• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread: We don't huddle anymore in our society.

Man, what a weird weekend for the top 25. Tennessee has to go into overtime against App State, MSU struggles with an FCS team that went 4-7 last season, Stanford struggles on offense probably more than they should have against Kansas State, Houston upsets Oklahoma, LSU gets shut down and beat by Wisconsin, Florida struggles offensively against a pretty bad UMass team, Clemson gets scared by Auburn, TCU has to engage in a shootout against SD State, and USC gets destroyed by Bama way more than I ever would have imagined. I halfway expect Ole Miss and Texas to win in blowouts tomorrow just to keep up the pattern.

On the bright side, Kirby Smart's debut as Georgia's head coach showed a lot of promise. Nick Chubb is officially back, and it looks like there's plenty of young RB talent behind him. Eason started out a little rough, but he quickly calmed down and made some good plays. I'm expecting great things from him as the season goes on. McKenzie also looked like a good answer to Georgia's WR concerns. The defense gave up some big plays here and there, but overall they did a good job of slowing down a UNC offense that was pretty dangerous last season. After Tennessee and Florida struggled the way they did, it looks like Georgia might be the team to beat in the SEC East. Getting to an SEC championship in his first season as a head coach would be great for Smart.

EDIT: Looks like you can add a Texas upset of Notre Dame to that list. What a game!

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
That Notre Dame vs Texas game was epic. I figured Bama would beat USC, but I thought that game would be much closer.

Michigan took care of business just like I expected. Their first true test should be against Wisconsin.

The Lions put Jake Rudock on their practice squad. I don't understand this decision. He's a much better quarterback than Dan O...Rudock should be on the main roster as the backup behind Stafford.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
OSU is taking care of Tulsa after a weather delay.

Their first real test will come next week in Norman. A make or break game as far as OSU's playoff chances.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
CMU won on a Hail Mary + lateral. Loooool.

I still can't believe that happend! The campus over at CMU is lit tonight. I used to live 20 minutes from there.

Michigan dominated today. The run game struggled, though. Still a blowout win, regardless.

ebevan91

Ahh yes the infamous crappy week 2 of college football. At least we had a couple good games today though.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Packers hold on to win today. One down, 18 to go.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
What an ugly win for the Ravens. The Bills practically handed that one to us and the refs threw us penalty yards left and right. We should be doing better against such a mediocre team if we're making the playoffs this year.

Well, after looking solid against UNC, UGA just laid an egg against Nicholls. Eason played pretty well given the circumstances, but the O-line was the worst I think I've seen them in years. Poor Chubb could hardly get to the line before getting hit by at least two defenders at times. Say what you want about Mark Richt not winning enough big games, but at least you rarely had to worry about him losing the really small ones. Hopefully this is just another case of a team looking too far ahead and taking a weak opponent for granted (which seems to be happening a lot this season).

Ahh yes the infamous crappy week 2 of college football. At least we had a couple good games today though.

The Arkansas vs TCU game was especially good. Those last few minutes onward had me on the edge of my seat. I was a little disappointed in the "Battle at Bristol" game, though. VA Tech started out good and then just fell apart after the first quarter. Not to take anything away from Tennessee, but it's not too hard to look dominant when the other team gives you 3 fumbles in the span of about 4 minutes.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Meanwhile SDSU knocked off Cal. They are now media darlings in the state of California for beating one of the state's "Big Four" which also includes Stanford, UCLA and USC.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
It's cool to see Michigan #4 in the AP Poll, but they need to play a good team first. I hate being that guy, but Hawaii and UCF aren't good teams. Next week Colorado should be a better test for Michigan, and then Penn State comes to the Big House. They're coming off a loss against Pittsburgh. Then the following week Wisconsin comes to town. That game right there will really show us where Michigan stands so far.

Did anyone catch the ending of that Raiders/Saints game? The Raiders went for two and won. Now that's gutsy!

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Some things I had expected to happen in the season openers got turned on their heads. I expected big things from Ezekiel Elliott, among others, and I was disappointed in his debut. Not to say he won't improve, I just think I overhyped him in my head and was looking for one of his explosive OSU games.

If I had to pinpoint any one problem with his playing today, it would be his lack of patience. He could take note from other strong rushers such as Le'Veon Bell and David Johnson.

Even Shane Vereen showed me some groundwork I wasn't expecting, all due to his patience.

Zeke has the vision and agility to get past the line, he just needs to wait for the right opportunity. Today, I only saw that once or twice.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
How 'bout them Chiefs? They looked like crap for the first half, then looked unstoppable after. I thought about turning the game off at half because I did expect them to lose. However, I did pick up Spencer Ware for my fantasy team, and man did he produce.

If they can keep performing how they did in the second half of that game, especially Alex Smith, I think they could really be a force this year.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
How 'bout them Chiefs? They looked like crap for the first half, then looked unstoppable after. I thought about turning the game off at half because I did expect them to lose. However, I did pick up Spencer Ware for my fantasy team, and man did he produce.

If they can keep performing how they did in the second half of that game, especially Alex Smith, I think they could really be a force this year.

As much as I like the Chiefs and want them to go places, I just don't see them as a team that goes all the way. They remind me of the Cardinals and the Bengals in that way. Solid squads with potential, but they just can't close out a season.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The Chiefs are an above average team that's hampered by Andy Reid's love of the 10 minute drill.

Navin

MALDREAD
Chiefs will be a perennial playoff team with Smith at the helm. But they need a bit more..."explosion"? to make a playoff run. Then again the Broncos were able to win the SB last year, so it's more than possible.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Carson wentz had a great first career game even if it was against the browns. They are still an nfl defense. The eagles defense also did good. They play the bears next week and have a good chance to win that too.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Chiefs will be a perennial playoff team with Smith at the helm. But they need a bit more..."explosion"? to make a playoff run. Then again the Broncos were able to win the SB last year, so it's more than possible.

Jamaal Charles healthy is their biggest hope, I think. Otherwise, I don't see them making it. They could, sure, but I don't expect it from what I've seen from them.

Remix2

Well the giant won which while good we definitely didn't look good while doing it and our defense and offense line need some work.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
An RGIII-less Cleveland should be a good game for the Ravens to shake the rust off next Sunday, we really need it. Our O-Line really needs to play better for us to be remotely competitive.