• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Next Pokemon Thread IV: A New Hope (Use for capture/release/evolution speculation!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver_Seoul

Honestly, if evolution is such a big deal, the case could be:

Pikachu
Mamepato3
Miju2
Fire2 (if it's a 3-stage)
Grass1/2 (depends on the amount of stages in the line)
WildCard 1/2 (see above)

So you get maybe two or three fully evolved Pokemon this saga. How's that, not much of a step-back from the five out of six fully evolved Pokemon from Sinnoh, not counting Pikachu?

At the risk of sounding like a n00b. When was Mimjimar confirmed.

There was a preview of Mijumaru VS Yanappu with Ash commanding Miju.

bui

Ash's rivals like Gary and Paul also have nothing but fully pokemon.

Ash's team in Isshu:

Pikachu
mamepato
mijimaru
gigaiasu
moguryu
kurumiru

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I definitely agree with this, I don't know why people would be against evolutions (especially with Ash who is comparable to "you" but in anime form). I mean if you like pre-evolved Pokemon you could just watch episodes where the Pokemon are unevolved, or just don't evolve your Pokemon in the games. And most people do fully evolve their party in the games.
I never said I was against evolutions. I said there shouldn't be too many of them. There shouldn't be too many that stay in their basic form too if you're thinking I'm just singling out evolution but no one ever seems to think that none of Ash's team should evolve so that isn't an issue.

What I'm saying is some should evolve and some should stay as they are.

A good balance would be like this

Pikachu
Pokemon that evolves once
Pokemon that fully evolves
Pokemon that stays as it is
Bird that fully evolves
Pokemon that stays as it is

Silver_Seoul

I think the Hoenn set-up was pretty good in terms of evolutions.

Pikachu
Bird Fully Evolves
Grass Evolves Once*
Water Stays as is
Fire Single-Stage
Wildcard Fully evolves

(* = Technically, Treecko evolved just once in Hoenn.)

So now, replace that with Isshu:

Pikachu
Bird Fully Evolves
Water Evolves Once
Grass Single-Stage (?)
Fire Stays as is
Wildcard Fully Evolves

Grei

not the color
Well the fact I said too many is a clue that the problem is that there are too many of them. It's good to have some basic and some evolved. Also as Torterra proved having too many fully evolved Pokemon can lead to some being neglected. If Turtwig never evolved it wouldn't be such a big deal that it got a loosing strike around the time it would have been Torterra.

Torterra's neglect was not due to there being too many evolved Pokemon. That doesn't really even make sense--all the writers have to do is let a fully-evolved Pokemon get significant wins. That's easy enough.

No, Torterra's neglect was because of Infernape, simple as that. If Infernape wasn't destined to be the Super-Saiyan Star of the Stupid Sinnoh League, it would have gotten two wins and it's third win would have gone to a more deserving Pokemon, such as Torterra.

Ash could have a complete team of fully-evolved Pokemon, but if there's a diva on his team, the rest of them suffer. Even if Ash only has one fully-evolved Pokemon, if it's a diva, the team still suffers.

Although I agree that Ash shouldn't have a complete team of fully-evolved Pokemon. Or, at the most, his fully-evolved team should have Pokemon of varying sizes. In the anime, a protagonist's team of Pokemon needs to have varying sizes. Dawn's team looked funny for the longest time because she had four pipsqueaks and one giant (Togekiss balanced this out a little).

Ash's signature Pokemon type is the small underdog Pokemon, that seems unassuming but is actually speedy and powerful. Yet having fully-evolved Pokemon makes him look skilled. Therefore, a healthy mix of large and small Pokemon makes the team look more appealing than a bunch of huge brutes of a collection of tiny wimps.

EDIT: I personally feel Ash's Sinnoh team does that size thing the best.

A small rodent
A giant turtle
A human-sized monkey
A giant, fierce bird
A small otter
A small dragon/a large flyscorpion

It was a nice mix of small speedsters and large powerhouses. I want something like that in Isshu.

Last edited:

Araleon

Chill
Well, I do want Isshu to be more face-paced, and for the region to go faster like Hoenn did, and then for the group to do a filler saga. If that means a few evolutions are saved for the filler saga, okay.

But I do think Mijumaru will evolve all the way before the Isshu League.

Pikachu
Fully evolved Mamepato
Fully evolved Mijumary
Basic Grass (Maybe the Steel/Grass ball. That'd be interesting.)
Second Stage Fire (Preferably the Fire/Ghost Lanturn)
Fully Evolved Wildcard (Uh... There's a bunch of possibilities)

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I think the Hoenn set-up was pretty good in terms of evolutions.

Pikachu
Bird Fully Evolves
Grass Evolves Once*
Water Stays as is
Fire Single-Stage
Wildcard Fully evolves

(* = Technically, Treecko evolved just once in Hoenn.)

So now, replace that with Isshu:

Pikachu
Bird Fully Evolves
Water Evolves Once
Grass Single-Stage (?)
Fire Stays as is
Wildcard Fully Evolves
I loved the Hoenn set up. It was one of the many things that made it my favourite arc of the series.

And I like your idea for the Isshu team.

dman_dustin

I have to disagree on the something being unevolved. I really think all of Ash's Pokemon should evolve at least once.

If you don't want Ash with an evolved Pokemon, then hope he catches a lot this generation, or hope for a standalone. Because with the possibilities right now, I just can't see Ash with an unevolved Pokemon.

And besides isn't Ash supposed to be getting better as a trainer? Wouldn't more evolutions signify that?

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
And besides isn't Ash supposed to be getting better as a trainer? Wouldn't more evolutions signify that?

No otherwise his Pokemon would have evolved in less than twenty episodes. Wait...

The number of evolutions on Ash's team depend on how many stages there are too. So it'd be easy for a 2 stage pokemon to be fully evolved while it'd take more screentime for a 3 stage pokemon to fully evolve. So Ash has the potential to evolve all his pokemon if 2 evolve twice while 3 evolve once. Because that would be 7 evolutions and Ash got 7 evolutions throughout the entire Sinnoh region.

But the writers usually have at least one pokemon that's unevolved so I could see something like this maybe:

1. Pikachu
2. Mamepato (fully evolved, 2 evos)
3. Mijumaru (fully evolved, 2 evos)
4. Grass type (evolves once)
5. Fire type (basic, unevolved)
6. Wildcard (fully evolved, 1 evo)

So maybe we can see Ash with 6 evolutions. It's not as many as Sinnoh, but I think it'd be a good balance.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I don't see anything wrong with Miju going all the way either, if it evolves let it go all the way and be the first one to make up for Totodile and Squirtle not going at all.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Ash has 12 fully evolved Pokemon at Oak's, 14 that are evolved in general and only 5 basic Pokemon that can evolve that haven't. Ash has plenty of evolved Pokemon. Having a good balance of Pokemon that have and haven't evolved for his team of 6 is a good thing.

Torpoleon

If Ash gets all the Generation V Starter Pokémon, maybe the beta artwork spoiled what forms they'd be in. Mijumaru & Tsutarja evolving once and Pokabu staying as is.

I doubt Ash's BW Team will consist of just fully evolved Pokémon (I'm excluding Pikachu from this whole thing since he'll never evolve), especially if Ash catches a lot of Generation V Pokémon that have evolutions and also depending on how long Isshu is going to be. Even if Iris & Dento don't have any goals and it is just Ash, Iris & Dento are bound to get some Pokémon which might evolve and the same goes for Team Rocket.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
If Ash gets all the Generation V Starter Pokémon, maybe the beta artwork spoiled what forms they'd be in. Mijumaru & Tsutarja evolving once and Pokabu staying as is.
I don't think that beta artwork says anything about Ash's team. For one thing Dento isn't there. It's fairly clear the beta art is for early episodes, namely the first four before Dento shows up. I'm guessing Futachimaru and Janobii belong to Don George.

In fact...

Don George
Umbreon
Futachimaru
Janobii

dman_dustin

No otherwise his Pokemon would have evolved in less than twenty episodes. Wait...

30-50 episodes is perfect amount in my opinion (and I don't care if a Pokemon evolves 10 episodes after the first one evolves, and so forth) it makes no sense to wait 500 episodes to evolve a Pokemon. Chimchar's staying in it's stage for a duration of 129 episodes was plain stupid (even if only with Ash it was more like 80 episodes) and look what happened with Monferno (even though 31 episodes is more than enough it only showed up 8 times (10 if you include flashbacks) is just not okay. Maybe if Monferno showed up like 18 times out 31 episodes it would be better.

And it's just the idea of something like this:

Bird Fully Evolves
Water Evolves Once
Grass Single-Stage (?)
Fire Stays as is
Wildcard Fully Evolves

That makes my blood boil and eats the heck out of me. I mean he's going to the league with trainers who have fully evolved Pokemon, and he expects to beat them with unevolved Pokemon? Again I know the anime beats that message out that unevolved Pokemon are fine but still Ash is a growing trainer he needs more evolved Pokemon.

Sinnoh was pretty perfect (albeit some pacing issues). I mean Buizel and Gible were fine. But he had 4 fully evolved Sinnoh Pokemon. That's just awesome.

Mamepato- fully evolved
Mijumaru- fully evolved so Ash can get a water starter Charizard/Sceptile/Internape
Fire/Ghost- Fully evolved 3 stager or Fire/bug evolves once since its only a two stage line.
Grass Pokemon- Evolves once if its a two stager.
Denchura- a fully evolved Pokemon

Something like that is really awesome. And hypothetically speaking if Ash gets all starter Pokemon, I really want them to be fully evolved, having 3 fully evolved starter Pokemon of the same generation is just too cool for words.

Think of the Johto starters for a moment: Ash has a triple battle, just imagine Ash sending out Meganium, Typhlosion, and Feraligatr, epic fangasm right there. It's a shame that 5th gen won't be able to pull that epicness very well given the Pokemon themselves. Maybe next generation.

Edit: I would be fine with just Futachimaru if it means giving another Pokemon another evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.