• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nicknames?

Sabonea_Masukippa

Well, I began training my Exeggute today, and realised I had called it "Fegg." I get the egg, but not the F. I thought is was a really strange nickname - I think it was because I caught it by accident in Safari Zone. I also have a Cherrim called Eponine, which is a Les Mis reference, but choosing Cherrim? I don't know why...

So I was wondering two things:
1) What do you guys think of nicknaming your pokemon? Do you do it for everyone or just a few?
2) What are some of the strangest/funniest nicknames you've come across for pokemon, or that you've named yourself?

Anyway, I tend to nickname all of my pokemon, even the legends, although I just use their official names with only the 1st letter capital.

Last edited:

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I do nickname some Pokemon that I like. I usually don't, though, especially if it's a random Pokedex capture that I'll never look at again.

I can't remember many strange ones except when my brother took my Emerald without me knowing and caught a Wurmple and named it something offensive -___-

Vanetia

Pokemon Breeder
I started out nicknaming every pokemon I caught. Then I just ran out of ideas and stopped caring as much, lol.

I have a pair of Jigglypuffs named Wiggles and Jiggles, and I named a female ponyta Amalthea. I have quite a few different nicknamed pokes still floating in storage, but I don't bother anymore unless it's going to be on my actual team.

keaki17

Edge Of Glory
LOL

I name my Safari pokemon

Um i think Booty or Boots- for a teddiursa
um i think Mama for a Ledian/lediba

LOL

Dattebayo

Banned
I usually nickname the legendary Pokemon I caught (with the exception of the legendary birds and the Regis). I nicknamed my Luxray "Simba" because they're both lions, and I also nicknamed my Sharpedo "Jaws" because they're both killing machines.

Hydro King

The Water Master
Well, I nickname only very few of my Pokemon that I think a nickname would suit.
One of the funniest nicknamed Pokemon I can think of is my brother's Abra. He called it Mr. Moony. (a star character in the "I love Lucy" TV series) The way he'd reffered to it was hilarious!:)

Vanetia

Pokemon Breeder
I usually nickname the legendary Pokemon I caught (with the exception of the legendary birds and the Regis). I nicknamed my Luxray "Simba" because they're both lions, and I also nicknamed my Sharpedo "Jaws" because they're both killing machines.

Ahaha! I named my Shinx "Mufasa"

jirachiken

lots of luv!
I usually know what my pokemon's nicknames will be before I catch them, but if I had no ideas, I just name them random things. I called my Chimchar "Chester" on my Pearl version.

I name my starters (which are ALWAYS fire) Flames. I don't name the legendaries; a mere nickname is not worthy of their power. It also decreases their trading value ;)

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I nickname all my Pokemon!
Weirdest Nickname given by me:
Gragrostel to my Burmy. (Grass, Ground, Steel, like the 3 different types of Burmies)

Flannery

Fire PkMn Trainer
I only nickname my shinies. I like giving them nicknames since they're different. As for the rest of my pokemon, I let them keep their normal names.

My favorite nickname is Skyla, for my black Rayquaza.

MetalMEB

I actually don't nickname my Pokemon, I think I used to though (I don't remember any of them... Except I think I nicknamed a Pinsir "Crusher" once)

Anaya

Synthesis
I never nickname mine. I use their natural name. But I do have a Togetic named Magic. And I used to have a bunch of Togepi named Moonlight and Sunshine and other weird things like that. :p.

neo_senku

i nick name all pokemon that i train seriously

some of my more inventive nicknames are:

rastaplant - exeggutor
solomon - slowking
groove - ludicolo
big green - ludicolo
orpheus - starmie
crossclaw - metagross
pluto - weavile

Profesco

gone gently
I think the Pokemon's original names are creative enough, so I generally don't nickname any of mine. I did nickname my team in my best second-gen game, my Gold version. That was when I started reading the manga, so their nicknames all followed a pattern:

Meganium- Meganium (I couldn't bear to change it)
Hypno- Hypny
Umbreon- Umby
the red Gyarados- Red Dosy
Ho-Oh- Hoey-Oh
Scizor- Scizzy

In the Kanto Safari Zone I caught 30+ Nidos and eventually started calling them Nido100, Nido101, and so on just for storage purposes.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I called my Palkia "Pal" originaly because it was the first part of its name. Then it DID become my "Pal!":),
I called Giratina "Gyro" Becuase it fits with Giratina.,
I called Dialga "Squeek" Becuase of it's cry.,
I called my Empolen "Julius" Becuse Julius Ceaser was an Emporer,
I called my Torterra "Yurtle" and Blastiose "Cecil" Both turtle names,
I call Every fire Stater Ethier "Passion" If a Girl and "Infreno" If a boy,
I call every other water stater "Kipper" If a boy, "Graceful" if a girl,
I call Magainuim and Venusaur "Vines",
I call Sceptile "Sneaky",
and then the rest is random

I nickname all of my Pokemon. Some of my favorite names I've given are...

Totie - Feraligatr (M)
Bolt - Feraligatr (M)
Florence - Feraligatr (F)
Axle - Feraligatr (M)
Raspberry - Pidgeot (F)
Strawberry - Swellow (F)
Blueberry - Staraptor (F)
Hickory - Staraptor (M)
Toadstool - Breloom (F)
Mudster - Swampert (M)
Hungry Bob - Swampert (M)
Cuno-Uno - Articuno
Daren - Blaziken (M)
Peepers - Blaziken (F)
Harbor - Sharpedo (F)
Fang - Sharpedo (M)
Big Purple - Aggron (F)
Big Blue - Aggron (M)
Cappy - Chimecho (M)
Little One - Chimecho (M)
Andy - Gardevoir (M)
Arkie - Nidoking (M)
Prickles - Nidoking (M)
Smasher - Metagross
Bullet - Metagross
Midnight - Dusknoir (F)
Jet - Yanmega (F)
Carbon - Weavile (F)
Buddy - Gyarados (M)
Bubbles - Gyarados (F)
Cutie - Blissey (F)
Sweetie - Blissey (F)
Tama - Tyranitar (M)
Boulder - Tyranitar (F)
Slinky - Dragonite (M)
Slink - Dragonite (M)
Slinko - Salamence (M)
Ghost - Salamence (M)
Alpha - Uxie
Beta - Azelf
Gamma - Mesprit
Tempest - Lucario (M)
Santiago - Torterra (M)
Diego - Torterra (M)
Bandit - Linoone (F)
Acuzio - Anorith (M)
Leroy - Aerodactyl (M)
Spooky - Gengar (F)
Digit - Porygon-Z
Snooze - Snorlax (F)
Calypso - Cradilly (F)
Clyde - Mightyena (M)
Scarlet - Absol (F)
Guava - Garchomp (F)
Banjo - Skarmory (F)
Ukulele - Skarmory (M)
Blaze - Charizard (M)
Jalapeno - Charizard (M)
Vern - Venusaur (M)
Shelldon - Blastoise (M)
Pumpkin - Heracross (F)
Spirit - Mismagius (F)
Magic - Mismagius (F)
Tons-O-Fun - Electrode
Opal - Octillery (F)
Retrovirus - Weezing (F) (RETROVIRUS!!!11!!)
Tsunami - Wailord (F)
Crickette - Flygon (F)
Delta - Flygon (M)
Rayo - Zapdos
Fuego - Moltres
(I shoulda named Articuno 'Hielo' .... but Cuno-Uno is too fun to say)
Spike - Manectric (M)
Kyle - Typhlosion (M)
Cinders - Typhlosion (F)
Jerome - Meganium (M)
Shimmer - Ninetales (F)
Miles - Ninetales (M)
Alice Slam - Medicham (F)

I name the box legendaries after the version they represent. So... I have Sapphire the Kyogre, Pearl the Palkia, Emerald the Rayquaza, and Ruby the Groudon. (My Lugia and Ho-oh were traded to me, so I can't rename them... :< But back in Gold/Crystal, I had Rainbow the Ho-oh, Aurora the Suicune, and Buzzy the Lugia so those are exceptions...)

Last edited: