• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ni No Kuni Coming to the US (aka: That Studio Ghibli RPG we all wanted)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
As the title says, the Level 5/Studio Ghibli game known as Ni No Kuni is being localized. More specifically, the PS3 remake is being localized (hence, why I'm posting it here). As far as I can tell, the biggest change from the DS version seem to be the use of cell shaded 3-D models for the cutscenes, instead of the anime cutscenes, though I did hear a rumor that you can switch to the Anime style in the game if you like those better. But honestly, this is some of the best cell shading I've seen in a game in a long time. Of course, would you expect less from these people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLPHeHUJikQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd0q8w1yj_s&feature=related

So yeah. I guess I'll just leave this open to see what your reactions to this are. And please don't turn this into a PS3 bash thread. I'm just as mad as you all are that this was never localized on the DS. But at least we're getting it in some way. And honestly, it still looks really good.

So yeah, the game is expected out some time during the spring of this year. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
This is clearly a buy first day game.

Rakurai

This game looks to be one of the most entertaining takes on a monster collection RPG in quite some time.

Last edited:

Atari

Did it on 'em
At first glance I became very excited because I thought it was going to be a release for the DS. Since I don't have a PS3 I don't care anymore.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Nice. I was hoping for this to be localized.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
This game is on game to buy lists, it just looks so beautiful

I can't wait till it get released although I don't know if I will have the time to play it.

ForeverFlame

The title/OP is kinda misleading. The DS and PS3 versions are completely different games. One is the "Black Mage" and one is the "White Witch". Both of them were made separately from the ground up (and they have different characters, graphics, and plot developments), so it's not a Pokemon Black & White scenario either.

I'm really disappointed that we aren't getting the DS version. It looked like one of the most beautiful DS games out there. The PS3 version looks kind of average compared to other PS3 games.

Buchou

filch some swag
I was really excited by reading this then I realized it wasn't for the DS and I don't have a PS3. Ah well.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
The title/OP is kinda misleading. The DS and PS3 versions are completely different games. One is the "Black Mage" and one is the "White Witch". Both of them were made separately from the ground up (and they have different characters, graphics, and plot developments), so it's not a Pokemon Black & White scenario either.

Nope. The characters and plot are essentially the same (though the PS3 version has an expanded storyline beyond that of the DS version). The 'Black Mage' character is indeed still in the game. If you go on youtube, you can see side by side comparisons between the DS version and the PS3 version. It's the same characters and it's the same storyline. I guess, you could say they're different appearance-wise, but the plot is pretty much the same.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2011/101811c.html

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Quick update. We have a ball park estimate for a release date now. Some time winter of this year (as in November-December). So we'll be getting it a bit sooner than the first projected release time in 2013.

Which is fine in retrospect, especially with Tales of Graces F about to come out here. At least we'll have games to hold us over.

Kaia

And its releasing early 2013 for Europe.
Buuuut I really want to play this game when it releases.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
And its releasing early 2013 for Europe.

Yeah I don't get why Namco is doing that, but it doesn't really matter since we actually getting the game.