• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New type

jvoie

an idiot who loves games
Since the introduction of fairy type I I have always wondered if GF would try to come up with a new type for gen 7 which didnt happen but maybe, just maybe, they could come up with a new type for this gen 8.

I cant think of anything that is why I wonder what do you guys think. If by any chance gf announces a new type then what do you think it will be? what advantages or weaknesses will it hold?
It is always fun to speculate before gf starts to release info on the game so share with me your ideas

PS: This is my first time creating a thread so I hope I am not doing anything wrong

Shockking

i dont know anymore
Honestly I don't think that there's any reason for them to add a new type. Fairy type was added to re-balance the types which was a good change since Dragon was previously overpowered offensively and defensively. I think experimenting with new/uncommon type combinations and abilities is more interesting than just adding new types.

Last edited:

jvoie

an idiot who loves games
Hinestly I don't think that there's any reason for them to add a new type. Fairy type was added to rebalance the types which was a good change since Dragon was previously overpowered offensively and defensively. I think experimenting with new/uncommon type combinations and abilities is more interesting than just adding new types.
you have a point there.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Cheese type would make most sense IMO.

Bug would be super effective on cheese but cheese would be super effective on fairy. Bug types take no damage from cheese attacks. Also fire melts cheese, soggy cheese is gross and you don't want anything growing on your cheese so the starter types would all be good against Cheese. Cheese is good against normal types as well cause normal people are easily tempted by the allure of cheese. Psychic, dark and fighting would all interact with cheese too but IDK how, other types would be neutral.

milk drink would be retyped as cheese type which would confuse people till the realise that the cheese type is called the lactose type in Japan.

Cheese-fighting pseudo legendary for gen 8.

Red and Blue

We got at least a few more gens before they introduce another type. What else they can use for a type is beyond me though.

jvoie

an idiot who loves games
Cheese type would make most sense IMO.

Bug would be super effective on cheese but cheese would be super effective on fairy. Bug types take no damage from cheese attacks. Also fire melts cheese, soggy cheese is gross and you don't want anything growing on your cheese so the starter types would all be good against Cheese. Cheese is good against normal types as well cause normal people are easily tempted by the allure of cheese. Psychic, dark and fighting would all interact with cheese too but IDK how, other types would be neutral.

milk drink would be retyped as cheese type which would confuse people till the realise that the cheese type is called the lactose type in Japan.

Cheese-fighting pseudo legendary for gen 8.
ahhahahaha! I am sorry I dont mean to be rude but I just couldn't contain my laugh xDD
Although it seems like a weird choice for a type I like it. I wonder of poison and metal would resist it? wouldnt poison spoil the cheese?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Before Fairy type the only new type that I felt could really work was 'Magic' type. Which honestly Fairy feels like I'm alot of ways.

If we do ever get a new type, which I don't think is necessary I hope it's not till gen10 or later.

Orphalesion

The most important thing is that there would have to be a reason for said type. There would have to be some gap in the current type chart to fill. Steel and Dark were created because the Gen 1 type chart stank to high heaven and Fairy was introduced because Dragon had become much more common over the generations and so it needed a better counter than Ice.

What serious problem is there left in the type chart for a new type to fill? I suppose Ice and Grass could use a boost, but creating a whole type just for those two to be resistant and super effective against would not be that good... It would be easier to accomplish by tweaking the current type chart.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Game Freak only introduces new types when one type becomes an OP and needs a new counter. Dark and Steel were introduced to counter Psychic and Fairy was introduced to counter Dragon. There's no issue like that right now, so they probably won't bother introducing a new one.

jvoie

an idiot who loves games
Not much more types they can introduce.... air/wind?, Light? I’m out of ideas already
I know, right? It is quite a challenge to try to guess what they could possibly come with.
Of course that, as stated above by others, gf might not introduce a new type as there is no necessity for it.
But hey! that doesnt prevent us from speculate, right? I would love to see a new type.
Air or wind? Doesnt flying tyoe already cover this? As for light, I think that fairy also might fall into that category

Ver-mont

I could see a Sound type, since we have a number of scattered sound-based mechanics and elements, without a dedicated type to unify them.

As others have mentioned, however, there's the type balance to consider. Until now, new types were only added when Game Freak felt they needed to improve the balance.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I could see a Sound type, since we have a number of scattered sound-based mechanics and elements, without a dedicated type to unify them.

As others have mentioned, however, there's the type balance to consider. Until now, new types were only added when Game Freak felt they needed to improve the balance.

I see sound more as a attribute. Kinda like how not all "punch" attacks are Fighting.

The one type I could kinda see working is Mutation type. It be explained as new and possibly as a result of humans' tech and interactions with Pokemon.

The good thing about it is since it is basically such a wild card they could kinda give it what ever weaknesses/resistances/etc they want, and even change it up when need be to adjust the balance some.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I don't know if GameFreak can think of a new type or if they should. Right now the typings we have are pretty balanced except for ice. All they need to do is buff up Ice and it's practically perfect. Than there's thinking of a new type. A lot of people keep suggesting the "Holy" or "Light" type and the answer GameFreak came up with is "Fairy" type which is that "Holy" or "Light" type but if you think about it still. Thinking of what is a "Fairy" type couldn't have been easy as fire, grass and water. What else is there?

Orphalesion

That's what I'm thinking too, if Gamefreak was to create another type it'd be something nobody or very few people fans would have thought of before hand and that might end up quite complex.

I mean if you look around, lots of people still don't quite get the fairy type and try to shoehorn it into either "the mythology type" or "the magic type" when no, it's the Fairy type and it might contain elements of folklore and magic, but neither does it cover all of folklore/magic, nor do those two aspects cover everything the Fairy type represents.

From the commonly suggested types I guess the Sound type seems the most like it could be a thing. Sound is a phenomenon that reacts very differently to various substances and aspects of nature. Like it could be weak against Grass (sound boosts plant growth) and Ice (noises can cause avalanches) and strong against fighting and psychic maybe? (use sound to break their concentration)
But even with sound there's quite a few problems (too many song and noise based attacks that are already other types etc.)

The one type I could kinda see working is Mutation type. It be explained as new and possibly as a result of humans' tech and interactions with Pokemon.

And....what would that be? How would it translate into attacks and Pokemon designs that differ from other types? Especially in a way that woulnd't be "sooper edgy" and have Pokemon run around with cancerous tumors, chemical scars or deformed extremities..
Pollution and mutation because of environmental degradation is kinda covered by the Poison type with things like Grimer (thought to be fair Grimer could be retyped to Poison/Mutation if they were to introduce a type like that) and it seems the dark type also covers some of the adaption to environmental degradation, as seen in Alolan Ratata and Grimer.

But, like, what would a "Mutation" type Eeveelution look like?

Theoretically, a type representing environmental degradation would be a natural foil for the Fairy type if it ever becomes OP, but in practice it might be difficult to keep it in line with Pokemon's overall optimistic tone and cute designs.

Last edited:

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Wind types still makes sense to me, like the element of air (like in the last air bender) rather than the capability to fly. Most flying types attacks are about wings or beaks anyway and some of the other attacks could be retyped as wimd. So there'd be enough difference to differentiate between the two. There would be overlap between them of course but there are overlapping types like normal/fighting or ground/rock in the current games anyway.

Lucky3

Since they'd only introduce a new type for the sake of balance, I think it's best to see what types need nerfing and which need buffing and then come up with a concept that could embody those weaknesses and strengths. Because I think that's what GF themselves would do. I'm not that familiar with the metagame. Is any particular type wreaking havoc? Or one that seems underpowered?

Acer11

I could see Light being strong against Dark, Ghost, and Poison. The reason, I could see this hypothetical type to not just symbolize brightness, but also as holy and purified.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I could see Light being strong against Dark, Ghost, and Poison. The reason, I could see this hypothetical type to not just symbolize brightness, but also as holy and purified.

That hurt Dark and Ghost type alot. Dark type moves are super effective to Ghost and resist themselves. Ghost types are super effective to themseleves and resistedrthisby Dark.

With this there almost be no reason to bother with Dark or Ghost, u less you really are hurting to knock out some Psychic types and lack Bug type options.