• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread: We don't huddle anymore in our society.

celestial phantom

Loved getting malik hooker in the first, then we're able to get Quincy Wilson in the second? I mean I figured the pick would have been Tyus Bowser, but Quincy is a fine pick. Colts secondary looking better already. Figured that the 3rd round we'd end up being able to get Tim Williams for our next pass rusher, but well the ravens beat us to it by two picks. Hell it would have fit as one of Irsay's favorite types of players! A guy who has failed some drug tests, has a rap sheet, and is a pass rusher! He must have been salivating over the potential of that pick almost falling to his team. Terell Basham though isn't a bad substitute for having a guy be a pass rusher I guess. We'll see how it plays out. So far 3 for 3 on defense, already liking this draft more than last year.

Swordsman4

Since half of you are Michigan fans, can ya'll tell me about Taco Charlton? How is he? My Boys drafted him last night. Good pick or no?

Think he's a bit of a reach. His size is good and he really came on towards the end of the year, but I don't think he's quite as explosive as the other ends. His speed at the combine wasn't that great.

And tonight Detroit went back to their old ways by screwing up in so many ways. Golladay and a troubled cornerback that is slower than molasses? Matt Mayhew is that you? Willis of K-State is a way better pick. Good character and could have been lined up opposite Ansah.

They could have stayed at 85 and picked Hunt, they could have picked James Connor. They could have picked Amara Darboh. Nope! We do stupid moves of trading down and picking freaking Golladay who is projected to be a 4th WR.

And how 'bout the Ravens and Seahawks picking some awesome Michigan players in Wormley and Darboh?

Loved them when they were in UM uniforms! Darboh was as sure handed as they came and Wormley stopped the run well. Good contributors in any team.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Rams got Gerald Everett, Cooper Kupp, and John Johnson so far. I'm okay with these picks.

I wanted Godwin, dangit Bucs.

Chargers got 2 Guards, to try to protect Rivers.

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Chris Wormley is a good fit for the Ravens. I saw that Dallas drafted Jourdan Lewis as well. Amara Darboh is a good reciever it was nice to see him get drafted. Hopefully Jehu Chesson gets drafted as well.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Chris Wormley is a good fit for the Ravens. I saw that Dallas drafted Jourdan Lewis as well. Amara Darboh is a good reciever it was nice to see him get drafted. Hopefully Jehu Chesson gets drafted as well.
Chiefs got Chesson! I don't know much about him, but I'm gonna assume he's pretty good.

Swordsman4

I hoped the Lions would pick Darboh. He reminds me of Boldin a bit. Not the fastest guy in the world, but he runs routes well and works his rear end off. Seahawks are getting a real gamer.

Wormley to Ravens is cool! John Harbaugh will know how to get the most out of him. Wormley was great at stuffing the run.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I hoped the Lions would pick Darboh. He reminds me of Boldin a bit. Not the fastest guy in the world, but he runs routes well and works his rear end off. Seahawks are getting a real gamer.

Wormley to Ravens is cool! John Harbaugh will know how to get the most out of him. Wormley was great at stuffing the run.

I was hoping the Lions would pick Darboh as well. Darboh is a good route runner and possession reciever.

Yup. Wormley will help out that Ravens defensive line quite a bit. He's a great run stuffer.

Chiefs got Chesson! I don't know much about him, but I'm gonna assume he's pretty good.

Great pick by the Chiefs. Chesson is actually a great return man. A lot of players on Michigan's team said Chesson is the fastest player on the team. You can definitely see the speed when watching Chesson play. He's also a deep ball threat.

Swordsman4

I was hoping the Lions would pick Darboh as well. Darboh is a good route runner and possession reciever.

Yup. Wormley will help out that Ravens defensive line quite a bit. He's a great run stuffer.

Great pick by the Chiefs. Chesson is actually a great return man. A lot of players on Michigan's team said Chesson is the fastest player on the team. You can definitely see the speed when watching Chesson play. He's also a deep ball threat.

Can you explain why Detroit passed on all the late round running backs. Hunt, Connor, Perine, and Gallman were solid backs in college. They would have added some depth to our backfield.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Can you explain why Detroit passed on all the late round running backs. Hunt, Connor, Perine, and Gallman were solid backs in college. They would have added some depth to our backfield.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm surprised that Dalvin Cook didn't get drafted sooner as well. I would have loved to see Detroit get him.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Running backs are a bit of a liability right now. They either tend to bust or get injured, so it's not worth spending a high draft pick on one unless they really stand out or you really have no options on your team.

And before anyone says Elliot Dallas spent like 5 years perfecting an O-Line so good that even a mediocre running back would look good.

Swordsman4

Running backs are a bit of a liability right now. They either tend to bust or get injured, so it's not worth spending a high draft pick on one unless they really stand out or you really have no options on your team.

And before anyone says Elliot Dallas spent like 5 years perfecting an O-Line so good that even a mediocre running back would look good.

The Lions were near the bottom of the league in rushing yards. Two of the four running backs they have were hurt last year and are coming off surgery. One of the RBs has a history of injuries. I really thought that they would take one in the second, third, or fourth round to further for insurance in case of injury.

Then again this is the Lions I'm talking about so...

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Now we got two deep threats! Man, next year if Mahomes turns out, he's just gonna throw deep every play. It'll be fun to watch.

Swordsman4

Now we got two deep threats! Man, next year if Mahomes turns out, he's just gonna throw deep every play. It'll be fun to watch.

Mahomes reminds me of Matthew Stafford. If he pans out, you'll have a solid QB capable of winning you some games.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Ravens are really hedging their bets on having a Super Bowl XXXV caliber defense again. They spent all of their early picks on defense (1 on CB, 3 on pass rush) and did pretty much nothing about offense except pick up two late round guards for their run blocking. At this point anything short of an elite defense is going to be a disappointment.

celestial phantom

The 2017 Draft is in the books, and so it's now time to look forward to training camp and the eventual season opener which will be highlighted by the Chiefs visiting New England (That should be a really good game for an opener). I think just to help keep the thread alive in the off-season post draft, I'll take on the role of doing a write up like someone tried to last year before forgetting to update or just couldn't be bothered to continue after a few of them. I don't think I'll try to make it daily, but maybe every 3-4 days that way anyone lurking can discuss the team as a plot point and give some breathing room so it's not just me making a slight wall of text after wall of text post. I'll try to keep it more concise with plot points over full length sentences for the sake of keeping it readable with some full length ones when I wanna open up on an idea. So why don't we begin with the worst team from last year:

1. The Cleveland Browns

Stats:

Record: 1-15
Total Offensive Rank: 30th (311 yards per game)
Total Defensive Rank: 31st (allowed 392 yards per game)
Pass Offense Rank: 28th (204 yards per game)
Pass Defense Rank: 21st (allowed 249 pass yards per game)
Run Offense Rank: 19th (107 yards per game)
Run Defense Rank: 31st (allowed 142 rushing yards per game)

Analysis: It's no surprise that the team with the worst record comes in near dead last in almost every category. Where to even begin on the myriad of problems this team has that we all know of?

- Still no constant leadership under center at QB, Coaching, or front office personnel. The team still has no direction they wanted to go in this last season, and it was most likely a way to dump a lot of players after a horrible season with new players coming into the draft.

- The passing game stalled especially with Coleman being injured, Barnidge having a poor season, Gordon entering himself into rehab, where the lone bright spot was Terrelle Pryor and he was basically hit and miss all season.

- The only consistency this team had was in their offensive line. Joe Thomas being the experience the team has helped them not entirely fall apart and with Greco held up pretty well to let Crowell and Duke Johnson do some work while having to deal with all the QB issues.

- The lack of veteran leadership at most positions on this team is surprising, especially without having much in terms of true star players on this squad. As far as I see most of this team is made up of 24-26 year old players which means at least maybe only 3 or so years of experience based on what year they were drafted and the capacity that any of them played.

Transactions (Pre-Draft):

Signings: Kenny Britt (WR), JC Tretter (C), Kevin Zeitler (G), Marcus Martin (C), Brett Maher (K), Matt McCants (T)
Depatures: Josh McCown (QB), Robert Griffin 3rd (QB), Terrelle Pryor (WR), Tramon Williams (CB), Andrew Hawkins (WR)
Acquired By Trade: Brock Osweiler

Analysis: Not a lot happened pre-draft. They added a few offensive linemen, a serviceable wide receiver in Britt, and released basically their aging players as well as their one hit WR wonder Pryor, and acquired Brock from the Texans for reasons about the fact they had a huge cap room and had to do something with the money.

2017 NFL Draft Picks: Myles Garrett (DE, R1, Pick 1), Jabrill Peppers (S, R1, Pick 25), David Njoku (TE, R1, Pick 29), Deshone Kizer (QB, R2, Pick 52), Larry Obunjogi (DT, R3, Pick 65), Howard Wilson (CB, R4, Pick 126), Roderick Johnson (OT, R5, Pick 160), Caleb Brantley (DT, R6, Pick 185), Zane Gonzalez (K, R6, Pick 224), Matt Dayes (RB, R7, Pick 252)

Analysis:

- Myles and Jabril picks should be a big help to bolster two spots on the defense that needed to be addressed with better athletes. It's a good thing the Browns didn't try to throw mud at a random QB with the first rounders, and moving back from the 12th spot when the Texans jumped all the way for their hopeful QB of the future to get a few extra picks was good, especially with how all those defensive talents were sliding with the random surge of WRs and QBs going in the top 15 spots.

- Waiting on a QB for once was a welcome from this franchise, especially as Kizer naturally came to them in the 2nd round. They really need to stick with a guy and develop him. Between Osweiler, Kessler, and Kizer, they should just give Kizer the reigns during training camp so he's well prepared for the season. Remember how well Kirk Cousins came out after getting more reps out of the first team over the last year or so? Give the man the reigns from the get go, drop Osweiler when you can.

- Moving back into the 1st for Njoku kind of confused me. Getting a solid TE can do good for a team, but I don't think they had to trade back in for him, and if they missed on him then the second rounder could have been used for again a quality player who was slipping due to first round shenanigans.

- Adding depth at DT and CB was a good move, and it doesn't hurt to add OL guys when necessary. I doubt these middle rounders will pan out for them, but Obunjogi can't be any worse than any of the others on the front 7 they have now. Brantley is a risky pick, but at the tail end of the draft where a lot of guys end up getting cut, it's a pick with a worthy return if he's not convicted, but I still don't like the pick because I wouldn't ever draft guys who are known to have committed any form of assault.

- Overall I say they won in the draft, now it comes to actual talent development.

Post Draft News: After the draft and with the pick of Njoku, the Browns released TE Gary Barnidge after a down season. As well they released Guard Alvin Bailey the same day as well.

Final Word: The Browns should improve as a team on the defensive side of the ball up front and deep in the secondary. They didn't address anything in their Linebacker corps. so they will likely still be very suspect in the middle of the field, and until Myles or someone else becomes a dominant figure on the front seven, they'll likely still struggle against the running game. The Browns should hope that Joe Haden has a rebound year as he's still in his prime, and they can get a lot out of him if he remains healthy and productive which is a boon to the defense. Offensively it comes down to Kizer/Osweiler/Kessler on who adapts and wins the starting job. The Line won't hold forever, so someone has to take initiative and start making the plays. One of the problems with the QBs is that many haven't been making intelligent decisions or end up having to wait to long to try and make plays. Osweiler likely isn't going to be the solution based on his play in Houston, and only being decent among the great WR/RBs and defense Denver had. Go all in on Kizer from day one of camp, and maybe we'll see a turn around.

Prediction for 2017: 4-12 record. The AFC North is always tough, and the only times the Browns manage wins are home games if they are lucky usually on the hands of stout defensive games. They also play the AFC South of which each team has made some good improvements this draft, and with returning talents if healthy will be hard pressed to find games to win here. Due to being able to face the Jets, Chargers, Bears, and Vikings on the schedule I give them the chance for 4 wins. Their sole win last season was against the Chargers, where as they could have won against the Jets, who will still have problems offensively this season, as well the Bears look like a mess on paper, and the Vikings will be without their dominant RB Peterson as well as QB Teddy Bridgewater who likely will miss this season as well. All these teams have some key struggles on paper and likely will have a poor season, and I think these are the games the Browns have a ceiling to win outside winning a late game division game at the end of the season due to a rival resting starters.

We'll look at San Francisco next due to having the next worst record in the league. As the draft was the only high point of the Browns off season so far, which of the picks did you like better? Myles or maybe Jabril? What do you think they should have done if they didn't trade back into the first for Njoku? Do you think not having to inherit problem QBs will lead Hue to turn this franchise around if they are able to go all in on Kizer day 1? How will the loss of Pryor affect their attempt at the passing game especially due to Corey Coleman being injured most of last season and them not being able to utilize both guys to their fullest in games, especially with a new QB who could of wanted an athletic guy in Pryor to be part of the WR corps.?

Last edited:

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
I'm a BIG fan of Kizer, and I would not be surprised if he wins the starting job at quarterback at the beginning of the season. He fits in with the AFC North very well 'cause he's big and strong. Roethlisberger and Flacco are both big quarterbacks, and they do well in that division because of their size. The last time the Browns had a winning season, they were starting Derek Anderson, who's big too. I actually think their offense will be kinda fun. Their offensive line looks much better on paper, and they still have Crowell and Johnson in the backfield. I like Coleman and Njoku, but I think the departures of Pryor and Barnidge will be tough on the team. I would've kept Barnidge if I were the Browns because he brings some veteran leadership, but they probably thought he cost them too much money.

Now onto the defense. Ugh, it still looks bad. I think they have some pieces, but still. It looks really bad. Garrett and Peppers will help out, and Jamie Collins is pretty good, but everyone else on that defense is not.

I agree with their record of 4-12. Maybe 5-11 because they seem to play the Ravens pretty tough the past few years. I hope that win total will be able to keep Hue Jackson with the team. I'm not a particular Browns fan, but I always wish them the best of luck because, well, they're the Browns.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I expect nothing less than a Super Bowl title from the Packers, need I remind you I think it's the only thing that can save McCarthy's job at this point?