• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nicknaming traded Pokemon?

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Does anyone else hope that Game Freak decides to add the ability to rename traded Pokemon, perhaps when you first received them? It could even be part of a passing the baton type thing, where when you traded a Pokemon and wanted to rename it, the recipient could enter in a name and the offerer could say yes or no, as it is still his or her Pokemon and he/she doesn't want it to have a horrible nickname. Sounds kind of gimmicky, but who knows. Thoughts?

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
I support this. One of the big turn-offs for trading has to be the nicknames - whenever I trade, I will get a Pokemon with a foreign name or a name that is just really stupid. I remember I traded for a Rayquyaza on Pearl and it had the nickname 'He-Man' - why on earth would you even nickname a Rayquaza that?

Teapot

Sweaty Toad
I support this too. I hate it when people give me Pokémon with random nicknames, or foreign Pokémon that are fully evolved (e.g A Japanese Blastoise)
I remember I traded for a Rayquyaza on Pearl and it had the nickname 'He-Man' - why on earth would you even nickname a Rayquaza that?
Once I got a newly-hatched Tepig... Called Dave

*~Silver*~

I couldn't agree more. It really irritates me that I can't nickname my traded Pokemon, and it's a huge part of the reason why I only trade with my friend. When she and I trade we agree on what Pokemon we're going to trade, we go into the Union Room, and we trade them with whatever nickname was requested. However, I would love to be doing trades with Global Link and get some great Pokemon that I would enjoy having with it, except that there's no way for me to name these Pokemon what I'd want them to be named...

Cloud_Arcanine

Scarlett starlett
It doesn't matter much to me as I end up breeding anyway. The ones with foreign characters come in handy, especially Ditto because if I ever want to attempt to breed for shiny Pokemon I know instantly which is the foreign.

I'm also tempted now to get a Tepig and call it Dave (sorry ShinyGirl, it could've been a lot worse though)

Trainer10913

The Ninja
I don't really mind either way. Sometimes I get Pokemon with weird names though.

I got a Lucario off GTS once, called Notch. The name of the person who sent it was called Creeper.

*shudder*

Gampi

ガンピ
I really see no point in adding in a function to rename traded Pokémon, since most of the Pokés I've receive off the GTS aren't even named.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Fixing dumb/odd nicknames would help, but I almost never nickname them myself. I just leave the Pokemon alone, but if I get one named Cookie, and it's a Dialga (just an example), I won't be very happy, lol.

WaterTypesFTW

Shiny Hunter
I agree as well. I recall getting a Zapdos named Steve... I dunno, Zapdos does not seem like a "Steve" to me so it bothered me and I really wished I could've changed it.

InsaneStar7

Technophile Trainer
Agree. Well.. having Pokémon with silly or weird names isn't the only problem. The other problem is the 3rd Gen and 4th Gen Pokémon games that all the Pokémon's names are all in caps. If you trade a non-5th Gen Pokémon into the 5th Gen games, the name will still be in caps unless you evolve your Pokémon in the 5th gen games and it's name will no longer be in caps.

I have all my Pokémon nicknamed in caps.

Last edited:

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Yeah, I don't know why the programmers took so long with the "All Caps" names. I wanted mixed cases a long time ago.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
You could always you know

breed the Pokémon to get a new one and nickname it to your desire (sans legendaries and others).

It isn't hard.

Besides you can't rename traded Pokémon because the person who originally named it was with them and adopted to the name before it was traded away.

⊙ᴗ⊙
If this ever gets implemented, I'd like to see something similar to the ribbons page added, where instead of ribbons it lists all the former nicknames the pokemon had.

Thus, If the Pokemon's been traded multiple times, it'd be really neat to see each former trainers twist on the Pokemon's name.

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I once got traded an Absol named 'Swine Flu' when the H1N1 was going around. >_<

Shadow Caster

Plasma Executive
I completely agree. I don't see why GameFreak won't let us change the nicknames of traded Pokemon. A pet peeve of mine is having Pokemon with all capital letters in their name. I don't know why, it just bothers me, especially since in Gen 5, Pokemon have lower case letters.

I didn't like getting a Rayquaza named 'BOBBY' off the GTS either, and that's something I can't exactly breed for...

aT0Msk

Dedicated Trainer
A pet peeve of mine is having Pokemon with all capital letters in their name. I don't know why, it just bothers me, especially since in Gen 5, Pokemon have lower case letters.

This. I have no problems with nicknamed monsters, I never use Pokémon that don't have my own OT anyway (Except events). However there should of been a conversion process when migrating Gen 3 & 4 Pokémon to Gen 5 that swapped the block capitals to lowercase. I know its a minor thing but for somebody who takes pride in their nicely ordered collection, it just looks ugly.

Last year I decided to wipe all my save data on my games and catch 'em all in each region in an attempt to complete my dex in White2. I started with FireRed and every time I caught something, I had to rename it in lowercase.. Currently doing the same in HeartGold too, it's so annoying. Thanks Game Freak.

Dreamy

I completely agree with this, it's about time they fixed this, who cares if they have the same name given to them by the OT