• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Super Mario Bros. U

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I started playing the game today and have gotten through World 1 and the tower on World 2. So far, it's a lot of fun and it looks to only get better from here. It was easy for me to lose track of time when I played it. I also love feeding enemies to the baby Yoshis. It's a little easy but I'm not focusing on getting any Star Coins just yet and I don't have a problem if a game is easy if it is also a lot of fun. So what does everyone else think of the game so far? How does it compare to the other New Super Mario Bros. games?

woot21

super noob
I'm enjoying it so for. Though anyone know if there is the hint movies like there were in NSMBW? Also, are there any secret exits?

woot21 out dawgs

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't have the game (or a Wii U for that matter), but this game looks really neat, though, a definite improvement in the NSMB formula and everything NSMBWii and NSMB2 should've been.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I don't have the game (or a Wii U for that matter), but this game looks really neat, though, a definite improvement in the NSMB formula and everything NSMBWii and NSMB2 should've been.

I don't have them either, and your right; it looks like an improvement to the last two games in the series.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Just beat world 2 and I have to say, this new title feels fresh and surprisingly difficult.

woot21

super noob
Just beat world 2 and I have to say, this new title feels fresh and surprisingly difficult.
Until it starts handing you lives, just like NSMBW did. That is my main complaint with it so far. Have missed some Star Coins, which I will go back and get after beating the main game.

Also, the baby Yoshis, at least the blue one, make water levels way too easy.

woot21 out dawgs

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I just beat Bowser and I have to say that this is the best of the New Super Mario Bros. games. It was a lot of fun. I haven't gotten all of the Star Coins yet so I'll have to go back and do so, but I have caught Nabbit in all worlds. I also like how no one super power is miles above the others in usefulness (save for the Power Acorn, but that's just an Acorn version of the P-Wing) like the Raccoon Leaf in New Super Mario Bros. 2 was. Each super power had its own strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes 2-D Mario games, or Mario games in general.

R_N

I would say that the Squirrel Suit, in general is miles above anything else

Significant air control, an extra jump, & the ability to cling to walls make most levels a breeze (and majority of the star coins as well).

I really like the final boss fight. It actually involves trying to defeat Bowser instead of just running away from him. I also really like controlling the Koopa Clown Kart so that should be fun

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I would say that the Squirrel Suit, in general is miles above anything else

Significant air control, an extra jump, & the ability to cling to walls make most levels a breeze (and majority of the star coins as well).

Only on the platform levels with a lot of pits or on the fire levels in World 8. In the towers and castles, the Ice Flower is king, while against bosses and on overworld levels with a lot of Piranha Plants, the Fire Flower is the power-up of choice to tackle them. Underwater, either the Ice Flower or the Fire Flower is great.

woot21

super noob
Only on the platform levels with a lot of pits or on the fire levels in World 8. In the towers and castles, the Ice Flower is king, while against bosses and on overworld levels with a lot of Piranha Plants, the Fire Flower is the power-up of choice to tackle them. Underwater, either the Ice Flower or the Fire Flower is great.
Underwater the blue baby Yoshi is unmatched, unless the red one can be used the same way.

woot21 out dawgs

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Underwater the blue baby Yoshi is unmatched, unless the red one can be used the same way.

woot21 out dawgs

They can. I'd assume the Golden one can as well, but there aren't any chances to test it. It's meant to be a substitute for other underwater powerups, since this is the first game since World to not have a powerup that affects the way you swim, and even then you could consider holding an item while swimming a powerup in world, so it'd really be the first one since SMB1.

At least until Post-game.

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Iggy's Castle...so many deaths!

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I really like the final boss fight. It actually involves trying to defeat Bowser instead of just running away from him. I also really like controlling the Koopa Clown Kart so that should be fun

I really liked that as well. That's one of the reasons why before this game, the original New Super Mario Bros. was my favorite of the NSMB franchise, and why I liked the two Super Mario Galaxy games so much, too.

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
So, this is a good game. I have beaten Bowser and gotten all Star Coins and caught Nabbit in all of the first eight worlds. I am currently in the process of beating Superstar Road.

9-2 was not as difficult as I had heard, but the timing was a real pain, especially that third Star Coin. I could've cheated by using Propeller Mario, but I wanted to do it tough. 9-3 wasn't hard, just annoying. As long as I remembered to take it slow and shoot the damn fish, I was fine.

So far there has been nothing as difficult as NSMBW's 9-7, so let's see what the next five levels are like.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
The secret level in Rock Candy mines...the last Star Coin...how?

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
The secret level in Rock Candy mines...the last Star Coin...how?

That's Thrilling Spine Coaster, right? Yeah, that's one of the more annoying Star Coins.

[SPOIL]Shortly after you get the second Star Coin, you will go up an incline. At the apex, there will be a ? box containing a Starman. You need to grab that just before the coaster drops and try to keep the invincibility until the end of the ride. Just before the exit, you will see another ? box in between two bricks. If you are invincible when you hit it, another Starman comes out. If you are not invincible, it will just be a coin. The trick is to still be invincible when you get there (there is just enough time for it) and hit a Starman out. Grab it to prolong invincibility, then go through the exit pipe. You will see another ? box which, like the last one, is a Starman if you're invincible and a coin if you're not. Grab that Starman and run to the Star Coin, then run right back out of that alcove and ride the Spine Coasters home.[/SPOIL]

landshaymin

Follow my lead.
NSMBU is a great game. I've got it since (European) launch. The music sounds a bit tropical but I like that.
The levels look great in HD and Squirrel Mario is a great new power-up.
I like the idea that the adventure doesn't start at Peach's Castle
but somewhere far far away.
My favorite world is Frosted Glacier because of the world map music :) .
My favorite boss fight is the fight against Wendy. Don't know why, it's just good.
But now I have a question. Does anyone know how to get to Fliprus Lake, the secret level of Frosted Glacier?

Last edited:

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
But now I have a question. Does anyone know how to get to Fliprus Lake, the secret level of Frosted Glacier?

That is one of the nastiest secret exits I have seen in a Mario game.

[SPOIL]The secret exit is in Swaying Ghost House. Towards the end of the level, you will be in a room with a row of coins and a P-block. You need to hit the P-block, jump on top of the row of (now) bricks. As you jump, the row of bricks will come with you, carrying you to the top of the room. You need to be extremely quick to get up there, because you will want to keep jumping through the (false) ceiling of that room to find a secret door. In this room is another P-block. you will have to hurry down towards the door at the end, wall jumping to get the third Star Coin and then exit through the door to find the secret flagpole.

I think the idea is for you to be able to keep jumping to reach the false ceiling, but honestly I could never seem to do it. In the end, I just used a Super Acorn and flew up there. Propeller Mario would also be a fair option, but I hadn't unlocked Superstar Road when doing this.[/SPOIL]

woot21

super noob
That is one of the nastiest secret exits I have seen in a Mario game.

[SPOIL]The secret exit is in Swaying Ghost House. Towards the end of the level, you will be in a room with a row of coins and a P-block. You need to hit the P-block, jump on top of the row of (now) bricks. As you jump, the row of bricks will come with you, carrying you to the top of the room. You need to be extremely quick to get up there, because you will want to keep jumping through the (false) ceiling of that room to find a secret door. In this room is another P-block. you will have to hurry down towards the door at the end, wall jumping to get the third Star Coin and then exit through the door to find the secret flagpole.

I think the idea is for you to be able to keep jumping to reach the false ceiling, but honestly I could never seem to do it. In the end, I just used a Super Acorn and flew up there. Propeller Mario would also be a fair option, but I hadn't unlocked Superstar Road when doing this.[/SPOIL]
I got close once, but wasn't high enough to get on the floor. I just used a regular Acorn from the normal exit.

Currently working on getting all the Star Coins in the final world, then will head to the rest of Superstar Road.

Anyone know how to get the 5th star on your save?

woot21 out dawgs

Last edited: