• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread

Vernikova

Champion
I thought it was funny he was talking about someone else beating the Patriots. Maybe if they'd swept them last year I'd get it, but they lost one the game 45-3. Losing a game 45-3 removes your right to make that statement.

He has a winning record against the Patriots so it's not all bad. Plus, he's probably just talking smack like that since if no other teams beat the Patriots, the Jets will never win the AFC East. Last year for example, the Patriots went 14-2 and they were only beaten by the Jets and the Browns. The Jets aren't going to go 15-1 in the regular season and everyone knows that.

Nightwing

World's Greatest
Hopefully my Panthers will have a better season then the last one.

The thing with each consecutive season teams are never playing at the same level they were playing at last year.

I mean lets use 09 as an example.

"Well he threw that interception in the Superbowl, but Peyton Manning is one of the best QBs of all time, the Colts will still contend next year!

You can easily compare this to Brady's similar levels of success this year, while Brady is more consistent year in and year out (in terms of winning, not stats) than Manning, I see both of these QBs on the decline, and Brady has a much more competitive rival in the Jets than Manning does in the Texans.

The Saints are young! They have Drew Brees at the the helm! They're set to compete for years

While the Saints didn't suck too bad the next season (If it werent for the seahawks. No doubt they'd be playing the packers in the NFC championship) They had clearly gone through a dreaded superbowl hangover. You can compare their miracle SB victory to the Packers who had won with 16 players on IR. As a Packers fan, I really want to believe that Finley and Grant will keep us competitive next season, I just can't say they won't be suffering the same thing the Saints did without watching them for 3-5 weeks. If they don't get off to a 4-1 or 5-0 start its safe to say they lost some of the magic.

The Chargers and the Packers, were the two hottest teams heading into the Playoffs, they have amazing young QBs at the helm! They're gonna win it all next year

While the Packers did end up winning it all. Losses to the Redskins, Dolphins, and Lions were embarrassing. You can tell me that it didnt matter, and that they had 16 players on IR all you want, the fact is, this team was capable of beating the Giants, Eagles, Bears, Falcons, Steelers, and (maybe) even the Patriots. And they lost to 2nd and even 3rd rate teams. Its clear they didnt live up the regular season expectations. The O-Line allowed Rodgers to be sacked 31 times and miss a game, you don't let that kind of thing happen to your team mvp.

And the Chargers....How do you go from a 10 game winning streak to a 9-7 record next year? Blame special teams all you want, but Green Bay had the 26th ranked special teams unit last year and still contended till the very end.

So lets throw in intangibles into the mix of my 2011-2012 season predictions. Because clearly they matter.

NFC North

1. Green-Bay 13-3 maybe even 14-2. I still think they're capable of beating this Superbowl Hangover and dominate in the regular season for the first time.

2. Chicago 11-5 maybe 12-4. It all depends on Roy Williams playmaking ability, they still have an easy schedule and have something to play for. This team beat both the Jets and the Eagles in important regular season games so I don't think they just got lucky last year. If Cutler can get some protection, he'll benefit from being in the same system for 2 years in a row for the first time.

3. Min 11-5 or 7-9. If Mcnabb really wanted to he could prove that he's not all washed up and still has a couple of games left in him. If he's capable of playing like he did in his tenure at the Eagles then the Vikes could feasible steal the number 2 spot away from the bears, but as it is they haven't proven themselves capable.

4. Detroit 9-7 or 10-6. Stafford needs to stay healthy.

NFC South

1. Falcons 13-3 or 12-4. Unbeatable at home, capable of winning on the road as well. Built to contend for years.

2. Saints 13-3 or 12-4 Every bit as good as the Falcons are, superbowl hangover ended in Seattle, they need to prove themselves again.

3. Tampa Bay 7-9 or 8-8. Won't have NFC west teams to pad their record.

4. Panthers 6-10 or 7-9 improved in free agency, Cam is still unproven.

NFC East.

1. New York Giants 12-4 or 11-5. Before this free agency period they were the most talented team in the NFC, they havent lived up to early season expectations for the past 2 years, but I think this team has something to prove this year.

2. Dallas 10-6 or 9-7. Romo should stay healthy this season, but even when he was healthy last season the boys were 1-7. Dallas doesn't put up with failure so I doubt you'll see a losing record from them agan.

3. Philly 8-8 or 14-2. The eagles are on a three game losing streak (that could be a 4 game losing streak if it werent for the stupidest punt in history) they lost to both the cowboys and the Vikings, both using their backup QBs with nothing to play for. Philly was playing for a bye. Teams have figured Mike Vick out I just don't see him staying healthy. If he does however, this is the team to beat.

4. Redskins 3-13 or 4-12. Maybe they'll draft Andew Luck in 2012.

NFC West.

1. St Louis 10-6 or 9-7. Expect them to be 6-0 or 5-1 in the division, they added a receiver for Stafford, they have a solid running game. The only PROVEN good QB in the division.

2. Cardinals 8-8 or 9-7 Kolb should benefit from an easier schedule than he had in Philly.

3. San Fran 6-10 or 7-9 Another year, another offensive coordinator in the Bay area

4. Seattle 5-11 They could get the number 3 or even 2 spot. But everyone knows that they're in for a trap game when they face the hawks. They don't have the element of surprise any more.

If anyone cares I'll do the AFC sometime this day.....

Last edited:

Nightwing

World's Greatest
NFC South

4. Panthers 6-10 or 7-9 improved in free agency, Cam is still unproven.

I doubt my Panthers will go 6-10. 7-9 probably but, still I hope they play better and Cam can become our Michael Vick.

I doubt my Panthers will go 6-10. 7-9 probably but, still I hope they play better and Cam can become our Michael Vick.

Its the much tougher schedule that brings down the Panthers. The NFC North is gonna be really hard to beat, games against the packers, Bears, Lions, and of course 2 games against the Falcons, Saints, and bucs. Then you have the AFC East, Jets and Pats are gonna be impossible for Carolina to beat with a first year QB. Aside from a few upsets I don't see them breaking 7-9.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer

Cam has so much to develop before he is going to be a successful QB in the NFL. I honestly was not blown away by his passing ability this past year, and if he runs like he did in college, he is going to get snapped in half.

Personally, I would like to see him be a bit more humble and mature. He has stated himself that he sees himself as an icon.

The look on his face when he got snubbed for every kind of football award at the ESPYs was priceless, he looked like he was holding back tears. Of course the voters probably still have a hard time getting over the allegations he had at Auburn.

In my bias opinion, Tebow is going to have a longer career than cam. Yeah Tebow has many of the same issues cam does with his play on the field, but what Tebow has that cam doesn't is the intangibles: leadership, grit, unyielding determination etc. I don't see those things out of Cam. IMO Cam=Vince Young. and not the good vince young, I am talking about the one who snapped under the pressure.

Last edited:

Nightwing

World's Greatest
Cam has so much to develop before he is going to be a successful QB in the NFL. I honestly was not blown away by his passing ability this past year, and if he runs like he did in college, he is going to get snapped in half.

Personally, I would like to see him be a bit more humble and mature. He has stated himself that he sees himself as an icon.

The look on his face when he got snubbed for every kind of football award at the ESPYs was priceless, he looked like he was holding back tears. Of course the voters probably still have a hard time getting over the allegations he had at Auburn.

In my bias opinion, Tebow is going to have a longer career than cam. Yeah Tebow has many of the same issues cam does with his play on the field, but what Tebow has that cam doesn't is the intangibles: leadership, grit, unyielding determination etc. I don't see those things out of Cam. IMO Cam=Vince Young. and not the good vince young, I am talking about the one who snapped under the pressure.

You're titled to your opinion but that's not what I see in Cam. I see more of a Michael Vick than a Vince Young. But, you are right about him having a long way to go in order to become a successful NFL QB. You also said that Cam doesn't have the type of intangibles Tebow has? Are you kidding me? Cam been doing the right things ever since he was drafted by the Panthers. I believe he has those intangibles. I've been to one of the Panthers training camp and everyone that was there started to praise him but again he's still a working progress. So yeah, only time will tell.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Tebow does have the advantage of not being a one-year wonder. Not only that, but Cam hasn't had nearly enough time with coaches to make an impact this season because of the lockout. I'm predicting that JClau will start at the beginning (funny how he was their QB of the future this time last year. Trading down for more picks would have been better for Carolina).

Also from a physical standpoint Cam looks more like VY than Vick.

BTW@kazekage I'm pretty sure your predictions add up to more wins than losses. You have 3/4 of the NFL at 8-8 or better

Nightwing

World's Greatest
I think it's pretty unfair that you would think Tebow has the advantage of Cam. Tebow already played a season in the NFL and Cam didn't.

Tebow does have the advantage of not being a one-year wonder. Not only that, but Cam hasn't had nearly enough time with coaches to make an impact this season because of the lockout. I'm predicting that JClau will start at the beginning (funny how he was their QB of the future this time last year. Trading down for more picks would have been better for Carolina).

Also from a physical standpoint Cam looks more like VY than Vick.

BTW@kazekage I'm pretty sure your predictions add up to more wins than losses. You have 3/4 of the NFL at 8-8 or better

We needed a backup QB after we let Jake go. Matt Moore was planned on being the starter after having a breakout season two seasons ago.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I think it's pretty unfair that you would think Tebow has the advantage of Cam. Tebow already played a season in the NFL and Cam didn't.

We needed a backup QB after we let Jake go. Matt Moore was planned on being the starter after having a breakout season two seasons ago.

No, it's perfectly reasonable to pick the guy who you know can play over someone who has yet to play in an NFL game. And NFL teams that just want a backup QB don't draft them in the 2nd round. They clearly expected Jimmy to eventually be a starter.

Nightwing

World's Greatest
No, it's perfectly reasonable to pick the guy who you know can play over someone who has yet to play in an NFL game.

Sorry, but I just don't see how it's reasonable. The only advantage Tebow has of Cam is that he played a season in the NFL and Cam didn't. That's it. Until we see Cam play in the NFL then we will see the advantage of those two.

And NFL teams that just want a backup QB don't draft them in the 2nd round. They clearly expected Jimmy to eventually be a starter.

Matt Moore was planned to start over Jimmy after his breakout season as I said but after he failed as the starting QB, Jimmy was awarded the starting job which he didn't do that well himself causing the Panthers to switch between Jimmy and Matt at the QB position mostly every game they played.

But anyway, I'm praying to God that Cam will an elite QB and prove those haters wrong. ;373;

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Sorry, but I just don't see how it's reasonable. The only advantage Tebow has of Cam is that he played a season in the NFL and Cam didn't. That's it. Until we see Cam play in the NFL then we will see the advantage of those two.QUOTE]

I don't know. Cam has come off as a "me first" kind of guy in his college career. not the brightest guy either. Got kicked off Florida for theft of a laptop. Also remember that Cam was never able to beat out Tebow for the starting job at Florida

We will see in a couple of years, but I think cam's off the field issues will catch up with him eventually and he will end up like Vince Young. and mark my words, the investigation into Auburn's alleged buying of Cam Newtwon is not over. This will be a reggie bush kind of deal where he is stripped of his college accomplishments a few years down the road. Being a guy that seems to like to be in the spotlight, I don't think he will handle having his heisman stripped very well.

You don't want a rookie that sees himself as an "icon" before he ever steps on the field. If I had a choice between him and Josh Freeman on the bucs...I would take Josh Freeman and not give Newton a second look. I don't want my QB to feel entitled.

Last edited:

Nightwing

World's Greatest
Sorry, but I just don't see how it's reasonable. The only advantage Tebow has of Cam is that he played a season in the NFL and Cam didn't. That's it. Until we see Cam play in the NFL then we will see the advantage of those two.

I don't know. Cam has come off as a "me first" kind of guy in his college career. not the brightest guy either. Got kicked off Florida for theft of a laptop. Also remember that Cam was never able to beat out Tebow for the starting job at Florida

We will see in a couple of years, but I think cam's off the field issues will catch up with him eventually and he will end up like Vince Young.

I don't think his off the field issues will affect his game play. Most NFL stars had off the field issues when they got in and most of them have/had a Hall of Fame career.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
It's perfectly reasonable way to evaluate players if you have to pay the guy's contract and your franchise rests on his shoulders. I'm not saying Cam sucks but he's an unproven commodity and a one-year wonder, a risky bet. Jimmy was the first pick by Carolina; they definitely saw him as a QB of the future. It was a pretty good QB class, and he was projected to be one of the more promising picks with the right development. And they picked Tony Pike later, now that's a backup QB pick. And then you're blessed/cursed with the #1 pick, and you draft another QB?

Maybe it's just another sign of the ineptitude of the Carolina management.

PsychicPsycho

Oh come on Psycho, you don't like Rex Ryan's foot fetishes? :p
Well, honestly, I actually feel bad for him that that got out. Seems like it would be pretty embarassing. Although from what I've seen of his personality, he may not have cared at all. But I'm sick of hearing people mention it on TV, and basically sick of hearing about him shooting his mouth off all the time. I'm a fairly quiet person though, which may be why all his talking bothers me more then it does other people.
He has a winning record against the Patriots so it's not all bad. Plus, he's probably just talking smack like that since if no other teams beat the Patriots, the Jets will never win the AFC East. Last year for example, the Patriots went 14-2 and they were only beaten by the Jets and the Browns. The Jets aren't going to go 15-1 in the regular season and everyone knows that.
I know they beat twice (and once in the playoffs), but the way he said that was like he owned them. And saying that sort of shows his teams flaws; if other teams have to beat the Patriots, it implies the Jets couldn't win enough of their other games.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a hater...
IMO Cam=Vince Young.
I assume you mean it they walked onto the field right now they'd be equal, and not that Newton will have the same career path as Young. While I can't promise that won't occur, I haven't seen anything from Newton in the NFL so far, so I won't bury him yet.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Well, honestly, I actually feel bad for him that that got out. Seems like it would be pretty embarassing. Although from what I've seen of his personality, he may not have cared at all. But I'm sick of hearing people mention it on TV, and basically sick of hearing about him shooting his mouth off all the time. I'm a fairly quiet person though, which may be why all his talking bothers me more then it does other people.
I know they beat twice (and once in the playoffs), but the way he said that was like he owned them. And saying that sort of shows his teams flaws; if other teams have to beat the Patriots, it implies the Jets couldn't win enough of their other games.

I assume you mean it they walked onto the field right now they'd be equal, and not that Newton will have the same career path as Young. While I can't promise that won't occur, I haven't seen anything from Newton in the NFL so far, so I won't bury him yet.

I meant that I think that cam won't be able to handle the pressure of the NFL, like Vince wasn't able to. Cam has not handled being booed by his own fans before.

Vernikova

Champion

He owns them when it counts it seems.

As for Cam, I expect him to struggle simply because of the shortened pre-season. Nothing much I have to say about him.

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
The only way I see that being a big deal is if they use him a in a double quarterback formation. It might work, but it seems like I hear people suggesting that in other places and it never happens.

Monkey902 said:
I'm an Eagles fan too, but I don't see a big deal in signing Vince Young either. He may have some effect, but I don't see him being a key player. The Eagles did get a lot of good players though.

I didn't make a big deal out of it. I said it because it is a notable acquisition......on the offense, while that one post was talking about the defensive acquisitions. The Young signing is more of a "oh, cool.........why?" signing. But I guess its good to have an extra piece.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
How do people think the western teams will do (both conferences). I'd say last year both weren't as strong.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
A lot of people are saying Cam Newton won't do well in the NFL, and I slightly agree. He didn't meet with any of the coaches yet, so I don't think he'll be as good as he was in college.

Btw PKMN Trainer Rex, you're real funny.