• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Erik decker was only good because he had Peyton manning throwing to him, and he makes average receivers look great. Percy Harvin is good when he isn't throwing a fit and fighting teammates. Marshall is good but as with Harvin has a lot of personality problems, which is why he's been traded 3 times now.

Last edited:

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
And now we lost Akeem Ayers?! Jesus, the Patriots might as well post a giant ****ing billboard at Gillette Stadium saying "Free touchdowns, no effort required!"

bobjr

Staff member
Please, the Patriots haven't even been close to as bad as the 49ers or the Saints so far this Offseason.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Agreed. While the patriots did lose revis (who is now gonna finish his career on what is essentially jacksonville from 7 years ago), he was by no means their best player (or even in their top 3, as I'm willing to put their kicker ahead of him purely because of revis' past injury problems). Unless either team somehow improves massively, I have the Saints 1 and Eagles 2 as the biggest losers so far this offseason. New Orleans traded away who is arguably their most valuable player (as unlike breeze, Jimmy Graham has more than 4-5 years left of decent productivity) for things that'll only mildly help them, whereas the Eagles gave up a safe option PLUS PICKS for an injury-prone QB and gave up on a RB whose been pretty good for them to instead sign a different RB to a 5-year deal in what (from what it looks like to me) seems to be them trying to make a statement against Dallas after last year's regular season division shift that saw the eagles blow it horribly in the final five weeks.

Also, bobjr, you're kinda wrong on the 49ers making bad moves this offseason. Aside from Harbaugh leaving (which was kinda out of their control), Frank Gore leaving didn't really change much as he's probably going to decline soon, and the 49ers were already gonna be horrible next season even with him (unless something big happens, I have'm pegged at 6-10 next season).

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't think things are looking good for the Ravens right now, we lost a lot of players to free agency. We lost Torrey Smith to the 49ers, Owen Daniels to the Broncos, Phernell McFee to the Bears, and Haloti Ngata to the Lions. At least we still have Justin Forsett though.

bobjr

Staff member
Well the 49ers went bad because of their coaching decisions, along with not getting anyone good. Saints are probably the worst at this point, since almost anyone but Brees is probably up for grabs from other teams now.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Yeah, the problem with the saints as well is that their division is sooo weak right now, so them being in this weird cap scenario kinda screws them out of what could've been at least 3 (including last year) playoff spots. Unless they get very lucky at the draft, losing graham makes them a 4-12 team in a division which somehow does not have a top-10 QB in it barring Brees. Unless Tampa completely implodes and doesn't improve (which they hopefully should, with Mike Glennon being a pretty underrated gem), this could be a year in which the division has the saints finish last, with Carolina Tampa and Atlanta rounding it out from worst to division winner.

bobjr

Staff member
Saints just traded Kenny Stills for a third rounder and a player that was probably going to get cut anyway. Stills is a one trick pony, but one that's nice to have.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Wish the Patriots could've gotten a wide receiver to make up for our was-paper-but-then-not-but-now-paper-again defense. And we're probably not gonna get a good one in the draft because we pick last.

Actually, how was the Patriots' pass defense compared to their run defense? Because I remember the run being a problem even with Revis and Browner.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Pass was 17th, run was 9th. That being said, the Pats didn't face too many run-dependant teams last season, so their stats are a bit skewed.

Also, jets signed cromartie to return their defense back to what it was in 2010 (minus the fact that revis has a ring now, albeit he had to go to boston to do so). For a team that just came off of what was one of their worst seasons in recent memory, they sure are doing a lot of "oakland-ey" anti-rebuild moves. Maybe they think it's their year with the conference getting weaker, and the Patriots' QB possibly joining Florence Henderson for a brady bunch reunion. On the other hand, they could just have a bad GM. Yes, nevermind, I'll go with that.

Oh, and more moves happened:

Cowboys signed darren mcfadden (ugh, not him) to a 2 year deal
Saints signed CJ Spiller to a 1 year deal
Bills signed Percy Harvin (LOL) to a 1 year deal
Rams signed Nick Fairley to a 1 year deal

You can tell it's a bad day in new york football when the jets are trying to be what they were 5 years ago and the bills are going after guys even the jets don't want to keep. Also, just gonna throw this out there now, if the Cowboys do decide to have Darren McFadden be their go-to RB, I do not see them winning the division and do not see them finishing any higher than 20th in rushing (as they got reallly lucky last year with Philly having that epic collapse and a bunch of their not-romo guys having career/team-record years).

bobjr

Staff member
Darren McFadden will do what he always does, look impressive in the preseason then tear something in his foot 2 games into the season.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
I think I've come to the realization that Belichick has totally checked out now that he has that fourth ring and is just riding out the rest of his contract (however long that may be).

Mye

Someone has to win..
That number is two, and can you really blame him? The guy was on a few crappy teams to start his coaching career, then basically hit the jackpot with Brady and is widely regarded as the greatest coach currently in the NFL right now. Unless he somehow has multiple 0-16 seasons, he'll never be fired (and even if he did, he'd be highly sought after by virtually every team), so just let'm have his fun even if it means we'll never see Brady get number 5.

bobjr

Staff member
I don't think the Patriots have made any real bad moves, they do have a lot of draft picks, and I doubt they would have kept Revis at his cost.

Mye

Someone has to win..
The problem with the patriots right now is that although they didn't improve, every other team in their division has at least attempted to. The dolphins shipped out a bunch of their useless offensive weapons and brought in suh, who will be causing Brady nightmares (and keeping A-Rod happy in green bay), the Jets retooled their defense which should make them at least somewhat decent, and the Bills have made tons of moves in the offseason in an attempt to give their team some actual offense. Whether these moves will actually pay off, only time will tell (unless you're the jets or the bills, in which case have fun with 4-12 records next year). Still though, seeing all these moves must make you either really fearful, or really happy (as they're essentially doing all of them because of the patriots, and not because they're good for longterm success of their franchises).

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
So the Patriots have gotten to the rest of the division? I can accept that.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
The problem with the patriots right now is that although they didn't improve, every other team in their division has at least attempted to. The dolphins shipped out a bunch of their useless offensive weapons and brought in suh, who will be causing Brady nightmares (and keeping A-Rod happy in green bay), the Jets retooled their defense which should make them at least somewhat decent, and the Bills have made tons of moves in the offseason in an attempt to give their team some actual offense. Whether these moves will actually pay off, only time will tell (unless you're the jets or the bills, in which case have fun with 4-12 records next year). Still though, seeing all these moves must make you either really fearful, or really happy (as they're essentially doing all of them because of the patriots, and not because they're good for longterm success of their franchises).

Where are you getting that they weren't decent before these acquisitions? The Jets ended up as the 6th ranked defense in the country. Granted, they allowed a lot of points, they still held their ground on being 14th in passing yards allowed (Revis, Cromartie, and Skrine will undoubtedly boost them into a top 10, if not top 5, slot) and 5th in rushing yards allowed. I would say they are pushing to make it better because it was already decent.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
I'm sorry, but until the Jets win games, and until the Bills make at least a wildcard, I refuse to believe anyone in the AFC East has closed the gap between them and the Patriots except for the Dolphins. I'm not saying Ryan Tannehill is Tom Brady, but he hardly deserves to be stuffed in the same class as Geno ****ing Smith. I like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassel way more, but Fitzpatrick's been benched, and the Vikings got rid of Cassel because they believe Teddy Bridgewater's their guy (whether he is remains to be seen). And I know they (the Dolphins) have Suh now, but if he was really the kind of difference-maker they say he is, then maybe the Patriots wouldn't have curbstomped the Lions last year (though if that was because of an inconsistent Detroit offense, it would explain a fair bit). Bottom line: the Dolphins have a quarterback, the Jets and Bills don't, and that makes all the difference in this division (case in point: Tom Brady).

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
Tannehill gets better every year, and he has room to improve. He's probably around 9th-10th best as a quarterback, and it's not like Miami can get someone better than him.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Yeah, I didn't actually say that those teams closed the gap, but merely that they made acquisitions in an attempt to. If I had to choose, I'd actually kinda agree that Miami is the most likely to usurp the patriots in the division (albeit doing so would be about 70:30). Having Suh on their defense made it waaay more scarier, and getting rid of their reject WR's should hopefully allow them to go younger and develop chemistry that clearly wasn't there last year. Ultimately, the division will be decided entirely by Brady's age and how it affects him, as Peyton made the superbowl prior to last year and followed it up with a pretty crappy season stat-wise (at least compared to when he shattered all those records). Jets/Bills, I've said it before and I'll say it again, teams need a good balance of offense and defense to win games. Even with Marshall, the jets' offense is still gonna be the same until they get a new QB and the Bills are attempting some sort of voodoo by using Cassel (a below-average qb who people thought was good because he played games on one of the greatest patriot teams of all time) and Ryan (a coach who would better serve as a defensive coordinator due to the fact that the only thing "offensive" about his "offenses" is having to watch them play 16 games a year).