• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
No, that's not speculation. Some of it is, but the analog stick part wasn't.

Yeah it is, Nintendo hasn't released any details of the console yet. The PR said they would release them at E3. If that isn't speculation I'd like the official source o_O

Mr.Brightside

You will evolve too!
I 'm really curious to see how 3D games can work. Especially in a handheld system and how it will affect Pokemon in general.

natie

Mr. F
The vibration and analog nub is awesome too, imagine the possibilities :D J/k, but analog nubs are way more precise than just buttons. And if you don't like them, there'll still be D-pad and buttons :D

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The vibration and analog nub is awesome too, imagine the possibilities :D J/k, but analog nubs are way more precise than just buttons. And if you don't like them, there'll still be D-pad and buttons :D

What exactly do you deem to be "precise" because if we're going reaction time here buttons react much quicker than analog sticks. Analog stick allow for greater movement, other than that there's not much.

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
says the ugly guy with the mariohat. i can afford to focus on one tiny sector of my big gaminghobby at a time, at the moment i'm busy with the DSi and PS3 whenever something catches my eye.

Can you not be nuisance for once? Like, no disrespect or anything, but everytime someone says something you totally lay an egg and try to explode with some funny insult but it only makes you look like an idiot. ._____.

Besides that I'm really skeptical on the 3D thing, and how much the price will be. I hope it's around what a DS cost when it first came out. (the brick one, ladies, and gentlemen). Ahaha, The 3D thing, admittedly, kinda sounds something along the lines of a fail idea. But I'll have to see about that when it comes out. XD

Cobalt_Latios

Thats probably why they don't want people to use the 3D lens since most gamers like to play for a long time. We are warned not to play for more than an hour without breaks but we ignore that already.
Doesn't stop one of my "friends" from enforcing that "rule".

When I say I don't want 3D in the main Pokemon games, I mean the cheap gimmicky pop-out-of-the-screen stuff that is enough to put an epileptic in the emergency room in five minutes flat. I'm fine with 3D in-game models, and I in fact want Game Freak to put more of those into the fifth generation games.
Hell yeah. HGSS had quite the amount of 3D models, which I was very pleased with. I very much hope we get more of these in the future.

I love the rumors of a built-in Rumble Pack and Tilt controls though. Tilt controls would add a whole new dimension to the games. If this thing is powered by Tegra 2, it should be able to rival the Gamecube in graphic capabilities, which is a huge step up from the pixel-y DS.
Ironically, in terms of graphics, I remember somewhere in some article stating that the DS was going to have GC like graphics. Look how that turned out.

Also note how they said it was compatible with DS and DSi games, meaning that there are cameras in it. Hopefully they step up the game and make the cameras high-quality.
Good lord, when you think about it, that's going to crank the Gen3-V compatibility list to about 20 games. No, I'm not kidding.

Improved battery life and extended wireless capabilities are always a plus for me. IMO, Nintendo should work towards communicating with people all over the world without having to use a Wi-Fi connection (meaning you could be in the Amazon jungle and still be able to use the GTS in Pokemon).
That's a bit much methinks...

Nintendo is about innovation - The GameBoy was an early handheld, the DS was a first to utilize touch technology, the Wii of course took advantage of motion control, so now a 3D video game on a handheld without the use of glasses is, quite simply, innovation, not gimmicks.
Considering the DS is gaining more popularity than the Wii, it's not surprising.

I do agree with Dattebayo, though - just another company hopping on the 3d bandwagon.
As long as they do it right, I could care less.

Wow. This seems like a cool new Nintendo handheld. Good thing it has backwards compatibility with the DS and DSi. I'll be sure to get it when the time comes. So, it is supposed to go on sale between Apr. 2010 and Mar. 2011?
We need to wait till E3... so try a little bit further than that. Like say... Early 11, maybe, for Japan.

This is no innovation. This technology is not new. It is a gimmick. In order for Nintendo to use this and remain cheap it wont be to it's full potential and will quickly be outpaced. They're doing it to get sales, that's all.
And here I thought we all knew Nintendo better than that.

Whoa! OO; If the 3DS has this... good lord.

Sunshine remake seems even more likely with the announcement of the analog stick-Which I hope doesn't replace the dpad, but won't be too upset if it does (I use classic controllers analog stick for Super Mario World and it plays just as good).
Which isn't a bad thing, mind you.

I wonder if its this 3d: http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=118193 or movie theater style 3d without glasses? Though, I doubt it's the 3d I linked to, because that could be achieved wth simply the accelometer it's confirmed to have.
Either way, it would boost visual appeal.

C_L

BCVM22

If this thing is powered by Tegra 2, it should be able to rival the Gamecube in graphic capabilities, which is a huge step up from the pixel-y DS.

That sounds terrific on paper, but it loses something if you try and translate that to reality. These screens, supposedly won't be anywhere near the size of the XL and may not be that much larger than what the DSi gives us.

With that in mind, what good are eye-popping graphics if the screens on which you're playing them aren't even 4 inches?

Also note how they said it was compatible with DS and DSi games, meaning that there are cameras in it.

You're leaping to a conclusion here. To date, the only titles to make use of the camera are DSiWare titles. Is it impossible that there will be some means of transferring your downloaded material to this 3DS? Not at all. Does their wording the announcement like that mean there will be cameras? Also not at all.

Not to jump to any definites here, but I would say, for now, that including DSi software with the DS in that sentence is more to cover their bases, in the event that they release an actual, physical, DSi-only game card in the next year leading up to the 3DS, more so than I would take it as a guarantee of cameras built into the hardware.

IMO, Nintendo should work towards communicating with people all over the world without having to use a Wi-Fi connection (meaning you could be in the Amazon jungle and still be able to use the GTS in Pokemon).

If it were that simple, they would. You know this, I'm sure, but wireless Internet without Wi-Fi means you need a cellular data connection, and including that usually means you either have to pay a monthly subscription cost or drive up the price of the unit exponentially. You can imagine why Nintendo wouldn't see either as worthwhile endeavors for a new handheld.

It's probably also worth mentioning that cellular reception in the Amazon is probably still a bit spotty.

Besides that I'm really skeptical on the 3D thing, and how much the price will be.

Nintendo has never released a handheld for more than $190 American, which is what an XL costs. The DS launched at $150, the DS Lite at $130 and the DSi at $170. They wouldn't be developing a new handheld if they weren't positive they could sell it at a similar price point.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Not to jump to any definites here, but I would say, for now, that including DSi software with the DS in that sentence is more to cover their bases, in the event that they release an actual, physical, DSi-only game card in the next year leading up to the 3DS, more so than I would take it as a guarantee of cameras built into the hardware.

It's also a possibility, however, that they use a camera for face tracking for 3D. Similar to what the DSi does right now.

BCVM22

It's very much a possibility, certainly. The point was simply that just because they mentioned the hardware as having full compatibility with DS and DSi software is not, in and of itself, a guarantee of any other inclusions.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
When they say it's compatible with DSi software, do you think that includes DSiWare? Cause I'd hate to lose the games I've downloaded.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
It's very much a possibility, certainly. The point was simply that just because they mentioned the hardware as having full compatibility with DS and DSi software is not, in and of itself, a guarantee of any other inclusions.

Very true.

When they say it's compatible with DSi software, do you think that includes DSiWare? Cause I'd hate to lose the games I've downloaded.

Well as we're discussing right now it's not entirely clear. The PR makes it sound that way, but of course Nintendo may actually come out with DS games that only work on DSis.

MetaPheonixPal

I read somewhere something about being backwards compatible with normal DS games, is this true?

And with this I'm guessing I'm going to have to keep my DS lite or GBA if I want to play GBA games? Or is there a chance that this 3DS will be compatible with GBA games?

BCVM22

I read somewhere something about being backwards compatible with normal DS games, is this true?

Yes. That sort of thing really should be put in the first post so people can get the rundown, but I suppose I'm expecting too much.

Or is there a chance that this 3DS will be compatible with GBA games?

None. They aren't going to include backwards compatibility with a format that will be two generations defunct.

zeno48

Zaker!
Great news! Day one purchase for me and i knew this was inevitable. I'm interested in how this will affect pokemon games with 3d integration.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

And with this I'm guessing I'm going to have to keep my DS lite or GBA if I want to play GBA games? Or is there a chance that this 3DS will be compatible with GBA games?

Yes it will play DS games. No it will not play GBA games. Nintendo made it clear with the DSi that they are no longer supporting the GBA.

ijea4444

I hope there is no analog, thos things always annoy me and they would probably make the DS thicker which is always a down :/ and the megapixels HAVE to be to upped. .03 is nothing compared to the average camera today which iirc goes up to 12. That is 400x better than the DSi. I'm definately not excpecting a 12 megapixel camera but at least 1 or 2 megapixels should be the minimum.

I have an old 3 megapixel camera and even then the quality is not something that keeps me satisfied.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I hope there is no analog, thos things always annoy me and they would probably make the DS thicker which is always a down :/ and the megapixels HAVE to be to upped. .03 is nothing compared to the average camera today which iirc goes up to 12. That is 400x better than the DSi. I'm definately not excpecting a 12 megapixel camera but at least 1 or 2 megapixels should be the minimum.

I have an old 3 megapixel camera and even then the quality is not something that keeps me satisfied.

An analog stick really wouldn't increase it's size by that much, if at all. As for the camera, it's really a secondary feature. If you're really intending to take pictures with it you're doing it wrong. A real digital camera is smaller and obviously much better.

dman_dustin

That sounds terrific on paper, but it loses something if you try and translate that to reality. These screens, supposedly won't be anywhere near the size of the XL and may not be that much larger than what the DSi gives us.

With that in mind, what good are eye-popping graphics if the screens on which you're playing them aren't even 4 inches?

Well you are basically only a few inches away when playing the DS, while with regular TVs you're ideally standing a few feet away. So in regards to perspective I'm not really seeing a difference.

And I don't see why that would be a bad thing either, I don't see why the quality (graphics) of a game should suffer just because the screens are small.

Think of it this way, watching movies in theaters is definitely a better experience but that's not stopping someone from buying a DVD and watching it on a much smaller screen.