• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread: We don't huddle anymore in our society.

celestial phantom

I was gonna post the long list of possibilities that would let a bunch of teams get into the playoffs next week, but decided to wait until the end of last night's games, good thing too b/c the Broncos had a really interesting way to get in over the Dolphins (Beat KC, Beat Raiders, Miami loses to NE, and KC beats SD). However, the entire AFC playoff picture is locked up just the final seedings have yet to be determined.

AFC Seedings needs:
- If NE wins over Miami they get the #1 seed.
- If Oakland beats Denver and NE loses to Miami they get the #1 seed. If Oakland loses to Denver they need KC to lose to SD to keep the #2 seed, otherwise if they lose and KC wins they fall to the #5 seed.
- Pittsburgh and Houston are locked into the #3 and #4 seeds respectively, no outcome changes their placement.
- If Miami can win and KC loses, Miami can move up to the #5 seed which places them against the Texans.
- KC wins + Oakland loses, KC gets the #2 seed.

NFC Playoff Scenarios:
- Dallas has the #1 seed locked.
- The NY Giants as far as I understand it have the #5 locked up even if Detroit wins tonight, but loses next week. Unless there's some SoS there that I'm overlooking a bit (b/c I don't want to calc out all the possible scenarios of opponents winning or losing that might be able to surge one over the other.
- If Atlanta wins they get the #2 seed.
- If Detroit wins tonight, and wins against GB next week they get the #3 seed, but if Atlanta loses as well they jump up to the #2 seed.
- If Seattle wins and both Atlanta and Detroit lose they get the #2 seed. If Seattle wins + just Atlanta loses but Detroit wins both, the jump to the #3 seed, or if Seattle wins + Detroit wins/loses one each or GB wins the division they are the #3 seed.
- If Detroit wins tonight but loses next week, they will finish with the #6 seed at worst. If they lose tonight, but win next week they will clinch the division at least and pending Atlanta and Seattle wins can still get the #2 seed at best or will finish with the #4 seed if both of those teams win.
- If GB wins next week, they win the division taking the #4 seed. If Washington loses next week, GB gets in as the #6 seed from the look of it at worst.

Here's where it starts getting good for the two teams on the outside looking in:
- If Detroit wins the division and the Washington Redskins beat the NY Giants, Washington takes the #6 seed.
- If GB wins the division, as long as the Redskins win against NYG and Detroit loses tonight against Dallas, Washington gets in as the #6 seed I believe.
- Tampa Bay apparently has some shot of being in the hunt still, but I have no idea what they need to have happen to beat out the Lions or Packers in a SoS tiebreaker outside needing for sure to have the Redskins lose to NYG. I honestly can't find a scenario in the ESPN Playoff machine that will put TB over the Lions or Packers despite trying a fair amount of different combinations of wins by a lot of different teams that they played. So, honestly I have no idea how the Bucs can get the #6 seed. But, apparently according to NFL.com they are still in the playoff hunt.

Edit: Found out how TB can get in the playoffs: Cowboys beat the Lions, TB beats Carolina, Colts beat Jags, Titans beat Houston (which without Mariota is unlikely), 49ers to beat Seattle (LOL), Cowboys to beat Eagles, Lions beat the Packers, and NYG and Redskins have to tie. It was that NYG/Redskins tie that threw me off. TB is so astronomically little to be alive for the playoffs that there's no way all this happens.

I think there's some more changes that can be made on seeding based on certain wins or losses, but I believe this is the most common ground in a nutshell on what can happen in general without a long list of certain teams winning/losing matches.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
With Pittsburgh being #3 no matter what, do they let the Browns get their second win of the season?

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I was gonna post the long list of possibilities that would let a bunch of teams get into the playoffs next week, but decided to wait until the end of last night's games, good thing too b/c the Broncos had a really interesting way to get in over the Dolphins (Beat KC, Beat Raiders, Miami loses to NE, and KC beats SD). However, the entire AFC playoff picture is locked up just the final seedings have yet to be determined.

AFC Seedings needs:
- If NE wins over Miami they get the #1 seed.
- If Oakland beats Denver and NE loses to Miami they get the #1 seed. If Oakland loses to Denver they need KC to lose to SD to keep the #2 seed, otherwise if they lose and KC wins they fall to the #5 seed.
- Pittsburgh and Houston are locked into the #3 and #4 seeds respectively, no outcome changes their placement.
- If Miami can win and KC loses, Miami can move up to the #5 seed which places them against the Texans.
- KC wins + Oakland loses, KC gets the #2 seed.

NFC Playoff Scenarios:
- Dallas has the #1 seed locked.
- The NY Giants as far as I understand it have the #5 locked up even if Detroit wins tonight, but loses next week. Unless there's some SoS there that I'm overlooking a bit (b/c I don't want to calc out all the possible scenarios of opponents winning or losing that might be able to surge one over the other.
- If Atlanta wins they get the #2 seed.
- If Detroit wins tonight, and wins against GB next week they get the #3 seed, but if Atlanta loses as well they jump up to the #2 seed.
- If Seattle wins and both Atlanta and Detroit lose they get the #2 seed. If Seattle wins + just Atlanta loses but Detroit wins both, the jump to the #3 seed, or if Seattle wins + Detroit wins/loses one each or GB wins the division they are the #3 seed.
- If Detroit wins tonight but loses next week, they will finish with the #6 seed at worst. If they lose tonight, but win next week they will clinch the division at least and pending Atlanta and Seattle wins can still get the #2 seed at best or will finish with the #4 seed if both of those teams win.
- If GB wins next week, they win the division taking the #4 seed. If Washington loses next week, GB gets in as the #6 seed from the look of it at worst.

Here's where it starts getting good for the two teams on the outside looking in:
- If Detroit wins the division and the Washington Redskins beat the NY Giants, Washington takes the #6 seed.
- If GB wins the division, as long as the Redskins win against NYG and Detroit loses tonight against Dallas, Washington gets in as the #6 seed I believe.
- Tampa Bay apparently has some shot of being in the hunt still, but I have no idea what they need to have happen to beat out the Lions or Packers in a SoS tiebreaker outside needing for sure to have the Redskins lose to NYG. I honestly can't find a scenario in the ESPN Playoff machine that will put TB over the Lions or Packers despite trying a fair amount of different combinations of wins by a lot of different teams that they played. So, honestly I have no idea how the Bucs can get the #6 seed. But, apparently according to NFL.com they are still in the playoff hunt.

Edit: Found out how TB can get in the playoffs: Cowboys beat the Lions, TB beats Carolina, Colts beat Jags, Titans beat Houston (which without Mariota is unlikely), 49ers to beat Seattle (LOL), Cowboys to beat Eagles, Lions beat the Packers, and NYG and Redskins have to tie. It was that NYG/Redskins tie that threw me off. TB is so astronomically little to be alive for the playoffs that there's no way all this happens.

I think there's some more changes that can be made on seeding based on certain wins or losses, but I believe this is the most common ground in a nutshell on what can happen in general without a long list of certain teams winning/losing matches.

With tampa, it reminds of the eagles in 2008. They needed like 5 or 6 different things to happen to get into the playoffs going into the last week and literally everything happened perfectly.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I had a feeling the Lions game would go like this. Dallas is just too good. The Lions are looking like the same old Lions tonight. I hope they don't lay an egg like this against Green Bay, but they most likely will.

I shouldn't be surprised. The Lions have always been losers letting us fans down. They will choke away a playoff spot because it's the Lions job to always let us down.

Same old song and dance. Let's get the fans excited and then rip their hearts out. That's the life of a Lions fan.

Last edited:

ebevan91

Wasn't expecting this big of a win since Detroit had something to play for and Dallas didn't.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The Lions and the Packers will most likely choke before they even make it to the championship game, let alone the Superbowl. The Lions are pretty much like the Footballs Cubs and the Packers are still under the curse of the squirrel lol.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Right now the giants are the only nfc team that can stop the cowboys. They are just the perfect match for them. The falcons are playing good, but I dont think they could beat the cowboys in dallas.

ebevan91

Right now the giants are the only nfc team that can stop the cowboys. They are just the perfect match for them. The falcons are playing good, but I dont think they could beat the cowboys in dallas.

I'm not so sure Dallas would lose to New York a 3rd time. It is very rare that a team beats another team 3 times in a single season. Prescott was playing in his first game in week 1 and had a bad game the 2nd time they lost. If I was a betting man I'd say IF Dallas loses in the playoffs, it won't be to New York.

Navin

MALDREAD
Oh look, another Cowbys/Lions game with a bevy of one-sided officiating for Dallas. Ah well, Lions would have lost anyway, but seriously, **** the Cowboys.

Had a feeling it would come down to the final game when it involves the Lions. Destiny is still in their hands however, especially since the game is at home.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The officiating was garbage and one sided, but the Lions playing like crap didn't help either.

It doesn't matter. Goodell would never want a team like the Lions in the Super Bowl anyways. Even if the Lions made it to the playoffs Goodell would make sure that the Lions don't go far. The Lions won't generate money like Dallas or New England. It's all about the money.

I would love to see the Lions win a Super Bowl someday before I'm dead and gone. I doubt I get my wish.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I mean Jerry Jones at this point is just a corpse stuffed with money. Dallas is the team with the most worth across all sports in the world.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
On a more positive note, this will be the first season since 2011 in which no 10-win teams will miss the playoffs. In the AFC, the best record that can be achieved by a non-playoff team is 9-7. And only two NFC teams who haven't clinched a playoff spot remain in contention for 10 wins, and they play each other Sunday night, winner takes the NFC North, loser still might get into the playoffs if Washington loses anyway.

bobjr

Staff member
Rex and Rob Ryan are both fired, and while they're not good coaches it looks like the Bills Front Office is even worse than them right now.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Yep, not since 2011 when they won the SB in which they defeated the Pats, yet again.

The 2007 season was probably the best run I've ever seen personally though. The teams the Giants beat in the playoffs, Tampa Bay was meh tbh, but then against my Boys when they went 13-3 with Romo, T.O., Marion Barber, etc...was good, then vs the Packers at Lambeau with Favre n Co where they won in OT, and of course vs the perfect Patriots for the SB win. I still remember Brady laughing during an interview a day or so prior when they asked him if they were going to score more than 17 pts (they were running up the score on everyone that season). Most people remember only Eli scrambling and the David Tyree circus catch, but I remember the real reason they won is because of the Giants D-Line (Osi, Tuck, Strahan, Robbins, Coefield) getting after Brady and causing chaos lol, was so good.

2011 was really hard for me. Packers went 15-1 only to see it all go to waste in the playoffs thanks to Eli and the Giants, them winning the Super Bowl made it even more frustrating. Even worse, our rivals the Bears were able to go 15-1 and win the Super Bowl all those years ago (at least now they have the longest title drought out of all Chicago teams, thank you Cubbies!).

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I mean Jerry Jones at this point is just a corpse stuffed with money. Dallas is the team with the most worth across all sports in the world.
Yeah but at least he built a billion dollar playpen for him, the Cowboys, and fans to play in lol. They've also been drafting a lot better/smarter in the past few seasons as well.

As for the Ryan brothers being fired, it's about time. Rex is better off going back to being a D-Coordinator and Rob should just....go away.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
If the NFL Playoffs were 16 teams:

all teams currently in would be in, as would DET, GB, WAS

these would be the clinching scenarios for five teams that would still be in contention:

Baltimore:
In with win or Tennessee or Denver loss (holds tiebreakers over both)

Tennessee:
In with win or Denver loss (holds tiebreaker)

Denver:
In with win and Baltimore or Tennessee loss

Tampa Bay:
In with just a win or New Orleans loss (wouldn't need all the other stuff to happen)

New Orleans:
In with win and Tampa Bay loss (holds tiebreaker)

bobjr

Staff member
Yeah the Ryans being fired was the right thing for the wrong reasons, since the front office is planning to get rid of all their good players on a chance to get all better players.

celestial phantom

Again hoping teams stop hiring guys that are mostly hacks as head coaches (Fisher, Rex) and give more chances to guys who haven't had shots at it yet. Also, as it stands apparently the Colts have a tie position with the Saints and BIlls for the #12-14 spot in the draft. However, if the Bills win their final game, and the Saints win their final game, we go up one spot if we lose our final game, which puts us at #12. Wouldn't be so bad to see us drafting just outside the top 10. We could use a prime linebacker either on the edge or inside as well as addressing the need for a more consistent OLine that will fill out the Kelly, Mewhort, Costonzo line that we have working for us now. We could probably find a nice LB in FA and use the pick to draft another OLineman, but first pick might actually be better used for the defensive side with a top linebacker.

bobjr

Staff member
Part of the problem now is coaches are seen as the easy disposable problem when there are dozens of other factors. It takes 2-3 years to turn a team around minimum, baring outlier situations, so teams who don't have an instant turn around it's all on the coach who's still putting his team together. There are times where a lot of it is on the coach, but rarely is the coach the entire problem.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Yeah, coaches take all of the heat pretty much. As a Lions fan I've ragged on Caldwell and past coaches, but the problems of the Lions run much deeper.