• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Next Pokemon Thread III - Now with Roman numerals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I really don't think Ash should have more than one starter because while AG was ok, it was the only arc where one starter didn't overshadow another. With Kanto, Jouto and Sinnoh, sure the starters got development, but look at what happened.

Kanto: Charizard was the only one to evolve, Bulbasaur could have but choose not to, and Squirtle was always behind them.
Jouto:Bayleef was the only one of them to evolve but it didn't have much gym time, Cyndaquil was in nearly every gym battle that Charizard wasn't in (sans Chuck.) but never evolved (until recently) and totodile while used nearly every episode never changed at all.
DP:Turtwig handled things pretty well for Ash early on, until Son Gohan came in and killed practically every pokemon it faught to the death in mortal kombat.

Especially after watching what Torterra(I hate grass types but seriously it was as gut wrenching as watching torkoal constantly get nuked all the time in hoenn and again in the darkrai match.) went through I don't want Ash to get multiple starters if thier not all gonna get equal attention, I know equality is a factor that's hardly played in this show, but it's better to focus on one starter and let the "wild" pokemon be potentially weak or strong while the starter stays up with Pikachu at the front line.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
DP:Turtwig handled things pretty well for Ash early on, until Son Gohan came in and killed practically every pokemon it faught to the death in mortal kombat.

Good times, good times! I could totally see Pokabu doing that in Isshu...

Then again, I can also see it sliced into pepperoni and put on my pizza, so...

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced now that both Mijumaru and Pokabu belong to Ash. We see Mijumaru battling Dento's Yanappu in what appears to be a Gym, which would probably mean that Ash is using Mijumaru. Also, Pokabu is seen fighting in the same battlefield, further showing that Ash would use Pokabu, unless we're watching Iris or Shooti in a Gym Battle.

dragonpsychicrules

DragonType GymLeader
Hmmm...it is the turn of the fire starter to go down?

First it was mudkip(not much fighting and it lost the battles it usually fought like Brock v May)...

then it was turtwig(you know what I mean)

and so, is the fire starter next in line?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
...Yeah, I'm pretty convinced now that both Mijumaru and Pokabu belong to Ash. We see Mijumaru battling Dento's Yanappu in what appears to be a Gym, which would probably mean that Ash is using Mijumaru. Also, Pokabu is seen fighting in the same battlefield, further showing that Ash would use Pokabu, unless we're watching Iris or Shooti in a Gym Battle.

I think Shooti or Dento might be getting Pokabu actually and i'll explain why in a minute.

Hmmm...it is the turn of the fire starter to go down?

First it was mudkip(not much fighting and it lost the battles it usually fought like Brock v May)...

The water starters are always getting cheated on the main cast and we end up having to see thier evo's with other trainers, that's why i'm hoping Ash only gets Mijumaru because then it will likely evolve and break that blasted trend.

Squirtle was always beind his Kanto brethren, Totodile despite being used alot never changed, Mudkip ended up with Brock which resulted in it's neglection and Piplup was so adorable and cute that they couldn't evolve it and left it's evo's with Kenny and Barry.

then it was turtwig(you know what I mean)

and so, is the fire starter next in line?

A funny story here, you see back in Hoenn Ash caught Torkoal (a turtle just like Torterra) for his fire type, and he hardly used the thing so it hardly won any of it's battles, Turtwig had a good start but once Chimchar came on it pretty much took a backseat to the monkey and hardly did squat after that, even though it evolved it became as "weak" as Torkoal was, being able to damage opponents but not being able to beat them.

I think the problem with the two turtles is that since they are tank based pokemon, they can't seem to fit them into Ash's battling style which is mostly based around speed and power hence why they got cheated but i'm getting off base here.

The reason why I believe shooti will get pokabu is because of the sketch shown on serebii's front page awhile back, if you notice they show what appear to be the evo's of Mijumaru and Stonerleaf next to each other in the same way Ash and Iris are next to each other but Pokabu's evo is no where to be seen. So I believe Ash will get Mijumaru, and Iris Stonerleaf, and Dento could have Pokabu as well and use it against Iris possibly if she wants to test gyms out.

I know it's a light reason but that's what I think, I still believe Ash should only get Mijumaru and deal with it only, because multiple starters aren't going to cut it.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

If there was a problem with Ash having more than one starter it was because of the lack of screen time.

Well take away Chimchar's story line, and what to do you get, possibly Torterra would've just been as showcased. It really wouldn't have been hard at all since Torterra would've likely beaten one of Volkner's Pokemon. But Infernape had to for some reason take out 2 of Volkner's Pokemon (since apparently any gym Chimchar line gets a win in, because it's Chimchar-line it automatically gets a second win *groan*)

Now let's look at Dento, no, wrong, let's look at Best Wishes. Geez Dento get out of my head. Hypothetically speaking let's assume Ash does indeed capture all the starters: Mijumaru, Pokabu, and Tsutarja, just what could the writers do to make it so only one gets all the screen time? Mijumaru has no apparent backstory so it theoretically couldn't just pull a Chimchar storyline at us. Neither does it appear the case with Pokabu or Tsutarja. Now I suppose the writers (as in Tomioka) could just pull something out of their butts and make it similar to Chimchar's story line, but I don't see what purpose they have in doing that.

Now let's look at the other Pokemon (non starters). Assume Ash does get a fire and grass non starter. Would there really be any difference between them and if Ash were to get all the starters other than variety? They likely would give the same amount of screen time to those Pokemon they would the starters (perhaps a little more effort into the starters since they are starters).

But anyway the point is, they really have no reason (except to rehash) to pull a DP on us. Every Pokemon Ash catches should get at least one gym win. Perhaps not starring in the gym (as in taking the gym leader's last and powerful Pokemon, since Ash may capture more than 8 Pokemon this generation (since there's going to be a lot of choices, and I don't think the writers would be like "Oh crap there a three Pokemon we can see Ash with, or we can advertise them with Ash but we already have Pokemon A, B, C, D, and E." No they most likely would have Ash capture any Pokemon they would want him to catch.

So really, if they could handle Ash with a lot of Pokemon really well, there is no reason why the starters would be some how screwed over just because he has all three or two. I mean at the very least they don't have a reason to screw them over this gen.

Also I do expect sooner evolutions. None of this "let's waste 100 episodes hardly focusing on a Pokemon, and then suddenly evolving it just because we can and because we forgot it existed and now is the time to focus on it again."

dragonpsychicrules

DragonType GymLeader
If there was a problem with Ash having more than one starter it was because of the lack of screen time.

So really, if they could handle Ash with a lot of Pokemon really well, there is no reason why the starters would be some how screwed over just because he has all three or two. I mean at the very least they don't have a reason to screw them over this gen.

I agree...

I mean look at AG, mudkip went to Brock...did it really get half the screentime as treeko or torchic??

Same goes for turtwig in DP...As for PIPLUP, THIS was probably the reason why it stayed out of its pokeball...just so it could get more screentime...

So, whether Ash gets all the starters or not, the problem remains unresolved...Unless the writers themselves know how exactly to handle and divide equally the screentime between the starters, no matter who gets them, 1 or 2 of them may get the lesser third of the cake...

So, its not as if Ash gets 3 starters, they won't get enough screentime, as the common perception seems to be in this forum...they certainly will IF they are handled properly by the writers...

Last edited:

JD

If the Gym Leaders really do have mixed types, this saga is going to have good rotation among Ash's Isshu team. He won't be obliged to take up a spot on his team against each gym leader just because of type. Chimchar was basically secured a spot in all three of the last gyms due to type (Dig vs Electric.)

My theory:

BW001: Ash leaves for Isshu, meets Iris, and captures Mamepato
BW002: Dento's debut.
BW003: Ash gets Mijumaru
BW004: Ash gets Pokabu
BW005: Ash gets Tsutaja
BW006: Shooti debut
BW007: Ash vs Dento

Ash: Tsutaja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru
Dento: Yanapuu, Darumakka, and Swana

Grass, Fire, Water vs Grass, Fire, Water

Erm I don't know about Ash getting all three starters this time around it seems more likely that he'll at least get Mijumaru. And maybe Pokabu but Iris was seen interacting with one in the preview so it might be her Pokabu as for Tsutarja I think Dento and Shooti could have this one.

So at least by Sanyou City.
Ash
Pikachu
Mamepato
Mijumaru

Iris
Kibago
Pokabu
Chillarmy

Dento
Yanappu
Tsitarja
Kurumiru

-------------

Shooti
Tsutarja
Wargle pre-evo?
Giaru

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Seriously the screetime stuff, what about the other pokemons? Grovyle was also favoured, werent the other pokemons ignored also in comparison? the starters are pokemons like the other.

With this in mind i say it again i want Ash to get the 3, I like seeing starters battle because i usually like starters designs and i love starters interaction.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Hmmm...I have been thinking...
In Sinnoh Ash got a pseudo legendary[Gible] that stayed in its basic form...I BW he might get a pseudo legendary that only evolves once and in the next gen a pseudo that evolves all the way and it's a monstruous powerhouse^^ to show that Ash has grown as a trainer and can handle really powerful pkmn.
So..
Pikachu-doesn't evolve
Mamepato-fully evolves
Mijumaru-fully evolves
Grass type-fully evolves
Fire type-fully evolves
pseudo legendary pkmn-evolves once
and a wild card-it'll either be a pkmn that doesn't evolve[like Lapras] or one that only has 2 stages[like Glalie,Gliscor]

Last edited:
I can see Ash getting the water type this time around but not sure if he will get Pokabu / Tsutaja which gives me hope that for his fire type he at some point calls prof. oak asking for his Torkoal Which hopefully has a gen 5 evo. And that was the reason Ash wanted Torkoal.

For a Grass type not entirely sure yet until more pokemon are released but he might even get 2 starters once again and have the grass starter.

Pikachu
Mijimaru
Mamepato
Torkoal
Tsutaja

Torpoleon

I can see Ash getting the water type this time around but not sure if he will get Pokabu / Tsutaja which gives me hope that for his fire type he at some point calls prof. oak asking for his Torkoal Which hopefully has a gen 5 evo. And that was the reason Ash wanted Torkoal.

For a Grass type not entirely sure yet until more pokemon are released but he might even get 2 starters once again and have the grass starter.

Pikachu
Mijimaru
Mamepato
Torkoal
Tsutaja
We all can see Ash with Mijumaru. It is practically confirmed, same as Mamepato. From the looks of things, I don't think Ash will bring any of his Old Pokémon with him, like what he did with Aipom.

shac

We all can see Ash with Mijumaru. It is practically confirmed, same as Mamepato. From the looks of things, I don't think Ash will bring any of his Old Pokémon with him, like what he did with Aipom.

that's cos there's no pokemon in the fifth gen with a new evo for the previous gen pokemon.

BM14murph

Master Collector
There is 3 core possibilities i see for the starters all of which involve Ash getting Mijumaru

Option 1 :

Ash - Mijumaru
Shooti - Pokabu
Dento - Tsutaaja

Option 2 :

Ash - Mijumaru and Tsutaaja
Shooti - Pokabu

Option 3 :

Ash - Mijumaru, Tsutaaja and Pokabu

martinn94

Prepare For Trouble
I think Iris is getting Pokabu because in the preview you saw her pinching one's cheeks, but then again she technically has her starter. She could always hide him in her hair to get a free Pokemon but that's unlikely.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
There is 3 core possibilities i see for the starters all of which involve Ash getting Mijumaru

Option 1 :

Ash - Mijumaru
Shooti - Pokabu
Dento - Tsutaaja

Option 2 :

Shooti - Pokabu

Option 3 :

Or...Ash gets Mijumaru,Shooti gets Tsutarja and Iris gets Pokabu

Torpoleon

I think Iris is getting Pokabu because in the preview you saw her pinching one's cheeks, but then again she technically has her starter. She could always hide him in her hair to get a free Pokemon but that's unlikely.
It might be Ash's though, since Iris was also seen pinching Pikachu's cheeks, although it would be better if Iris has Pokabu though.

Option 1 :

Ash - Mijumaru
Shooti - Pokabu
Dento - Tsutaaja

Option 2 :

Shooti - Pokabu

Option 3 :

There is also the possibility of Ash with Mijumaru & Pokabu, Shooti with Tsutarja & Pokabu or Ash with Mijumaru, Iris with Pokabu and Dento & Shooti with Tsutarja. Or Dento could have no Generation V Starter Pokémon.

Ash with Mijumaru, Ash/Iris with Pokabu and Shooti with Tsutarja is most likely at this stage. Based on what we know, Ash has Mijumaru, Shooti has Tsutarja and Ash/Iris/Dento/Shooti/Someone has Pokabu, since a Pokabu was seen in the same gym (presumed Dento's Gym) as Mijumaru VS Yanappu. People can have the same Starter Pokémon, which happened a few times in Sinnoh.

shac

You must have big hands.

Personally, as well as the obvious Mijumaru and Mamepato I also see Ash getting Pokabu but am less sure of Tsutarja.

Ha Ha Ha....good one mate!!

I think tsutaja is going to shooti. In the preview clip we see shooti giving an order, and the next scene shows tsutaja doing grass-mixer. Also another scene shows a grass-mixer hitting pikachu. Now that might have been a capture battle, but the battle was going on in a building of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.