• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Newbie Rate my Team

SuicuneScale

Is that a cookie?
Yeah, I am a newbie, so I want thoughts on my team. NOTE:The rules between me and my friend are that there are only 5th gen Pokemon allowed. Anyway, Here it is:

Whimscott@Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature:Bold
~Leech Seed
~Taunt
~Encore
~Cotton Guard
Evs: 252 HP, 144 SpDef, 124 Def
My lead AND annoyer. Taunt to stop entry hazards. Encore to ensure safe switch-ins. Leech seed for healing and damage. Cotton guard for extra defence.

Accelgor@Life Orb
Ability:Sticky Hold
Nature:Hasty
~Bug Buzz
~Hidden Power Ice
~Acid Spray
~U-Turn
Evs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Hello special sweeper. Acid spray is to own swith ins, possibly making them switch again. HP ice for coverage. U-Turn for scouting purposes, and Bug Buzz for Stab.

Landorus@Leftovers
Ability:Sand Force
Nature:Jolly
~Earthquake
~Swords Dance
~Rock Slide
~U-Turn
Evs:252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Physical sweeper. Earthquake For STAB, Swords Dance for a nice boost to the attack, Rock Slide to dael with Ice types, and U-turn for... scouting.

Ferrothorn@Rocky Helmet
Ability:Iron Barbs
Nature:Relaxed
~Stealth Rock
~Spikes
~Power Whip
~Gyro ball
Evs: 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Def
WALL-MART. Stealth Rock and Spikes for entry hazards, and Power Whip and Gyro Ball for stab.

Sigilyph@Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature:Calm
~Psycho Shift
~Cosmic Power
~Stored Power
~Roost
Evs: 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 Def
Yes, odd concept. Cosmic power to raise Defences, Stored Power because of all that boosting, Roost to heal, and Psycho Shift to transfer the burn from the flame orb.

Carracosta@Life Orb
Ability:Solid Rock
Nature:Naive
~Shell Smash
~Surf
~Stone Edge
~Hidden Power Fire
Evs: 208 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 48 Atk
WallBreaker set. Shell smash for Offence, Surf and Stone Edge for STAB, and HP fire to beat Ferrothorn.

OK, this is a team for against my friend. Any suggestions, please don't be afraid!

Last edited:

Absol 4ever

a witty pedant
for carracosta, you might want to give it instead of a life orb a focus sash to ensure you get a shell smash or a white herb to keep your defenses at normal when you shell smash

SuicuneScale

Is that a cookie?
for carracosta, you might want to give it instead of a life orb a focus sash to ensure you get a shell smash or a white herb to keep your defenses at normal when you shell smash
It is a wallbreaker set, so when facing walls like Chansey, does that ticket of survival really matter?
Oh and as a thanks, take this animated sprite:
359.gif

arbiter7x

Brock Obama
swap the siglyph out for something else. Also try porting stuff over from previous gens if you feel more comfortable with them (My Snorlax, Charizard, Deoxys, Gardevoir, Pikachu all from 3rd gen)

Last edited:

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Carracosta | Sturdy
~Shell Smash
~Rock Slide
~Waterfall
~Earthquake
Sturdy ensures you get a Shell Smash in. Waterfall for STAB, Rock Slide for moar STAB and Earthquake for coverage. Yay. No point using HP and Surf when using Shell Smash.

Whimsicott
~Taunt
~Encore / Giga Drain
~Leech Seed
~Substitute
idk. I believe this set would work nicely as a lead as then the opponent will be unable to set up entry hazards. Yay.

Accelgor
~Bug Buzz
~Focus Blast
~Giga Drain
~HP [Ice]
I see you're trying to go for a special sweeper so here you go.

Whimscott
Item:Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature:Bold
~Leech Seed
~Taunt
~Encore
~Grass Knot - Whimsicott needs to survive, grass knot is good move, but you should think about its signature move cotton guard, it raises its defence by three stages. thats from base 85 to 212.

Evs: 252 HP, 144 SpDef, 124 Def

arbiter7x

Brock Obama
Put hurricane instead of Grass knot on Whimsicott, especially if you have someone knowing rain dance. Or Substitute if you want to be more tank. However, you have to get the taunt out before the opponent taunts you, if not you don't have offensive moves and will struggle (in the case of substitute or cotton spore)

SuicuneScale

Is that a cookie?
Ok, Replies to all of you:
arbiter7x: I said this is a 5th gen only pokemon (which is the rules between my friend and I), but I will clear that up. Also, Siglypth cover's my teams weakness to Bulky Poisons.
zhanton: Yes, Carracosta should have sturdy, but it is a mixed set. Also, Acid Spray is there on my Accelgor for hitting switch ins and halving their SpDef.
Venophobia: yes, changes made.

Last edited:

Twilightphoenix

Elite Trainer
your team seems very defensive you only have 2 pokes with any kind of atk power the others are mostly for setting up which can go very wrong if you make even the tinyist mistake. your team is extreamly vulnerable to ice,fire,and grass type attacks which is bad. having 3 or more shared weakness is never a good thing, add that to a team with little in the way of real offensive ability and its a recipie for disaster. to make your team more survivable you need to at the very least change up some move sets. add at least one offensive attack to whimsicott(hurricane,giga drain,grass knot,psychic are all good choices) and ferrowthorn has too many entry hazerd moves get rid of spikes for curse to power up gyro ball. im not sure what stored power does so im going to leave that alone but i whould swich roost out for a more offensive atk such as ice beam,energy ball,or psychic(the first 2 suggested atks cover type weakness nor only for sigliph but for severall other members of your team and the 3rd suggested move takes care of poison which only whimsicott is weak to so i would not go with it except for stab damage). overall i would give this team a 3. its solid in that it can work prety well against slower opponits but against faster more aggrasive opponits it would be rather difficult to set up your stratigy, to be more effective add a little more offinsive power and it will run much more smoothly;giveing you a back up plan incase things go ari or your opponit sees through your stratigy and counters or spots any of your teams major weaknesses to ice, fire,or grass.
i hope that this helps.

rychaxon9

Instead if Sihanouk I would suggest a special def jellicent them the theratjorn a regulars defensive pok. Gives more def range. Also I would suggest a different lead. Possibly Fiensho with fake out and uturn, I personally think it would be a better option for a lead over your whimsical set. Or put hp fire on whimsicpt so it can anti lead against whimsical theratjorn and steel type pokes.

arbiter7x

Brock Obama
Ok, Replies to all of you:
arbiter7x: I said this is a 5th gen only pokemon (which is the rules between my friend and I), but I will clear that up. Also, Siglypth cover's my teams weakness to Bulky Poisons.
zhanton: Yes, Carracosta should have sturdy, but it is a mixed set. Also, Acid Spray is there on my Accelgor for hitting switch ins and halving their SpDef.
Venophobia: yes, changes made.

Well using all 5th gen pokemon is ok, but I strongly recommend you switch your Siglypth out for something else like Gothitelle or Reunicleus, as they are bulkier and hit harder than siglypth.

Enemies probably won't give you time to set up before they hit you hard with physical rocks or darks, even with burn, or maybe strong ice moves from their anti-dragon or a strong electric move, regardless of cosmic power, as even with that they can 2-3HKO you because flame orb takes 1 turn to set in, meaning you only can pass it on the second turn and the effect probably starts on the 2nd or 3rd turn depending on their speed. By then, any physical or special sweep worth their money can 2HKO you, as they can hit for about 50-60% with their first hit, assuming STAB stone edge, but ice beam or thunderbolt will probably hit for about 1/3, and it takes 3 to 4 turns to kill you, not enough set-up time for you to hit them hard enough as you will probably use a maximum of 2 stats boosting moves, because you will shift the burn and/or roost.

Hence, using Reunicleus or Gothitelle is more straightforward, and less dependent on luck, as your Siglypth can tank a special hit on your 1st turn, but a stone edge or rock slide will take away more than 50-60%.

Otherwise its a pretty ok team, but shell smash is still cheap:D

Last edited: