• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Game
Singular

I mean that probably means there's a few more but this was the most baffling part of the entire direct. Announcing a remake for 3ds.........for 2019. Here, now, in March 2018.

Over the next year. As in between March 2018 and whenever 2019. There is going to be Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad, and Mario & Luigi in that span.

R_N

I replayed Partners in Time recently, the bosses honestly aren't that hard they just had overly inflated HP values. The hardest thing was the end boss gauntlet but let's get real here, Cackletta was supreme garbage to deal with.

I absolutely see why they'd skip over it, because it's never been exactly beloved, but I wouldn't call it bad

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Game
Singular

I mean that probably means there's a few more but this was the most baffling part of the entire direct. Announcing a remake for 3ds.........for 2019. Here, now, in March 2018.

Speaking of which, I wonder they will unleash on us. Four Swords Adventures port maybe?

R_N

Over the next year. As in between March 2018 and whenever 2019. There is going to be Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad, and Mario & Luigi in that span.

Ah sorry, misread what you were talking about because I am still reeling from 2019

Vipsoccermaster

It shows you that Nintendo 3DS is here to stay, even to 2019. Some of them are ports, but it's understandable. I am so getting Luigi's Mansion for 3DS.

Pokemon Power

You know, the announcement of Luigi's Mansion 1 on 3DS is getting my hopes up for Super Mario Sunshine on 3DS. And it would make sense in a bunch of ways. It's currently the only classic Super Mario game that hasn't been re-released in any form, it would be a perfect successor to Super Mario 64 DS, and it introduced some iconic characters to the series like Toadsworth, the Piantas and Nokis, Bowser Jr., and Petey Piranha.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
https://gonintendo.com/stories/307917-nintendo-working-on-new-3ds-titles-for-2019-and-beyond
While I do question this, given how the Switch has a portable mode, I do hope for a new model for the 3DS soon.

Not happening. This PR talk of keeping the 3DS supported is all about getting as much as they possibly can from the people who already own a 3DS and are still willing to buy games for it. Buying a new model of an outdated system is large step up from buying games for it. Not to mention, a new model would require people to buy a new system, and if you're choosing between a new model of 3DS and a Switch, the choice is obviously the Switch, seeing as there is nothing the 3DS can do that the Switch can't do better, with the minor exception of having two screens. It just wouldn't make any business sense.

Honestly, I'm kind of getting tired of this extended support of the 3DS. I haven't really cared that much about anything they've announced up until now, but if they keep this up, they'll eventually end up putting something on the 3DS that really should have been on the Switch instead. I already feel bad for fans of Luigi's Mansion.

Pokemon Power

Not happening. This PR talk of keeping the 3DS supported is all about getting as much as they possibly can from the people who already own a 3DS and are still willing to buy games for it. Buying a new model of an outdated system is large step up from buying games for it. Not to mention, a new model would require people to buy a new system, and if you're choosing between a new model of 3DS and a Switch, the choice is obviously the Switch, seeing as there is nothing the 3DS can do that the Switch can't do better, with the minor exception of having two screens. It just wouldn't make any business sense.

Honestly, I'm kind of getting tired of this extended support of the 3DS. I haven't really cared that much about anything they've announced up until now, but if they keep this up, they'll eventually end up putting something on the 3DS that really should have been on the Switch instead. I already feel bad for fans of Luigi's Mansion.
You are right, the extended support is kinda annoying and in some ways unnecessary. But there's got to be some reason for this.

Vipsoccermaster

The extended support for 3DS to beyond 2019 (like 2020 and 2021) is there for younger people who already has a 3DS to enjoy games for that platform. Also towards those who cannot afford a Nintendo Switch, because if you look at it, a 3DS costs $200 or less and usually a game thrown in, compared to a Switch that costs $300 and no game thrown in at this time. It's easier for younger people to gain access to Nintendo 3DS rather than the Nintendo Switch.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
While I'm surprised that Nintendo is still bringing games out next year for the 3DS. I'm not surprised that new 3DS titles will coming out next year.

In previous Generations, we've had at least few titles on the older console coming out the same year as the first Pokémon game on the newer console, which is usually a year or two in to the life of the new system. The one of biggest selling DS game was Frozen in 2013, right next to the Pokémon XY: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._nintendo_games_of_2014_isnt_what_youd_expect In the west; Final Fantasy 6 Advance was released a few month before Pokémon D/P in their respective regions. (It was due to Pokémon Diamond is the reason I never got really far in the FF6 on the GBA.)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Pokemon Power

The DS line was available at retail from 2004 to 2013. GBA lasted around 9 years too. The 3DS is two years short of that right now.

Something the 3DS has that the GBA/DS didn't have is mass digital availability for nearly every game, so even if they slowed down or even stopped production of some of the older titles, they are still available for purchase digitally at any time.
With the GBA and DS, it was a bit hard to find some of the earlier titles and you'd often have to rely on the secondhand market.
Maybe they could stop producing new games at some point (and I guess that is the point being put forward here), but at the very least I'd not be surprised if the 3DS remained available for much longer than the GBA/DS were.
Also, I guess the Switch would be the first Nintendo handheld to have no backwards compatibility whatsoever, so that adds another incentive to keep the 3DS supported (keeps DSiWare and 3DS titles available and playable.)

Consider that a parent with two children would have to pay $600 for both of their kids to have their own "handheld" (Switch), while two 2DSes only sets them back $120-$160. Even the N2DS XL brand new retails at only $150, which is half as much as the Switch while still having tons of amazing games. It's well worth continuing the support for it. :p

Don't forget that $250 was too steep of a price for a handheld (the 3DS) and they had to cut the price by $80 just a few months after release. $300 works for the Switch because it is ultimately a home console, and this is what the average buyer is buying it for. It just happens to also be playable as a handheld, which makes it even more attractive.
Remind me what the last games on those systems were.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

R_N

Furthermore, the line ups for the years they remained on the market are almost overwhelmingly tie in titles or weird offerings from companies people never heard of.
For the GBA, notable releases basically stopped in 2006 and those were mostly third party offerings. Nintendo themselves stopped doing any significant franchise work around 2005. Mother 3 being the biggest outlier but still a 2006 release. Furthermore, the release so late into the GBA's life was one of several factors working into it not being brought here.
The DS followed a similar track, but sadly wikipedia seems to have been mildly vandalized and has a lot of weird December 1 2009 (NA) placeholders. Or at least on my end? Anyway Pokemon BW2 really stood out because by that point Nintendo and its properties were just...done, basically, as were most other notable third parties, in 2011.

What's happening with the 3DS stands out because they keep making games for it seemingly without slowing down that much. Having some releases in year 2 of a new console isn't unusual, but there's an odd number of them this year and the fact there's stuff coming in 2019 from Nintendo is baffling to say the least.
Especially when Wii support ended almost instantaneously for Nintendo. Nothing past 2012 for them so far as I can see and major releases by other third parties were similarly slim (not that they weren't already....). It was just shovel ware for years aside from things like maybe skylanders (which died?) and if you REALLY want to count, ubisoft's insistence on wii versions of just dance.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
A lot of these notable games coming out are looking to be ports, games recycling existing engines, or localization of games that already came out in Japan, so I don't see an issue with them getting put on the 3DS right now. Off the top of my head, Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansion, Bowser's Inside Story, SMT: Strange Journey Redux, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, and Etrian Odyssey X all fit under one or more of those categories. Granted Atlus is not first party and could be considered an outlier since this sort of extended support isn't uncommon for them, but their games are notable support nonetheless. These games likely don't take too much development time and look like they'd have an easy profit margin so this level of support makes sense to me, I doubt it takes too much away potential time they could spend on like, Switch games. Like they have the engine from Dark Moon and Superstar Saga already so I'm sure just reusing that engine cuts down development cost a fair bit, so why not?

As surprising as it is for me to see them push this much support, extended 3DS support just sounds like a net positive to me. I'm personally not against giving my 3DS more attention with EOX and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 at the very least.