• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NFL/NCAAF Thread

Genos

TTYD
USC won big time last night. I'm happy the sanctions are over, I feel this will be a great season.

Got my tickets for a Trojans game against Utah. After Thursday's game I feel little anxious about the upcoming match.

Big Winners of Week 1:
1. McNeese St. They didn't lose to LSU and got paid 500k by my school to come play a game, only to play 10 plays.
2. Texas A&M. Big boost for that program to beat a team within the top 25.
3. Northwestern. Outclassed Stanford. Could be a potential upset-inducing team this year.
4. Alabama. Alabama walked over Wisconsin. It wasn't pretty for the Badgers. Alabama definitely looks like a team deserving of a top 5 ranking.

Big Losers of Week 1:
1. Texas. Charlie Strong's career as a head coach at Texas might be a very short one after that loss to Notre Dame. I doubt Longhorns fans want to make blowouts a tradition.
2. Oregon. Yes, Oregon won the game scoring 60+ pts.. But they also let a FCS team score 42 points on them. The defense of Oregon is non-existent. May be the year USC wins the PAC 8/10/12.
3. TCU. Not a good first impression against Minnesota. This was a team that was expected to hang 40+ on every team they played this year.
4. Michigan St.. Michigan State does not look like the #5 team in the country and likely will not be that next week after staying in a close game with a MAC school.
5. LSU. We didn't play. Although I don't think the game's cancellation will hurt our playoff chances given who the game was against.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Hopefully Michigan plays better this Saturday against Oregon State. Overthrows, botched routes, running backs missing wide open holes, those were just some of the problems that I noticed in that last game.

The defense wasn't even playing bad! They were on the field way too much. The Lions play the Chargers this Sunday in the opener.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Simple predictions for the NFL season!

AFC EAST
1) New England: 13-3
2) Miami Dolphins: 10-6 (WC)
3) Buffalo Bills: 9-7
4) New York Jets: 8-8

AFC North
1) Baltimore Ravens: 11-5
2) Cincinnati Bengals: 9-7
3) Pittsburgh Steelers: 9-7
4) Cleveland Browns: 2-14

AFC South
1) Indianapolis Colts: 15-1
2) Jacksonville Jaguars: 7-9
3) Tennessee Titans: 6-10
4) Houston Texans: 6-10

AFC West
1) Kansas City Chiefs: 11-5
2) Denver Broncos: 10-6 (WC)
3) Oakland Raiders: 8-8
4) San Diego Chargers: 3-13

NFC East
1) New York Giants: 9-7
2) Philadelphia Eagles: 9-7
3) Dallas Cowboys: 9-7
4) Washington Redskins: 2-14

NFC North
1) Green Bay Packers: 12-4
2) Detroit Lions: 9-7
3) Minnesota Vikings: 7-9
4) Chicago Bears: 6-10

NFC South
1) New Orleans Saints: 10-6
2) Atlanta Falcons: 9-7
3) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 6-10
4) Carolina Panthers: 5-11

NFC West
1) Seattle Seahawks: 11-5
2) St Louis Rams: 10-6 (WC)
3) Arizona Cardinals: 10-6 (WC)
4. San Francisco 49ers: 4-12

AFC PLAYOFFS
1) Indy
2) New England
3) KC
4) Baltimore
5) Miami
6) Denver

WC round: Baltimore over Miami; KC over Denver
Divisional round: Baltimore over Indy; New England over KC
AFC title: Baltimore over New England

NFC playoffs
1) Green Bay
2) Seattle
3) New Orleans
4) New York
5) St. Louis
6) Arizona

WC round: New Orleans over Arizona; St. Louis over NYG
Divisional round: Seattle over St. Louis; Green Bay over New Orleans
NFC title: Seattle over Green Bay

SUPERBOWL 50
Seattle over Baltimore, 31-17

NOTES

*I am really sold on the Rams this year. If they had a decent head coach, they'd be really dangerous.

***** the NFC East. You might as well throw darts to pick that division, year-in and year-out. I have no faith in the Eagles, and I think the Cowboys will underachieve. I can't possibly see the Redskins winning (and if they were in a better division, I could see picking them as 1-15), so... **** me, Giants it is!

*I don't know WHY I think the Chargers will be terrible, but... I think the Chargers will be terrible. I think Kansas City will emerge as the class of the AFC West and FINALLY win a playoff game!

*I see the AFC coming down to Baltimore and Indianapolis, and I have them meeting in the second round. Coin toss, and Baltimore it is.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
This year, all NFL games in London will kick off at 9:30 AM New York time and each one, in a way, will be nationally televised. I've been wanting this for the London games for years. Of course, the Bills-Jags game will only be on traditional TV in the teams' local markets. The only national outlet that will actually carry the game is Yahoo! Screen, an internet TV channel of sorts (which is host to new episodes of Community since NBC canceled it), where it will be available worldwide. The game's production itself will be handled by CBS.

On the subject of games at alternate sites, I feel it is important the NFL hold a game in Canada each year, and since the Bills have pulled out of Toronto (I'm surprised Rogers hasn't sued the team for breach of contract yet), Seattle seems like a nice choice for playing a home game in Canada each year - with the applicable city being Vancouver, which is home to a lot of Seahawks fans. I'm all for many NFL teams playing a game at an alternate home city that is close to their fanbase to give fans in those cities easier access to attending an NFL game, like for instance, the Browns playing a home game in Columbus on the campus of the defending national champions the Ohio State University (that was a good game this past Monday night), or the Packers moving their Gold package games (the former Milwaukee games) to Camp Randall Stadium on the U Wisconsin campus. In these cases, all the gameday traditions for the college teams that play in those stadiums (like dotting the I at Ohio Stadium) can take place during the NFL games as well.

The Colts playing a game at Notre Dame Stadium could conceivably enable them to play an outdoor home game in December, something they can't do at Lucas Oil Stadium (read the Wikipedia article on the Luke to find out why).

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Michigan wins! De'Veon Smith isn't the fastest running back, but he runs hard every play. He's not afraid to run people over either. Rudock managed the game well and he played good despite the 1 interception that he had. Early on Michigan came out flat. Eventually the offense started to get in rhythm and the defense clamped down. Great win today! GO BLUE! Harbaugh gets his first win as head coach for Michigan! It was great to see him fired up on the sideline today as well. All Brady Hoke did was stand on the sideline with no headset on clapping his hands...

Auburn just dodged a gigantic bullet. The Jacksonville State quarterback should have thrown the ball away instead of taking that sack. Kudos to Jacksonville State for taking Auburn to the limit.

Auburn dodged yet another bullet, this time from an FCS team in overtime. I said it after Louisville and got flak for it (not on this forum), but I think many will finally agree that Auburn is definitely not a Top 10 team. Judging by how badly they've played their last two games, they may not be a Top 25 team by the end of this year.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Auburn has no business being in the top 10 after that poor showing. I said the same thing about Michigan when they lost to Appalachian State.

LSU wins! The defense clearly needs work in regards to pass protection, but aside from that we look fantastic. Fournette is clearly a Heisman contender. P.S. Les Miles loves to raise my blood pressure. After calling a time out on the first missed game winning field goal I nearly lost my ****. Auburn next week. Tigers vs. Paper Tigers.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Different teams, different setting, but looks like Mariota got the best of Jameis Winston - again. Maybe within a few years Mariota will win a Super Bowl, which will more than make up for not winning a national title in college (you all know who Oregon lost to last season in the NCG, right?). I'm sure Winston will shine too, it's probably week 1 jitters that got him more than anything.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
When the Lions were up 21-3 I never dreamed my bottle of Advil would ever be opened. That lead was too good to be true.

Most of my football life has been spent watching the Lions get out played and out coached. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that they blew a 21-3 lead.

Last edited:

Caused

JaMarcus Winsell showed up for my Buccaneers today. :(... I wanted us to draft Mariota for two years, and we made the wrong Decision...

Super Bowl Pick for me is the Cowboys. Greg Hardy, that draft, that Offensive Line, there Running Backs are still somewhat talented... And Foles may have just shown Philly they ended up with the worse Quarterback in the trade.

And I like the Chiefs to win the AFC.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
At least Michigan won this week. My weekend isn't a total dumpster fire at least. I can see Michigan beating UNLV next week, but the following game against BYU will be tough.

How about those Rams? Seahawks should have thrown it.

celestial phantom

I was surprised at the Lions loss from 21-3 to 33-28. Lots of week 1 action that made for a lot of very, very good games today. Ravens/Broncos were on in the area, and Manning posted what must be a top 5 worst game ever for him. 175 yards, and what 1 almost 2 INTs? Chicago and GB was a lot more competitive than I figured it would be, and Chicago held their own really well, but like always Cutler choked, and at least John Fox knows use Matt Forte! Other game on here was Houston vs KC, and I was surprised at how strong KC opened up especially against he Texans Defense. Looks like they need to fix up some problems in the middle for TEs, Kelce just had a lot of room to make plays. Not surprised the Titans beat the Bucs, but damn did Mariota look good in the highlights, ofc it was the Bucs, and they aren't that greatly improved, but the Lions and Titans games each made me wish I had the ability to start more than 3 RBs in my fantasy league since Ameer and Sankey both had strong opening days. I look forward to being able to watch Ameer and know that there's a guy from our program like him and isn't Suh in nature (seriously, dislike the poor sportsmanship he seems to have with playing).

Disappointed my Colts opened with a loss, but I wasn't exactly surprised, with how good the Bills defense can be, and that Rex is a defensive minded coach. The entire NFC west sans SF (I'm just guessing) will be interesting to watch, if Palmer stays healthy behind the O-Line, the Cards should do really well, Seahawks had a bit of disarray on the Defense at times, and the Rams will be an interesting team to watch with Foles under center and a good Defense and ST unit.

Also, I'm having a wonderful opening fantasy week already, 10 man league and everyone overlooks Chris Ivory for like 2 rounds beyond what he was ranked giving me a strong flex, AP and Julio Jones has yet to play, Seahawks Defense did good enough even though they gave up so many points, really wish I figured I could start Ameer or Sankey over Lamar Miller though, didn't expect them to come out of the gate week 1, now I hope they don't falter as the season goes on to not being useful.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Manning posted what must be a top 5 worst game ever for him. 175 yards, and what 1 almost 2 INTs?

Maybe Manning should take this as a sign he should retire, which is what he should have done in the first place. As an Astrodome crowd would say (paraphrased), "let Brock (Osweiler) play!".

Navin

MALDREAD
When the Lions were up 21-3 I never dreamed my bottle of Advil would ever be opened. That lead was too good to be true.

Most of my football life has been spent watching the Lions get out played and out coached. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that they blew a 21-3 lead.

Vintage Lions. Finding creative wins to lose games.

Mariota though. What a debut.

At least Michigan won this week. My weekend isn't a total dumpster fire at least. I can see Michigan beating UNLV next week, but the following game against BYU will be tough.

I wanted MSU to lose, just to see Dantonio stony face. To be honest though, I think UM has a chance of beating MSU this year. State hasn't yet looked as imposing as previous years, and Harbaugh hates MSU enough that it's not as one-sided of a rivalry sentiment this time.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
History was made today. Until today, the Bengals never won in Oakland. They did it for the first time ever today, by the score of 33-13.

I'm sure Winston will shine too, it's probably week 1 jitters that got him more than anything.

Or it could just be that Winston is the same old overrated, pick-happy player that he was last year. Not sure why anyone's surprised that he threw 2 interceptions in his first NFL start; he threw the most picks of any Power Five QB by a solid margin last season, and the only QB from the FBS as a whole that threw more than him was Tyler Rogers from New Mexico State. Maybe he'll get better eventually, but I saw this rough start coming a mile away.

Navin

MALDREAD
Or it could just be that Winston is the same old overrated, pick-happy player that he was last year. Not sure why anyone's surprised that he threw 2 interceptions in his first NFL start; he threw the most picks of any Power Five QB by a solid margin last season, and the only QB from the FBS as a whole that threw more than him was Tyler Rogers from New Mexico State. Maybe he'll get better eventually, but I saw this rough start coming a mile away.

It's just the first game. Once teams get tape on these players and break them down in film, then it'll become tougher for both of them, so whomever can improve and adapt better can be judged then.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I would say Winston could have had an off day but the Titans aren't exactly considered powerhouses. Same the other way around, Tampa Bay has terrible defense and didn't do much to fix that this year, so I expect Mariota to not do this often.