• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

TheLupineOne

I'M GETTING WHITE.
I knew holding out all these years with nothing but a busted-up 2004 DS Phat would pay off.

I've stuck with the Phat since my first Phat. My sister bought a DS Lite, and I got her Phat to replace my busted Phat. So yeah. I'm a Phat person and proud.

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
Does anyone else get the feeling Nintendo, as far as systems go, is becoming a company that relies on gimmicks alone to get sales?

Nintendo is about innovation - The GameBoy was an early handheld, the DS was a first to utilize touch technology, the Wii of course took advantage of motion control, so now a 3D video game on a handheld without the use of glasses is, quite simply, innovation, not gimmicks.

I do agree with Dattebayo, though - just another company hopping on the 3d bandwagon.

Oh...I just got the "pun". 3DS as in 3D graphics. Haha. Wonder what the "S" stands for unless it's just there to connect this console to the normal DS.

Well, I would assume that this one would also have a Double Screen feature.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

Wow. This seems like a cool new Nintendo handheld. Good thing it has backwards compatibility with the DS and DSi. I'll be sure to get it when the time comes. So, it is supposed to go on sale between Apr. 2010 and Mar. 2011?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Improved battery life and extended wireless capabilities are always a plus for me. IMO, Nintendo should work towards communicating with people all over the world without having to use a Wi-Fi connection (meaning you could be in the Amazon jungle and still be able to use the GTS in Pokemon).
That would never happen as you'd have to pay for it. And nintendo would never want to charge people.

Neurotic Nuckelavee

Monochromatic Beast
I'm really disappointed with this news, it's bad enough 3D is starting to become the norm in Theaters and now there's a 3D Tv that's come out too, but a 3D Nintendo console? I can't enjoy any of it. Why? Because 3D literally makes me nauseous.

My only hope is that Nintendo has figured out a new way of 3D that will not have severe side effects for people like myself. If they haven't, well then at least thank goodness the 5th gen is supposedly coming out on the DS so I can enjoy that because once they switch to the 3DS I will no longer be able to follow the pokemon franchise :(

Darn it, I hate 3D if it takes over I will never be able to watch movies or play video games again... T_T

Lucas666

Dragon Trainer
I never have a problem with 3D, but I hope for the people who become nauseous, or have seizures, etc. that Nintendo will include an off Setting for this New console. Also, NO ANALOG STICK! I hate those things, after a few hours, my thumbs become tired, and after a few days of playing hours at a time, I am unable to play due to the muscles tearing. Also, I know it's not going to happen, but I wish they would include a button select system that operates by voice command, that way when I get a mosquito bite, I can still play. LOL :p

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Nintendo is about innovation - The GameBoy was an early handheld, the DS was a first to utilize touch technology, the Wii of course took advantage of motion control, so now a 3D video game on a handheld without the use of glasses is, quite simply, innovation, not gimmicks

This is no innovation. This technology is not new. It is a gimmick. In order for Nintendo to use this and remain cheap it wont be to it's full potential and will quickly be outpaced. They're doing it to get sales, that's all.

I'm really disappointed with this news, it's bad enough 3D is starting to become the norm in Theaters and now there's a 3D Tv that's come out too, but a 3D Nintendo console? I can't enjoy any of it. Why? Because 3D literally makes me nauseous.

It's not that kind of 3D.

It's this kind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE&feature=player_embedded

Wat.
Sunshine remake seems even more likely with the announcement of the analog stick-Which I hope doesn't replace the dpad, but won't be too upset if it does (I use classic controllers analog stick for Super Mario World and it plays just as good).

I wonder if its this 3d: http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=118193 or movie theater style 3d without glasses? Though, I doubt it's the 3d I linked to, because that could be achieved wth simply the accelometer it's confirmed to have.

What I meant by App Store was like the app store but only with games. It seems possible, the App Store is making a ton of money, and Nintendo has copied things because they made money before (Miyamoto said online play was just a fad, though we got it on wii/ds). I mean, it is the only advantage the iTouch has over a normal iPod other than internet and youtube.

Some people are believing in SSBDS again. Analog stick seems to slightly boost this rumor, and since Nintendo's added DLC to wifi since Brawl, that'd be a plus. But I still doubt it.

PerSempreTua

FFFFUUUU--
So far all I can gather is that it’s in 3D and a bit fancier. They’ll need a better gimmick than that to get me to cough up the dough. I didn't even bother with the DSi. :V

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Well, the only reason I got a DSLite and DSi is the previous one would get broken somehow. The phat DS has a broken hinge, and the DSLite now has a broken hinge, a sticky R key and a messed up screen. D:

Anyway... I'll probably get this eventually, but its features will determine how soon.

Wat.
When did Nintendo say it would have an analog stick...?
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=118176
So far all I can gather is that it’s in 3D and a bit fancier. They’ll need a better gimmick than that to get me to cough up the dough. I didn't even bother with the DSi. :V
Rather or not it's a gimmick depends on how the developers use it. For instance, the Wii's library is very "gimicky" because of how developers made games for it. Many party games relying on motion controls. The DS's games were all touch screen centered at first, too, so expect the 3DS's first few waves of titles to be 3D centered. But it'll quickly stop.

Surfing_Pikachu

Wat.
Early April Fools pl0x.

But Nintendo usually does that 2 monthes late! They do it every year at E3 when they say that the wii's great! About two years ago they even went an entire conference there without showing any good games!

natie

Mr. F
Early April Fools pl0x.

Nope.

lol @ 42

Ontopic: I'm looking forward to this one, sounds like it's going to be awesome! I have a DSi now, but as long as the 3DS doesn't cost too much, I'll buy it. It's great to hear it has backwards compatibility too, so I won't have to carry around lots of different consoles :D

Wat.
That's all speculation though. I'll wait for E3 when Nintendo reveals the information.

No, that's not speculation. Some of it is, but the analog stick part wasn't.