• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread

The funny thing is if he admitted it when it happened it would only have been a 25k fine, and if he admitted he did it after it would have been 1-2 games. But he decided to be stubborn and fall on his sword.

The ESPN legal analysts say Brady won't have much chance in court because of the destroyed phone.

He didn't have a good chance in the first place. The NFL has much better legal representation and quite honestly, a case that favored them from the start. The labor law issue regarding the procedural fairness of how the NFL handles player incidents is quite intriguing though regardless.

Navin

MALDREAD
The funny thing is if he admitted it when it happened it would only have been a 25k fine, and if he admitted he did it after it would have been 1-2 games. But he decided to be stubborn and fall on his sword.

The ESPN legal analysts say Brady won't have much chance in court because of the destroyed phone.

Well, he wanted to maintain his public image. If he admits guilt, people will use this incident (and overblow it) + Spygate and claim that Brady has always been a cheater who didn't deserve those titles, even if that argument is ridiculous.

The best way for him to approach it is to keep playing the denial game, and then just accept the punishment as smoothly as possible. Then make a real statement on the field once he gets back from the suspension. That is of course if he knows he's guilty.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I wonder what things would be like if this situation was the other way around, and the Colts were being accused of cheating. Put Andrew Luck in Tom Bradys position. I bet all of you all nobody would be making a big deal about it. Everyone just hates Tom Brady and the Patriots. Even before spygate a lot of people hated Tom Brady and the Patriots.

I'm sure this comment will attract butt hurt haters just like it did on Facebook.....

Last edited:

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I wonder what things would be like if this situation was the other way around, and the Colts were being accused of cheating. Put Andrew Luck in Tom Bradys position. I bet all of you all nobody would be making a big deal about it. Everyone just hates Tom Brady and the Patriots. Even before spygate a lot of people hated Tom Brady and the Patriots.

That is ridiculous. People hate the Patriots because they have cheated. I have lost massive amounts of respect for some of my childhood sports heroes for cheating. Cheating is cheating, lying is lying, he's getting what he deserves.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
That is ridiculous. People hate the Patriots because they have cheated. I have lost massive amounts of respect for some of my childhood sports heroes for cheating. Cheating is cheating, lying is lying, he's getting what he deserves.

It's not ridiculous. It's called my opinion. I'm sick and damn tired of people thinking their opinion is the only one that matters. Trust me, if this was the Colts cheating nobody would bat an eye. Oh, and before someone on here accuses me of being a Patriots fan like the morons on Facebook, I'm a Lions fan. Always have been.

Alright I admit it. What I said isn't true about nobody batting an eye. I'm sure people would notice if the Colts cheated, but I can guarandamntee you that there wouldn't be a witch hunt going on.

Also, since you like to talk about people "getting what they deserve" how is Le'Veon Bell getting what he deserves? He was driving drunk and could have killed someone. Roger Goodell reduced his suspension...How is that right? Driving drunk and killing someone is a big deal.....

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
CLLIwqxWEAEJe-O.jpg

Well Brady screwed over the NFLPA, because they just lost a big asset.

Also people are mad because this is like the 5th time they've been caught cheating since 2000.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Brady destroying his cell phone doesn't help him at all I must admit. All that aside though, Roger Goodell isn't a great commissioner. A lot of the decisions he makes are boneheaded when it comes to suspensions.

That's just what I think, though.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Whatever, once Brady returns from suspension and leads the Patriots to another postseason and respectable playoff place, everyone will forget about this Deflategate.

Everyone will still hate on the Patriots no matter what....Even if the Patriots have never "cheated" people would still hate on them. Winners always have a pack of haters standing behind them.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I think it's more that every year the Patriots have won a Super Bowl they've had a cheating scandal relate to it. Most of the other years was about how they had the weakest division in football.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
It's not ridiculous. It's called my opinion. I'm sick and damn tired of people thinking their opinion is the only one that matters. Trust me, if this was the Colts cheating nobody would bat an eye. Oh, and before someone on here accuses me of being a Patriots fan like the morons on Facebook, I'm a Lions fan. Always have been.

Alright I admit it. What I said isn't true about nobody batting an eye. I'm sure people would notice if the Colts cheated, but I can guarandamntee you that there wouldn't be a witch hunt going on.

Also, since you like to talk about people "getting what they deserve" how is Le'Veon Bell getting what he deserves? He was driving drunk and could have killed someone. Roger Goodell reduced his suspension...How is that right? Driving drunk and killing someone is a big deal.....

First of all, what you're stating is not an opinion. It's a highly presumptuous hypothetical situation in which you are trying to assume the outcome of because of your personal feelings of a person. Even saying "I don't think he did it" isn't a valid opinion. Either he did or he didn't do it.
If Luck did it and denied it and destroyed his cell phone to hide evidence, than there very much would be a witch hunt going on for him. He would lose credibility and would be in the same boat. Anyone would be.
Your Le'veon Bell analogy is not the same thing at all. Tom Brady violated the rules where only the NFL has jurisdiction. It's a job and a game. Do you tell your friend he can't play Jenga with you because he has a DUI? Would you fire your hardest worker for potentially committing domestic violence? These are criminal matters that Goodell should have NO say over. I wholeheartedly believe these men should be allowed to continue playing with no consequence as long as they aren't violating the rules of the game (like Brady most likely did). They will get their punishment in due course.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
First of all, what you're stating is not an opinion. It's a highly presumptuous hypothetical situation in which you are trying to assume the outcome of because of your personal feelings of a person. Even saying "I don't think he did it" isn't a valid opinion. Either he did or he didn't do it.

Alright, you got me there. True. What I said really isn't considered an "opinion."

You might think it's ok for these players to play as long as they "aren't" breaking the rules of the game, and that's your opinion. Well, I don't think it's ok, and that's my opinion. Deal with it. Not everyones going to agree with you dude. ;)

Roger Goodell isn't the law, but he can still give these players steep suspensions for doing stupid **** like driving drunk.

I actually know people that have been killed by drunk drivers. Drunk driving isn't a game. Even though the justice system handles those situations, Roger Goodell should still hand out steeper suspensions to players who beat their wives and drive drunk. Just my opinion.

As far as Brady goes, he should just admit to what he did. Having his cell phone destroyed doesn't help his cause. I'm so sick and damn tired of hearing about this deflategate crap. If ESPN isn't on the topic of Lebron James, they are on the topic of deflategate.

I'm just ready for all of this crap to come to an end.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Alright, you got me there. True. What I said really isn't considered an "opinion."

You might think it's ok for these players to play as long as they "aren't" breaking the rules of the game, and that's your opinion. Well, I don't think it's ok, and that's my opinion. Deal with it. Not everyones going to agree with you dude. ;)

Roger Goodell isn't the law, but he can still give these players steep suspensions for doing stupid **** like driving drunk.

I actually know people that have been killed by drunk drivers. Drunk driving isn't a game. Even though the justice system handles those situations, Roger Goodell should still hand out steeper suspensions to players who beat their wives and drive drunk. Just my opinion.

As far as Brady goes, he should just admit to what he did. Having his cell phone destroyed doesn't help his cause. I'm so sick and damn tired of hearing about this deflategate crap. If ESPN isn't on the topic of Lebron James, they are on the topic of deflategate.

I'm just ready for all of this crap to come to an end.

I'm not saying everyone does have to agree with me, but you brought up an irrelevant player and his irrelevant crime, so I figured I'd inform you that NFL players are just like you and me with bigger paychecks. My point is that the league should have no say whatsoever in the matters because it's none of their business or our business what happens in regards to criminal activity. Especially when players are being suspended before even being actually charged with the crime. You can go around demanding that everyone who drives drunk deserves to be fired from their job and shunned by society, but it's none of your business. It's the business of the law. If the court says he has to go to jail or has to pay a fine or he has to take time off the field to appear in court, that's up to the court. Not some guys in a board meeting who control a multi-billion dollar industry around a game.
Again, this is unlike Brady because he broke a rule set by the league. So the league should hold the right to punish him.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Man I'm so stoked for college football season. I don't think I'll be going to any Michigan games this year, though. Tickets for every game are selling like hotcakes.

celestial phantom

To be honest, the league should and probably does have some formal right to punish off the field activity to their players. I mean while we shouldn't chastise them for a personal mistake once, the league can probably mandate say some kind of Drive Safety or AA type thing for any received DUI or something similar if Courts don't mandate them and any further convictions or arrests for it can be met with suspensions. These guys are getting literally paid millions to play a game albeit with their bodies on the line, but with contract incensed bonuses for playing games, and not actually doing something about any poor behavior would be dumb. While I wouldn't witch hunt for like one off DUI or something, I wouldn't mind them actually stepping up and giving slightly more than a 1 game suspension for stuff like this, that they tend to do, especially since this is stuff that is considerably detrimental to the NFL's image as well as conduct policy. I mean if any player does get arrested, that should bypass most potential qualms about a suspension, but if they are off with just paying a fine or something, or just a warning, they should be able to be met with some other in consequence from the league if they deem it worthy or needed (suspension), or if a team decided to release them. I mean it is work for these guys, and regardless of it being lawful matter, bosses can still opt to suspend or terminate people for arrests, convictions, or charges if out on bail. I know several friends that have gotten DUIs and after dealing with it their bosses opted to fire them for it as a lesson, you don't get to do whatever and expect to keep what you have. NFL players are no different.

Anyway, we're about little more than a week from the start of preseason and then we have some NFL time again. I can't wait for the new league year to start up in a month. Won't lie I'm a little bit eager since the weekend right before we start I have a fantasy league set up and draft then, and then I'm going to spend the whole season torn like usual. Cheering for players on my team, being torn between favorite players and teams I want to see win, and torn between cheering on players on my fantasy teams while having to cheer for the whole teams they might face if they are my favorite or one of a favorite I like to watch. So, we're gonna be close to weekly fanboy time.

As for college football, I never really do get into it so much, but having weekly Nebraska games will be awesome again. Especially because it means I get to see two friends of mine playing again, which is always a fun thing to watch. Sadly I never have money for tickets, and to be honest, it's pretty hard to get your hands on them sometimes here, everyone loves a good home Nebraska game.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I was at the Michigan/Nebraska game during the 2013 season. It was a great game to be at, just wish Michigan had won. The game definitely had us all on the edge of our seats. I was very impressed with the turnout. TONS of Nebraska fans showed up to the Big House that day. They all seemed like good folks to talk to. I definitely have respect for the Nebraska fanbase they are as loyal as they come.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
I am currently a student at K-State, and I love going to the football games. It's just fun to see how Bill Snyder turns a team full of walk-ons and 2 star recruits into a team that wins consistently. It just blows my mind. I don't know if there are any other coaches that can do what he does.

Navin

MALDREAD
I was at the Michigan/Nebraska game during the 2013 season. It was a great game to be at, just wish Michigan had won. The game definitely had us all on the edge of our seats. I was very impressed with the turnout. TONS of Nebraska fans showed up to the Big House that day. They all seemed like good folks to talk to. I definitely have respect for the Nebraska fanbase they are as loyal as they come.

Not much to look forward to in Nebraska other than football and corn.

I remember that game being awful - should have won.

Oh yeah, I met Jim Harbaugh a couple of days ago. Spoke to him briefly, and wished him luck on the season ahead.

I am currently a student at K-State, and I love going to the football games. It's just fun to see how Bill Snyder turns a team full of walk-ons and 2 star recruits into a team that wins consistently. It just blows my mind. I don't know if there are any other coaches that can do what he does.

Plenty of coaches do that. Dantonio did that for MSU until he started getting top recruits once program became a contender. Beilein did that for Michigan's basketball team.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Plenty of coaches do that. Dantonio did that for MSU until he started getting top recruits once program became a contender. Beilein did that for Michigan's basketball team.

But the thing is that Snyder has never had a huge recruit. He has prefered and continues to prefer team players over any huge recruit. As you said, "until they became contenders". Snyder always has a team that can contend in a good conference, and he never gets big recruits.

But the thing is that Snyder has never had a huge recruit. He has prefered and continues to prefer team players over any huge recruit. As you said, "until they became contenders". Snyder always has a team that can contend in a good conference, and he never gets big recruits.

To name a few, Darren Sproles, Jordy Nelson, Terence Newman, Martin Gramatica were all 4+ star huge recruits in their respective positions. Bill Snyder has had a plethora of big name recruits over his time in Kansas St., even if his teams aren't dominated by 4-5 star players.