1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nick-naming themes

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NimhShambler, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NimhShambler

NimhShambler Fighting Type Prof.

I was wondering if anyone else follows a theme when they nickname their pokemon.

In my main version (Right now, Crystal, this weekend, Platinum) I use Graeko-Roman names:

*Hitmonchan-Sertorius (Commander Marius's General. Held out in Spain against the Sulla until he was assassinated by Perperna)
    *Hitmonlee-Diomedes (Prince of Argus and hero at Troy)
    *Hitmontop-Metellus (the predecessor of Commander Marius.)
    *Tyrogue-Tiro (latin for 'apprintace')
    *Poliwrath-Rana (latin for 'frog')
    *Machamp-Cadmus (Founder of Thebes)
    *Primeape- Agrippina (Mother of Caligula)
    *Bulbasaur- Virgula (latin for "Little Twig")
    *Marowak- Vespillo (latin for 'undertaker', used to be "Orbatus" (latin for "Orphan") when he was a Cubone)
    *Umbreon- Erebus (Greek god of darkness)
    *Feraligater- Incursio (latin for "Agression")
    *Mew-Aeriope (Mother of Agamemnon)

two exceptions, though:
    *Dragonite-Papre (After Dragonne Papre in TESL Battlespire....)
    *Mewtwo-David (After David Lee Roth)

In Red version, all of them were named for Silent Hill Characters ie: Mewtwo=Xuchilbara, Mew=Samael

In Yellow version, all of them were named for Radiohead songs ie: Pikachu=Faust ARP, Mewtwo=Knives Out, Gloom=Vegetable, Eevee=Blow Out

In Silver, I tend to stick to normal human names, with the exception of my Cyndaquil. She's named Shmi, after Shmi Skywalker

Anyone else name on a theme, or do you have a name you'd like to share?

2. pikadon92

pikadon92 Raiden Maximus

Although I do nickname my pokemon, none of them share the same theme altogether.
    Well, maybe excpet for a few. For example, my chikorita and mareep's names are Cheeky and Meep respectively. Both are somewhat a corruption of their pokemon names.

My unowns are an exception. I give them random nicknames that are based on their initials. For example, my unown a is call Aleph.

3. palingensia

palingensia amends

I tend to nickname my Pokemon after song titles (when I do nickname them, that is). Like in my current Nuzlocke challenge on Pt I'm going by the album Blood Mountain by Mastodon, and after I've run out of nicknames from that album I'll go onto a new one I like.

4. Secret Identity

Secret Identity Pseudo Trainer

I mostly name my Pokemon after what they're based on...

Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion = Porcupine
    Mareep, Flaafy, Ampharos = Sheep
    Skarmory = Condor
    Teddiursa, Ursaring = Bear
    Scyther, Scizor = Mantis

...or what version they're the mascot of.

Suicune = Crystal

If they're shiny, it's the above and the fact that they're shiny.

Red Gyarados = RedSerpent

There are a few exceptions, of course.

Raikou = Gold
    Entei = Silver

That way, the Legendary Beasts are named Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

5. ArcanineOod

ArcanineOod Peace, perfect peace

I don't usually nickname my Pokemon. However, when I first played through Pokemon Colusseum I named them all after food. My Furret was BlueberryPie or something like that! XD

In my FR triospecies challenge, I gave them Classical names:
    Jigglypuff --> Wigglytuff was named Hypnos after the Ancient Greek god of sleep.
    Growlithe --> Arcanine was named Pyr after the Greek work for fire.
    Psyduck --> Golduck was named Oceanus after the all-encompassing body of water the Romans believed surrounded the land.

I do expect that if I were to start regularly nicknaming my Pokemon, I would continue that Classical theme, or else name them after characters from my newest obsession - Star Trek: TOS.
    = 3

xX

6. Shining Octillery

Shining Octillery Fabolous Trainer!

in Pearl i named my team after Flavor Of Love contestants lol

7. RaZoR LeAf

RaZoR LeAf Night Terror

I prefer my teams to have a theme with their nicknames. My curent Heart Gold team are all named after rulers of Egypt.

Houndour (m) - Aphophis
    Ampharos (f) - Nefertiti
    Steelix (m) - Rameses
    Feraligatr (m) - Kuhfu
    Natu (f) - Cleopatra
    Hitmonlee (m) - Seti

The Mono-Teams I did in RBY many years ago all had names related to the type, except for Normal, where I picked random but appropriate sounding words from a dictionary.

8. RaZoR LeAf

RaZoR LeAf Night Terror

I prefer my teams to have a theme with their nicknames. My curent Heart Gold team are all named after rulers of Egypt.

Houndour (m) - Aphophis
    Ampharos (f) - Nefertiti
    Steelix (m) - Rameses
    Feraligatr (m) - Kuhfu
    Natu (f) - Cleopatra
    Hitmonlee (m) - Seti

The Mono-Teams I did in RBY many years ago all had names related to the type, except for Normal, where I picked random but appropriate sounding words from a dictionary.

9. Onyx Umeki

Onyx Umeki Mrph...how impudent.

I use a certain letter in all there names.

10. zandgaia

zandgaia *Gasp* He's back!

At the moment in my FR file I use stuff that are in my head and use that as a nickname, like: Cubone, Busted.

But I'm only doing it on two files:

>Fr, stuff in my head
    >HG, songs I like.

11. cannibaleyes

cannibaleyes Holier Than Thou

Although I don't have a particular theme for ALL of my pokemon, I do have a slight Star Trek theme going on in SoulSilver.=P
    Shiny Lucario - Kirk
    Shiny Espeon - Spock
    Heatran - Horta
    ...I plan to get a Magnezone an name it Enterprise. XD
    ..And my character's name is Kirk and my rival is Khan. XD
    I had a Lucario with the same name as my character in Platinum, too, so it's kind of a tradition now...

12. Xx Flare xX

Xx Flare xX Well-Known Member

If it's a pokemon thats likely to be used by me I just pick a name that sounds great (to me) and suits it.

Otherwise the ruder the better:p Trading pokemon with disgusting names is just too fun.

13. veloxiraptor

veloxiraptor New Member

I impose themes on any Pokemon that are in some way related or part of a group. I've noticed this often results in one name being decent and the rest being terrible.

Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres = Skydive, Skyhammer, and Skywarp
    Raikou, Entei, and Suicune = Stormsurge, Powersurge, and Tidalsurge
    Regirock, Regice, Registeel, and Regigigas = Venias, Vidios, Vicius, and Caesar
    Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf = Mindwhip, Mindwipe, and Mindwarp
    Lugia and Ho-oh = Silverbolt and Goldenwake
    The Hitmons = Punchout, Kickback, and Spincycle
    Volbeat and Illumise = Bugout and Bugoff
    Solrock and Lunatone = Sunspot and Moonunit
    Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon = Shellshock, Firefight, and Deepdive
    Wormadam (three forms) and Mothim = Ichigo, Niigo, Sango, and Shiigo
    Eeveelutions = Spyre, Spyke, Slyck, Shyft, Spyte, Styng, and Slyde (I really hope they don't make any more!)

14. Professor-Layton

Professor-Layton Active Member

I just acquired a copy of Platinum last Saturday and I am following a composer/symphony theme.

Piplup is Amadeus
    Pinyta is Maddeline
    Kricketune is Vivaldi
    Cranidos is Requiem
    Bidoof is Pauline
    Luxio is Brahms
    Staravia is Clara

On diamond I named Pokémon after epic associations. For example, Dialga (the lord of time) was named Gallifrey after the doomed planet of the Time Lords in Doctor Who. You can’t get more epic than that.

15. NimhShambler

NimhShambler Fighting Type Prof.

Ah, hello again, everyone!

Though I don't have them (yet), I plan on naming my Medicham (but she'll be a meditite when I get her) Effie (Effie was a common name for women in ancient Rome) and my Hariyama (though he'll be a Makuhita when I get him) Enceladus (Enceladus was one of the Giants that Jupiter buried under Aetna).

I also have thirteen other hitmonchans in Crystal, but I'm not going to go through all their names here...(They all came from different versions....took a while to get them all.)

Oh. To you who name them after Trek Characters:
    You all are freakin' awesome.

16. Profesco

Profesco gone gently

For a long while, we fruitlessly directed newcomers with nickname threads to the generation-specific sections, where almost each of them has its very own topic dedicated to nicknames. But so many people arrived in GPD without paying attention that we eventually gave up and allowed a nicknames thread to live here, in Poke Polls. Voila. One would think that this, too, might stop the influx of nickname-related threads, but alas, we do still get them from time to time. Perhaps we always will. *sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.