• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread

Navin

MALDREAD
I love Brady and Luck. But I'm rooting for Patriots in this one. I want Tom to get his fourth ring and equal Montana.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I love Brady and Luck. But I'm rooting for Patriots in this one. I want Tom to get his fourth ring and equal Montana.

This would be fitting, Montana being Brady's childhood idol.

Mye

Someone has to win..
This would be fitting, Montana being Brady's childhood idol.

That, and they're so eerily ironic. One of montana's backups (steve young) went on to be a bonifide hall of fame QB. Meanwhile, all of Brady's backups (Cassel, Mallet) probably aren't going to be anywhere near as talented. Hell, even the guy he replaced probably isn't entering the hall of fame anytime soon.

Navin

MALDREAD
That, and they're so eerily ironic. One of montana's backups (steve young) went on to be a bonifide hall of fame QB. Meanwhile, all of Brady's backups (Cassel, Mallet) probably aren't going to be anywhere near as talented. Hell, even the guy he replaced probably isn't entering the hall of fame anytime soon.

Unless Jimmy Garropolo becomes a legend after Brady.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Unless Jimmy Garropolo becomes a legend after Brady.

Which is highly doubtful. Everyone thinks Belecheck is gonna retire when Brady does (if he did, it'd probably be on a massive "high" and he could ride off into the sunset being one of the greatest coaches of all time) so unless Garropolo channels his inner Steve Young he's probably gonna be the next Alex Smith.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Found it interest that John Fox was hired by the Bears today. Seems like a good move for the Bears overall but then again they did get Cutler from Denver again. The only thing that would be major to keep in mind is that it ain't a coach that makes a team good - if the name is Belicheck - but the teamwork chemistry throughout the whole team.

Other than that, I can honestly see the SEC East be way better than the SEC West this year in football after the East had a better record in Bowl games than the West. Another thing is that Tennesee looks like they are going to be up and ready to be in the CFP here in the next few years especially after the number of freshman that they started last year plus Dobbs being considered to be a Dark Horse candidate to win the Heisman next year. Georgia and Missouri have been up there alright here recently but who knows how they are going to be; Florida, it might be like they are back if their Psycho Defense is something; South Carolina might be great or the same as they have been recently; Don't know much about how Vandy will do; Kentucky, on the other hand, has the potential but then again it's Football after all where winning is great and was especially great to get 5 wins aftter 2 2 win seasons after osing the the final games.

But hey, Cardale Jones is the leading Heisman if he gets the start next year for Ohio State.

Navin

MALDREAD
Which is highly doubtful. Everyone thinks Belecheck is gonna retire when Brady does (if he did, it'd probably be on a massive "high" and he could ride off into the sunset being one of the greatest coaches of all time) so unless Garropolo channels his inner Steve Young he's probably gonna be the next Alex Smith.

If Belichick wins a fourth SB, then I think now would be a great time to retire. Then again, with the way Brady has been playing, he could easily compete for the Super Bowl next year as well. But he is getting up there in age (62).

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
If I were Brady and I won a fourth Super Bowl at age 37, I'd probably just ride out the rest of my contract and retire once it ends. I mean, sure, Tom Brady himself would probably want a fifth ring if he can get it, but he could have had four rings already if he had won one of those Giants ones (not the 18-1 game, the Law of Averages really bit us that year).

Either way, we're probably not gonna get that fourth ring as long as Green Bay and Seattle are in the mix. I mean, we came close at Lambeau, so who's to say we won't beat the Packers in a neutral stadium? Where two cold-weather teams play in 80-degree temperatures... Never mind!

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Nothing will ever be worse than watching the refs steal Super Bowl 40 from us, but this game is coming up on being one of the two worst games I've ever seen.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Nothing will ever be worse than watching the refs steal Super Bowl 40 from us, but this game is coming up on being one of the two worst games I've ever seen.

Super Bull XL [sic] was really painful for me as a Browns fan. In fact, being a Browns fan since 1999 overall has been painful. In terms of local teams, I've come to enjoy Ohio State much more, especially more so now that they won the first ever College Football Playoff National Championship after spending much of the season as a dark horse candidate to win it all.

Further illustrating my point, the Browns' first round pick in 2004, Kellen Winslow Jr., has not played in any postseason games in his multiple stops (in contrast to Big Ben who has appeared in multiple postseasons and even won it all twice). He did play on the Patriots in 2012, but got cut before they made the playoffs. In contrast, his father played in the postseason every year between 1979 and 1982 as a member of the Chargers, during which he played in two of the most memorable NFL playoff games ever, both in the 1981 season - a hot and humid divisional playoff game in Miami that took nearly all of one overtime to determine a winner, and a very cold AFC title game in Cincinnati that was among the coldest pro football games ever. All of this proves that the saying "like father, like son" is not always true.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Completing 3rd and 19, plus a touchdown on a fake field goal, Seattle had better have its mojo back after that.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
And... we're heading into overtime.

Man Green Bay, you had several opportunities to end this, but you gave up an onside kick AND a 2 point conversion.

EDIT: Seattle wins 28-22.

Last edited:

WillDaSnail

Soon™?
Seeing is believing when it comes to the unbelievable comeback the Seahawks just pulled off. And I cannot believe how the Packers choked this so hard to the point that Seattle was able to score 15 points in 44 seconds during the last 4 minutes of regulation.

What the heck did I just watch?

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
...Well. That was something...

Pretty sure Russel Wilson's not gonna have another four-interception day in the Super Bowl.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Russell Wilson praying to Jesus. As if Satan wasn't the real one responsible.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Russel Wilson didn't win that game. The Legion of Boom did.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Well it was a great run. Heading into this playoffs, if the Packers were to lose, I wanted it to be in Seattle, not at home, because to me, losing at home is worse than losing on the road.

Of course, I guess you can pin this one on the Buffalo Bills. The Packers are the only team that existed pre-merger to never have won in Buffalo (if they had done so this season, they would have been the #1 seed in the NFC), which is ironic given that both teams have had contrasting levels of success in NFL championship games - GB has more titles than anyone else, while the Bills are infamous for losing four Super Bowls in a row in the early 1990s, the first of which was lost after a Scott Norwood game-winning field goal attempt went wide right (a Super Bowl which will celebrate its 25th anniversary next season), a miss which pretty much derailed his career (had he made it, he probably wouldn't have retired after 1991).

Now, if the Patriots win, we will have a "Frasier Crane Bowl" (which is what I wanted at one point last year) - so named because the Patriots and Seahawks are based in or near the cities the TV character Frasier Crane lived in. The Patriots play in the suburbs of Boston, which was where Frasier lived when he was a character on Cheers. When he had his own show called Frasier, he lived in the home city of the Seahawks, Seattle. Furthermore, both series aired on NBC, which is to air the Super Bowl this year.

Last edited:

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Damn. Now I'll probably have to marathon Frasier before the game (no Cheers, though, that would just take way too damn long).