• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Years Pokemon Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
That's the funny thing, back when DP was airing I thought it was going to go on longer than AG despite airing in the same 4-year timeframe.

But if you remove the two clip shows, DP only actually has 189 episodes compared to AG's 191. Which means these clip show specials actually are killing a week off from the episode count. Otherwise why didn't DP have as many episodes as AG did despite airing for the same 4-year timeframe?

This isn't "a clip show special" that replaced the regular airing, it's the annual New Year's special that just happened to be mostly a clip show this year. There were 4 New Year's specials during DP too, them not being clip shows is completely irrelevant to any argument you may make. If they hadn't aired a clip show this week, they'd have aired something else that wasn't the next standard episode. Probably a rerun of the Victini movie or something.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I wish the clip shows (and this) would pull a Community and air scenes that never happened.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Its a godsend the dub never airs these boring clip shows. What a waste of a week,

I agree, although it seems most people knew that this would only be a clip show and not a completely new episode. Still, I can't imagine that any kid would be interested in a clip show to begin with. I mean if you're watching the anime, there's a good chance you already know what's been going on. What kind of ratings do these things get anyway?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I mean if you're watching the anime, there's a good chance you already know what's been going on.

The purpose of this special wasn't to let people catch up, but to have them laugh at the funny clips they showed. And only half of it was a clip show anyway.

What kind of ratings do these things get anyway?

Low. New Year's is a massive family event in Japan, and children are occupied with festivities, not watching TV. That's why they have these non-standard specials in place of normal episodes in the first place, they know a lot of kids aren't going to be watching anyway.

Last edited:

*~Silver*~

Because its nothing new. They did these clip shows back in Hoenn and DP too, and the dub thankfully skipped over them.

We don't need a whole episode just of clips from older eps.

Kid reactions to the old voice actors would be interesting, but yes, I actually agree in a way. It is something I might watch online with subtitles in the time of eventually, but until then, pfft... xD

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Kid reactions to the old voice actors would be interesting, but yes, I actually agree in a way. It is something I might watch online with subtitles in the time of eventually, but until then, pfft... xD

I don't think that really matters, now more than half the show is dubbed by PUSA. They've each dubbed 8 seasons now.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Man, watching stuff in japanese when you're used to the dub is surreal.

nuzamaki90

That's the funny thing, back when DP was airing I thought it was going to go on longer than AG despite airing in the same 4-year timeframe.

But if you remove the two clip shows, DP only actually has 189 episodes compared to AG's 191. Which means these clip show specials actually are killing a week off from the episode count. Otherwise why didn't DP have as many episodes as AG did despite airing for the same 4-year timeframe?

Because DP didn't have a filler saga, it had a god awful amount of filler episodes, but not a filler saga. IF you take the Battle Frontier saga out of AG, DP runs a whole lot longer than AG, even without clip shows.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
So far, I liked it. the whole thing looked cute from the pictures :3...

...of course the island of giant pokemon was on there. XD

aside from that, N looked awesome looking around...is that after corless and Gehtsis run away or something...?

and finally...
Irisandashinjapaneseclothing.jpg

IRis in a Kimono?

...was there a special exactly like this during D/P?

...my motives for wanting to know are secret.

...though it has something to do with Dawn. /killed XD

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Because DP didn't have a filler saga, it had a god awful amount of filler episodes, but not a filler saga. IF you take the Battle Frontier saga out of AG, DP runs a whole lot longer than AG, even without clip shows.

I'm talking about the series as a whole. DP was actually only 189 episodes if you don't count clip shows, yet AG still came to 191 episodes even excluding that clip show it had.

They both aired over the same time period of 4 years, so why does DP have a two episode less count?

BlueDragonfangirl

Yah, that should be funny. Imagine, kids of this generation thinking the newer voices sound better than the older onesXD

Yah, that should be funny. Imagine, kids of this generation thinking the newer voices sound better than the older onesXD

To be fair, a lot of the voice actors now are very good. I like the voices of all the rivals, Zager, Professor Juniper, Cilan and Iris. All very well done in my opinion.

BlueDragonfangirl

To be fair, a lot of the voice actors now are very good. I like the voices of all the rivals, Zager, Professor Juniper, Cilan and Iris. All very well done in my opinion.

Oh I agree, they've gotten better as the series goes on. I'd just find it funny cuz so many people who watched the past series miss the older VAs and think they are the best but if the new fandom like the newer ones that'd be funny as heck.

I don't think that really matters, now more than half the show is dubbed by PUSA. They've each dubbed 8 seasons now.

Well, no, TPCi's still not done with their 7th season yet. XD.

4Kids still has more of the show dubbed. TPCi won't even be equal to their count until...about 10 episodes into their 9th season.

Still, pretty clear TPCi will dub the rest of the series, no doubt about that. Especially since 4Kids kicked the bucket recently. XD.

Oh I agree, they've gotten better as the series goes on. I'd just find it funny cuz so many people who watched the past series miss the older VAs and think they are the best but if the new fandom like the newer ones that'd be funny as heck.

I'm really like that: honestly I think the older VAs are one of the main reasons why I like the older seasons so much: they had this charm to them that really stays with you for a while...that, or by 8 seasons in, I just couldn't imagine the characters with different voices at that stage.

I think that if they were going to change the voices, doing it earlier like at the beginning of AG, or later at the beginning of DP, would've been an easier transition for older fans.

It would be funny as heck if they did. I'd just be shocked and say...well, I can't blame you guys...haha. They've probably grown on them like the older cast grew on us-- although, the current dub cast has grown on me as well in the last seven years, so I'm fine with them as well these days. :)

I've never actually had a problem with most of the voices for newer characters-- Iris' dub VA did annoy me at the beginning, but I like it now. My favorite is Cilan's VA, Jason Griffith: hilarious and really fitting (funny, because I hated him as Usopp, but I can't blame him since even Taylor and several others were way off their A-game in OP 4Kids dub, due to poor vocal direction).

It was moreso the replacement voices that bugged me, though I'm good with them these days. :)

Yeah. I miss the original dubbers. First 8 seasons... Yeah... xD

I do as well, actually. I can't deny 4Kids definitely did a good job with their run of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

No, Johto had a god awful amount of filler episodes, DP had less then AG..

It was moreso the replacement voices that bugged me, though I'm good with them these days. :)

I do as well, actually. I can't deny 4Kids definitely did a good job with their run of Pokemon.

"These DONUTS are really good! I really like these DONUTS!" - Brock..

Honestly, I don't think anybody should've been bothered by the replacement voices if they were able to put nostalgia aside. I think you, and the majority that took 'offence' were really just bugged by the replacement by itself, because most/you(?) have a feeling of nostalgia attached to those voices. I personally thought that Veronica Taylor as Ash was horrifying... Yes, I just said that. I'm Dutch - you can hate on that as well for me trying to come off as superior in your eyes - , we have our own dub in the Netherlands - not saying ours is better in anyway, so don't hate on that - , so I can compare, the US to Japanese for instance, far more easily without being hindered by nostalgia, as neither was my original experience.

In my experience, it goes:
- Dutch
- Japanese
- US

I'm well aware that Dutch is on top because of nostalgia factor, and that it wouldn't be in the top 3 for any American. Yet, when I cross off the Dutch dub, I'm still left with two unbiased experiences, in which the Japanese is above the US. Now, I'm not trying to put off the original version over the US dub, but I'm just trying to make a point that a lot of people are still biased to the old voices, solely based on nostalgia. 4Kids did a mediocre job at best, made quite a few horrible edits, and a lot of lines were horrible to listen to, hence my above quote.

ludiloco

000163.jpg

They mentioned the ridiculous strength of Ash's since he can carry a 109lb pokemon in his head LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.