• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nicknaming Pokémon

M.E.R.255

Triangle Face
I never really nicknamed mine, but if I played the older games again, I'd try to nickname all my Pokemon this time, just to make the experience a little different. ^^
For whatever reason, I want to name Chikorita ;152; Spanky. XDDD Maybe because she's so small and can use her vines in the Anime that she may whip some wrongdoers into shape. XD

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Meowth - Tom
Pikachu - Jerry

Care to guess this reference?

I always nickname all the Pokemon in my team, makes them unique

my usual nicknames:
either fox or cat or mustelid names from cartoon/movies I like
at times I'll look up unique names or look up football player names for ideas

PsychoKing47

I only ever tend to nickname shinies, personally, as I feel they're unique enough to justify it, whereas an in-game team generally isn't outside of your starter. I much prefer the actual names most of the time anyway, especially compared to whatever unimaginative nonsense I would come up with.

Smokin' weedle

Usually i only nickname mons that i use in a set team, mons that I switch around don't get one. I like it when thier nicknames match, but most of the time i just call them something in latin, with something that they resemble. One of my personal favourites is my jellicent. On showdown it's called 'Mare exspiravit' (literally translated see ghost). In-game i would call it exspiravit

Anthony Berardi

I nickname the ones I use for battle & I try to keep it appropriate to what they are or what they look like. I called my Incineroar "Manimal" cause he's like an animal that stands on two legs like a man...that sort of thing. Sometimes I just use cool names like my Type: Null is "Orion" cause they are supposed to hunt legendaries...that sort of thing

abby_ella

I usually don't nickname my Pokemon. But I'm replaying through Diamond right now, and I just nicknamed a Bidoof "Bidoom." Going to be awesome once it levels up.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I always nickname mine. My best ones are

Torterra - Captain Planet (Cpt Planet)
Luxray - Copperdog
Sporesaur - Venusaur
Bellyzard - Charizard
Spintoise - Blastoise
Kit-Kat - Kadabra

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I nickname the Pokémon I use as permanent team members, as well as the ones I use for online battles.

I don’t usually have a theme or anything. Recently nicknamed a Tepig ‘Oi’ and another one ‘Basil’. Usually end up renaming any Ampharos I own ‘Lemon Drop’, though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm doing a nuzlocke challenge on Black version right now, so for once I'm giving my Pokemon nicknames. I'm simply giving them food related names that quickly come to mind (i.e. Cookie the Tepig).

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I'm doing a nuzlocke challenge on Black version right now, so for once I'm giving my Pokemon nicknames. I'm simply giving them food related names that quickly come to mind (i.e. Cookie the Tepig).

Avoiding pork related names I see? That's great! I usually name Tepig (if playing a Nuzlocke) either Ares, Baconator, or Pumbaa.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
If I do a theme for nicknames it's usually various gods, goddesses, Heroes, monsters, demons, Etc from various myths.

However, the nickname as be able to fit the Lore, design, maybe move pool and abilities, of that Pokemon. That means I won't go around naming Zubat Thor. Camazotz, on the other hand Works perfectly with Zubat.

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
I'm usually too lazy to nickname them. But on occasion I'll do it. Usually, their actual names suit me just fine.

My first Pokemon game was Sapphire, and I nicknamed my Mudkip Squirt. This, in my middle-schooler eyes, was a very creative nickname. :p I'm still really attached to him, though, as he was my first. I've thought of doing a "Squirt Jr." at some point, if I ever acquire another Mudkip.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I always nickname them. It gives them a sense of personality that makes them a bit more ... unique.

For instance, in my last full playthrough, I used an Incineroar, which I named "Mike Haggar", from the Final Fight series of beat 'em ups. My sister who did a playthrough alongside mine bred a shiny Litten (which she evolved into Incineroar, obviously) named hers Zangeif, after the Russian grappler from the Street Fighter series. The whole idea was that both characters are big, muscle-bound brawlers.

Another example is my pride and joy, my Shiny Mawile (Adamant natured, hidden ability, 31 IV in HP and Attack) which I named Dancer, after an old dancing Mawile animation from Creative Worlds.

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
Well, I usually get both versions for a very sad reason. In the one that's me (usually the dark coloured version--Blue, Silver (later Crystal), Sapphire, Leaf Green, Black, X. Ultra Sun is the only exception), I always use Fighting Types exclusively. I give them Greek/Roman names.

In the other version that represents (sad part) my dead brother (usually the warm coloured version--Red, Gold, Ruby, Fire Red, White. The exception being Ultra Moon), I use only Ghost types and Dark types. I give them Norse or Norse-sounding (usually taken from Skyrim) names.

For instance, in Ultra Sun, my team is:
Sertorius (Hitmonchan), Effie (Medicham), Reglius (Scrafty), Ariadne (Breloom), Gamma (Toxicroak), and Alapa (Kommo-o).

In Ultra Moon, the team is
Hlin (Bisharp), Sjobjorn (Mimikyu), Lund (Umbreon), Sylgja (Chandelure), Nurnhilde (Banette), and Angrenor (Krokorok).

PirateKing

For my playthrough of Kanto, I had a theme where I nicknamed each of my Pokemon after natural disasters

Blastoise - Tidalwave
Pidgeot - Tornado
Arcanine - Wildfire
Gengar - Psyclone
Rhydon - Tremor
Jolteon - Aftershock

After that, whenever I use any of the originals, I always tried to keep the theme going, so now I have an entire box of Kanto mons named after every mildly inconvinient
weather hazard imaginable lol

For my USUM playthrough, I went with a mostly tropical theme
A-Raichu - Shinesprite
Lanturn - Delfino
Pangoro - Maui
Talonflame - Krakatoa

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I nickname almost all of my Pokemon and the names vary in quality.
Some examples:

Ambipom- Handy
Popplio- Popstar
Palkia- Pearl
Yveltal- Y
Quagsire- Quaggy
Camerupt (shiny)- Pompeii
Clefable- Fairy
Stunfisk- I'm Flat!
Buneary- Bunbun
Florges- Sectonia
Vespiquen- Sectonia
Chikorita- Jirachi
Lucario- SandyCandy (I have no idea what this one meant)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I usually just go with whatever feels right at the moment. I have some names I always have to in each game though. I always need a Ditto named Xerox, a female Absol named Cassandra, a Jigglypuff named Cuddles, Chansey named Lady Luck, And a Mankey named F. (For Furious) George.