• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
Not necessarily. In fact most of my friends despise jeans with a passion and don't wear them at all. I'm kinda the oddball for wearing them.

And I wear all of those things in summer. #CanadaProbs

I also live in Canada and I definitely do not wear jeans in the summer. Ever. (Unless it's, like, raining or something)

Tangeh

Really? I definitely do. I mean, not every day, but that's more because of work.

To be fair I'm always cold and I'm an absolute wimp when it comes to cold temperatures. xD

...Shorts have pockets too, while we're on the topic. ^___^

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
This just further illustrates that Nintendo is stuck in the past and refuses to change. They're the only company that region locks their consoles. And they have absolutely nothing to gain by doing this, especially in this day and age when import sales are actually a factor.

But then again, this is the company that is shipping the New 3DS with no AC adapter, as well as requiring you to use a screwdriver to access the SD slot on the console (I foresee many little kids breaking their consoles in the process of doing this).
I don't see why this is a big deal. I got myself a 16gb sd card and I haven't touched it since I did a system transfer. Do people regularly need to remove their sd cards?

Tangeh

I've never removed my original one, but I'll probably have to eventually...

If I was a kid I'd just nag my parents to do it for me. Easy.

R_N

I don't see why this is a big deal. I got myself a 16gb sd card and I haven't touched it since I did a system transfer. Do people regularly need to remove their sd cards?

I dont think this is as big a deal either (children would probably go to their parents about this assuming they even remotely care), but I believe the n3ds comes with a 4 (?) gb microsd card. Some people might want to replace that with a larger one.
Thankfully it seems like it'd be a one time thing, since there is this as an option
data-share.jpg

You can transfer your photos, music, and other files between a PC and your system’s microSDHC** card via a wireless network. No need to remove the microSDHC card!

e: Larger as in larger file size, not a normal sd card

Shinehollow

Turning that frown all the way down
On the topic of wearing jeans in Canada...does it make me weird that for an entire year when I was 8,even in the summer when it got over twenty degrees?

On the topic of the New 3DS,I'm most likely not getting one even though I have a reason (the L button on my 3DS is broken).Nintendo's releasing too much good stuff this year.I'm saving up for an Ike amiboo and FE14 before I think about a New 3DS.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
am i the only one who sees the irony that people are complaining about having to unscrew the back to change the microsd card (which would only need to be done one time, btw), but dont seem to have an issue with if the new 3ds with the faceplates came out you'd have to do the same thing to change the faceplates, which according to some people here who would get the small new 3ds they would do it regularly? why is it if you'd do it all the time to swap faceplates its okay but doing it one time only to switch from 4 gig to 8-32 gig microsd card is such a sin?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
one person complained about screws for the microSD (annoying, but a one-off irritant)

faceplates are purely aesthetic and you can never change them and not miss out (and IIRC the screws on the back plate are more standard than the weird one covering the microSD, but of course I have no way of knowing)

Jb

Tsun in the streets
am i the only one who sees the irony that people are complaining about having to unscrew the back to change the microsd card (which would only need to be done one time, btw), but dont seem to have an issue with if the new 3ds with the faceplates came out you'd have to do the same thing to change the faceplates, which according to some people here who would get the small new 3ds they would do it regularly? why is it if you'd do it all the time to swap faceplates its okay but doing it one time only to switch from 4 gig to 8-32 gig microsd card is such a sin?

There is no irony. Memory cards fill up quick, so a lot of people change them, or replace them. Just ask Vita owners. Chances are, most people are just going to stick with the faceplate they like. You can't do that when an SD card fills up unless you delete stuff or change it.

Though filling it up is probably unlikely. Nintendo is so terrible with their eShop like charging $5 bucks for 30 year old games, not enough people would D/L stuff anyway.

SBaby

Dungeon Master

The actual irony is that Nintendo is doing this after advocating that they want to make their consoles hard for children to break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ilGtSLiNp8

I would just post a long text blurb explaining the situation, but it's easier to just have a link to a video explaining the same thing and probably taking less time to do it. Basically, it comes down to the fact that kids aren't always patient enough to wait for their parents to get the right tool for the job (in the case of the New 3DS, a #0 screwdriver), and are liable to try and do it themselves, and this will lead to broken consoles.

Again, for a company that advocates making their consoles hard for kids to break, this is a boneheaded design choice that will result in broken consoles.

In all fairness though, the thing that irritates me the most is the fact that it isn't shipping with a power supply. Consoles and hardware should always come packaged with everything needed to make them self-sufficient. There's no excuse for this.

one person complained about screws for the microSD (annoying, but a one-off irritant)

faceplates are purely aesthetic and you can never change them and not miss out (and IIRC the screws on the back plate are more standard than the weird one covering the microSD, but of course I have no way of knowing)

It was confirmed that a #0 screwdriver is required to remove the plate. Here's the thing though. I see Tablets in stores all the time, and I've never run into one where you had to unscrew something to be able to install the SD card or the Micro SD card (even the nabi Tablets have a slot that is in plain sight, and all you have to do is just insert the SD card). This is why Rich calls it a very 'Nintendo' thing to do. Because nobody else in their right mind would design their products like that.

Well, if you want to transfer your SD card from your current 3DS to the New 3DS (you know, so you can have your games and saves on the new console), then it can be a big deal, especially when it's a kid who isn't necessarily patient enough to wait for mommy or daddy to get the right tool for the job.

Last edited:

BCVM22

but it's easier to just have a link to a video explaining the same thing and probably taking less time to do it.

It's never actually better to do this.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that kids aren't always patient enough to wait for their parents to get the right tool for the job (in the case of the New 3DS, a #0 screwdriver), and are liable to try and do it themselves, and this will lead to broken consoles.

This seems more like advocating for a hypothetical cross-section of youth that doesn't actually exist. Seems to me that if a kid is old enough to know/understand what an SD card is, micro or otherwise, there's a very good chance they're old enough to unscrew a few screws on a compartment designed to be opened for that purpose.

Furthermore, it was pointed out: the hardware provides for wireless transfer of data between the system and a computer under the right conditions.

Well, if you want to transfer your SD card from your current 3DS to the New 3DS (you know, so you can have your games and saves on the new console), then it can be a big deal, especially when it's a kid who isn't necessarily patient enough to wait for mommy or daddy to get the right tool for the job.

Again, this is a flawed hypothetical: if Junior is old enough to understand the concept, Junior is probably old enough that he can follow Nintendo's instructions without needing to "wait for mommy or daddy to get the right tool for the job."

Again, for a company that advocates making their consoles hard for kids to break, this is a boneheaded design choice that will result in broken consoles.

And yet a compartment held on with screws is probably somewhat less likely to be broken than the semi-dangly compartment cover used on the original models. It seems like you're doing a lot of railing and wailing in favor of some hypothetical kids who very possibly don't exist.

I see Tablets in stores all the time, and I've never run into one where you had to unscrew something to be able to install the SD card or the Micro SD card. This is why Rich calls it a very 'Nintendo' thing to do. Because nobody else in their right mind would design their products like that.

However there are any number of cell phone models that place their microSD card slots underneath the battery, or at least behind the battery cover. No, they aren't screw-secured and it's not quite the same, but it is the extra step of having to perform a bit of elective surgery on the hardware to swap it out.

I have faith in the resiliency of the human spirit that we will heal from these screw-inflicted wounds and move on, in time.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
It's never actually better to do this.

You are the only one who whines when I do this, instead of taking five minutes to watch a video that has ten times the information I could post in the same time span, a video that addresses most of what you just posted.

This seems more like advocating for a hypothetical cross-section of youth that doesn't actually exist. Seems to me that if a kid is old enough to know/understand what an SD card is, micro or otherwise, there's a very good chance they're old enough to unscrew a few screws on a compartment designed to be open. Furthermore, it was pointed out: the hardware provides for wireless transfer of data between the system and a computer.

First, you are seriously in denial if you believe that. Kids are impatient. Kids break things when they get impatient. That's how kids are. If you don't know this, then you clearly have no experience with kids.

Second, you have no idea what Nintendo's key customer-base is, do you? It's kids. It's always been kids, and it will always BE kids. And kids don't always listen to their parents (or adults in general, for that matter). Not every 6-year-old kid that begs their parents for a console is going to have the patience to wait for them to get the right tool to open that plate, because they are excited to play their new console. So they will try to do it themselves, and this will lead to broken consoles.

As for the wireless transfer, that's all well and good, but kids don't always have access to a computer. And there are certain things that can't be transferred this way. So guess what happens in that case.

However there are any number of cell phone models that place their microSD card slots underneath the battery, or at least behind the battery cover. No, they aren't screw-secured and it's not quite the same, but it is the extra step of having to perform a bit of elective surgery on the hardware to swap it out.

I have faith in the resiliency of the human spirit that we will heal from these screw-inflicted wounds and move on, in time.

Cell phones do indeed have plates that need to be removed to get to the micro SD slot under the battery. But here's an important difference. Are you ready for this? Because this is going to blow your mind. You don't need a screwdriver to pop the plate off. A simple motion of the fingernail is all it takes. I have heard that one or two models of tablets also have a plate that needs to be removed, but again, no screws involved; it just slides off like the back of a remote control when you need to change the battery.

This is why it's a very 'Nintendo' thing for them to do. Because no other company does this.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
There is no irony. Memory cards fill up quick, so a lot of people change them, or replace them. Just ask Vita owners. Chances are, most people are just going to stick with the faceplate they like. You can't do that when an SD card fills up unless you delete stuff or change it.

Though filling it up is probably unlikely. Nintendo is so terrible with their eShop like charging $5 bucks for 30 year old games, not enough people would D/L stuff anyway.

Lol seriously. 64GB is not enough. I'll pay all teh moneys even for a measly 128GB. I payed $100 for the 64GB, so you know how horrible the price higher memories would cost... Unless some third-party companies would start making cheap replacements already!

I feel like if not bringing the n3DS to America and Canada was such a big deal, then fans should have ripped Nintendo a new one for the n3DS and n3DSXL still not being region free. Fook this proprietary memory card and region locking nonsense!

BCVM22

First, you are seriously in denial if you believe that. Kids are impatient. Kids break things when they get impatient. That's how kids are. If you don't know this, then you clearly have no experience with kids.

Spare me the "well you CLEARLY don't know..." platitudes, this will go so much easier if you do. Again, you're arguing for a hypothetical and a tenuous one at that.

Second, you have no idea what Nintendo's key customer-base is, do you? It's kids.

Oh my yes, if there is one sole problem to which this all boils down, it is that I have no idea what Nintendo's key customer base is. Thanks for clearing that up. Again, platitudes, again, flimsy hypothetical argument.

So they will try to do it themselves, and this will lead to broken consoles.

No, you think it will lead to broken consoles, again on the basis of a tenuous hypothetical. The point remains that just as easily as you can say "6-year-olds will try it and break everything!", the response can be "why is the 6-year-old trying to undo a screw compartment to change out a microSD card in the first place?" with just as much validity.

Because this is going to blow your mind. You don't need a screwdriver to pop the plate off. A simple motion of the fingernail is all it takes. I have heard that one or two models of tablets also have a plate that needs to be removed, but again, no screws involved; it just slides off like the back of a remote control when you need to change the battery.

Incredibly, I acknowledged right off the bat that the two were similar but not the same. It's possible you were too distracted by the task of conceiving witticisms like "because this is going to blow your mind" and skipped over it.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
No, you think it will lead to broken consoles, again on the basis of a tenuous hypothetical. The point remains that just as easily as you can say "6-year-olds will try it and break everything!", the response can be "why is the 6-year-old trying to undo a screw compartment to change out a microSD card in the first place?" with just as much validity.

This will lead to broken consoles, because kids are kids. This is not hypothetical. This is a fact. Kids get impatient, and because they get impatient, they try to do things themselves, even though they don't always know how to. This leads to devices being broken. This is not some hypothetical situation. This is something that happens every day.

And regardless of how you try to spin this, it's still a misstep in the design of the console.

Last edited:

BCVM22

The sun is a star made of burning gas. That is a fact.

This:

Kids get impatient, and because they get impatient, they try to do things themselves, even though they don't always know how to. This leads to devices being broken. This is not some hypothetical situation. This is something that happens every day.

--is many things. Generalization, observation, anecdote, assumption, and more, and in those capacities it may even be not-invalid. But it is not a fact, or at least it is most certainly not incontrovertible fact in the way you are trying to present it or in the context in which you are trying to present it.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
The sun is a star made of burning gas. That is a fact.

This:

--is many things. Generalization, observation, anecdote, assumption, and more, and in those capacities it may even be not-invalid. But it is not a fact, or at least it is most certainly not incontrovertible fact in the way you are trying to present it or in the context in which you are trying to present it.

I think you should go look up the definition of the word 'hypothetical', because I don't think it means what you think it does.

For the last time, what I have told you is a fact. Kids get impatient and kids break things. If you can prove to me that kids have never once broken something out of impatience, I will personally rescind everything I say about the back plate of the New 3DS. But you can't, because kids do in fact break things out of impatience. And they will in this case as well.

That said, the back plate isn't even the thing that bothered me the most about it. Actually, deciding not to include a power supply to me is the biggest misstep Nintendo made with the console. Now I'm on the side of Rich here. I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker. But it's definitely a very 'Nintendo' thing to do. When you release a console, or a device of any kind, you should always release it with everything you need in order for it to run and be self-sufficient. There is really no excuse for this.

Last edited:

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
Kids who break things out of impatience have anger issues. Plain and simple. :/
My brother broke our Super Mario Galaxy disc in half because he couldn't beat one level. But remember, not all kids are like this. And I highly doubt any kid at least under 12 knows what an SD card is (even when 80-ish% of the population have cell-phones). I may be wrong, but I don't see it being a big deal.

The lack of a charger, however, is a different story, but has a solution: BUY ONE YOURSELF. I assume (I know I should never assume but whatever) that Nintendo will but on the box: "Does not include an AC adapter." I hope parents are not so stupid that they will ignore this, have their kids complain about the non-rechargeable batteries, and then complain to Nintendo because of it. But then again, never underestimate people's stupidity.

In short: yes, there is no excuse. Parents who don't know any better will blab about how there is no way to recharge the n3DS they just bought for their spoiled brat kid, and it will be Nintendo's fault (somewhat, if the parents didn't bother to read the box).

BCVM22

I think you should go look up the definition of the word 'hypothetical', because I don't think it means what you think it does.

Delightful. Yes, again, that's clearly the problem here.

For the last time, what I have told you is a fact.

I think that's a definition you may want to look into.

If you can prove to me that kids have never once broken something out of impatience, I will personally rescind everything I say about the back plate of the New 3DS. But you can't, because kids do in fact break things out of impatience. And they will in this case as well.

Ah, now we come to the issue here. No, I don't need to prove anything to you. Rather, the burden of proof falls on you, to somehow prove that every - or even a majority, or even a significant minority - of your hypothetical 6-year-old consumers is going to, and I quote, "break [the system] out of impatience", because that's not just the crux of your argument, it's your entire argument.

Is that really what you got out of this, that I'm somehow saying that no child ever has ever broken anything? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that isn't how you're summarizing my position. However, your entire argument seems to be predicated on your belief that the very second this New 3DS is set in front of a child, it's going to be reduced to a small pile of broken plastic, stripped screws and charred circuitry out of impatience, which itself is predicated on the belief that Junior not only knows what the microSD card is, but has need or reason to remove it. Again, somehow you would have to prove this eventuality to be such, and a widespread one at that, for your argument to hold the water you believe it does. Until then, it's less the fact you want it to be and more the generalization/observation/assumption that it really is.

Even better, I've not laid hands on a New 3DS (as I imagine many of us haven't), but if the microSD slot is covered anything like I would imagine it to be, exactly what is Junior going to do to it to try and open it improperly while he's so busy being impatient for "mommy and daddy"? Is he going to try and undo the screws himself? Seems like he'd either manage that, or wouldn't, and at worst he'd scratch the casing in that area of the system. Is he going to try and pry it open with something? It would seem, in my mind's eye - and again, I freely admit I haven't seen what the cover looks like, so I could be wrong here - like there would be nowhere to find purchase for such an effort, and again at worst the system would get scratched up a bit.

It's just not an argument that holds all of the water you believe it to. It absolutely holds some water, that yes, there are kids out there who are impatient, impulsive and destructive enough to damage anything put in front of them, but that's true of anything small enough and vulnerable enough to sustain damage.