1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nickname your pokémon?

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by Buuz, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Buuz

Buuz Smash Trainer

Nickname your pokémon?

Let's get right to it. Do you nickname your pokémon and if so, what names do you give them? I'll start.

male Emboar: Bacon
    female Charizard: Charla
    male Arcanine: Simon (named after my reallife dog)

I am thinking about names for my female Chandelure (Charlotte or Chantal) and female Volcarona. Heatran cannot be nicknamed as he came from Sinnoh.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Endolise

Endolise TengenToppaBoogaloo

Rarely do I ever nickname my Pokemon, but when I do, I generally use a semi-clever portmanteau. For example, I nicknamed my Emboar "Blazorback," which is a portmanteau of blaze + razorback.

Also, at my girlfriend's suggestion, I once named my Hydreigon "Trioxcyde," because 1) it's the name of a chemical compound, 2) tri- refers to its three heads, 3) -cyde comes form "homocide," referring to its brutal nature, and 4) the I in -cide is swapped with a Y both for stylish purposes and because of the Y in its original name.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Eldritch Abomination

I try to nickname them, but I am not very creative... I tend to take a show or a game that I like and name the Pokémon after them.
    For example, in one of my Black run, I named my Pokémon as Godzilla kaijus. Volcarona was named Mothra, Hydreigon as Gidora, etc.

In my last Leaf Green run I named them after Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica characters. LOL

4. mjjfan10

mjjfan10 Pokemon Trader

I usually nickname my Pokemon. (Usually only team Pokemon, though.)
    Emboar (F): Blaze (Fire types are pretty much always named Blaze, I have no clue why I do it. xD)
    Wailord (M): Bubbles
    Lucario (F): Aura
    Eelektrick (F): Tyke (Back from when it was a Tynamo)
    (Ugh I don't have my DS w/ me so I'm getting the last two confused w/ my Black and White teams. Orz)

White 2: (I only nicknamed 2 team Pokemon on there)
    Serperior (F): はる
    Arcanine (F): Blaze

5. The Admiral

The Admiral sans visage

I do sometimes. Usually I name them after characters from other series. For example, I have a Kingler named Spycrab; I named Golurk "Megadeus" (after the mechs from The Big O), etc. Others end up as puns, like Excadrill being named Sandman -- cf. its abilities. Also a reference to the myth and to the role in Logan's Run (because, as we all know, Excadrill hits like a truck).

6. Buuz

Buuz Smash Trainer

Awh, calling your Wailord bubbles is actually kind of cute. Good choice! But yeah, only nicknaming your team might not be a bad idea. Otherwise you'd have to name ALL your pokémon. Imagine doing that when trying to catch them all. .___.

7. Dragalge

Dragalge This is more than 20 characters long

I rarely do nicknames but one time I nicknamed my Charizard Po. Most recent nicknaming was on my Black 2 Team where my team was nicknamed after a few good friends of mine on these forums.

8. Watchog

Watchog Lv. 50

Yes, Always. All of them.

9. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

For my Black 2 run, I named all of my Pokemon after They Might Be Giants albums. I ended up with Flood the Samurott, Lincoln the Magnezone, Mink Car the Arcanine, Apollo 18 the Espeon, The Else the Gliscor, and John Henry the Scrafty.

For my White 2 run, I'm just naming my 'mons whatever comes to mind when they're caught.

10. PrincessPeachy

PrincessPeachy Princess in Training

I nickname everything I catch.
    I always go for food. My female Chimchar was Pumpkin, female Torchic Paprika, female Mareep Cupcake, etc. Though the legendaries I always name after Greek Gods...
    I always have trouble with naming electric and steel types though that isn't lame names like 'zapper' or 'charger'.

11. Archangel Azazel

Archangel Azazel Fallen Angel

I started nicknaming them on fifth gen so.. its pretty new to moi. I like it so far ^_^

Well I have recently started Firered and so far i have Pikachu as Volt, Nidorina as Toxic, Ivysaur as Razor, and Zubat as Poison. :p

12. 725roy

725roy ambivolent

For my Black 2 Play-through I named my team after their Phonetic spelling from Japanese to English...
    ------------------------------------
    My team was:
    Mizukishi (Water Knight) the Samurott
    Tenohira (Palm) the Lucario
    Yakuza (Gangster, in honor of my friend) the Arcanine
    Dokufurai (Poison Fly) the Crobat
    Saryu (Sand Dragon) the Flygon
    Borutobagu (Volt Bug) the Galvantula
    ---------------------------------------
    But yeah. I did this only for my main members, I try to give other creative nickname themes too. Like with my Virizion being named Wireless. (Verizon Wireless)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  13. I always nickname my Pokemon.

My White2 team is:
    Helen the Emboar (Named after Mt. St. Helen)
    Annie the Audino (Don't know)
    Pecan the Ampharos (Guess she's nuts) *Slapped*
    Katana the Bisharp (Weapon!)
    Dusky the Banette (Don't know)

Usually I'm uncreative with names like Toto the Feraligatr or Scar the Cacturne.

14. I nickname my Pokemon based on monsters from the Godzilla franchise.

Most notable ones:

Sceptile - Godzilla (mainly 2000)
    Butterfree - Mothra
    Wingull - Rodan
    Feraligatr - Zilla (American Godzilla)

And today I caught Zekrom/Kyurem and named my Black Kyurem Orga.

15. MetalSonic

MetalSonic Orderan' Defendan'

Black 2 is as follows;

Samurott (Hakumen)
    Mienshao (Rein)
    Chandelure (Oshare'G)
    Lilligant (Petulia) (of course)
    Swoobat (AllSmiles)
    Beartic (some japanese letters? I dunno)

one helluva nuzlocke it was

16. zozo

zozo SLIMED!

Heh, that's precisely what I do. :D

The only Pokemon I don't nickname are ones from breeding, the dream radar, or others where the "Would you like to give your Pokemon a nickname?" option doesn't come up immediately AND I'm not going to use it in a team.

So yeah, if I catch a Pokemon just to "catch them all", it gets a nickname. Not always the greatest name ever, but it gets a name. However, I spend more time on names for Pokemon I know I'm going to use on a team. Often, I like taking names from games I've played before. For example, in White2:

Zeal the Snivy (f) - a reference to Chrono Trigger, both because my Trainer is Schala and because Zeal is the Pokemon that I always use to access the Dream World
    GreenDream the Leavanny (f) - another Chrono Trigger reference because of Leavanny's green hue and the fact that they're often found in forests
    Astaroth the Whirlipede (m) - Soul Calibre reference. Both because of the way he tears up the battlefield and because it sounds cool
    Coralie the Shuckle (f) - a name from an Agatha Christie book I quite enjoyed, mostly because I've always felt that Shuckles look like they're based on coral polyps. MASSIVE coral polyps, but whatever...
    Ayla the Dwebble (f) - I was disappointed to have gotten a female Dwebble, because I've never seen a pokemon species as unfeminine as Crustle. So, I dove into my Chrono Trigger past and gave her the name of the manliest woman I've ever seen.

If I have to, I will "create" nicknames of my own without relying on past games, but I find this really hard to do properly. Some examples are Pink Drink the Miltank, Dreamheart the Musharna, Jugger the Onix, Dune Dude the Sandile, etc.

17. kyoopa

kyoopa Imma effing LANDORUS

I have too many nicknamed pokemon to put here so ill just put in some of them:
    SHELLY- From preowned Diamond. Migrated from Kanto, OT is BUTTS.
    Speedy- Infernape in Platinum.
    Flare- Emboar in Black.
    Wotter- Dewott in White.
    MR. NIDO- Nidoking migrated from Kanto in preowned Diamond, probably obtained from one of the in game trades.

18. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Well-Known Member

I think nicknames are stupid, at least most of the ones I see mentioned here are. So I never use them.

19. auteur

auteur Fossil freak

I started to do it this Generation, and even if most of my names are dumb, I still got hooked to nicknaming. I love the fact that I nicknamed my Samurott Toshiro, in honor of Toshiro Mifune.

I nicknamed mine Charlotte, because it starts with Cha- and it sounds classy and elegant to me, fitting a chandelier.

20. WillieNelson

WillieNelson Well-Known Member

I nickname my non-legendaries. My Black 2 team is Anubis the Lucario, Angel the Cinccino (MLP referance) and Virizion the Virizion.