• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nicknaming traded Pokemon?

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
My Ninetales, arguably my most prized Pokemon, which I got from a GTS trade as a level 1 Vulpix, is named Ninetales (after I evolved it), and I'd really love to be able to rename it to something personal to me.

If this ever gets implemented, I'd like to see something similar to the ribbons page added, where instead of ribbons it lists all the former nicknames the pokemon had.

Thus, If the Pokemon's been traded multiple times, it'd be really neat to see each former trainers twist on the Pokemon's name.
Omg yes, that actually sounds like something Game Freak would do.

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I don't really have a problem with the all caps names. It just never bothered me

Missingno.Fan

I wish they would allow you to change the nickname because sometimes the nicknames are really stupid. I wanted to change the names of the Pokemon you receive during in game trades so badly back in Gen I.

Teapot

Sweaty Toad
If this ever gets implemented, I'd like to see something similar to the ribbons page added, where instead of ribbons it lists all the former nicknames the pokemon had.

Thus, If the Pokemon's been traded multiple times, it'd be really neat to see each former trainers twist on the Pokemon's name.

That'd be awesome. I really hope they do this in the future!

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I'd like to be able to rename traded Pokemon. I once got an Archen named 9993. I don't understand why they don't let us change names of traded Pokemon.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I once got traded an Absol named 'Swine Flu' when the H1N1 was going around. >_<

Nicknaming a pokemon something like that sounds like something me or one of my friends would do lol.

Anyway to make this post relevant to the opic, the nicknaming thing is fine in my opinion I don't trade for legends online and when I get something I breed it so it has my OT.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Don't change the nicknames of traded Pokemon that already have nicknames, but be able to nickname a traded Pokemon without one.

A nickname is a reflection of the OT's feelings for that Pokemon; logically, if a Pokemon has no nickname, the OT never felt anything for that Pokemon.

Teapot

Sweaty Toad
Nicknaming a pokemon something like that sounds like something me or one of my friends would do lol.

Anyway to make this post relevant to the opic, the nicknaming thing is fine in my opinion I don't trade for legends online and when I get something I breed it so it has my OT.
I guess some people are more bothered over OT names than nicknames, and vice versa. Its probably a matter of taste.

ebevan91

All we need is an option that will allow the Pokemon's nickname to be changed if traded.

For example

"Would you like to nickname the newly hatched Bulbasaur?"

[X]Yes
[ ] No

*player enters nickname*

"Can this Pokemon's nickname be changed if traded?"

[ ]Yes
[ ]No

There. Simple as that.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
Just get rid of the restriction all together if you ask me. Not only is a silly, as there is not real logical backing, real world or else wise, but as many people have mentioned migrating from previous games. Not only are the all caps names annoying, but the stupid names I gave many of my old starters when I was nine get old really fast, but because that Pokemon is traded, I can't do anything about it.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Don't change the nicknames of traded Pokemon that already have nicknames, but be able to nickname a traded Pokemon without one.

A nickname is a reflection of the OT's feelings for that Pokemon; logically, if a Pokemon has no nickname, the OT never felt anything for that Pokemon.
If the OT had feelings for that Pokemon, why are they trading it away? This is assuming a permanent trade, not one for evolution or similar circumstances where both sides have agreed to trade back after.
All we need is an option that will allow the Pokemon's nickname to be changed if traded.

For example

"Would you like to nickname the newly hatched Bulbasaur?"

[X]Yes
[ ] No

*player enters nickname*

"Can this Pokemon's nickname be changed if traded?"

[ ]Yes
[ ]No

There. Simple as that.
That wouldn't change anything because we'd still get Pokemon with stupid nicknames, and the OT would know that we can't change it, so they may have gave it a stupid nickname just because it means that someone will get a Pokemon with a stupid nickname. Some people are weird like that.

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
I would really like to be able to change nicknames of Pokemon with another OT/ID than the game it is on. I think the whole idea of the original trainers "love and feelings" or whatever for the Pokemon is really stupid and should be taken away. I would also like to be able to change the nickname of a Pokemon at any time, not just when you first recieve/catch it or at the Name Rater.

Teapot

Sweaty Toad
I would really like to be able to change nicknames of Pokemon with another OT/ID than the game it is on. I think the whole idea of the original trainers "love and feelings" or whatever for the Pokemon is really stupid and should be taken away. I would also like to be able to change the nickname of a Pokemon at any time, not just when you first recieve/catch it or at the Name Rater.

But, then the purpouse of the Name Rater would be diminished. If you could rename any Pokemon at any time, it wouldnt have that special "feeling" you get by nicknaming a Pokemon something you love. If you didnt like it, quickly altering it wouldnt feel very "ceremonial" as to flying all the way over to the Name Rater just to change one letter.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
If the OT had feelings for that Pokemon, why are they trading it away? This is assuming a permanent trade, not one for evolution or similar circumstances where both sides have agreed to trade back after.

Because they want someone else to have experiences with that Pokemon.

I'm not arguing that everything spewed by NPCs is correct. I'm just saying that if we're changing the system, it ought to make sense in-universe.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Because they want someone else to have experiences with that Pokemon.

I'm not arguing that everything spewed by NPCs is correct. I'm just saying that if we're changing the system, it ought to make sense in-universe.
If they wanted someone else to have an experiences with that Pokemon, then it is that person's experience, not the OT's, so they should be able to name the Pokemon what they want to make it more personal for them. And besides, look at these names people have said; Dave (a freshly hatched Tepig), 9993, Swine Flu, He-Man, Steve, He's yours, BOBBY and tell me that these people had experiences and feelings that they wanted to share.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
If they wanted someone else to have an experiences with that Pokemon, then it is that person's experience, not the OT's, so they should be able to name the Pokemon what they want to make it more personal for them.

Yet, the Pokemon was originally caught by the OT, and the OT willingly chose to imprint a personality of their choosing onto the Pokemon, hence why they bothered to nickname it in the first place, and why your changing it would slander the OT's vision for that Pokemon.

And besides, look at these names people have said; Dave (a freshly hatched Tepig), 9993, Swine Flu, He-Man, Steve, He's yours, BOBBY and tell me that these people had experiences and feelings that they wanted to share.

I don't know those people, so I don't know what they had in mind when they nicknamed their Pokemon. Some of those sound like names I give Pokemon; I don't see anything wrong with any of them.

PsychicPsycho

On the topic of ridiculous nicknames, I once was about to trade for a Mesprit on the GTS, until I noticed the name: yummypenis. Come on, really?

One that made me laugh was a Wailmer named 'fatty boom'.
If the OT had feelings for that Pokemon, why are they trading it away?
That's precisely what I was going to say.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
I hate OTs that aren't mine and nicknbames on PKMN. I once got an Umbreon named 'Poopoo' and it was justy so dissapointing b/c i traded a lvl 43 vaporeon.

Marco The Phoenix

Y Yes, I Watch Anime
I also dislike nicknames that are just, annoying. I once traded my carnivine for a drapion by the nickname of crackhead.

I mean, really. That's just annoying on purpose. No way they liked that pokemon.