1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nicknaming Pokémon

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by azrael07, Dec 23, 2017.

1. azrael07

azrael07 Active Member

Nicknaming Pokémon

Where do you fall on Nicknaming your Pokémon? Do you prefer to nickname yours, or do you prefer to take an approach similar to the Anime, and not nickname your Pokémon? What kind of nicknames do you give your Pokémon if you do?

2. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Out of habit I nickname all my Pokemon. When it comes to my team-mates, it usually comes down to finding a thematically fitting nickname for said Pokemon. Or just something on my mind at the time

3. Nockturne

Nockturne Well-Known Member

I usually nickname them now because I'm almost always nuzlocking, but when I was a kid I never bothered because I always just preferred the real names to anything I came up with. And I actually found it annoying that ingame trades had nicknames, especially when that was the only was of obtaining the pokemon in the game. Looking at you Lola the Jynx and Marcel the Mr Mime

4. brandyballclub

brandyballclub Master Of Legends

My whole Pokemon career I've never nicknamed my Pokemon. I just like to keep it simple I guess haha.

5. KraiRaida

KraiRaida Member

I usually nickname my Pokemon after Mucha Lucha characters and mostly magical girl characters/references.

6. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

I nickname all of my Pokémon. I don't consider myself too creative when it comes to names, so I usually go more for normal names, though I make a better effort for the actual team. The one nickname that's always been consistent is "Mousey" for Azumarill, for some reason. I'm not sure why I can't bring myself to name it differently in each game file. Might be due to memories of owning an Azumarill in my Silver version and she being the first Pokémon I've ever leveled to 100.

7. Kirby Dragons

Kirby Dragons Well-Known Member

I always nickname all my Pokémon. Generally, I give them nicknames based on the first thing I think before or when I see them. That's why many of my Pokémon have nicknames that don't make the least bit of sense, not even to me.

8. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

I always name all my Pokémon after places in Canada, whether they're part of my team or just catching them for the Dex. I always call the Grass starters Toronto/Oshawa/Ottawa, the Fire starters Montreal/Longueuil/Quebec, and the Water starters Vancouver/Vernon/Salmon Arm. That's if they're male, of course, which is most of the time.

9. Sprinter1988

Sprinter1988 Well-Known Member

It's something that I never do on the first play-through of a game, especially if its a new region as keeping their normal names helps me to learn them. However I am nicknaming pokemon more and more these days.

Over time I've come up with nicknames that have just stuck so whenever I get a specific pokemon, it ends up with that nickname - for example, Bulbasaur is always Cabbage, a female Quagsire is Natalie and a male is Newton, a male Crobat ends up being Nightwing, a female is Batgirl.

Sometimes when coming up with nicknames I try to be clever and research the animal the pokemon is based on for ideas. For example, Empoleon takes a fair amount of inspiration from the emperor penguin. The Latin name for the emperor penguin is Aptenodytes forsteri - the forsteri bit is in honour of the German naturalist Johann Reinhold Forster, who in his time described and names five other species of penguin, including the Little Pegnuin, the Gentoo Penguin, the Chinstrap Penguin the Magellanic Penguin and the Southern Rockhopper Penguin. That last one, along with other crested penguins like the Macaroni Penguin, is the other main influence on the design of Empoleon. Therefore I have taken to calling any male Empoleon I get Forster.

Other times I am completely unimaginative, resulting in Boo the Gengar, Dave the Dugtrio, Penelope the Pidgeot and Zazzles the Zigzagoon.

10. M.P.

M.P. Ghastly Gamer

I rarely nickname my Pokemon: I can't come up with good enough nicknames. I have only nicknamed my Pokemon in a playthrough I did in another site.

11. Kyuu-Tales

Kyuu-Tales 織田信長☆FAN

I've been nicknaming Pokemon variously since Gen IV, when I started playing the Japanese versions. I didn't do it that much to start, but when I did, I would use anime and video game characters I liked as namesakes. In Gen VI, I named my main teams after pre-modern Japanese provinces. In the original Gen VII titles, I went ahead and named practically everything I caught, with names running the gamut from bizarre to simple. But most recently in USUM, I named my teams after Saint Seiya characters.

12. Forbidden Snowflake

Forbidden Snowflake take it out on me

Best thing ever.

13. Cat's Eye Draco

Cat's Eye Draco Well-Known Member

I've never really bothered much with nicknaming my Pokemon, but on the occasions I do feel like nicknaming them I generally use shortened versions of their species name: Sol for an Absol, Char for a Charizard, Luca, Cari, or Rio for a Lucario, etc.

14. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I give nicknames based on several things. Usually they are puns, play on a celebrity’s name, or something that describes the Pokémon that sets it apart from the others I have of it such as part of an Egg Move in its name or what it can do. Occasionally I give out random nicknames but I generally like to think about a name before handing it out. Every game I own has to have a Ditto named Xerox and a Mankey/Primape named F. (for Furious) George barring the original Hoenn games, an Absol called Cassandra, a Jigglypuff named Cuddles, and a Chansey named Lady Luck minus the original Hoenn Games.

15. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

I often have a nickname theme for every play I do, particularly my first play of a game. For example, in one run in Pearl I named all my pokemon after Tekken characters, while in a run in X I named them after Game of Thrones characters.

Even when I don't decide to nickname my pokemon, the one exception is always Umbreon, who I always name Persephone.

16. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

I will occasionally nickname Pokemon.

I nicknamed my Pokemon Moon Litten (now Incineroar) Pyromidnight, after my cat Midnight, who is no longer with me. Now I have a Pokemon to remember him by.

PrinceOfFacade likes this.
  17. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

I almost never nickname my Pokémon, rather preferring to go by their original names. But whenever I nickname Pokémon, I nickname my Pokémon after memes (which a lot should be pretty dead by now) or just a nickname that sounds close to the Pokémon name.

18. Requiem Aeternam

Requiem Aeternam Dance like an eggplant!

I always nickname important Pokemon (starters, bred Pokemon, in-game team Pokemon etc) but I don't bother nicknaming breejects, Pokemon I catch to fill up the PokeDex, Pokemon I catch to trade or shinies I don't plan on using. When I nickname my Pokemon I like to name them after characters I like, enemies NPCs from other games or something to do with their specie or design influence. I usually try to use the different nicknames for the same Pokemon in different games but sometimes I use the same name. For example: all my in-game Talonflame (Fly/Flame Body) share the same nickname in X, Y, AS, Moon and Ultra Moon, but my Weavile have different nicknames in OR, Moon and Ultra Moon.

19. •Cute Pokemon Lover•

•Cute Pokemon Lover• Just wait for it

I've always nicknamed my pokemon just letting them not be nicknamed seems so bland...

I really like having a backstory to the nicknames they're like my children if I only capture one without the intent of raising it then I wouldn't name them at all.

20. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I never nickname my Pokemon, as it seems pointless to me. I think the concept works better in the manga than in the games themselves, and speaking of which, I dislike in-game trades since the received Pokemon all have nicknames.