• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New type

Kdude146

I don't think we need any more types we have 18 times now a nice even number and they are all balanced so I say just leave things the way they are now.

Orphalesion

Well, as TrainerYusuf said, eventually they might want to introduce new types simply in order to offer something new and exciting once all possible type combinations and such have been used and used again. I think that might take still longer than Gen 10 though, considering how conservative GF tends to be with type combinations.

I really don’t like the idea of making ‘Sound’ as a type.

Making sound is a NORMAL thing to do even in Pokemon world that’s why all Sound based moves were typed as normal.

KKS-Lapras

Said it before, and I'll say it again. There's no need for another type. Buff the Ice type on the current type chart, maybe a couple other minor changes. Otherwise, put the focus into new Pokemon.

Ver-mont

I really don’t like the idea of making ‘Sound’ as a type.

Making sound is a NORMAL thing to do even in Pokemon world that’s why all Sound based moves were typed as normal.
Chatter.

Noibat and Noivern's kinda awkward typing.

They don't need to include a Sound type, but there's certainly a "gap" there that allows it, just like there was for the Fairy type before.

KKS-Lapras

Sound based attacks being "Normal type moves" is to me is like the difference in a. Flying wing based attacks and physical based attacks that are "flying" related, and b. attacks like Whirlwind that are based on literally "wind and air". Should this type be divided into two types, Flying Type and Air/Wind Type. Most people would argue no to that kind of division, and I personally see Sound based attacks in the same vein.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
If we get a new type Game Freak should not make the same mistake in G8 that they did in XY - giving the brand new Fairy type a Gym but not giving the Dark Type a Gym after it had been waiting for 14 years for one. The wait is now at 20 years, but hopefully they won't p*ss off Dark's fans this time. So both a prospective new type and the Dark type should get Gyms.

KKS-Lapras

If we get a new type Game Freak should not make the same mistake in G8 that they did in XY - giving the brand new Fairy type a Gym but not giving the Dark Type a Gym after it had been waiting for 14 years for one. The wait is now at 20 years, but hopefully they won't p*ss off Dark's fans this time. So both a prospective new type and the Dark type should get Gyms.

I don't want a new type, but a Dark type gym, that needs to happen. A return to form, with 8 gyms and an Elite4, that needs to happen.

Ver-mont

Sound based attacks being "Normal type moves" is to me is like the difference in a. Flying wing based attacks and physical based attacks that are "flying" related, and b. attacks like Whirlwind that are based on literally "wind and air". Should this type be divided into two types, Flying Type and Air/Wind Type. Most people would argue no to that kind of division, and I personally see Sound based attacks in the same vein.
That's not the same thing. Wind moves are considered part of the Flying type, just like space related things are considered part of the Psychic type, and pollution related things are considered part of the Poison type. They're very consistent, even though, theoretically, they all could be different types.

Sound, on the other hand, isn't really consistently a part of any other type. There are sound-based concepts; many of them fall into the Normal type (as in, the "none-of-the-other-specific-types type"), but then you have sound-based stuff scattered through a handful of types, not just when it comes to moves. For instance, you have Noibat and Noivern, whose concept revolves around sound waves, with the weird typing of Flying/Dragon, in that order – why not Normal/Dragon, if sound is meant to be considered part of the Normal type?

At least to me, it sounds less like sound is meant to be part of the Normal type and more like it usually falls into Normal simply because it's not consistently incorporated by any specific type.

KKS-Lapras

That's not the same thing. Wind moves are considered part of the Flying type, just like space related things are considered part of the Psychic type, and pollution related things are considered part of the Poison type. They're very consistent, even though, theoretically, they all could be different types.

Sound, on the other hand, isn't really consistently a part of any other type. There are sound-based concepts; many of them fall into the Normal type (as in, the "none-of-the-other-specific-types type"), but then you have sound-based stuff scattered through a handful of types, not just when it comes to moves. For instance, you have Noibat and Noivern, whose concept revolves around sound waves, with the weird typing of Flying/Dragon, in that order – why not Normal/Dragon, if sound is meant to be considered part of the Normal type?

At least to me, it sounds less like sound is meant to be part of the Normal type and more like it usually falls into Normal simply because it's not consistently incorporated by any specific type.

Noibat/Noivern are very clearly "Flying", with wings, have other Flying type moves.

Theoretically, if a "Sound type" would come to be a reality, Noibat/Noivern would more likely become Normal/Sound. Sound/Dragon seems less likely.

Ver-mont

Noibat/Noivern are very clearly "Flying", with wings, have other Flying type moves.

Theoretically, if a "Sound type" would come to be a reality, Noibat/Noivern would more likely become Normal/Sound. Sound/Dragon seems less likely.
They do have wings, but so do a number of other winged Pokémon that are not Flying-types, some of them Dragons too. And it's their first type, as opposed to every other non-Tornadus Flying Pokémon. I've always figured the primary Flying type was meant to evoke the sound waves traveling through the air, since that's their main theme.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Virus type.

This type should have been incorporated when PokéRus became a thing, as it covers the one area of life Pokémon hasn't touched: bacteria. In addition, it also covers the cconcepts of distortion and infection. Along with real life organisms spreading viruses and causing infection, electronics also hold this distinction. Electronics, like humans, can carry and spread viruses to other electronics, and this would be a great concept for many pokemon. Personally, I've always felt Porygon-Z should be a Virus type.

In theory, Virus type would have effectiveness and weaknesses based on the concepts of infection and healing. Types with concepts of being prone to infection would be weak against the Virus type; conversely, types that are known for healing and curing ailments would be super effective against it. In that vein, the Virus type would resist types it could easily infect, but deal little to no damage to types with organisms known for freely carrying viruses.

EFFECTIVENESS
2.0x - Normal, Fighting, Psychic, Dragon, Steel
0.5x - Grass, Fire, Poison, Flying
0.0x - Bug

WEAKNESS
2.0x - Normal, Grass, Fire, Fairy
0.5x - Poison, Psychic, Dragon, Steel
0.0x - Fighting

Last edited: