• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Has anyone ever sent a 3DS in for repairs? Did it get a new paint job?

I have the limited edition Zelda 3DS. Since it's going to be rare one day, I think I'm going to keep it after I get a New 3DS, but there's some scratches on the paint from being in my backpack or pocket all the time. I'd assume it'd be kept the way it is, but it'd be really nice to know so if I could have its paint fixed up.

They would not repaint it, as it's not paint. At best you'd get it back as is, at worst they'd replace the casing, and you wouldn't get your Zelda casing back.

Zachmac

They would not repaint it, as it's not paint. At best you'd get it back as is, at worst they'd replace the casing, and you wouldn't get your Zelda casing back.
Ah, that's what I figured.
Oh well. I guess it's my fault anyway. I should of kept it in a case.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I don't see why this is a big deal. I got myself a 16gb sd card and I haven't touched it since I did a system transfer. Do people regularly need to remove their sd cards?

You actually do have to remove the microSD card from the New 3DS in order to transfer your data from the old 3DS to the new one.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/How-Transfer-Data-3DS-XL-69968.html

So yeah. People claiming that it isn't an issue because you can just 'transfer the data', sorry. It still has to be opened. I don't know what to tell you here. It's right there for people to see.

I would talk about the transfer process itself in way more detail, but I think the article pretty much says it all.

I do love how they say Nintendo recommends you 'call customer support' if you don't have your original 3DS anymore ('call customer support' translation: 'we don't have a solution for the problem').

As I said before, I am still looking forward to the console when it comes out tomorrow. I just think this is a very 'Nintendo' thing for them to do. No other company I have ever done business with has made transferring data from one piece of their hardware to another piece of their hardware this needlessly tedious.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I don't see why they just can't copy Playstation and Xbox's account system. Just log in to a system, and download your old games and media from your download list.

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
I don't see why they just can't copy Playstation and Xbox's account system. Just log in to a system, and download your old games and media from your download list.

Omigawd that sounds so much easier. But then again the actual method doesn't sound too hard, the only problem is people who don't know about said method and proceed to do it themselves. But yeah, they could do something like that with the NNID. It's not too farfetch'd.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Doesn't matter if Nintendo's method is difficult or not. The simple fact of the matter is that transferring your account shouldn't take more than a minute.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

That's probably what they're going to do going forward in the future; I would expect to see it (hopefully alongside things like cross-buy/cross-save on VC and certain eShop games, standardized friend lists/achievements/etc, full web eShop to download to standby devices, social media integration, and general preparation for the inevitable all-digital future) once their next-gen console/handheld brotherhood rolls around.

Yeah, a generation behind Sony, but never late than never, I guess.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Doesn't Shovel Knight have cross-buy? At least that's one step into the right direction.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Doesn't Shovel Knight have cross-buy? At least that's one step into the right direction.

There's a couple games that have it in Europe, at least (though moreso discounts than two-for-one), and MvDK:TS is confirmed to have it worldwide, but it's not something that their current system, particularly the 3DS, is set up to do on a larger scale (MvDK:TS will give you a download code, but nothing linked to an account).

Dragonite Fan

So does anyone know if the Majora 3ds themes that come with purchasing the game will be available for separate purchase in Europe? I plan on purchasing a physical copy of the game, but I do like the themes.

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
You actually do have to remove the microSD card from the New 3DS in order to transfer your data from the old 3DS to the new one.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/How-Transfer-Data-3DS-XL-69968.html

So yeah. People claiming that it isn't an issue because you can just 'transfer the data', sorry. It still has to be opened. I don't know what to tell you here. It's right there for people to see.

I would talk about the transfer process itself in way more detail, but I think the article pretty much says it all.
I'm perfectly aware that you will have to remove it and replace it one time if you do a system transfer. I was specifically referring to the people that are making it sound as if they constantly change their SD cards. One time is not a big deal. People need to stop making it into one.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I'm perfectly aware that you will have to remove it and replace it one time if you do a system transfer. I was specifically referring to the people that are making it sound as if they constantly change their SD cards. One time is not a big deal. People need to stop making it into one.

It is a big deal for transferring data when the process takes an average of 2 to 3 hours to complete, because of how needlessly complicated it is. No kid who wants to play their new console is going to have the patience to do all this, or sit around waiting for someone to do it, and this may shock you, but not everyone that buys this owns a PC.

And that's not even counting the fact that if you don't have a charger from an old 3DS, getting one for this is going to be as one article puts it, weirdly hard.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/11/8020655/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-charger-hard-to-buy

Look, I love Nintendo as much as anybody else. They have some of the greatest IPs on the market. But this is extremely hard to defend without sounding like a blind loyalist.

That's probably what they're going to do going forward in the future; I would expect to see it (hopefully alongside things like cross-buy/cross-save on VC and certain eShop games, standardized friend lists/achievements/etc, full web eShop to download to standby devices, social media integration, and general preparation for the inevitable all-digital future) once their next-gen console/handheld brotherhood rolls around.

Yeah, a generation behind Sony, but never late than never, I guess.

Well, they're going to have to change at some point, because right now they're stuck in the past. And it's not just because of the interface for their hardware. They're stuck in the past regarding graphics, technology, and third-party support. Sooner or later, this is all going to catch up to them.

Last edited:

Dragonite Fan

Ok, New Themes available in Europe (LOZ-MM, MH4U, and that ace combat whatever plus extra)

Navarch

If I don't care about the face plates, is there any reason for me to wait for the smaller N3DS? Or should I just get the larger one? Would the larger N3DS be easier on the eyes? (As in less eyestrain?)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
If I don't care about the face plates, is there any reason for me to wait for the smaller N3DS? Or should I just get the larger one? Would the larger N3DS be easier on the eyes? (As in less eyestrain?)

The N3DS XL's only incentive to be bought is for those people who want to upgrade safely to a new console when theirs is already bricked or don't own a 3DS at all, because otherwise there are really no games meant for it and even then the only one is Xenoblade in April. In fact, it seems Japan is more prone to buying the XL version despite the smaller version existing. The only other smaller incentives it has going for now are videos on Internet Browser through Youtube and less loading times which also include eShop downloads...oh, and running Smash Bros. 3DS as it had been MEANT to be without resetting the console and limiting its other uses.

I don't know about eyestrain, but it should screw you up really badly if you overuse the use of 3D for sure, just as much as a 3DS.

We have no way of knowing if the smaller N3DS will come to NA right now, but you should gauge your incentive to wait with what I just said.

Navarch

The N3DS XL's only incentive to be bought is for those people who want to upgrade safely to a new console when theirs is already bricked or don't own a 3DS at all, because otherwise there are really no games meant for it and even then the only one is Xenoblade in April. In fact, it seems Japan is more prone to buying the XL version despite the smaller version existing. The only other smaller incentives it has going for now are videos on Internet Browser through Youtube and less loading times which also include eShop downloads...oh, and running Smash Bros. 3DS as it had been MEANT to be without resetting the console and limiting its other uses.

I don't know about eyestrain, but it should screw you up really badly if you overuse the use of 3D for sure, just as much as a 3DS.

We have no way of knowing if the smaller N3DS will come to NA right now, but you should gauge your incentive to wait with what I just said.

Thanks for replying. Leaning towards XL just because it's here now and it's bigger. Just one question:

Is there a noticeable difference in screen resolution? Do the graphics look blown up on the XL?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for replying. Leaning towards XL just because it's here now and it's bigger. Just one question:

Is there a noticeable difference in screen resolution? Do the graphics look blown up on the XL?

The screen resolution is identical between the two, so yes, they look blown up on the XL.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
All SD cards are rated in a 'standardized' (I use this word very loosely) scale. UHS-I is currently the fastest. Class 10 is probably what you'll find cheapest, they're the second fastest. All microSD cards have pretty terrible read/write speeds.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
All SD cards are rated in a 'standardized' (I use this word very loosely) scale. UHS-I is currently the fastest. Class 10 is probably what you'll find cheapest, they're the second fastest. All microSD cards have pretty terrible read/write speeds.

Aw well. Looks like I'll stick with SanDisk once more.

Besides, the N3DS is supposed to have faster downloads...right?