• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread

Mye

Someone has to win..
Meh, here's the washington one (albeit I'm suuuper tired):

-The Washington (Name removed due to offending native americans)-

2014 Prediction: 3-13-0
2014 Record: 4-12-0
Notable Additions: OG Brandon Sherff
Notable Subtractions: None

Summary: The Washington football team is a prime example of what happens to a rebuild when it goes terribly wrong. Despite making numerous decent offensive acquisitions over the years (Desean Jackson), they haven't been able to get things together ever since RG3 got injured and have since become yet another laughingstock in a division full of Romo/Eli/Chip Kelly. Last season proved no different, as on the field they started THREE different QB's and off the field they had to deal with ongoing protests over whether the term "redskins" is offensive. During the offseason, nothing really notable happened aside from them drafting Brandon Sherff who many thought would go way lower but could be useful on their team. That being said, until bigger changes are done they'll remain a bad team in a division devoid of any decent defense.

3 Bold Predictions:
1) RG3 goes for over 2500 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards: Old habits really do die hard, and in the case of RG3 I really don't think he'll ever get over the read option. Despite many wanting him to become a pure pocket passer and his coaches/team wanting him to do the same, expect him to have a decent year all while defying everyone's expectations by running the ball on tons of plays.
2) The Washington team finishes last in the league in passing yards: ...That being said, Washington is still pretty horrible when it comes to the passing game. RG3 will go over 2500 passing yards, but he'll be struggling through each game trying to do that
3) Washington trades at least 1QB before the trade deadline: Despite many thinking it would happen, the washington team hasn't actually traded one of their QB's yet despite many thinking it would happen. If one of them starts to struggle, expect trade rumors to be plentiful with either Kirk Cousins and/or RG3 and/or Colt McCoy finding a new team before the deadline.

2015 Prediction: 3-13-0

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
I feel like I'm the only Patriots fan who would be okay with Brady not getting his suspension overturned. He's going to retire one day, like it or not, and we need an answer at quarterback one way or the other. A potential four games as the starter would be valuable game day experience at worst and a glimpse into his future at best. But I want to share my ideal endgame for if Brady has to sit out the first four weeks of the season.

Of course, this plan all hinges on Garoppolo going either 3-1 or 2-2 with a high QBR (the only games I'm 100% confident in are a win against Jacksonville and a loss against Dallas - Pittsburgh and Buffalo are both winnable, but neither is a sure thing, with our weakened defense in the former and Rex Ryan's defense in the latter). So basically, this amounts to a way-out-there best-case scenario. That said, if Garoppolo puts up the right numbers, I would shop him to a quarterback-needy tetam and market him as their answer. The desired endgame would be Garoppolo for the other team's first-round pick, which they would most likely have used on a quarterback anyway, use that pick to select a top-rated quarterback to learn behind Brady until he retires, and relish the barely restrained fury in Roger Goodel's voice as he announces the pick.

Again, I'm probably dreaming super-big, but I'd like to think Belichick would want to muscle his way back into the first round any way he can, and what better way than to sell a struggling franchise its quarterback of the future and use their pick to take your own?

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Johnny Football is gonna abandon his trademark dollar sign it seems. A important step forward in his development as a player.

Johnny Football is gonna abandon his trademark dollar sign it seems. A important step forward in his development as a player.
I'd abandon it too if i were him. It seems to be more effective for the people tackling him every week.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Well, the browns have picked up Terrelle (the guy who wishes his first name was Richard) Pryor. I'm not saying the Browns are total idiots for not re-signing Hoyer/basically treating him like dirt, but considering all three of the QBs they have would probably be backups on almost every other team not in new york, and it's starting to look like we're probably going to see the Cleveland team we're used to seeing.

I was also thinking of posting a few more of my predictions, not too sure if anybody finds them fascinating as this thread kinda died over the past 2 months or so.

ger9119

Well, the browns have picked up Terrelle (the guy who wishes his first name was Richard) Pryor. I'm not saying the Browns are total idiots for not re-signing Hoyer/basically treating him like dirt, but considering all three of the QBs they have would probably be backups on almost every other team not in new york, and it's starting to look like we're probably going to see the Cleveland team we're used to seeing.

I was also thinking of posting a few more of my predictions, not too sure if anybody finds them fascinating as this thread kinda died over the past 2 months or so.

They should convert Pryor into another position, maybe a Wide Out or Tight End

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
As a Browns and OSU fan I'm upset by the addition of Pryor to Cleveland's roster. I still don't forgive him for costing OSU a shot at the 2012 national title and effectively handing the SEC another national title in a year that without OSU's ban, they would have played ND for the title (to this day I am still calling for Brian Kelly to be fired, though I didn't start such calls until after ND's first loss to Oklahoma since Eisenhower was President, Woodstock was several months away when Eisenhower died; Kelly is much better suited for an American Athletic Conference school, he did pretty good at Cincinnati back when the conference was called the Big East). Still OSU did recover and win the national title last season, only 2 years after the ban, while Notre Dame's last title remains 1988, during Family Ties' final season on the air (ironically that show was set in the Columbus area).

celestial phantom

Eh, the offseason is always so slow with discussion, everyone for every sport is just waiting for the new season to begin. Keep doing them though, they can actually stimulate discussion between some of us I think. Though lol, apparently Pryor IS switching his position to WR. At least that's what seems to be the case as I look up on him more now to see that the Browns actually signed him. Maybe he can play QB and WR at the same time. Throw the ball then catch it himself, see how far that gets them.

There isn't a whole lot of big news this offseason, so there's little to talk about I guess. Brady's suspension hearing happens tomorrow I think, you guys think they'll free him, reduce it by like 2 games, or keep the suspension in place? I doubt it matters at all in the long run for the Pats, but for the Bills or Dolphins, those first few games might make a huge difference. Especially since Buffalo faces NE in week two this season.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Yeah, if Pryor does go to WR it should be fascinating, as barring Edelmen with the patriots I'm pretty sure the "success rate" for transitioning QB's in the league is slim. Also, I kinda forgot where I left off so I'll do the one team that didn't have a pick in the draft:

The Buffalo Bills
2014 Prediction: 6-10-0
2014 Record: 9-7-0
Notable Additions: HC Rex Ryan, WR Percy Harvin, QB Matt Cassel, QB Matt Simms, G Richie Incognito, QB Tyrod Taylor
Notable Subtractions: HC Doug Marrone, DC Jim Schwartz, QB Kyle Orton

Summary: Oh the Bills. If there's any team that doesn't have luck on their side, it's them. Last year they actually defied everyone's expectations and came close to a playoff spot, with Kyle Orton having a ridiculous (for him) season. Sadly, it was not to be and they kinda paid the price for it. In the offseason, tons of changes happened that have many people scratching their heads. Doug Marrone used a loophole in his contract and headed to Jacksonville, Kyle Orton decided to up and retire much the way most honorable players do when they hit the peak of their playing career, and Rex Ryan was randomly brought in as well as a whole slew of QB's in what should be a (apologies to Michael Vick on this one) real "dogfight" at that position. It isn't to say they're gonna be better or anything, but they should sure as hell be entertaining to watch

3 Zestfully Bold Predictions
~At least 3 Buffalo QB's will start, and throw for over 1,000 yards each: What can I say, Rex Ryan has a thing for QB's. In his 9 or so years as a head coach he has yet to have a QB throw with a completion percentage above 58 across a whole season, and has yet to have a single QB throw for more than 3,500 yards. Expect Buffalo to start multiple QB's in an effort to figure things out, with each one having at least one decent start

~Richie Incognito will record a touchdown: Rex Ryan also has a thing for (how can I say this without being cruel) "using novelty plays to the point of them being hilarious". Last year, Houston ran plays with JJ Watt which saw him become one of two players in NFL history to record a defensive and offensive touchdown in the same season. While I don't think Incognito will become the third, expect Ryan to exhaust all options and expect the 300+ LB guard to hit the endzone.

~Buffalo will finish in the top-5 in run defense: If Rex Ryan is good at anything, it's knowing how to stop teams from running the ball. In fact, he is so good at doing this that teams (on average) score 35 fewer rushing yards per game while facing teams he's coaching. While I don't expect Buffalo to be good entirely on defense, their staff is way better than what he had with the Jets so he should be able to mimic it quite a bit.

2015 Prediction: 3-13-0, While Buffalo may be entertaining, they'll be in a surprisingly strong division featuring a Pats team that's roughly the same, a Dolphins team that got a bit better, and an arguably better defensive mind in Todd Bowles. Doug Marrone will be sorely missed.

celestial phantom

Yeah, if Pryor does go to WR it should be fascinating, as barring Edelmen with the patriots I'm pretty sure the "success rate" for transitioning QB's in the league is slim. Also, I kinda forgot where I left off so I'll do the one team that didn't have a pick in the draft:

The Buffalo Bills
2014 Prediction: 6-10-0
2014 Record: 9-7-0
Notable Additions: HC Rex Ryan, WR Percy Harvin, QB Matt Cassel, QB Matt Simms, G Richie Incognito, QB Tyrod Taylor
Notable Subtractions: HC Doug Marrone, DC Jim Schwartz, QB Kyle Orton

Summary: Oh the Bills. If there's any team that doesn't have luck on their side, it's them. Last year they actually defied everyone's expectations and came close to a playoff spot, with Kyle Orton having a ridiculous (for him) season. Sadly, it was not to be and they kinda paid the price for it. In the offseason, tons of changes happened that have many people scratching their heads. Doug Marrone used a loophole in his contract and headed to Jacksonville, Kyle Orton decided to up and retire much the way most honorable players do when they hit the peak of their playing career, and Rex Ryan was randomly brought in as well as a whole slew of QB's in what should be a (apologies to Michael Vick on this one) real "dogfight" at that position. It isn't to say they're gonna be better or anything, but they should sure as hell be entertaining to watch

3 Zestfully Bold Predictions
~At least 3 Buffalo QB's will start, and throw for over 1,000 yards each: What can I say, Rex Ryan has a thing for QB's. In his 9 or so years as a head coach he has yet to have a QB throw with a completion percentage above 58 across a whole season, and has yet to have a single QB throw for more than 3,500 yards. Expect Buffalo to start multiple QB's in an effort to figure things out, with each one having at least one decent start

~Richie Incognito will record a touchdown: Rex Ryan also has a thing for (how can I say this without being cruel) "using novelty plays to the point of them being hilarious". Last year, Houston ran plays with JJ Watt which saw him become one of two players in NFL history to record a defensive and offensive touchdown in the same season. While I don't think Incognito will become the third, expect Ryan to exhaust all options and expect the 300+ LB guard to hit the endzone.

~Buffalo will finish in the top-5 in run defense: If Rex Ryan is good at anything, it's knowing how to stop teams from running the ball. In fact, he is so good at doing this that teams (on average) score 35 fewer rushing yards per game while facing teams he's coaching. While I don't expect Buffalo to be good entirely on defense, their staff is way better than what he had with the Jets so he should be able to mimic it quite a bit.

2015 Prediction: 3-13-0, While Buffalo may be entertaining, they'll be in a surprisingly strong division featuring a Pats team that's roughly the same, a Dolphins team that got a bit better, and an arguably better defensive mind in Todd Bowles. Doug Marrone will be sorely missed.

I'm a little surprised you do Buffalo's, and add guys like Matt Simms, Matt Cassel, and Tyrod Taylor to the additions, but didn't add Lesean Mccoy. Flip side, lost Kiko Alonso for that Shady McCoy trade, despite only having 1 full season to showcase, but could bounce back off this ACL tear this season to do well. Also losing CJ Spiller as the other half of their backfield tandem that actually produced well as a duo overall. I don't think too much of this team next year (they got some real luck wins, and lost a game or two they shouldn't have really). Will be interesting to see if they change it up. Added Charles Clay now too with the free agent period, though I think they might over pay on him (I think he had like a 4 yr, 40 mil, with 20 mil guaranteed). Also, I think you'd be on the Falcons now Mye.

Mye

Someone has to win..
To be fair, I kinda forgot about that little trade (been more focused on the NHL/NBA draft and the scarily high amount of trades). That being said, even with Lesean Mccoy I really can't see them being that good on offense. Barring Minny and "potentially" the Detroit Lions (if you consider Calvin Johnson to be better than Stafford) every offense that has made the playoffs in the past decade has relied a ton on the QB. Matt Cassel was widely considered one of the best backup-QB's in the entire NFL (because Brady's so "godly" that just by being in his presence you somehow inherit his superpowers), EJ Manuel is going to be under a worse offensive regime than Marrone, and Tyrod Taylor is the Baltimore equivalent of Cassel. While they may be decent defensively, I'd honestly be surprised if they don't finish at or near the bottom in total passing yards and more importantly rushing yards in what I honestly think will be a pretty pass-happy division this year. And yes, now I remember, I was doing it in draft order:

The -puts hand in front of mouth- Atlanta Falcons

2014 Prediction: 8-8-0
2014 Record: 6-10-0
Notable Additions: HC Dan Quinn, TE Jacob Tamme, DE Vic Beasley
Notable Subtractions: HC Mike Smith, RB Steven Jackson

Summary: The Falcons are an example of what age and poor decision making can do to a dynasty. First it was them drafting Michael Vick, then it was their bad decision making at the draft (with Matt Ryan being the only notable draft choice over the past 6 years), and combine that with the fact that age has slowly caught up with them and you have a team stuck in a bit of a predicament. Despite all of this, I thought they could at least have a decent record and "possibly" make the playoffs. Instead, their defense tanked horribly and despite Matt Ryan having an MVP-calibur year they fell behind both the saints and Panthers. Offseason came, and aside from replacing one coach with another they didn't really change much. That being said, none of the other teams in their divison got better either so I still have some hope for them

3 Bold Predictions...

~Matt Ryan will statistically have his worst year in the NFL: I like to call it "Eli Syndrome". When a QB lacks the talent around him and comes off an absurdly good year, his next year tends to be not so good. Matt Ryan came off a good year, but he can't do that all the time.

~The Falcons will have a bottom-5 passing AND rushing offense: What can I say that I haven't already said about the Giants. Combined, their RB's have started all of zero NFL games, and despite having funny names (I really want a Levine Toilolo jersey now) the rest of their offense is pretty weak in comparison to the rest of the league.

~TJ Yates will be traded before the deadline: Every year, there's always one team whose backup becomes ridiculously overhyped and praised for their skill (well, one team if you exclude the constant praise for Patriots backups). For TJ Yates, this will be his year. Expect the falcons to trade him for some sort of WR/RB package deal, with him proceeding to not fulfill the team's ridiculously high expectations.

2015 Prediction: 9-7-0. Much the same as the Buffalo review, only that Atlanta also lacks any sort of defensive power as well. That being said, they're in an incredibly weak division and should outright win it barring Brees or Cam setting the field on fire.

Navin

MALDREAD
Brady is obviously hiding something (maybe not football related), but this also feels like a desperate ploy from the NFL.

Honestly, the actual alleged crime is not that big of a deal. This cover-up nonsense makes it seem much worse. Funny thing is the arbitrary punishments Goodell dishes out.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Well, Eric Berry has been cleared to participate in training camp, which, although it is good news for him, I don't know if it is the smartest thing for him to do. Hopefully he can regain a fraction of his defensive production.

Brady is obviously hiding something (maybe not football related), but this also feels like a desperate ploy from the NFL.

Honestly, the actual alleged crime is not that big of a deal. This cover-up nonsense makes it seem much worse. Funny thing is the arbitrary punishments Goodell dishes out.

Brady certainly has a right to pursue legal action but the cons heavily outweigh the pros. Destroying potential evidence isn't exactly the best way to improve your chances of winning an impending legal battle. If he's confident that he can win though, more power to him. Most definitely an uphill battle that could potentially result in greater future penalties to Brady if anything substantial is revealed.

Navin

MALDREAD
Brady certainly has a right to pursue legal action but the cons heavily outweigh the pros. Destroying potential evidence isn't exactly the best way to improve your chances of winning an impending legal battle. If he's confident that he can win though, more power to him. Most definitely an uphill battle that could potentially result in greater future penalties to Brady if anything substantial is revealed.

Well according to his statement the NFL already got all relevant communication, and Brady wasn't obligated whatsoever to turn over his cell phone. Honestly, if he backs off now, he's admitting to guilt. If he keeps fighting, even if it's pointless, at least it might give off an image of innocence to the public. What Brady probably wants right now, if he really is guilty, is to leave the impression "I tried to fight, but the NFL/commissioner are unlawfully doing this to save face, so **** it, I'll prove haters wrong when I return."

Well according to his statement the NFL already got all relevant communication, and Brady wasn't obligated whatsoever to turn over his cell phone. Honestly, if he backs off now, he's admitting to guilt. If he keeps fighting, even if it's pointless, at least it might give off an image of innocence to the public. What Brady probably wants right now, if he really is guilty, is to leave the impression "I tried to fight, but the NFL/commissioner are unlawfully doing this to save face, so **** it, I'll prove haters wrong when I return."

Legal issues aside, yeah, that's pretty much the incident in a nutshell.

Anyone else just loathe "[insert random fanbase] be like" memes? Or is it just me. Think it's because ESPN overuses them to try and be funny.

P.S. College Football needs to come here sooner.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member

The funny thing is if he admitted it when it happened it would only have been a 25k fine, and if he admitted he did it after it would have been 1-2 games. But he decided to be stubborn and fall on his sword.

The ESPN legal analysts say Brady won't have much chance in court because of the destroyed phone.