• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Blargh, why does the Super Mario World just have to be on a new-fangled 3DS?! I want it!!!!

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The original 3DS's technology has been shown to be incapable of running SNES games.

The N3DS basically has four times the horsepower to be able to pull it off very well.

More like Nintendo is incapable (or unwilling) of getting it to run on the original 3DS, it's absolutely doable.

Let me know when these are cross-buy.

This is probably the best joke I'll see all week.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Anyone thinking that those games wouldn't work on the 3DS are in total denial. SNES games ran perfectly fine on the Gameboy Advanced. N64 games ran fine on the Normal DS.

So why the hell would the 3DS not be able to play games my toaster can when it can run PS2 games like Tales of the Abyss perfectly fine?

This is why Nintendo is terrible. It's a clearly a plot to sell more N3DS. Good think I'm not a big enough Nintendo fan to shell out over 150$ to play games that came out almost 20 years ago

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Anyone thinking that those games wouldn't work on the 3DS are in total denial. SNES games ran perfectly fine on the Gameboy Advanced. N64 games ran fine on the Normal DS.

So why the hell would the 3DS not be able to play games my toaster can when it can run PS2 games like Tales of the Abyss perfectly fine?

This is why Nintendo is terrible. It's a clearly a plot to sell more N3DS. Good think I'm not a big enough Nintendo fan to shell out over 150$ to play games that came out almost 20 years ago

"SNES emulation isn't really a problem on the 3DS with regard to emulating the CPU. What takes up most of the processing for existing homebrew emulators for it is graphic rendering. The 3DS lacks any sort of 2D hardware in 3DS mode that systems like the GBA and DS had access to. So, other than software rendering, the other option is to attempt to use the 3D hardware. Each tile is formed with 2 triangle polygons, and each graphic cel has to be converted into the proper texture format (Z-order curve). Because there is no support for paletted textures, each graphic cell has to be converted into 16-bit direct color and stored in a cache, and the SNES's plane format can be 2-bit, 4-bit or 8-bit (with Mode7 using a normal 8-bit format). Each time a graphic cel or color palette changes, any and all tiles that used them would have to be re-converted. An 128x128 tile cache takes up 2MB of space. Color palettes can change per scanline, as can layer parameters, so that could mean 8x8 tile used on those scanlines could require having to readd them to the command buffer up to 8 times for every 8 scanlines (and possibly reconvert).

Same goes for GBA emulation on the 3DS. Most of the work is having to render the screen because it has no access to 2D hardware."

Sauce. And boom.

Not that it is impossible(Ambassador games) but you won't get good results(Ambassador games, again).

Jb

Tsun in the streets
"SNES emulation isn't really a problem on the 3DS with regard to emulating the CPU. What takes up most of the processing for existing homebrew emulators for it is graphic rendering. The 3DS lacks any sort of 2D hardware in 3DS mode that systems like the GBA and DS had access to. So, other than software rendering, the other option is to attempt to use the 3D hardware. Each tile is formed with 2 triangle polygons, and each graphic cel has to be converted into the proper texture format (Z-order curve). Because there is no support for paletted textures, each graphic cell has to be converted into 16-bit direct color and stored in a cache, and the SNES's plane format can be 2-bit, 4-bit or 8-bit (with Mode7 using a normal 8-bit format). Each time a graphic cel or color palette changes, any and all tiles that used them would have to be re-converted. An 128x128 tile cache takes up 2MB of space. Color palettes can change per scanline, as can layer parameters, so that could mean 8x8 tile used on those scanlines could require having to readd them to the command buffer up to 8 times for every 8 scanlines (and possibly reconvert).

Same goes for GBA emulation on the 3DS. Most of the work is having to render the screen because it has no access to 2D hardware."

Sauce. And boom.

Not that it is impossible(Ambassador games) but you won't get good results(Ambassador games, again).

Your source is a GameFAQs from almost a year ago in addition to why Hydros said?

lol

Nintendo could easily get this working. It's just a matter of if they were willing to put in the effort.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
I don't remember having any issues with the Ambassador games on my 3DS, honestly.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

I know, I know. I had a GBA game of Super Mario World. I still regret that I sold it.

R_N

The issue was trying to keep the other extra features of the system running. The Ambassador games completely turn them all off, and it makes it look like you're playing a rundown emulator that lacks all the extra settings.

Specifically, I think they "cheat" and just run the GBA games on the 3DS' DS' GBA emulator

BCVM22

The GBA has SNES games for it. The even released SNES versions of the SP and Micro to show it. I got A link to the Past for it.

Which is of the utmost use to a current-day gamer without who doesn't own a functioning unit of a fifteen-year-old system or its twelve-year-old backwards compatible successor.