1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by TheLupineOne, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Manna

Manna Rockin' the Suburbs

What? I missed Harvest Moon talk?

Going to put my two cents in anyway. If you're on the fence about getting it, get it!! It has a slow start, but after that it's amazing! Best Harvest Moon in a long time.

2. Recon

Recon 11001101011101010100

I actually got it recently too. I agree, it takes time to start up, that's for sure. But once it does, it's a lot of fun. The game kind of reminds me of Friends of Mineral Town which first brought me in to the franchise and I loved it a lot because of it. In the end, it's just a ton of fun, though I wish the camera didn't feel so awkward.

3. Eternalserenity

Eternalserenity Wanderer

I'm looking to gain a few friends for the purposes of trading items and resources.
    Also, brushing cows.

4. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

Alright, it sounds like it's well worth it. I'll take a look around some stores and see if I can find it. I prefer my console games physical.

5. Eternalserenity

Eternalserenity Wanderer

Good luck and happy hunting.

edit: Awwwww, Dunhill doesn't deliver my newspaper anymore. :( Now what's he gonna do?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  6. Flame Mistress

Flame Mistress Well-Known Member

Arghhhhhh WHY IS THERE NO RELEASE DATE FOR THIS GAME IN EUROPE YET?

Rising Star Games, it's nice of you to localize Virtue's Last Reward for us, but really?

7. Iris Mist

Iris Mist Hylian Princess

My local EB games had it just this past weekend. Then again, they rarely get sold out, especially Nintendo titles.

It definitely does sound like it's worth it. I had picked it up, but changed my mind and got Black 2 instead. I just might have to go back soon :)

8. hawkeye721

hawkeye721 なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!

Do you guys think miiverse will be available to the 3ds?

9. GalactaRay

GalactaRay Well-Known Member

Sooner or later yeah. I remember in a Nintendo Direct the guy saying something about miiverse coming to a 3DS. The 3DS does have nintendo network written all over it.

10. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

No thanks, I don't like playing NES on the 3DS.

What game are you talking about?

I wouldn't thank Rising Star Games for the 3DS version of Virtue's Last Reward, since the game has a bug that causes your games to crash and the save file to be corrupted.

What more Rising Star Games knew about this but failed to do anything about it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  11. Iris Mist

Iris Mist Hylian Princess

Neither do I. It just doesn't feel right.

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning

12. Flame Mistress

Yes, exactly.

I was never thanking them. Just saying that they better localize Harvest Moon: A New Beginning too. And really? Still, not as bad as SEGA and their "touch screen controls" patent crap...

13. Eternalserenity

Eternalserenity Wanderer

Yeah, I have no idea why Sega graduated to scumbag status, but they did, and they should be deeply ashamed.

Anywho, I'm now a beekeeper in Harvest Moon. It's nice to farm honey.
    Also, my cow is doing pretty good. It produces high quality milk now.
    And someone gave me a Silkie egg over Wi-Fi. (A Silkie is the superior version of the chicken) I'm not ready to have Silkies or chickens yet. Even though I have a coop built already.

14. Flame Mistress

SEGA must be pretty desperate - I mean, suing a company for touch screen controls is just... ridiculous. You do know what I'm talking about right?

And... and I think I'll just keep off this thread for now until the Harvest Moon talk is long gone... *goes to cry*

15. Eternalserenity

Eternalserenity Wanderer

Desperate is quite the accurate term for it. They got kicked out of the console market by trying to sell gaming systems that focused on graphics over games (an interesting parallel to Sony's current problem). I suspect they're either trying to harm other gaming companies by gaining exclusitivity to a certain market, or they're trying to get their foot back in the door, not content to be third party any longer. Though it could be a possibility of both things.

Sorry. :( I'll keep my stuff in spoiler tags for awhile.

16. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

This conveniently ignores the years of poor business practices, poor financial decisions and failing sales that had everything and more to do with their ceasing of hardware development. It had nothing to do with being "kicked out" or what their systems did or didn't try to do.

And none of this makes any sense. I don't know what SEGA did as far as "touch screen control patents" nor do I really care, but whatever they did, I guarantee you it has nothing to do with "trying to harm other gaming companies by gaining exclusitivity to a certain market" or "they're trying to get their foot back in the door". Nothing actually works like that.

17. Flame Mistress

Here's the article. Even if I am biased towards Level-5 because of Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven, let's be honest, that's as stupid as patenting "rounded corners".

18. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

No it isn't. Anything sufficiently different enough from everything else can be patented, and any granted patent can be defended.

How many patents do you think companies who fill their coffers by attempting to innovate input methods - Apple, Nintendo, etc. - own on things that seem universal to us, like touch screens, inputs, gestures, control devices and the like? The answer is a lot, and I guarantee the majority of them would make us normal folk go "wait, really, you can patent that?"

The touch screen on the DS and 3DS probably seems about as basic as you can get to us as a small, stylus-based touch screen with no multi-touch, and yet I guarantee you Nintendo holds some sort of patent on the touchscreen input they developed for the line, a patent that they could defend if they felt it was being replicated unfairly.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  19. Flame Mistress

Thing is:

1) The Inazuma Eleven series has been around since August 2008. Why not sue them earlier-- oh wait more money, of course. Sure, lawsuits may take some time to prepare, but I doubt it took them four years.
    2) Apparently, SEGA filed their first patent in 2009, a year after the first game in the I11 series was released, and it was probably in development since a while earlier than that.
    3) A lot of games use touch screen controls, not just specifically the I11 series. At this rate they could sue every company that does. Heck, couldn't Nintendo do the same, if they wanted to?

Level-5 should be okay, though. I hear they recently hired an ace attorney.

20. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Again, we aren't privy to the details of the patent or the lawsuit. My point was that it's flawed and narrow thinking to look at SEGA and paint them as some sort of overlording bully doing nothing but trying to sue another company for the money. It's never that simple. Ever. Furthermore, I would hope you are aware that even if they won that lawsuit and were awarded the damages, that money doesn't just go into SEGA's collective bank account/R&D budget, which is to say they wouldn't be awarded the sought damages and say "sweet, cash infusion! Let's go drive some smaller developer out of business and then make some new hardware!", which is the crux of what you were claiming against them earlier. Again - doesn't work that way. At all.

Groan.