• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread: We don't huddle anymore in our society.

celestial phantom

That's all I needed to know in that paragraph,some people will never learn.

To be honest, college stats are irrelevant to discussion of the best pro football player of all time. Some of these records don't even matter in relation to being called the "best". I mean let's just go down the list:

Regular season

First quarterback to reach 200 career wins (playoffs and regular season) - Guess what? Tom Brady is #2 in that category being the only other QB to get that many wins. Guess what? Peyton has 3 (2 depending on the stat being including when they themselves were the starters or if the team win is counted) season over Tom as a starter meaning he's had about a 30 or so game lead the entire time. Kind of an irrelevant stat, but the fact Tom caught up and is likely going to surpass Peyton's win amount is a notch for Tom too.

Most Regular season career wins as starting quarterback: 186 (shared with Brett Favre) - Tom is #3 on the list, and if he plays next season, barring the Pats falling apart or injury, Tom will surpass both as he only needs 4 wins to do it.

Most touchdown passes, season: 55 (2013) - Guess who is #2? That'd be Tom Brady with 50, pretty damn close.

Most passing yards, season: 5,477 (2013) - I mean if we want to argue this one, Peyton only beat Brees record by 1 yard, and Brees has made this list way more than both Brady and Peyton. So, overall Brees is best in this category.

Most games with 40+ pass attempts in a season: 10 (2010) - This is one of those irrelevant stats. Who should anyone care about holding the record of having some amount of games with 40+ passing attempts in a season? Literally irrelevant to anyone's greatness. Honestly it tells me that your team was either likely behind and you had to force your way downfield making many throws, or you got pass happy as hell. I could throw it all game instead of choosing to run the ball, would that make me the GOAT in this category just for doing it as long as I had a full season throwing it 40+ times?

Most consecutive games started to open a career: 208 - Isn't this essentially the Iron man stat? Isn't this one held by Favre and his almost 300 straight game starts?

Most consecutive seasons with at least 20 touchdown passes: 13 (1998–2010) - I mean this is an all injury dependent one. If we look at the likelihood of both men achieving it barring injuries, Peyton would come to like 17, Tom had he fully started the year he took over for Bledsoe would be around 15 (if he didn't miss the 08 season).

Most consecutive games started to open a career: 208 - Just a longevity stat.

Most consecutive games with at least 2 touchdown passes: 13 (games 1–13, 2004) - This one apparently only considers consecutive regular season games (ignoring playoff play) and continuing them to the next year as long as it's uninterrupted in the regular season. Which technically Peyton holds at 15 during his 2013 into 2014 season with the Broncos. But if we go by just consecutive through including the playoffs, Peyton doesn't hold this alone as Rodgers has done it. Then Unitas next with 12, followed by a three way tie of Marino and Brady doing it twice at 10. I'd rather consider all play for something like this.

Most consecutive games with at least 4 touchdown passes: 5 (games 7–11, 2004) - Tom holds the record of consecutive 3+ ones with Peyton right behind him just for the record, but this one is also impressive. Also noting Brady is tied for having back to back games with 5+ TDs, something Peyton hasn't done.

Most games with at least 4 touchdown passes, season: 8 (2013) - Tom's 2007 season has 5 for comparison.
Most regular season games with at least 4 touchdown passes, career: 25 - For the sake of updating it, this past season Tom has hit a total of 26 games in his career with at least 4 TDs in them. So, if anything this past season Tom has overtaken Peyton here if my math is right.

Most games with at least 5 touchdown passes, career: 8 (includes 1 playoff game) - Tom's at 5 or 6 on this one, I lost count on the last one when going through the current seasons of the game log, so he's right up on Peyton on not being too far behind on it.

Highest completion percentage by a QB in one month in NFL history (min. 75 attempts): 81.8% (December 2008) - Don't see what having one really good month means in regards to being the best. Anyone could practically hold this and it's not really relevant to how good someone is. Just means someone had a pretty good month.

Most career games with a completion percentage of 70% or higher (min. 10 attempts): 66 - Tom's roughly at 58 on these, didn't include playoffs, assume this is a regular season stat thing. He isn't that far off from Peyton in this regard either.

Most consecutive regular season wins as a starter: 23 (2008–2009) - Tom's behind on this one by like a few games depending how you transition the very end of 2006 all the way through 2007 with 19 wins, but if you count the 2008 game he started as a win to 20, and his return in 09 that makes 21. Who knows where this would be if Tom didn't get injured in 08, so it's kind of an eh stat line but Peyton will hold it due to unforeseen circumstances that we will never know about Tom's 08 season.

Most seasons with 10+ wins as a starter (regular season only): 14 (1999–2000, 2002–2010, 2012–2014) - Tom's up to 14 as well as of the end of this season.
Most seasons with 12+ wins as a starter (regular season only): 11 (1999, 2003–2009, 2012–2014) - Tom's here with 10, would be 11 tying Peyton again if it wasn't for the bullsh*t suspension this season. Can we seriously replace Goodell already as commish? He's so bad especially with stuff like this.

Only QB with seven straight seasons of 12+ wins as a starter(2003–2009) - See previous stat and again about one bullsh*t suspension handed down by one Roger Goodell.

Only QB to lead five consecutive 4th quarter comeback wins (games 7–11, 2009) - This one came close to being tied this season by Matt Stafford of all people, but the fact the Saints got so easily trounced by the Lions the whole game broke the streak at 3 instead of leading into a 4th which would have lead into a 5th one.

Most wins as a starting QB in a decade, regular season: 115 (2000s) - I don't think any QB in the 60s or 70s had any higher wins than maybe the 70s or a few 80s, but with their 14 game seasons, a decade would produce about 20 more games to possibly win, so kind of skewed towards current era, but again I don't know if any QB from the 60s or 70s come even close to 90 wins that it'd matter, and even before that were like 12 game seasons and all, so #'s would add up quickly potentially. Brady has 96 as the next highest of the last decade and he didn't even play for 2 seasons of it. Could have inched and even beat Peyton in ths category cause relevant.

Franchise records are kind of irrelevant unless you are comparing them directly against someone else. So instead of listing them out 1 by 1, list Peyton's for his franchise (mostly the colts) vs Tom's records in the NE franchise, then we can see some stuff. I could probably do it later or something. Not feeling it now.

Let's not forget Drew Brees.

I didn't forget about Brees. Even stated that Brees is among Tom and Peyton for most of the current era records as the trio are pretty much top 5 in many categories together.

Manning did more with less while Brady did less with more.

Um, Peyton had 2 STAR HOF level wide receivers for his entire Colts career in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. He also had a star running back in Edgerrin James for years. As well Peyton and the Colts from about 2000 up until 2009/2010 a better offensive line than the Patriots. Sure our OLine isn't up to snuff now, but Peyton has always had one of the top rated Pass Protection offensive lines throughout all last decade and when he made the switch to Denver for 2012-2014, guess who was highly rated at pass protection over NE Pats by a large margin? Oh the Broncos. Both Pass Protection and mostly Run Blocking, Peyton has had a better rated OLine than Brady and the Pats during his Colts tenure.

Relevant to Brady? Brady has only ever had 1 STAR wide-out in Randy Moss and that was for almost only 2 years (07 and 09). The next closest in production values is Wes Welker who benefited from Moss on the team, but his poor hands essentially cost them that year's super bowl. Every other WR Brady has had? They aren't superstars, they are guys who ended up putting up average values but only ever coming in clutch when it was needed. The stats won't reflect what Edelman or Amendola or Troy Brown or some others have done for this team. RBs? The best they ever had was free agent Corey Dillion for about 2 years, the next closest to production values for the team is currently Le'garrett Blount lol. Blount's not really a superstar, and most RBs are capable of being productive lately behind their scheme and line over the last couple of years. The only thing Brady has had that ever outclassed Peyton is an elite defense. That is the only team tangible that Brady has on Peyton as more than Peyton ever had. Peyton has had better talents for WRs, RBs, and Offensive Lineman than Brady has ever had.

All this wall of text is coming from a Colts fan, a big fan of Peyton, and even I can see that Brady is the premier management talent that gets the job done and gets the most important thing, the ultimate victory. Peyton got lead to a second SB victory on the defense in a very bad Super Bowl game, let's not forget that. All that work for the team that year? It was all due to the defense. Also yes, even as a colts fan from above I call that Brady getting suspended was bullsh*t. Goodell is a horrible commish, "deflategate" was stupid as hell as it had no bearing on that game, and Brady shouldn't have been suspended lol. Anyone who thinks so is pretty damn stupid in my opinion. I won't lie i enjoyed seeing it, but think it was honestly stupid.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
If you want a system player that got really overrated just look at Terrell Davis. Looking at his stats it was one amazing year and that's it.

celestial phantom

If you want a system player that got really overrated just look at Terrell Davis. Looking at his stats it was one amazing year and that's it.

TD had 3 good years from 96 to 98 though. 3 years of over 1300 rushing yards, over 10 touchdowns in each. Hit roughly 100 yards+ a game iirc probably hit more an average of 120 yards most games. The last full year he played was his best for sure, but the two leading into it were very productive as well.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
TD had 3 good years from 96 to 98 though. 3 years of over 1300 rushing yards, over 10 touchdowns in each. Hit roughly 100 yards+ a game iirc probably hit more an average of 120 yards most games. The last full year he played was his best for sure, but the two leading into it were very productive as well.

Once Elway left the picture things went downhill for him.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I guess for me I consider Tom Brady to be one of the best QB of the NFL all time due to how his career has played out so far with the 5 Super Bowl Rings he earned so far. I would say he has the edge over Favre due to Favre's interception rate.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I agree, but wasn't every RB in the Mike Shanahan scheme a system player who was overrated? lol. :D

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
It may be Belichick's system, but Tom Brady is the one out there playing and making the throws in crunch time. He was clutch in the Super Bowl. Tom Brady has the arm and the intangibles to succeed. Even when he's getting sacked, or when he's under pressure, he pulls through. He's not a choke artist.

If I had a team he would be my quarterback. Tom Brady is the best quarterback in NFL history. In my opinion anyways.

bobjr

Staff member
I agree, but wasn't every RB in the Mike Shanahan scheme a system player who was overrated? lol. :D

I'd almost push that to the 90's in general for RB's except for Emmet Smith, who had one of the best O-Lines in history.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I'd almost push that to the 90's in general for RB's except for Emmet Smith, who had one of the best O-Lines in history.

I kind of think one barry sanders didnt benefit too much from a great o-line, or a system. He is one of the top 3 rbs of all time to me....possibly 1. I have him up there with jim brown and erik Dickerson.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
Sanders is the other one, and while he didn't have Dallas he did have a much better O-Line than people give him credit for. Plus Sander's best ability was yards after contact.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Sanders is the other one, and while he didn't have Dallas he did have a much better O-Line than people give him credit for. Plus Sander's best ability was yards after contact.

That was definitely his best, but even before contact, he was a true ankle breaker before even getting past the lines.

bobjr

Staff member
That was definitely his best, but even before contact, he was a true ankle breaker before even getting past the lines.

Well he does also hold the record for negative yards by a running back, but then again Brett Farve is the interception leader.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
August and September is a long ways away. Football season went by too fast.

Next up: The NFL Draft.

bobjr

Staff member
Well you can blame Rick Smith for that. And he's the Texans's owner's granddaughters godfather, so good luck getting rid of him.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The Ravens' secondary is starting to become scary, first with the Jefferson signing and now with Carr, this is actually starting to look like a complete and competent secondary (although we could still use a CB in the draft, but it's less of a need now). Refreshing to see talent on this unit not named Jimmy Smith.

Lack of talent is becoming less and less of an excuse for this team not to make the playoffs. If it doesn't happen this year, heads will start to roll.

ebevan91

>Brandon Carr
>Scary

Pick one

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
>Brandon Carr
>Scary

Pick one

Well we don't need Carr in particular to be a huge playmaker, we just need him to not give up big plays. But with two of the top safeties in the league and two other playmaking CBs in Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young? That looks like a damn good secondary.