• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 2DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
My opinion on the 2DS is that it is for children, who's mothers want a cheaper device that won't fry their children's eyeballs (so to speak).

Not a gamer thing, obviously, but that can't be the intention.

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
I just saw the trailer for it and I must say I'm not impressed with the design at all but since I got a 3DS, I guess that it doesn't make a difference. Seems okay if you want a cheap alternative to a 3DS minus the 3D though.

Rhonder

I think that this is a great idea (no one that I know, including myself, uses the 3D effect more than every once in a while)... if not for the design. I just saw an article about it tonight while I was hanging out with my friends, and as I was reading the article, one of my friends who is excited for X and Y but has yet to purchase a 3DS was all like "Wow that sounds super cool, I'm seriously considering getting one of those instead." Then I told him that it wasn't exactly what he was thinking and flipped my laptop screen around to show him the picture. Immediate turn off. Same for me, but I already have a standard 3DS so I'm solid anyways. I still like the concept for children though. My cousins love gaming, but aren't very disciplined so they break/lose/wev handheld consoles concerningly often. They've gone through like 5 ds' in 4 or so years between the 2 of them. I can see this being something that their dad would get them instead of a new ds just because, as kids, they're not likely to care too much about the design (Might even think it's "super cool!") and for the parent, cheaper, and not as much of a fatality if something happens to it. Definitely a super niche target audience though... I'm assuming most people who are having to buy a 3DS for themselves would rather hold out and save up a bit of money for the... better looking less awkward console, since it's really not that much cheaper. It's a decent budget option though I guess.

Jazz™

Not exactly Orthodox
Ok. Here's the scenario I think this console is made for.
8 year-old Kid (who has a DS Lite/i + Pokémon Black 2: Mummy, Loook, they're making a new game of that Pogeyman series I liked!
Mum: Oh yes... But I they talked about that console in my 'Snobby Parenting' magazine. They said the 3D effect gives you horrible headaches and can make you very ill!
Kid: But Muuuum, I really want it!
Mum: Hmmmmmm, we'll see.

Christmas day
Kid unwraps Pokemon Y and a 2DS!
Kid: Mummy, I thought you said it gives you headaches!?
Mum: But this one doesn't have 3D! (To dad) And it's cheaper! (To kid) But you can't bring it out with you in case you lose it
Kid: Thank you mummy!

But anyway, while I admit it is a fairly good idea, I won't be buying one, even though I don't use 3D that much, I bring my 3DS out a lot, so the hinge is a necessity.

Wow, I typed up this entire post, then read Rhonder's. Almost exactly the same. Derp

Last edited:

xDWarrior

Folding allows for it to fit in The Trend's pockets.

Walking around with a 3DSXL in your pocket, even folded, will still make you look like you have a ridiculous boner.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I'm surprised more people aren't saying that this is basically nintendo's version of a tablet. That immediately dismisses the pocket problem since tablets aren't meant to go in your pocket either ;) I like it and can't wait to play x and y on it :)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
All I heard was "It's $129.99" Platinum fan is sold. I would much rather buy this then a $200 3DS, that I'm never going to play in 3D. Heck I was only getting a 3DS for Pokemon X and Y so this is perfect for me. Thank you Nintendo! As for the design, it looks like a bulkier Gameboy Advance, which I have little problem with. I still have my old Gameboy Advance. As for fitting in your pocket, I never take my handhelds out of my house anymore. Taking them out of your house and having them in your pocket is a good way to get them damaged in the first place. The lack of being able to fold, is probably my only problem with it, but I'd still take it over the 3DS xl. Saving money is important, especially these days so this was smart by Nintendo. I don't care how many Youtubers are ranting, as long as the 2DS can play 3DS games, then this is the handheld for me.

The Trend

Banned
And there are probably just as many who have no issue carrying the thing in public in a backpack.

My point: would you really have them not produce this model on the sole basis of what you're describing?

But it's so much more convenient if you can put it in your pocket! What if you wanna whip it out any time you want or if you are carrying other stuff in your hands?

Greekboy

What I don't see is why people are complaining about the lack of 3D

When the 3DS was released I remember countless people complaining about the 3D hurting their eyes

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Walking around with a 3DSXL in your pocket, even folded, will still make you look like you have a ridiculous boner.

Well someone here has something wrong with them if you have a fat rectangular bulge on the side of your leg and it's not a 3DS XL

Rhonder

I'm surprised more people aren't saying that this is basically nintendo's version of a tablet. That immediately dismisses the pocket problem since tablets aren't meant to go in your pocket either ;) I like it and can't wait to play x and y on it :)

I think part of the reason for that is that they're not marketing it as a tablet really. I feel like i they had tried to sell basically like a WiiU controller that played 3DS/DS games, it might have a little less hate. Not exactly a WiiU tablet obv, but something that looks more like a regular tablet instead of... a doorstop xD;; I guess it's just when I (and i'm assuming quite a few other people) think of a DS, it's that classic clamshell design that's actually really nice. I can fold my 3DS up and throw it into my backpack and take up next to no room with it, whereas for this you'd have to borderline devote a whole pocket to it.

Aurath8

I think part of the reason for that is that they're not marketing it as a tablet really. I feel like i they had tried to sell basically like a WiiU controller that played 3DS/DS games, it might have a little less hate. Not exactly a WiiU tablet obv, but something that looks more like a regular tablet instead of... a doorstop xD;; I guess it's just when I (and i'm assuming quite a few other people) think of a DS, it's that classic clamshell design that's actually really nice. I can fold my 3DS up and throw it into my backpack and take up next to no room with it, whereas for this you'd have to borderline devote a whole pocket to it.

Remember the 2DS is about as large as an open 3DS. Saying it'll take up a whole pocket is an overstatement.

EDIT: Here's a comparison between a 2DS and the other 3DSes for reference.

screenshot_60348_thumb_wide610.jpg

Last edited:

Rezzo

Occasionally
It's probably already been said more than a few times, but you laugh now while Nintendo in the near future sells these fantastically. The 3DS is starting to mature as a handheld and it still hasn't hit a significant selling number (possibly due to the popularity of mobile phone apps) but this is something people will be dying to buy to play Pokémon on.

It's still got a funny name though

E: The button placement looks incredibly awkward, to be honest. You'd be expecting to be holding the edge of the handheld with your thumbs over the D-pad and action buttons, but that doesn't seem the be the way the 2DS is held.

Last edited:

Rio!

Composer
Remember the 2DS is about as large as an open 3DS. Saying it'll take up a whole pocket is an overstatement.

EDIT: Here's a comparison between a 2DS and the other 3DSes for reference.

screenshot_60348_thumb_wide610.jpg

Um. Is this articular comparison for people that carry their DS all the way open rather than folding it in their pocket? Naturally, being that size open is going to take up more space than a closed clam-shell design for the system.

This may seem like a stupid or obvious question, but why does the 2DS have 2 back facing camera lenses, I thought that was only required to give photos the 3D effect but since the 2DS is 2D (obviously) why do they not just have one camera lense like the DSi and DSi XL?

Poetry

Dancing Mad
This may seem like a stupid or obvious question, but why does the 2DS have 2 back facing camera lenses, I thought that was only required to give photos the 3D effect but since the 2DS is 2D (obviously) why do they not just have one camera lense like the DSi and DSi XL?

I believe it's to enable photos taken on the 2DS to be seen in 3D when transferred to a 3DS console. But don't quote me on that, I could be wrong.

Aurath8

E: The button placement looks incredibly awkward, to be honest. You'd be expecting to be holding the edge of the handheld with your thumbs over the D-pad and action buttons, but that doesn't seem the be the way the 2DS is held.

As far as I can tell, those who've had a hands-on experience so far unanimously suggest that it's actually quite comfortable. I'll admit when I first saw my brain broke down for a bit thinking how it could ever fit in someone's hands.

I believe it's to enable photos taken on the 2DS to be seen in 3D when transferred to a 3DS console. But don't quote me on that, I could be wrong.

Don't worry; that is indeed correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.