• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread: We don't huddle anymore in our society.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I'll make this short:

Age doesn't matter much, Peyton Manning was horrible last season and he still managed to win a SB and also had some horrific injuries in his career.

Go back and look at what Romo did 2 yrs ago when he was fully healthy and had a great supporting cast. Only Aaron Rodgers had a higher QBR at 82.0, while Romo's QBR was 81.8. However, if you look at Total QBR, Romo was #1. They have a solid running game again, Dez will back soon too, so he literally has the same supporting cast he had back in '14.

I understand the injury part and everything else, trust me, but when you have a really good QB returning, you can't just bench him. This isn't like when Brady took Bledsoe's job years ago. Romo is a lot better than Bledsoe. Dak is the future w/out a doubt, but Romo gives them a better chance overall to win a SB right now, when he's healthy.

Also, we've only seen 5 games for Dak and he really hasn't played anyone good yet. This week vs the Packers, will be his first real test imo. Let's see what he does. ;)

You're using Peyton Manning as an example? You mean the guy who basically only has another ring because his team's defense was unparallelled? You even said it in your post that he sucked last season. He didn't need to be good. If Tony comes back, he has to play well. Big difference.

And you think Romo is the better option to lead his team to the Super Bowl, how? Is it his shining playoff record or...?

I'm not saying Dak is or will be a Super Bowl winning QB. What I am saying is that Romo has proven he is not and Dak is winning games. This is not even close to a no-brainer.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Tony Romo is an average quarterback who did okay under pressure, but was never part of a good enough team to win it all. Him and Jay Cutler are in this weird area where they're the big focus on mediocre/bad teams, and instead of building around them they just sort of take all the blame.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
You're using Peyton Manning as an example? You mean the guy who basically only has another ring because his team's defense was unparallelled? You even said it in your post that he sucked last season. He didn't need to be good. If Tony comes back, he has to play well. Big difference.

And you think Romo is the better option to lead his team to the Super Bowl, how? Is it his shining playoff record or...?

I'm not saying Dak is or will be a Super Bowl winning QB. What I am saying is that Romo has proven he is not and Dak is winning games. This is not even close to a no-brainer.
I used Peyton as an example because it sounded like you were implying that because he's older and has had some injuries, that he shouldn't be starting, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll be the first to admit that Romo's post-season record isn't much at and he's made crucial mistakes in the past, but he's had success in late games (has a lot of 4th quarter comebacks on his resume). He's never had a good DEF either and if Dak stays the starting QB, he'll find that out himself soon enough.

Tony Romo is an average quarterback who did okay under pressure, but was never part of a good enough team to win it all. Him and Jay Cutler are in this weird area where they're the big focus on mediocre/bad teams, and instead of building around them they just sort of take all the blame.
I personally think Romo was/is above average, but that's all a matter of opinion obviously. I agree with everything else though. I'll never forget the game vs Peyton Manning and Broncos (3 yrs ago maybe) where Romo threw for over 500 yds, 5 TDs, and they lost like 51-48. He threw a pick at the end and he shouldered all the blame for losing.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I say why go away from what's working? If the Cowboys are smart they will keep starting Dak...

Jerry Jones is so out of touch, so it's no surprise that he's sticking with Romo.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Romo absolutely deserves the opportunity to run the Dallas offense. If he can't produce the same efficacy in 3 quarters as Prescott, then you put Dak in the 4th.

Would you say the same if the situation didn't involve a rookie? Really, I mean, what if Aaron Rodgers was brought in to replace Romo and won 4 of his first 5 games. Would you still say Romo absolutely deserves the starting spot?

While I understand Prescott has not had the career Aaron Rodgers has, I'm applying this scenario more to realize what Romo actually deserves. If you can't say Romo should start over anyone, then he doesn't "deserve" anything. You're suggesting he's earned something that he hasn't.

Also, I'm not saying 100% that Dak is the answer, but Dak is at least in the process of proving something. Romo hasn't improved since 2012. In fact, he's declined. But like I said, if you're not willing to give Romo "his team" over anybody like you would with someone like Brady's Patriots or something of that nature, I'm not sure he does deserve anything.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Romo is 37 now, so he's only going to decline. Plus his back just keeps getting worse and worse, so the smart thing for him to do long term would be to retire.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Alright, I know I brought up the Dallas QB controversy, but can we discuss something other than Romo lol? I was going to ask which games are people interested in this week, but man...not much to look forward to in Week 5. I mean Seattle vs Atlanta should be good, Dallas vs GB, Panthers vs Saints maybe if Cam is playing (always like to see Brees vs Cam), and....KC vs Oakland?

celestial phantom

Honestly, given how well Dak's doing under center with Zeke backing up the running game for a balanced dual attack, there's literally no reason to mess with the team's rhythm by putting Romo back into the starting gig. If Dak starts to falter, then maybe he should get the shot to take over again, but for now even when he's ready to go, this is Dak's offense to run. We're probably kind of looking at a current version of the Bledsoe/Brady thing, where Bledsoe never did take the starting role back after Brady just ran away with the starting job in stride. If Dak can really back it up, and the team keeps winning, why mess with the formula? Romo can sit back, take it easy, and be useful when he's needed, but being pretty injury subjected and on a decline, they may as well just roll with the new blood in their veins, because it is working.

Alright, I know I brought up the Dallas QB controversy, but can we discuss something other than Romo lol? I was going to ask which games are people interested in this week, but man...not much to look forward to in Week 5. I mean Seattle vs Atlanta should be good, Dallas vs GB, Panthers vs Saints maybe if Cam is playing (always like to see Brees vs Cam), and....KC vs Oakland?

The Eagles @ Washinton Redskins could be a very good game. Both teams have 3 wins, so this game will set the momentum for who falls in line to be with Dallas jocking for the #1 spot in the NFC East like usual. Both teams are fringe top 10 offenses in the league up to this point in stats, however the Eagles Defense is a lot better than the Redskins thus far, however the Redskins have won the last 3 meetings with the Eagles, so it could be good.

I'm not gonna be too high strung on the Atlanta vs Seattle game. Atlanta has to travel up to Seattle, and the weather is supposed to be rainy with a decent amount of wind, so while it's current #1 ranked offense vs current ranked #1 defense, I don't know how good that game will end up being, especially with the Seahawks being one of the tougher places to play at home.

The Ravens @ Giants could be a sleeper game to watch. Both teams are still trying to find their footing and rhythm in games with the Ravens coming off the firing of Trestman, and the Giants continuing to be kind of middling on both sides of the ball so far. As well both teams are really going to need the win here most likely. The Ravens will need to at least keep up with the Steelers or at the very least keep the win up so they don't find themselves on the fringe of being outed for a WC spot after the next 2 months pass, where as the Giants will need to win so they don't miss a step on the NFC East and hope the other 3 teams falter like they normally do because Dallas and Philly are showing great poise right now, and Washington can likely keep up better than the Giants currently are in games.

A fair amount of games are slated for some stormy weather, so I'm not too sure I can expect a lot from this week to really show anything good. Heck I'm willing to be that a decent amount of these games pending weather strength will be run heavy in the ones slated for a strong amount of rain and wind.. But yeah, Dallas @ GB, Eagles @ Washington, Ravens @ Giants likely are ones I'd prefer to be able to watch as day games.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Another perfect day title for USC. ND and UCLA lost!

Wish Sam Darnold was our starting QB from the beginning.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I think if ND doesn't win a national title by the end of the current contract extension in 2025, NBC says "we're done with you".

I'm going to throw in Jim Tressel's name into the ND coaching hat. His show-cause penalty for what he did at OSU is up at the end of the season. If he could become ND's coach that would be a real shot at redemption.

Remix2

Well the Giant vs Raven is coming up soon and I would say that the giant will win this since how the Ravens been playing so far, but I also have to remember that this is the same giants who have a history of be inconsistent and who also blew a 21 point lead against the Jaguars.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Lions beat the Rams in a close game. Matt Stafford had a terrific game. It's always nice to see the Lions win. The Lions are one of those teams that do have talent, but they just cant come together. The Lions are usually very inconsistent.

Wow, the Panthers who were just in the Super Bowl are now 1-5.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
The Lions beat the Rams in a close game. Matt Stafford had a terrific game. It's always nice to see the Lions win. The Lions are one of those teams that do have talent, but they just cant come together. The Lions are usually very inconsistent.

Wow, the Panthers who were just in the Super Bowl are now 1-5.
I wish Golden Tate didn't have such a great game because the opposing team I'm playing against in fantasy football has him. :mad:

Yeah I'm also pretty surprised by the Panthers, but even more surprised by the Steelers losing to Miami, didn't see that coming. Cowboys looking good too, making me rethink my stance a little on Romo being the starter when he comes back.

Michigan moving up to 3 in the AP poll probably has you excited.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I wish Golden Tate didn't have such a great game because the opposing team I'm playing against in fantasy football has him. :mad:

Yeah I'm also pretty surprised by the Panthers, but even more surprised by the Steelers losing to Miami, didn't see that coming. Cowboys looking good too, making me rethink my stance a little on Romo being the starter when he comes back.

Michigan moving up to 3 in the AP poll probably has you excited.

I'm actually winning my fantasy game right now. I wish I had started Drew Brees at quarterback today though he scored like 50 points. I started off my season bad because of injuries. Adrian Peterson is on the IR list..

I'm happy for Michigan. I hope they can keep on winning. In 2006 #1 Ohio State played #2 Michigan. I'm hoping we get to see a #1 vs #2 matchup again. Hopefully this time Michigan wins.

The Cowboys are looking good today. Aaron Rodgers doesn't look like himself out there. He hasn't thrown a single touchdown so far this season.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I'm actually winning my fantasy game right now. I wish I had started Drew Brees at quarterback today though he scored like 50 points. I started off my season bad because of injuries. Adrian Peterson is on the IR list..

I'm happy for Michigan. I hope they can keep on winning. In 2006 #1 Ohio State played #2 Michigan. I'm hoping we get to see a #1 vs #2 matchup again. Hopefully this time Michigan wins.

The Cowboys are looking good today. Aaron Rodgers doesn't look like himself out there. He hasn't thrown a single touchdown so far this season.
I have Drew Brees. I'm in a Yahoo keeper league with my older brother and friends, been doing it for 12-13 yrs now, it's pretty cool how we do it.

I vaguely remember that game. Chad Henne vs Troy Smith I think and it was close.

As for Aaron Rodgers, yeah his completion percentage has been getting worse every year, especially this year, I don't know what's up with him. I've been watching the game the whole time, some bad throws and fumbles. Oh and Cowboys are 5-1, pretty shocking if you told someone that before the season started.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I have Drew Brees. I'm in a Yahoo keeper league with my older brother and friends, been doing it for 12-13 yrs now, it's pretty cool how we do it.

I vaguely remember that game. Chad Henne vs Troy Smith I think and it was close.

As for Aaron Rodgers, yeah his completion percentage has been getting worse every year, especially this year, I don't know what's up with him. I've been watching the game the whole time, some bad throws and fumbles. Oh and Cowboys are 5-1, pretty shocking if you told someone that before the season started.

That's cool. Right now I'm in a ESPN league with my friends. Cam Newton is my starter at QB, but unfortunately the Panthers are off to a very bad start this season. I had a feeling the Panthers would take a small step back this season, but I never envisioned a 1-5 start.

Troy Smith was a great college qb there's no denying that, and that's coming from a big Michigan fan lol.

The Cowboys are doing so good under Dak. I'm surprised by the 5-1 start.

Navin

MALDREAD
I think if ND doesn't win a national title by the end of the current contract extension in 2025, NBC says "we're done with you".

I'm going to throw in Jim Tressel's name into the ND coaching hat. His show-cause penalty for what he did at OSU is up at the end of the season. If he could become ND's coach that would be a real shot at redemption.

Brian Kelly might be fired by the end of the season. Three 8-5 season and one 9-4 season with two better seasons (the 12-1 2012 NC finalist) and a 10-3 Fiesta Bowl loss last year. And this season looks over already, might not even reach bowl eligibility. That probably doesn't cut it at Notre Dame.

Tressel isn't coming back to coaching. He's 63 and a university president.

Our defense will carry us.

Remix2

Giant got a win but man our offense look messy at times, thank god for beckham.

Also it look like the Browns might be the 2rd team to go 0-16.

ebevan91

Dak had a "bad" game today, so if that's a "bad" game I think Dallas is in pretty good shape right now.

Last edited: