• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Years Pokemon Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Aker

I honestly expected some different clips, the ones that seem to be chosen...other than maybe the Snorlax apple thing weren't all that funny.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
So... no info on Charizard right? :/

Whirl134

None of those clips made me laugh despite Pokemon having plenty of funny moments. I guess the Japanese just have a different kind of humor than we do?

knux-the-killer

So... no info on Charizard right? :/

Why you guys are so pumped for Charizard anyway? I never understood why he's so loved. I liked him more when he got the right idea (not giving a damn to Ash's orders, good old times)

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Why you guys are so pumped for Charizard anyway? I never understood why he's so loved. I liked him more when he got the right idea (not giving a damn to Ash's orders, good old times)

1. Nostalgia
2. Because he's a beast
3. He hasn't appeared in 6 or something like that years
4. He's basically Ash's strongest Pokemon, and he's from the first generation

The fandom loves him.

No, Johto had a god awful amount of filler episodes, DP had less then AG..

"These DONUTS are really good! I really like these DONUTS!" - Brock..

Honestly, I don't think anybody should've been bothered by the replacement voices if they were able to put nostalgia aside. I think you, and the majority that took 'offence' were really just bugged by the replacement by itself, because most/you(?) have a feeling of nostalgia attached to those voices. I personally thought that Veronica Taylor as Ash was horrifying... Yes, I just said that. I'm Dutch - you can hate on that as well for me trying to come off as superior in your eyes - , we have our own dub in the Netherlands - not saying ours is better in anyway, so don't hate on that - , so I can compare, the US to Japanese for instance, far more easily without being hindered by nostalgia, as neither was my original experience.

In my experience, it goes:
- Dutch
- Japanese
- US

I'm well aware that Dutch is on top because of nostalgia factor, and that it wouldn't be in the top 3 for any American. Yet, when I cross off the Dutch dub, I'm still left with two unbiased experiences, in which the Japanese is above the US. Now, I'm not trying to put off the original version over the US dub, but I'm just trying to make a point that a lot of people are still biased to the old voices, solely based on nostalgia. 4Kids did a mediocre job at best, made quite a few horrible edits, and a lot of lines were horrible to listen to, hence my above quote.

Well, that's your opinion, bro. I respect it. Since I'm American and I've seen worse dubs over here, I never really minded the edits (they were so infinitesimal that I just winced and went "meh" each time) for the most part, but hey, to each their own. I'd say 4Kids did indeed do a good job here, but I guess it's just me.

No, nostalgia is not the main reason (it's there a bit, granted you're right to some degree, but not the main reason) why I prefer the older English dub voices. I just feel they fit the characters more, and are just all around better performances. Plus, TPCi's dub voices are definitely mostly different takes on the characters, and it does take time to adjust to them- Natochenny's BW take is one of the easier adjustments for me, to be honest.

I will say that there is a good point you made on how by that late into the series, you do indeed have an attachment to those voices. I still associate the 4Kids dub ones with the characters, so I'll give you there is a bit of nostalgia for them on my part, but definitely not the main reason for my preference on the matter and I don't let that cloud my judgment.

There is more to the 4Kids dub I prefer besides the voices, though: I miss whoever composed the intros, the dub replacement music (I don't like TPCi's replacement scores as much), and the script writers for TRio.

The 4Kids VAs in question we're referring to are definitely more experienced VAs from what I've seen, looking up their information and what roles both sets of casts have played. That's just one aspect I can argue for why I prefer them. They also put a lot more emotion into those roles overall and were never too shoddy at points (I'll give you Eric Stuart's James in AG was not so hot, but that's who he thought James was, and it was definitely hilarious to me). Again, it's all subjective. I have a very nice friend here called The Power of Pika who likes the TPCi dub style and their voices more, but we both agree it's just different tastes and all opinionated.

Sad part is, I prefer Veronica Taylor to Rica Matsumoto's work-- I just like her higher pitch more for Ash/Satoshi. I don't really know what to tell you on that one. It's fine if you don't like her work. I like Taylor's take the most, then Matsumoto, then Natochenny (who I like as well)...the only one I now dislike is Kayzie Rogers- sounds like Ash was conked in the head and went a wee too stupid for his own good. xD.

BTW, that's not the right quote.

Brock: "These donuts are great...jelly-filled are my favorite...nothing beats a jelly-filled donut."

I'll admit: not so great on their part, but really I could tell that was an onigiri around age 4... so I just shrugged and laughed it off.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not so sure the dub will skip the episode. Probably, since it seems like a clip show, but this is to make us laugh so it could be different this time. xD.

I like that Charizard will be returning. We haven't seen him since the battle with Brandon in the Battle Frontier.

Last edited:
Not so surprising. It's arguably one of the least popular seasons (other than Johto).

I'm trying to think of a hilarious moment from Hoenn they could have used. Maybe when Harley dressed up as May? Plus, I think Hoenn is kind of underrated. I think people did love it when it aired. The problem is when people talk about Pokémon now, Hoenn is the saga that doesn't have absolute nostalgia going for it like the OS did and it didn't happen that recently like DP and BW so it's not fresh in people's minds. This is why I think it's not brought up as much as other series.

Last edited:

Lady Marie

♥ AG Ash Fangirl ♥
None of those clips made me laugh despite Pokemon having plenty of funny moments. I guess the Japanese just have a different kind of humor than we do?

Yeah, they actually sorta, do. XD

Watching Japanese comedies sometimes, there are basically japanese only jokes that are only funny to them, but puzzling to non-Japanese.
-----------
Aww, I heard that they did'nt show any Hoenn moments. :( Dang that's sorta my favorate post OS series that's getting shafted if it's true.

Yeah, they actually sorta, do. XD

Watching Japanese comedies sometimes, there are basically japanese only jokes that are only funny to them, but puzzling to non-Japanese.

Snorlax chasing Ash when he was dressed as an apple was a good choice though. I bet Americans find that funny as well XD

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
The fact that had DP TRio in there at all is a disgrace XD
...I was thinking that some people did happen to find them funny. ._.

but think what you will. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.