• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nicknaming Pokémon

ThatzShynee

Moonstone
I nickname all of my shinies. I like to use names that aren’t super common but are lovely ie: Tickle,hiccup,giggle

gofishyfish

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
During my play through of the game, I nickname every. Single. Pokemon. Every one! Even if they just sit in the box forever. But, after I finish the main game and I've basically settled on a team for running through the post game, I get lazy and forget to name everything. But I will say, it makes for some fun times looking back on the Pokemon you catch in the run through. Like, "Why tf did I name this Pokemon 'cheese puff'" or something like that

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I generally nickname my Pokemon. Sometimes I don't though if I'm soft resetting for a shiny. Then I can go and name it later. It depends. As for names, sometimes I use mythological ones and sometimes more general ones.

Queen Masty

Whenever I nickname pokemon I always try to be clever about it. The only pokemon that I don't nickname are legendary pokemon and Pokemon that I catch but don't use on my team

Manchee

extra toasty
I used to never nickname my Pokémon, but since White I think I've nicknamed them every single game. It's really fun, in my opinion, especially if you really get into your team. I like to give them nicknames based on the kind of Pokémon they are, but sometimes I'll have a theme going and nickname them all based on singers, or book characters, etc. I find that themes can occasionally make me less interested, though, and I'm not sure why. It's just a little too specific in some instances and then it isn't fun. But overall I like it, and try to not think very hard about it!

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
I nickname all my Pokemon. To me, this just makes them feel more like my own Pokemon. Some names are based of their origin, some are book references, some are old favourites I used the first time I caught that species and continue to use, and some are well and truly random, like the Ponyta I named Ovencakes. On my White 2 my main team are all nicknamed after their names in other languages :)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Let me just add something: I haven't always named all my Pokémon after Canadian places. When I was younger, I didn't really have a set naming scheme. I don't even remember what I named my Blaziken in my first playthrough of Ruby. :/

starbeet

I used the poke bank around the same time i started breed so my good pokes couldn't be nickname because of the trade rule; so since then none of my pokes get nicknames. I like poke nicknames that sound like gamer tags, but unless they change the trade rule I'll likely never do it, "uniformity"

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
My favorite nicknames I have given out are Miss Fame the female Torchic after a contestant on Rupaul’s Drag Race that loves chickens, LOVE ME!!!! the Mimikyu, Cyndi the female Cyndaquil after the singer Cyndi Lauper, Pincushion the Cacnea, Xerox the Ditto, Sailor Moon the Crescelia, F. (for Furious) George the Mankey/Primape, Chatty Cathy the Chatot, Marjory the Garbodor after a character from Fraggle Rock, Ambush the Shiny Durant because it literally ambushed me, Missing Keys the Klefki, Cassandra the Absol, JimiBuffet the Wobbuffet, Mr. Slithers the Ekans as a pun of Mr Smithers, Flamewar the Chandelure, Draco Pyro the Charizard, And R. Mika the female Incineroar.

gentwoer

Typically I don't nickname my Pokemon unless it's a Pokemon I'm trading into NPC (like Drowzee for a Machop to fight Whitney's Miltank or Spearow for the Vermillion City girl's Farfetch'd for Pokedex completion) in which case I usually nickname them somehting insulting to the NPC.

One of the days I think I might actually nickname my Pokemon during a playthrough and see if it makes me more attached or whatever

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I never really nicknamed my Pokemon until I played X and I nicknamed all of the Pokemon I used in my playthrough. Now, it would be weird for me to not nickname my Pokemon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
For some reason I always nickname my Butterfree Wormy from Spongebob

Reyzadren

Dark trainer
I give nicknames to the 6 pokemon on my team, and they are always the same name for that slot position, regardless of game/species.

For example, the pokemon in slot 1 is always nicknamed "Laptop", and it was a drapion (Pokemon White 2/Y) or a scrafty (Pokemon Black).

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I always nickname my Pokemon. I feel it creates a deeper bond among me and my squad.

AuroraBeam

I love nicknaming my pokemon. Though my names range in their cleverness or originality. I've always proudly called my Umbreons "Lunairia" but the Manectric on my in-game Alpha Sapphire is simply named "Fang". :redface:

If I'm not being serious, I'll try to give jokey names like "Weak2Evrythn" the Amaura... :p

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I rarely nickname my Pokemon, because I'm not that good at coming up with nicknames. However, in my recent Crystal playthrough, I nicknamed my Feraligatr Snappy, Vaporeon Bubblegun, Flareon Fireball, and Umbreon Lurky.

Tiffo

Geeky Pokemon Master
I don't really nickname mine either because in the anime they don't really use nicknames and I sort of just went with that, it's also why I always try to capture everything in a pokeball. The only time I nicknamed pokemon was during nuzlockes which I did every now and then.

Vroomer

No nicknames for me. I like having my Pokemon named what they are.

If I trade them, you're welcome to nickname them if you so desire.