1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Next writing events ideas

Discussion in 'The Authors' Café' started by bobandbill, Jun 2, 2019.

1. bobandbill

bobandbill Winning Smile Staff Member Super Mod

We've had a wrap up of the last writing contest last month, so now's as good a time as any to discuss ideas for the next event we'd like to have here. I'm looking for input and brainstorming from you guys!

Some off the top of my head:

- A new set of Exquisite Corpses (previous event thread here). We can change up some of the themes used before (e.g. the Kanto one really makes sense to change now...), maybe introduce one more, etc.
    - Another writing competition like the Kanto one, of course. Share ideas for topics!
    - (For the end of the year?) A new gift exchange event. Share ideas for how we could run this!

--------------------------------------

Incidentally, there's also reviewing events like the year-long Review Leaderboard we had (I will wrap that up soon - I have been rather busy of late, and apologies there). I'm happy to see that started again for the year, but we can also discuss what can be done differently. If you're interested in helping out with counting reviews/maintaining the thread do speak up here as well!

2. Umbramatic

Umbramatic The Ghost Lord

As mentioned before I'm 100% game to judge the next contest if you'll have me. Bringing back the Exquisite Corpses would be fun as well, I missed that the first time around. And maybe another big reviewing event like the old Missing Mod Madness?

3. The Walrein

The Walrein Well-Known Member

I'd be up for Exquisite Corpses myself!

A few suggestions for themes:

-Stereotypical PMD Fic
    -Nuzlocke Journey Fic
    -Trainer Academy Fic
    -Shipping Fic

4. canisaries

canisaries sometimes i get a deadache, yeah

Never heard of that Exquisite Corpses thing before this, likely because I only joined after it. I'd love to join in a round myself. And seconding that idea of PMD as a theme, since we've certainly fics of that genre around and should be well familiar with it! Heck, I'd say I know more about those than trainer fics, given my own reading preferences...

Another one-shot contest would be very neat - I would've joined the previous one, had I come up with a proper idea and had time. I'm also gonna say that I have some interest in judging as well, so if you find yourself short on judges, my inbox is open. (I can't guarantee I'll be available, but no harm in asking!)

5. Starlight Aurate

Starlight Aurate Just a fallen star

I'm always down for having more One-shot contests. I think bringing back themes like Horror, Comedy, Drama, or Romance would be fine--I know they've already been done before, but they were all well over a decade ago and the fanfic writers are completely different.

I think having the YuleTide again would also be great, if anyone is willing to organize it. I'd be all right with doing so/assisting with it, if there's no body else to.

I think the Missing Mod Madness was great and would be good to bring back, although I don't know if there's anyone left on the forums who's willing to put it together. Having it run in tandem with the Review Leaderboard would be good! I thought it worked out well last time; it amped up the competition of the Leaderboard and kept the section very lively.

canisaries likes this.
  6. The Teller

The Teller King of Half-Truths

I definitely second the return of the Exquisite Corpse! That was so much fun, and the way the process worked, you knew when you can see the result of the whole thing (as opposed to waiting half a year for judges to review a contest). The Mod Madness was interesting, though it had its problems and obviously can't be called Missing Mod Madness 2, should a sequel come about (I don't want the SAME plot going in again). I'm always down for more Yuletide fun. I really enjoy figuring out how to grant people's prompts in ways they didn't expect. I always like when a new contest comes up, even if I can't participate in all of them.

If we're looking for themes for anything...
    1). Anything about the Sword & Shield games BEFORE the games officially come out. Let us guess and interpret and see how close (or far off) we get!
    2). Give some lovin' to the side games. Stories about Orre, Ransei, making sense of what the Puzzle League looks like in-universe, Trozei, Dash, a person from the regular world gets transported into Pokemon Rumble, etc.
    3). Let your other geekiness shine! Do a crossover with some other fandom that you love!
    4). Help complete the Professor's Pokedex! Pick a Pokemon species and write an in-depth article about the species like one would do for National Geographic. Make up whatever you want about the species. Be creative and be interesting.
    5). REVERSE-Shipping. Pick a ship (common or not), and write about why the two would NEVER get together. Be as sad, salty, funny, manner of fact, or confused as you want.
    6). Come up with a new side game! Pick a style of video game that Pokemon hasn't done yet and write about how you would go about playing that game. Ex.: Visual novel, first person shooter, farming simulator, Hoenn-style Contests (click and drag).

bobandbill and Venia Silente like this.
  7. bobandbill

Bump

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. From what I gather, and thinking aloud, I'm proposing the following:

- Exquisite Corpse event starting this month, running for a month or few (how long would depend on how many people sign up).
    On this, 4 themes of a Galar Trainer fic (many fics are trainer fics after all, plus this allows us to go with The Teller's idea on having a writing event involving SwSh before those games come out!), PMD, and the standard Freeform. A fourth I will suggest is a Pokemon POV one, because I feel that could be all sorts of extra fun to read a EC on. >:]

- A new contest after then. I also wouldn't mind going back to one of the older themes we've done years ago.

- In December a new sort of Yuletide event as members do seem to like that - but this needs brainstorming.

There's a chance of another event happening early next year too, but I'll leave things unsaid with that for now... :V

Thoughts?

Happy for other events to still be suggested and brainstormed as well - and that includes review games/leaderboards.

The Teller and canisaries like this.
  8. Starlight Aurate

I think all of the above sound good to me! I've never partaken in an EC before, but it looks like other people here are all for it!

What sort of brainstorming needs to be done for the Yuletide event? (I've never been behind the scenes for this, I always just partook as an applicant)

9. bobandbill

ECs are generally pretty fun, yeah. I've first pataken in them over on PC back in the day.

The way it worked previous times is better redone for various reasons, but given an event around then and the concept of gift giving has been popular and good for the community, I'm willing to have ideas shared and something trialed at the end of year. Better to plan it now than later however given it's time sensitive when it begins.

10. Starlight Aurate

Does having form where the applicant states what they want, what they don't want, what they're willing to write, and a prompt they want still work? I know we'd have to make it different enough from previous years to avoid plagiarizing anyone else's ideas, but does the general form still work? And would we be allowed to do that again?