• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New type

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
what about the 'anti' type. A type that changes each time when you battle another pokémon.
so if you battle a water type your pokémon changes into a grass type and so on.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Fighting and Fairy already cover Light well enough on their own.

The less redundant types, the better.

what about the 'anti' type. A type that changes each time when you battle another pokémon.
so if you battle a water type your pokémon changes into a grass type and so on.

But that wouldn't be a type in and of itself, just possessing the capability to become other types.

That'd be best suited to an Ability, and we already have multiple type-changing ones.

Last edited:

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
What about Beast type? Add that to each ultrabeast in place of one of their existing types. I think Ultra beasts deserve (possibly warrant) their own type given how weird they are. Something coming from another dimension would make sense having an entirely new type as well, and it isn't like retconning typing for earlier Pokemon is unprecedented.

jvoie

an idiot who loves games
What about Beast type? Add that to each ultrabeast in place of one of their existing types. I think Ultra beasts deserve (possibly warrant) their own type given how weird they are. Something coming from another dimension would make sense having an entirely new type as well, and it isn't like retconning typing for earlier Pokemon is unprecedented.
that actually makes sense. As foreign creatures to the world of pokemon it is weird that the share the same type as normal pokemon. The thing is how would that work in terms of weaknesses and advantages?

Orphalesion

that actually makes sense. As foreign creatures to the world of pokemon it is weird that the share the same type as normal pokemon. The thing is how would that work in terms of weaknesses and advantages?

But it would be even more weird if every creature from all those foreign worlds and dimensions would share the same type with one another....

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
A strange type as the opposite of normal ?

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer

Part of me thought of giving the type a blanket effect, maybe a 10% increase to damage done vs decrease in damage received, to emphasize the otherworldly nature of the ultra beasts. Otherwise you could just insert them into the type match-ups, giving them strength against normal, fairy, and fighting and make them weak to dragon and dark... maybe. I haven't put much thought into it, that might be a horrible match-up.

But it would be even more weird if every creature from all those foreign worlds and dimensions would share the same type with one another....

I see what you mean. I suppose it is stranger the less strange the ultra dimension is (or whatever the other dimension you get into is called, the Sun/Moon story is fuzzy in my head). For instance, I really like the movie the Mist, and that is almost the type of design vibe I get from the ultra beasts. So, if the point is that these ultra beasts are torn from some nightmarish realm, giving them a universal type to reflect that deviation makes sense. However, I agree that it would be a bit weird that they all share a similar typing just from being from another dimension. I suppose this is a suggestion meant to capture a dimension born from different physical laws and chemistry.

KKS-Lapras

I personally they would make a couple simple tweaks to the current type chart. There's still a couple inequities amongst the types.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Actually, at one point I had an idea for an Alien type, but that was before Ultra Beasts were introduced. I think if they were going to bother making an Alien type, they would've done so when they introduced all of those foreign Pokemon from other dimensions.

As for type matchups, I had thought making it strong against Electric (aliens disrupt electrical signals), Water (aliens are sometimes shown to siphon water from the planet), and maybe Ghost (disrupting spirits similarly to electrical signals? IDK on this one) and weak against Grass and Poison (aliens are typically depicted as being weak to Earth's environment). Never really ironed the type matchups though, admittedly the logic on some of these is kind of a stretch.

Zaide

That's not what "Normal" means. Normal, in the context of Pokemon, basically means a basic, non-elemental type.

So an opposite of Normal would be...literally every other type.
Yup. And honestly, what would be the opposite of normal in terms of gameplay? Weak to practically every type, but super effective against practically every type? Resistant to practically every type, but weak against practically every type? In the case of the former (weak defense, effective offense), that would be ridiculously OP. Keep in mind that in most RPGs, perks/items that boost your damage by a considerable amount (here by a factor of 2) generally lower your health or your resistances by a greater factor (3 or 4 from what I've seen). That would make no sense to introduce such a type.

Personnally, I really don't see the need for a new type. I feel like most types proposed are sort of covered by other existing types. Some types I've seen proposed :
-> Light : Electric, fire. However, if there is one type that could make sense to add, though, it's that one, from a less realistic and more fantasy point of view. It appears in a lot of RPGs that have elements like fire or electricity as the "pure" element, which we dont really have in Pokémon - Fairy maybe if we want to stretch things up.
-> Cosmic/Alien/Celestial : Psychic, rock, steel. I understand a lot of Pokemon could get that type, with probably 75% of them already being psychic type without counting the UBs.
-> Sound : Flying, normal. And honestly, that doesn't even make sense as a type. As said previously, it's more of an attribute.
-> Air : Flying. Nothing more to say. Flying is the equivalent from the popular air element in most other RPGs. It would be extremely redundant.
-> Crystal : Rock. Crystals are rocks. Maybe ice for the "color" aspect.
-> Plasma : Electric. That's literally what plasma is; ions.
-> Shadow : Dark, ghost. Keep that to Pokemon XD.

So yeah, Light is probably the only one that I'd be on board with. As far as potential Pokémon that could receive it, I could see the following : Lanturn, Ampharos, Volbeat, Illumise, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Lumineon, Xurkitree.
And for the type chart, something like that :
463f1c0759.png

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Purity and Holiness are already pretty much covered by Fairy type, imho. Look at Xarneas, Diancie, Guardevoir, Florges, Togekiss, Mega-Altaria and , to some extend, the Tapus.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
-> Cosmic/Alien/Celestial : Psychic, rock, steel. I understand a lot of Pokemon could get that type, with probably 75% of them already being psychic type without counting the UBs.

Eh, Alien isn't quite in the same boat. Cosmic/Celestial would be covered by Psychic, yes, those types are specifically based on spatial energy that could be (and has been) classified under Psychic. But Alien isn't just about supernatural abilities, it also covers any types of strange, unusual species that wouldn't be naturally found on Earth. The only thing that really kills Alien type is that they created the UBs without giving them a new type based around that concept. But if you look at the UBs, they aren't really all supernatural. They don't attack using mental/cosmic energy or anything like that, they're just unusual creatures that aren't anything like we have on Earth.

Missingno.Fan

I have toyed with the idea of something like Science/Technology type. Sound type also sounds good. I really doubt there are going to come up with any new types any time soon.

Kirby Dragons

I've toyed with the ideas of Cat- and Dog-type, which would be animal types like Dragon- and Bug-type. There are a lot of cat and dog Pokemon that could easily pick these types up.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
^It can work, the problem is, you have only one family that can be retconned to it(Trubbish-line) with the rest of the inflatable species being dependent on the conceptualization of the type.
This means you are stuck with a Steel-type esque situation, you have to create a bunch of new Pokémon to fill in the area retroactively for each gen.
The only reason you would want to go with this is if you want to create another Physically oriented type to match pre-Physical/Special split type chart.

Edit: To use the rest of this dead space;
I think I made it pretty obvious that I firmly believe new types(plural) are kind of inevitable for the metagame if triple types don't become a thing, and I'm not going to put another essay people won't read for that. But while the next gen would be a good time to introduce new types(again, plural, not singular) Fairy-type needs to establish itself further and Ice-type needs to have more Pokémon to be somewhat relevant before any buffs. Due to this, I'm more inclined to believe we will see two new types in Gen 10, not Gen 8, which would be 6 years from now and by then all possible type combinations will be covered.

Another issue I have is most of the possible new types tend to be Special-leaning whereas we know if/when GF introduces a new Specially oriented type, they will likely have Physically oriented counterpart to it as well (like Dark and Steel). But most of the often proposed Physical types are very derivative stuff like Beast, Dinosaur etc.

Last edited:

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I honestly consider the Fairy type to be more "myth and magic", so the only type that I could see them adding is Holy (I refuse to call it "Light" because light can mean soooo many things. Fire is light. Electricity is light.) But I also don't see them adding a new type any time soon.