1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

New Ways to Find/Catch Pokémon

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation 8 Discussion' started by Kirby Dragons, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Kirby Dragons

Kirby Dragons Well-Known Member

You walk over the tall grass, and you might encounter a Pokémon. That's standard. But tall grass isn't the only place this can happen; you can also have wild encounters in caves or on water. You can also force encounters with fishing, and there have been multiple ways to find Pokémon from trees.

But it would be cool to see more things you travel over like tall grass. I had multiple ideas. For example, fires. There would be small, localized fires, and you can walk over them if your leading Pokémon had Flash Fire. In the fires, you'd be able to find unique Fire-types.

Another idea was, if you used Sky Attack outside of battle, it'd take you into the sky, where you'd land on a cloud and be able to find unique Flying-types.

The idea might sound like HMs, but doing these would be completely optional, and only to catch Pokémon. It'd actually be a good way to split the old/new Pokémon. You could catch a Pokémon from an earlier Gen with Flash Fire, and go into a fire to catch a new one. Also, not all the new grass alternatives would need an Ability/move to walk on. An example would be junk. If you walked over it, you could find Poison- and Bug-types.

As another idea, I don't think you've ever been able to buy Pokémon, but there could be a few of them up for sale for high prices. You'd buy them at the equivalent of a pet store.

What are some other new ways we could obtain Pokémon in Generation 8?

Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  2. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

Camp out for the night. You wake up to a Pokemon rummaging around your camp, que battle.

Kawaii Emolga and Trainer Yusuf like this.
  3. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

You set up a cardboard box held up by a stick with a pull string attached. The Pokemon is attracted by the bait, walks under the box, you pull the string which drops the box on top off the Pokemon.

4. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

I want to see them do more with sidequests. I know they have kind of touched on this with USUM but there's a lot more they can do with the idea. Have Pokemon be given to you through sidequests, caught at the end of them, appear in the wild after completing them, things like that. It would make the sidequests more worthwhile and add a lot more depth to the game that way.

In 1st and 2nd gen they had Pokemon as Game Corner prizes, you could buy them with the coins you won there (or you could just buy the coins and trade them for the Pokemon if you were rich enough). Oddly though, they stopped offering Pokemon as prizes even before they stopped including the Game Corner, Hoenn and Sinnoh's Game Corners only offered items as a reward. Not entirely sure why, but I would guess Game Freak has an ethical issue with treating Pokemon as commodities which is why we haven't seen something like that since. The pet store idea might work though.

I know this is a joke, but they could actually do something like this minus the cardboard box bit. We've had similar mechanics in the past with things like the Pokeblock feeders and the Honey Trees.

5. pokedigijedi

pokedigijedi Saiyan Jedi

To find Pokemon, make it so they appear in the overworld (but maintain the random encounters in places such as tall grass) when they appear in the overworld you can interact with them, there you can befriend them and convince to join your team or battle them then catch them. (will not work on all Pokemon, some individuals will still attack you as soon as you interact with them especially if they are legendaries)

6. paipr_christian

What if we do a side quest and besides a special battle at the end, it also expands the wild Pokemon. Like say the quest ends with you battling/catching a Bewear, it also makes it so Stuffal and/or Bewear appear on '' route" as regular wild Pokemon.

7. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

I’ve been thinking about shadows in the water like Pokémon soaring down in previous games and there, the Pokémon jumps out of the water and it triggers an encounter. It’s similar to these encounters in previous games expect it’s not even done yet on water.

8. Bolt the Cat

How is this different from the rippling water in BW or the splashes that chase you around in SM?

9. Mega Altaria

The only thing different about it is as the player approaches the shadow, the Pokémon jumps out. This is unlike the player having to go over the ripple or make controlled contact with the silhouette of the wild Pokémon.

10. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

My main hope is more biomes for existing types, like a biome for Poison-types, another for Fighting-types etc. and more overworld encounters. I generally think GF intends to remove random encounters by minimizing them generation by generation, so I would like see more species that spawn in the overworld.
    Sidequesting would also be cool, and will likely happen in the future, even if it doesn't happen in the first game of Gen 8.
    I can't really say anything about Legendaries because it seems GF has started to have difficulties with handling them.
    On the whole soaring thing, I think that will return as a PokéRide, but I think it will take a while for it to become a standard feature.

11. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

It's not new, but I'd really like to see diving back and being able to hunt for Pokemon in thickets of seaweed and in coral reefs.

And for something that is new; I'd like to see us be able to catch deep sea Pokemon, Since we can't very well dive down into the abyssal layer of the ocean, I could imagine a sort of mini-game where we plunge a robotic probe into the open sea and then have a sort of minigame where we seek out Pokemon in the lightless depths with a sort of echo-location/radar and then....well...maybe sort of "teleport" them up to where we are for a Pokemon fight? Or capture them in the Probe and call the probe back up.

Kirby Dragons likes this.
  12. Bolt the Cat

Well, in this series they'd rather have Pokemon do stuff like that instead of technology. So maybe they could do a minigame like that with Lanturn.

Speaking of diving, I have always wanted soaring to work similarly (even before soaring was a thing), where you could soar up into the sky and navigate through cloud mazes to reach inaccessible parts of the overworld. Along with that, you could find Pokemon hidden in cloud patches.

13. Mega Altaria

Maybe we can find Pokémon by moving around overworld objects. Maybe in a cave, the player moves around a couple of boulders and finds a Pokémon in hiding there, in which it later attacks in belief that it was threatened. Or in a factory, we can find Pokémon there by moving around some boxes.

14. Ignition

Ignition Meltan is the only good aspect of LGPE

Finding Pokémon in labs of Aether or a new evil teams laboratory:

Make it a post game event. A Scientist runs to you for help as they know you're capable as a Trainer.You find out the Pokémon have been modified with abnormal traits and they've taken over the lab. You go to find Pokémon with rare moves, good IVs, a hidden ability, being a Shiny, or any of the aforementioned that the species couldn't usually get (i.e a Pikachu with Ice Punch). It'd be anywhere from 5-20 Pokémon. It'd be a dungeon like area and, after you initially enter, a shadowed Pokémon would knock down soms nearby objects to create a barricade, making escaping impossible (there'd be a helper Chansey on the middle floor as a mini reward to heal you). A way to make this more interesting is its randomized for each save file of a game. As for how it's decided, maybe you make choices in the duration of your journey to help injured or endangered Pokémon. The quality of how you execute your plan determines the Pokémon's unique trait(s) and how easy it's to catch.

Once you reach the end, the shadowed figure from before comes out and is revealed to be the 3rd Type:Null (now a Silvally who befriended the Scientist) and it lunges at you. You're dragged into a Totem battle where Silvally is at +2 and its item is a Memory SE against your first Pokémon. Its allies will be any 2 Pokémon in its type category. Oncs defeated, the Scientist decides you should be its Trainer. It's revealed the Scientist is none other than Colress. He thought all the Pokémon you brought to the sanctuary where being treated with respect, but was sadly mistaken. He gives you the Memories before leaving

15. lolipiece

lolipiece ウソです2.0 Staff Member Moderator

Something not tedious, please and thank you. Waiting a day to see if something is at a Honey Tree is not fun, Game Freak. Nor is having to talk to a lot of people for Spiritomb.

Hmm. Some Pokemon hate each other, like Seviper and Zangoose, or are prey/prey on, like Durant and Heatmor. Why not attract one half of a pair by having the other in the first member of the party.

If it's a game like LGPE where Pokemon follow you, it'd make perfect sense since the attacking Pokemon could see your lead in the overworld.

16. paipr_christian

What if using certain attacks could attract Pokemon, but in battle. Almost like adrenaline orbs, but different. Obviously we wouldn't want every time we use say, Ember, for Fire types to appear, or every time Thunderbolt is used for electric types to enter the battle. It be worse than AOs then.

But perhaps if there was a way to make it so you had the option to try and attract additional wild Pokemon with your Pokemon attacks....

17. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I think it would be nice if they put back the feature where you trade pokemon with random people. It was a good way to send out breed rejects of rarities and receive interesting pokemon at the start of your journey back in XY

18. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they include Wonder Trade again?

Personally I hardly use it, but I know it can be fun for some people.

19. DR.gonzo

DR.gonzo Well-Known Member

They just need to encorporate all past caching techniques from previous generations ,
    Headbut on trees/bushes
    Rocksmash on boulders/rocks
    Honey on trees with a better mechanic and time frame .
    Shadow swooping for flying types
    Trash can shakes around large cities for an encounter
    Hidden Grottos for final evos
    Swarms
    Bug catching contest
    Fishing/Rockpool catching contest
    Type of safari park/trail
    Shaking patches of grass/trees/bushes for better IV,moves etc
    Complete task/trails/errands for people to get Pokémon not in the wild
    Battling competitions to win a rare Pokémon like the fighting dojo in saffron city
    1% chance to encounter fully evolved Pokémon in various places like dragonite/metagross in Black/white etc
    Go all out and bring back seasons with various Pokémon only available in certain seasons or wether conditions .

I’m sure if they just put everything into one game then we would have enough different ways of obtaining Pokémon it will keep everyone engaged enough not to get bored so just searching grass/caves and water .

As something new I’d also like to see something implemented like we’ve seen in the Anime or Movies , were say a rare Pokémon takes a liking to you and will follow you closely giving you the chance to catch it after later on in the game . Have the mon appear and run off in cities routes etc, could be watching you closely from small cut scenes etc .
    Like when ash received Tepig, or how Mew,Victini or Marshadow follows him . Could be a fun way to obtain something that might not be catchable like a Mimikyu or Espurr .

20. Mega Altaria

If the following Pokémon mechanic returns, maybe we’ll have encounters based on the Pokémon that’s following you. Maybe if we have a Legendary Pokémon following the player then rarer Pokémon and an increased likelihood of shiny Pokémon can gather around the player and trigger these encounters.