• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread

VS

they/she
This and also Who Dat.

Saints schedule looks easy.

Yeah, i was discussing that earlier with some buddies. I actually think that the hardest games this season are home games. Hardest ones in my opinion are when GB and SF come to town, and when we have to go to Carolina. If the Saints would play like the team they should be, i could see them going as high as 14-2 this year, although a 11-5/12-6 season is probably more reasonable.

VS

they/she
Yeah, i was discussing that earlier with some buddies. I actually think that the hardest games this season are home games. Hardest ones in my opinion are when GB and SF come to town, and when we have to go to Carolina. If the Saints would play like the team they should be, i could see them going as high as 14-2 this year, although a 11-5/12-6 season is probably more reasonable.
I see 14-2 as well, but I am extremely optimistic.

HoboJak

Unbroken
Everyone else is doing it, so might as well.... Bears schedule is pretty mixed; a few really bad teams, a few really good teams - a lot of average ones.

Week 1 VS Bills - W
Week 2 @ 49ers - L
Week 3 @ Jets - W
Week 4 VS Packers - W
Week 5 @ Panthers - L
Week 6 @ Falcons - W
Week 7 VS Dolphins - W
Week 8 @ Pats - W
Week 9 Bye
Week 10 @ Packers- L
Week 11 VS Vikes - W
Week 12 VS Bucs - W
Week 13 @ Lions L
Week 14 VS Cowboys - W
Week 15 VS Saints - W/L - This one could go either way, really. I think our defense will be good enough they won't run all over us, and outside in the cold I'm not sure how well their passing game will hold up. Still not willing to write them off.
Week 16 VS Lions - W
Week 17 @ Vikes - W

So it looks like I put us at 12-4, 11-5.... we'll see.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Eh, I think I'll reorganize my predictions so I can elaborate further.

Week 1: Vs. Giants - W
Week 2: @ Panthers - W/L - Leaning toward a loss here, but I could see the Lions winning this one. The Panthers don't have a receiving game right now, Cam Newton is coming off surgery, and it's early enough in the season where they won't have had time to gel.
Week 3: Vs. Packers - W
Week 4: @ Jets - W
Week 5: Vs. Bills - W
Week 6: @ Vikings - W - Thank God they don't get the Vikings in the last two weeks from Hell. If they did, this one would be a loss
Week 7: Vs. Saints - L - Could see the Leos winning since they are at home, but I'm not drinking the blue Kool-Aid that much
Week 8: @ Falcons (London) - W
BYE
Week 9: Vs. Dolphins - W
Week 10: @ Cardinals - L - No matter how good the Lions and/or how bad the Cardinals are, the Lions don't win in Arizona. They just don't. This would be a win if it was in Detroit, though.
Week 11: @ Pats - L
Week 12: Vs. Bears (Turkey Day) - W
Week 13: Vs. Bucs - W
Week 14: Vs. Vikings - W
Week 15: @ Bears - L - I hate the schedule makers SO MUCH for this last two weeks from Hell
Week 16: @ Packers - L - See above + the Lions just don't win at Lambeau.

So that's a 10-6, 11-5 prediction from me, but because they're the Lions, they'll lose a game they should win at some point.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Eh, I think I'll reorganize my predictions so I can elaborate further.

Week 1: Vs. Giants - W
Week 2: @ Panthers - W/L - Leaning toward a loss here, but I could see the Lions winning this one. The Panthers don't have a receiving game right now, Cam Newton is coming off surgery, and it's early enough in the season where they won't have had time to gel.
Week 3: Vs. Packers - W
Week 4: @ Jets - W
Week 5: Vs. Bills - W
Week 6: @ Vikings - W - Thank God they don't get the Vikings in the last two weeks from Hell. If they did, this one would be a loss
Week 7: Vs. Saints - L - Could see the Leos winning since they are at home, but I'm not drinking the blue Kool-Aid that much
Week 8: @ Falcons (London) - W
BYE
Week 9: Vs. Dolphins - W
Week 10: @ Cardinals - L - No matter how good the Lions and/or how bad the Cardinals are, the Lions don't win in Arizona. They just don't. This would be a win if it was in Detroit, though.
Week 11: @ Pats - L
Week 12: Vs. Bears (Turkey Day) - W
Week 13: Vs. Bucs - W
Week 14: Vs. Vikings - W
Week 15: @ Bears - L - I hate the schedule makers SO MUCH for this last two weeks from Hell
Week 16: @ Packers - L - See above + the Lions just don't win at Lambeau.

So that's a 10-6, 11-5 prediction from me, but because they're the Lions, they'll lose a game they should win at some point.

Yeah, I'm still leaning towards either a 6-10 or 12-4 record with the lions depending on what happens with their divisional games. Cutler's going into his sixth year as chicago's QB and could easily be replaced at season's end should management think that average isn't good enough. In addition, their entire division is absent of defensive power right now, making those games easier to win. If they can take advantage of that and their relatively easy schedule, they could easily walk into the playoffs. If they can't, we could easily see them finishing five games ahead of what I think will be a 1-15 minny team this year.

Teams that are hurt the most by the new schedules:
Kansas City: Instead of the NFC least, this year KC's NFC division they play is the NFC West which is practically the best division in the NFC and the NFL at the moment.
Bears: Pretty much the same as KC, but they get the NFC South. They also have to travel to play the Patriots.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
The Bears schedule is barely different from ours (just they get the Niners instead of the Cardinals and the Cowboys instead of the Giants, though that barely makes a difference), and the NFC North is a pretty weak division. They are not hurt by their schedule in the slightest.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
The main reason the Packers' record was what it was last season is because A-Rod was gone for half the season. I'm expecting a better record next season, provided A-Rod stays healthy, but in no way am I expecting them to beat Seattle. Since they are playing IN Seattle, that's pretty much a guaranteed loss (Arizona got lucky last year). On the other hand, we don't have the 49ers this year in the regular season, and with any luck we won't see them in the postseason.

As for the Browns, it all depends if they are able to get a good quarterback in the draft. I'm hoping they select Manziel, I like him very much and he would be perfect for Cleveland. I can't tell you how bad the Browns have had it since letting Big Ben slip to the Steelers 10 years ago. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake this year. Big Ben's presence on the Steelers is also the very thing that kept Peyton Manning from signing with Cleveland (he's too chicken to play in the same division as Big Ben).

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
On the other hand, we don't have the 49ers this year in the regular season, and with any luck we won't see them in the postseason.
The Packers have to win the division first.

Also, please don't refer to Aaron Rodgers as A-Rod. When you said that, I thought you meant the OTHER A-Rod, and I was like "What does he have to do with the Packers?" xD

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Well, I've seen other people call Rodgers A-Rod. I'll just call him Rodgers from here on out.

Anyway, as long as he stays healthy we might have a good shot at returning to the NFL summit.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Well, I've seen other people call Rodgers A-Rod. I'll just call him Rodgers from here on out.

Anyway, as long as he stays healthy we might have a good shot at returning to the NFL summit.

...assuming they can get past Detroit/Chicago. Don't get me wrong, by no means is "a-rod" a bad player. However, by no means is he Brady. Last season the packers had one of the worst defenses last season (ranking 25th in total yards allowed per game, and tied for 24th in total points allowed per game). In the off-season, they did little to shore that up aside from signing Julius Peppers, a guy whose pushing 35 and has been dropping off over the past few years. Combine that with their daunting schedule that has them face Seattle at home (loss), the jets (heavily improved, could easily be a win or a loss), and the Panthers/Saints (two polar opposite teams who rely on pure defense and pure offense respectively) and at best they'll be 5-3 before their Bye. They could easily be an 11-5 team this year if they used the latter half of their schedule to their advantage. On the other hand, this could easily turn into a whole Dallas situation in which a team is held out of the playoffs by one side of the ball (and/or an amazingly good haircut).

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Yeah, I'm still leaning towards either a 6-10 or 12-4 record with the lions depending on what happens with their divisional games. Cutler's going into his sixth year as chicago's QB and could easily be replaced at season's end should management think that average isn't good enough. In addition, their entire division is absent of defensive power right now, making those games easier to win. If they can take advantage of that and their relatively easy schedule, they could easily walk into the playoffs. If they can't, we could easily see them finishing five games ahead of what I think will be a 1-15 minny team this year.

Really? I kinda think his new 7-year, $126 million contract begs to differ. Unless you're talking a trade, but even then, the contract makes it hard to get fair value back for a QB like Cutler.

Teams that are hurt the most by the new schedules:
Kansas City: Instead of the NFC least, this year KC's NFC division they play is the NFC West which is practically the best division in the NFC and the NFL at the moment.
Bears: Pretty much the same as KC, but they get the NFC South. They also have to travel to play the Patriots.

Maybe I'm just being a whiny homer, but I think the Broncos' schedule blows. Week 4 BYE, all of the hard games concentrated to the front of the schedule (Colts, Seahawks, 49ers, Patriots), traveling to both Seattle and Foxborough (in November), and ending with a bunch of road games against what should be the weaker half of the schedule leading into the playoffs.

Of course, I can't complain too much because they're obviously going to go 19-0 anywho. >_>

...assuming they can get past Detroit/Chicago. Don't get me wrong, by no means is "a-rod" a bad player. However, by no means is he Brady.

What does that mean? That Brady is just in a whole other stratosphere than Aaron Rodgers? That's ludicrous.

Anyway, since the draft is ~2 weeks away, what prospects are you guys looking at for your teams?
I think most of you here follow college football a lot more than I and so know more firsthand about the prospects, while I'm relegated to looking up test numbers and scouting reports (and maybe some highlights/games, if I'm really interested in somebody). But since the Broncos, by my estimation, have almost no holes where a draft pick will just come in and start, I haven't really focused too much on any particular positions. I've really just sort of scattershotted and found a bunch of individuals who I like at various positions throughout all of the rounds. The one exception to this is Chris Borland, who is really the one guy I want them to pick, however early they need to to get him. I think he could walk in and up the defense immediately, and no matter where I look, I can't find a linebacker I like as much.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Anyway, since the draft is ~2 weeks away, what prospects are you guys looking at for your teams?
I think most of you here follow college football a lot more than I and so know more firsthand about the prospects, while I'm relegated to looking up test numbers and scouting reports (and maybe some highlights/games, if I'm really interested in somebody). But since the Broncos, by my estimation, have almost no holes where a draft pick will just come in and start, I haven't really focused too much on any particular positions. I've really just sort of scattershotted and found a bunch of individuals who I like at various positions throughout all of the rounds. The one exception to this is Chris Borland, who is really the one guy I want them to pick, however early they need to to get him. I think he could walk in and up the defense immediately, and no matter where I look, I can't find a linebacker I like as much.
Apparently, according to ESPN and media of the like, the Cowboys would be a plausible fit for Johnny Manziel. I pray to God this doesn't happen. He was gimmicky in college and has horrific throwing mechanics. People compare his playing style to Romo's (the only similarity I can see is they scramble often) but that's pretty much it. Romo seems much more intelligent and actually has self control, and actually has leadership skills.
Being a native Texan, there was a lot of talk about when he came out of high school. There was a big reason Texas and Oregon passed up on him (not just his height) but he was a little entitled ****, and still is. Unless he fixes his attitude (which doesn't seem likely at all) I don't see him becoming a stellar QB in the NFL. I don't think he'll be a Ryan Leaf level bust, but he surely won't be a Troy Aikman.

Hoping the Cowboys pick up some Defensive Linemen. They are in dire need of them. Spencer just got resigned about an hour ago but that's not gonna be enough with the loss of Hatcher (who left to go to a system in Washington he does not excel in) and Ware. Drafting anyone would help at this point.

Last edited:

HoboJak

Unbroken
I think most of you here follow college football a lot more than I and so know more firsthand about the prospects, while I'm relegated to looking up test numbers and scouting reports (and maybe some highlights/games, if I'm really interested in somebody).

I really don't pay any attention to college football beyond checking on some of the prospects coming out of the draft every now and again, look up videos on the players that I can when I have time, etc. Aaron Donald (DT out of Pitt) is easily my favorite player the Bears have a realistic shot at and if he makes it to #14 I would be ecstatic. Very quick, strong, and his technique is great. Only real knock on him is he's slightly undersized, but he has long arms for his height, so that doesn't worry me at all. If not for that little knock on him and the fact he isn't a great scheme fit for most teams in the top half of the draft, I honestly think he'd be a top five pick for sure.

Past him a lot of people are high on HaHa Clinton-Dix (Safety), Calvin Pryor (Safety), Ra'Shede Hageman (DT), but they all seem pretty 'meh' to me. Not necessarily bad players, but they don't really seem like anything special. I'll also toss in Eric Ebron, TE, is a very good prospect. Don't expect the Bears to draft a tight end that high up in the draft, but I really couldn't be mad if they drafted someone like him.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Apparently, according to ESPN and media of the like, the Cowboys would be a plausible fit for Johnny Manziel. I pray to God this doesn't happen. He was gimmicky in college and has horrific throwing mechanics. People compare his playing style to Romo's (the only similarity I can see is they scramble often) but that's pretty much it. Romo seems much more intelligent and actually has self control, and actually has leadership skills.

Hoping the Cowboys pick up some Defensive Linemen. They are in dire need of them. Spencer just got resigned about an hour ago but that's not gonna be enough with the loss of Hatcher (who left to go to a system in Washington he does not excel in) and Ware. Drafting anyone would help at this point.

Hm, I don't think I've seen much that says Manziel to Cowboys. I don't see it, either -- not least of all because Romo just signed a 6-year extension. I've heard that Manziel's leadership and other on-field qualities are underrated, but I still don't see a team with an established QB drafting him. That'd just be pointless. What I have seen a lot of is him being drafted by the Browns, but I don't see that, either, unless he's still available at #26. But I dunno, he's not a prospect I really care about. I've only been looking at a few late-round QB prospects (favorite of which is Brett Smith).

Yeah, I also thought it was funny that Hatcher had by far his best season as a 3-tech in a 4-3 Tampa-2 scheme, and is immediately signed to a big money deal to go right back to a 3-4. Well, that's the Redskins' issue now. I saw that Spencer is returning from microfracture surgery, which is pretty serious and has somewhat iffy recovery. So it seems like the Cowboys need both interior and edge help along the line, but I don't like the value on any rushers who'd still be there in the middle of the first (except possibly Dee Ford -- I dunno, I don't personally like him that much, and I like Kony Ealy even less). Aaron Donald is also probably gone by then, and Nix seems best-suited for a 3-4 NT. In the first, that would presumably leave Timmy Jernigan and possibly Ra'Shede Hageman (who I wouldn't take in the first, since he's as likely to bust as any non-QB is this draft besides Kelvin Benjamin). Jernigan seems like a good prospect and potential choice, but I always worry about those guys who really just have one good year. The Broncos had somebody similar in Robert Ayers, from 2009, who was never terrible, but was an awful return on pick #18. Then again, Jernigan is a Junior, and Ayers was a redshirt Senior, so I guess it's not quite the same.

Anyway, beyond the first, my favorite defensive linemen are probably Dominique Easley and Will Sutton. Easpecially Easley! If he stops tearing knee ligaments in his NFL career, he'll probably be the best DT out of this draft. Both are more of the 4-3 3-tech penetrating/pass-rushing types, like Donald, though. I honestly haven't found too many DEs I like anywhere in the draft (although Jeremiah Attaochu seems like a very good prospect as a rusher, similar to Khalil Mack, I'm not sure how much he'd have to offer as an all-around 4-3 DE).

I really don't pay any attention to college football beyond checking on some of the prospects coming out of the draft every now and again, look up videos on the players that I can when I have time, etc. Aaron Donald (DT out of Pitt) is easily my favorite player the Bears have a realistic shot at and if he makes it to #14 I would be ecstatic. Very quick, strong, and his technique is great. Only real knock on him is he's slightly undersized, but he has long arms for his height, so that doesn't worry me at all. If not for that little knock on him and the fact he isn't a great scheme fit for most teams in the top half of the draft, I honestly think he'd be a top five pick for sure.

Past him a lot of people are high on HaHa Clinton-Dix (Safety), Calvin Pryor (Safety), Ra'Shede Hageman (DT), but they all seem pretty 'meh' to me. Not necessarily bad players, but they don't really seem like anything special. I'll also toss in Eric Ebron, TE, is a very good prospect. Don't expect the Bears to draft a tight end that high up in the draft, but I really couldn't be mad if they drafted someone like him.

I only watched a couple college games throughout the season, but New Mexico @ Pittsburgh was one of them. Aaron Donald certainly had a huge impact on that game, but at the time, I chalked that up to New Mexico not having any NFL talent rather than Donald being that good of a player. I still think he's a bit overrated, since he doesn't really have the versatility to do much outside of single-gap 3-tech type of stuff (plus the fact that his pre-draft work was what elevated him into early 1st round discussion, not just his play). Granted, last I checked, Chicago is exactly that type of system, and is probably as late as he could possibly go (considering he'd also work well in several defenses picking from #6 to #13).

While I did just say that Hageman could easily be a huge bust, there's no getting around the fact that he has the potential to be dominant anywhere along any D-line. I certainly wouldn't take him at #14 if I were the Bears, but if they trade back in the first or he's still there in the second, I'd definitely consider it. Yeah, I don't like either of those safeties that much, either. Of course, I didn't like Eric Reid last year, either, but I seem to have been hugely wrong about that. Anywho, my favorites high in the draft would have to be Jimmie Ward and - especially - Deone Bucannon. I think they'll both be second round picks (Ward maybe late 1st), but I'd take either of them over HaHa and Pryor.

I have barely looked at TEs since, imo, Denver would barely be able to keep a rookie one on their roster (and if anything, they need a blocking TE more than a receiving TE, but nobody cares about those), but I consistently hear great things about Ebron. Can't be mad about your team drafting for talent > need, especially in the first.

HoboJak

Unbroken
I only watched a couple college games throughout the season, but New Mexico @ Pittsburgh was one of them. Aaron Donald certainly had a huge impact on that game, but at the time, I chalked that up to New Mexico not having any NFL talent rather than Donald being that good of a player. I still think he's a bit overrated, since he doesn't really have the versatility to do much outside of single-gap 3-tech type of stuff (plus the fact that his pre-draft work was what elevated him into early 1st round discussion, not just his play). Granted, last I checked, Chicago is exactly that type of system, and is probably as late as he could possibly go (considering he'd also work well in several defenses picking from #6 to #13).

While I did just say that Hageman could easily be a huge bust, there's no getting around the fact that he has the potential to be dominant anywhere along any D-line. I certainly wouldn't take him at #14 if I were the Bears, but if they trade back in the first or he's still there in the second, I'd definitely consider it. Yeah, I don't like either of those safeties that much, either. Of course, I didn't like Eric Reid last year, either, but I seem to have been hugely wrong about that. Anywho, my favorites high in the draft would have to be Jimmie Ward and - especially - Deone Bucannon. I think they'll both be second round picks (Ward maybe late 1st), but I'd take either of them over HaHa and Pryor.

I have barely looked at TEs since, imo, Denver would barely be able to keep a rookie one on their roster (and if anything, they need a blocking TE more than a receiving TE, but nobody cares about those), but I consistently hear great things about Ebron. Can't be mad about your team drafting for talent > need, especially in the first.

It is true the combine helped Donald's stock a lot, but a lot of what he showed off in his combines/workouts were the same things you could see in games. Everyone already knew he was really quick, and plenty strong - I think a lot of what helped him out was simply the measurements. You could see he had long arms in comparison to other tackles his size, but having measurements to back it up quieted a lot of the "He's too short" crowd. (Which was really the reason he was pegged as a second rounder for a while.)
You're right about him not being real scheme versatile - I doubt he'd have much success in a two-gap/3-4 scheme, but he'd be perfect for what the Bears - and a few other teams - need. I don't expect him to be picked before #14 though, the Falcons, Rams, and Bucs all have much more pressing needs. (Though the Rams' D-line would be absolutely terrifying if they were to draft Donald...)

As for Hageman, yeah he could be one of the best in the league, or downright horrible. That's why I put him in my list of 'meh' prospects.... he hasn't shown consistent high-caliber play and it terrifies me. He has major upside, but it really doesn't show up in games often enough for me to count on him to do well. If he's there in the second and we have yet to grab a DT, I'd take him in a heartbeat, but at 14 there will probably be better options. Not willing to take that risk with our first unless we were to trade down.

I actually find it entertaining, some random person known for not knowing anything sent out a tweet saying the Bears were considering taking Bucannon in the first, and suddenly I'm seeing mocks crop up on a forum I frequent with the Bears taking him at #14... I would be completely shocked if that were to happen. He isn't a bad player, but he isn't someone I would consider in the first. I really haven't watched much of Ward.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Well, today's the NFL draft! It will be interesting to see what the Lions do. I could see them taking cornerback Justin Gilbert at the 10th pick, the Lions might even trade up to get Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins maybe.

We will see what happens.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Well, today's the NFL draft! It will be interesting to see what the Lions do. I could see them taking cornerback Justin Gilbert at the 10th pick, the Lions might even trade up to get Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins maybe.

We will see what happens.
As much as I want Sammy Watkins, I don't think it's worth it to trade up to get him, and I don't want Mike Evans.

They might be wise to trade back this time around. It's a deep draft. They can afford to do it.