• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Austratus

a paper man
There was one article on gamasutra [link snipped] that theorizes, among other things, that american retailers might not want to stock the normal sized new 3ds and also its dozens and dozens of faceplates

and honestly i could kind of see that?
this is totally anecdotal on my end, but those areas dont have a ton of space for things like the faceplates et all. And then you account for all the space that amiibo needs to have

my horror thoughts: they make a new 2ds and its the worst of all worlds
Now you mention it, I kind of see that. I mean, look at the shelf space used for Skylanders and Infinity-- while crossplatform, it's just two games with a whole bunch of collectibles.

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
Even I, an englishman, am surprised at how much NoE has been slaying it lately while NoA continually drops the ball (in the fans eyes atleast). Especially after how much the region was screwed over in the past.

Sure it might make sense business-wise but still doesn't make the decision any less crappy for fans.

In any other circumstance I wouldn't have bought the original XL but with the original 3ds hardware was so terrible I couldn't stand it anymore. After using the New 3DS for a week I don't see myself going back to a bigger size.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Honestly, the whole thing about the stocking shelf space for the faceplates would have not been that much of a major problem. It's more of the promoting type of thing in the long run.

Yeah, the Nintendo 2DS is promoted for kids; but, all of the other 3DS have the option to turn off/control the 3D plus the smarter shell like design. It's stupid in the long run but they probably guessed that a greater majority would turn to the XL because of many different reasons while they would end up with leftovers of the regular sized new 3DS. But hey, this is the same branch that didn't localize MOTHER 3 due to many beating around the bush reasons and didn't want to original localize Xenoblade until the massive fan support showed up and they don't want to admit it.

Besides, How was the GameBoy Micro when it came to stocking it's faceplates over in NA? I remember when it came out but don't remember much about how many there were stocked in stores.

BCVM22

But hey, this is the same branch that didn't localize MOTHER 3 due to many beating around the bush reasons and didn't want to original localize Xenoblade until the massive fan support showed up and they don't want to admit it.

These "issues" couldn't possibly be any less connected to why they did or didn't choose to release one sized model of a particular hardware.

R_N

Besides, How was the GameBoy Micro when it came to stocking it's faceplates over in NA? I remember when it came out but don't remember much about how many there were stocked in stores.

well the thing about that in comparison to this situation is, like, a decade
things can and likely have changed

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
the Game Boy Micro came out a year after the DS did

the New 3DS is the latest hardware revision for the current-gen handhelds

Jb

Tsun in the streets
This normally wouldn't be an issue because I'd just import a normal N3DS from Japan.

Opps, can't. It's region locked for some reason that doesn't make sense at all no matter how you look at it.

BCVM22

The shock ending is that this is the one sole time continuing to complain about it here will change it. What a twist!

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to see I'm not alone regarding the NEW 3DS situation in NA! It's insulting, infuriating and has made me lose faith in the company. I can absolutely not believe they have done this! The regular size version is a major improvement over the initial OG model meanwhile the New 3DS XL is only a smidge better than the original XL (crappy resolution and all was retained!). I have already tweeted and will be posting on Facebook as well. I will be emailing eventually as well.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
getting told about a hardware revision that looks cool and then having it cruelly withheld with only a bigger one available is like when you ask your parents for a 3DS and they get you a Vita

count your blessings, guys: it could be worse

AuraChannelerChris

"Tis an honor to be recognized."
getting told about a hardware revision that looks cool and then having it cruelly withheld with only a bigger one available is like when you ask your parents for a 3DS and they get you a Vita

Even I can tell this is quite a massive comparison with a huge gap in between...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The whole decision just feels incredibly arbitrary and illogical though. What exactly is the problem with the NA market that they think the regular N3DS will sell worse than any other market? Honestly it's a good thing that so many people are complaining. Maybe that will convince Nintendo that there's enough demand for it.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Glad to see I'm not alone regarding the NEW 3DS situation in NA! It's insulting, infuriating and has made me lose faith in the company. I can absolutely not believe they have done this! The regular size version is a major improvement over the initial OG model meanwhile the New 3DS XL is only a smidge better than the original XL (crappy resolution and all was retained!). I have already tweeted and will be posting on Facebook as well. I will be emailing eventually as well.

#firstworldproblems. i had the OG 3ds then got the 3dsxl when pokemon x came out (cause if im playing pokemon i want a bigger screen, and the OG 3ds made my big manhands feel cramped after awhile) and after trying the xl, i dont want to go back to a smaller screen; i could care less if the games are "streched" or a lower res or what have you; it feels so good in my hands. i dont know when i'll get the new 3dsxl but i already knew from the start i was gonna get it and not the smaller one.

i hate seeing people act like these decisions are made instantly and out of malice. remember nintendo has access to all kinds of sales and demographic info that we (the consumer) do not. every region has diffrent info so they have to make decisions based on info for each region. which is something else people dont take into consideration; what works in one region may not work in another; case in point xbox seling well in us but nonexistent in japan. i studied business and advertising and such in college, so trust me when i say this decision was not made without considerable thought.

also, if people are so angry saying things like "they treat japan well and treat NA like crap" then why not just move to japan? you cleary dont like how NA gets treated so if the lack of smaller screen and faceplates (which is anyone gonna actually buy thousands and switch them hourly?) is truly that big a deal, then go live in japan, where the "fair" treatment is given.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
also, if people are so angry saying things like "they treat japan well and treat NA like crap" then why not just move to japan? you cleary dont like how NA gets treated so if the lack of smaller screen and faceplates (which is anyone gonna actually buy thousands and switch them hourly?) is truly that big a deal, then go live in japan, where the "fair" treatment is given.

For someone that studied business and advertising(PS: Prereq Buis/Adverstising isn't anything much lol), you sure said a lot of dumb stuff. The Xbox issue isn't at all comparable to this. Japan literately doesn't give a **** about Microsoft. The 3DS to NA isn't anything like that.

And lol ever more @ "why not just move to japan."

TheDragonKing

King of dragons

I'm pretty sure nobody (and I mean nobody) is going to move all the way out to Japan just because they feel that a billion-dollar company is deliberately screwing them over by not releasing a particular version of a particular console.