• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nickelodeon to air new TMNT Cartoon; Now owns global rights to franchise

Chris

Old Coot
Source: http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/21/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-gets-new-animated-tv-series/

Nickelodeon has picked up the global rights for “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” from the Mirage Group and 4Kids Entertainment in a deal reportedly worth $60 million.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Nickelodeon will produce a new “Turtles” CG-animated TV series in 2012 to coincide with the new live-action “Turtles” movie. The current “TMNT” animated series will continue to air on The CW network’s Saturday lineup through August 2010.

"’Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ shares a comedic sensibility with the Nickelodeon DNA,” explained Nickelodeon President Cyma Zarghami. "We are extremely happy to have the opportunity to be able to focus on this property and creatively re-introduce it to a new generation of kids."

Under the terms of the agreement, Nickelodeon has also acquired all of the merchandising rights for the “Turtles”, including a longstanding action figure deal with Playmates.

Last year, we brought you someof the first news regarding the upcoming “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” live action/CG-hybrid movie which will be released by Paramount and scheduled to hit in 2012.

“Young Guns” and "The Forbidden Kingdom" screenwriter John Fusco is already onboard the new film, which will be a “reboot” of the classic “Turtles” origin story similar to “Batman Begins.”

This looks like this can either be a good thing or a total disaster for the Turtles.

In regards to the current series...

The deal means that The CW network will next summer lose its animated TMNT series, jointly produced by 4Kids and Mirage. It will continue to air on "TheCW4Kids" Saturday morning programming block through Aug. 31, 2010.

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
So... is it going to be on Nickelodeon the day after my birthday (08/30?)

BCVM22

Now, clear this up for me, Grumpy: with this deal, is TMNT now a Mirage property with the Nickelodeon/Viacom juggernaut behind it, or did Mirage just divest themselves of any and all control over and rights to the property?

BCVM22

So it's the latter, i.e. Mirage Studios no longer owns any interest in TMNT and the property belongs wholly and entirely to Nickelodeon/Viacom now?

How about that.

Chris

Old Coot
No idea about the comics, but it looks like at least Playmates and Ubisoft still own partial rights to the toys and games respectively.

4Kids isn't too happy about it.

In a memo to employees, 4Kids CEO Al Kahn said the move brings "mixed emotions, since our relationship with Mirage Studios and the property has been a long and mutually successful one, beginning with our relaunching the brand in 2002 to a new generation of Turtles fans."

Chris

Old Coot
I think what irks me is that the whole thing was sold off, rather than doing a split venture like with 4Kids. That and there's plans for a TV series to a movie that ISN'T EVEN CLOSE TO COMING OUT YET.

BCVM22

No idea about the comics

I don't know what Viacom's holdings in the publishing industry are like; is it possible that Mirage will remain as the publisher of the comics?

but it looks like at least Playmates and Ubisoft still own partial rights to the toys and games respectively.

Well, yeah... look at Playmates' list of brands and licenses. TMNT has to be (/have been) the backbone of their product line by a huge margin.

BCVM22

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, dammit! :mad:

And if you're Peter Laird and Mirage and Nickelodeon comes to you and says "we would like to buy TMNT from you and the deal involves you all receiving ungodly sums of money," are you really gonna say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, dammit! :mad:"?

Chris

Old Coot
I don't know what Viacom's holdings in the publishing industry are like; is it possible that Mirage will remain as the publisher of the comics?
No idea on that situation, to be honest. Guess we'll find out as the days come.

On a related, yet unrelated note, another series is getting a reboot of its own. With no pun intended ReBoot is getting a reboot in the form of a game.

And if you're Peter Laird and Mirage and Nickelodeon comes to you and says "we would like to buy TMNT from you and the deal involves you all receiving ungodly sums of money," are you really gonna say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, dammit! :mad:"?
Well, ever since the 80s cartoon, they've always been targeted by fans as "selling out."

BCVM22

On a related, yet unrelated note, another series is getting a reboot of its own. With no pun intended ReBoot is getting a reboot in the form of a game.

Say what?

Well, ever since the 80s cartoon, they've always been targeted by fans as "selling out."

"Selling out" is one of those sharp-sounding but tremendously subjective and arbitrary terms that get bandied about by jilted fans with opinions too big for their britches.

Yes.

It's not like I'm a fan of TMNT, it's just that any movie made from a show like that is going to fail.

Chris

Old Coot
Say what?
http://www.rainmaker.com/?/home/work/6

"Selling out" is one of those sharp-sounding but tremendously subjective and arbitrary terms that get bandied about by jilted fans with opinions too big for their britches.
Pretty much. On the plus side with that case, it helped introduce a ton of kids to the franchise and made it extremely popular.

Though with this case it seems a bit too early to tell. With the 4Kids cartoon, the creators kept a watchful eye over the series' to make sure everything went well. But with Nick having total control...this could pretty much go either way.

Yes.

It's not like I'm a fan of TMNT, it's just that any movie made from a show like that is going to fail.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=teenagemutantninjaturtles.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tnmt2.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tmntcg.htm

I'm sorry, what?

Last edited:

BCVM22

Last edited:

Chris

Old Coot
Exactly. It's been made into several successful TV series', movies, action figures and video games.