• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
A lot of these notable games coming out are looking to be ports, games recycling existing engines, or localization of games that already came out in Japan, so I don't see an issue with them getting put on the 3DS right now. Off the top of my head, Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansion, Bowser's Inside Story, SMT: Strange Journey Redux, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, and Etrian Odyssey X all fit under one or more of those categories. Granted Atlus is not first party and could be considered an outlier since this sort of extended support isn't uncommon for them, but their games are notable support nonetheless. These games likely don't take too much development time and look like they'd have an easy profit margin so this level of support makes sense to me, I doubt it takes too much away potential time they could spend on like, Switch games. Like they have the engine from Dark Moon and Superstar Saga already so I'm sure just reusing that engine cuts down development cost a fair bit, so why not?

As surprising as it is for me to see them push this much support, extended 3DS support just sounds like a net positive to me. I'm personally not against giving my 3DS more attention with EOX and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 at the very least.

I saw Mystery Dungeon out of the corner of my eye and got really excited for a second. I really need a new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game.

Pokemon Power

Four weeks left until Nintendo's E3 livestream. In terms of 3DS, the only game I'm hoping they announce is a remake of Donkey Kong 64, in similar vein to Super Mario 64 DS. you know, with a few additional playable characters and some extra Golden Bananas. Maybe a new world or two.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Four weeks left until Nintendo's E3 livestream. In terms of 3DS, the only game I'm hoping they announce is a remake of Donkey Kong 64, in similar vein to Super Mario 64 DS. you know, with a few additional playable characters and some extra Golden Bananas. Maybe a new world or two.
This game would be amazing on the New 3DS and maybe even have the option to save the photos you take of the Fairies on the SD card.

BCVM22

I'm not entirely sure they can do that. I would not surprise me at all if Donkey Kong 64 is in a sort of semi-limbo, where Nintendo can re-release it as is but not reversion it in any way.

That's a very specific hope to have out of nowhere, at any rate.

Pokemon Power

I'm not entirely sure they can do that. I would not surprise me at all if Donkey Kong 64 is in a sort of semi-limbo, where Nintendo can re-release it as is but not reversion it in any way.

Hey, nobody predicted that there would be a 3DS remake of Metroid II, and look what happened.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Hey, nobody predicted that there would be a 3DS remake of Metroid II, and look what happened.
I would argue that some people would have seen it coming due to the potential. It was a matter of when, and it didn't come as soon as people thought it might have (hence AM2R).

But more to the point, DK64 has a problem with its Rare licensing, which Rare themselves is now owned by a competing console manufacturer.

R_N

While I don't think DK64 will ever get (nor ever should, let it die) a remake, Nintendo likely owns the game in its entirety. At worst they'd remove or need special permission for the jetpack game. And for a remake that'd be probably even easier than releasing the original on vc was

to put it another way they've already gone through this song and dance
250px-Cover_DKRDS.png

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
While I don't think DK64 will ever get (nor ever should, let it die) a remake, Nintendo likely owns the game in its entirety. At worst they'd remove or need special permission for the jetpack game. And for a remake that'd be probably even easier than releasing the original on vc was

250px-Cover_DKRDS.png

That's a good point, but I think with a game like DK64, if it were to be remastered, it would more likely be a Switch release than a 3ds one.

R_N

Rare-developed, though. Would not be the case in this hypothetical and not-gonna-happen scenario.
I'd think Rare developing a remake post-merger is still relevant. Same with the 3 DKC GBA ports.

But regardless if they really wanted DK64 remade, they'd probably have no issues with it. Either get Rare to do it again (I guess out of courtsey to the originals) since microsoft clearly doesnt care that much or kick it off to Grezzo since Nintendo's the ones who own the game and its contents (sans jetpack). The only thing Rare kept in the merger was its personal IPs, Nintendo owns everything else.

I think the only game in the vein of DKC that actually has this issue is Super Mario RPG.

BCVM22

I know how the IP split worked. It's why Banjo-Kazooie was able to end up on XBLA. My thinking was simply that Rare might still have some legal claim to the code and against any attempts beyond their own to change it, is all.

Pokemon Power

250px-Cover_DKRDS.png
I agree. And another thing, Microsoft doesn't have a portable system. That's why they were able to let Nintendo do GBA remakes of the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy and the aforementioned DS remake of Diddy Kong Racing. One of the big reasons why I think there will be a 3DS remake of Donkey Kong 64 is because if they do it, then they will have come full circle on remaking Rare's Donkey Kong titles on portable systems.

Last edited: