1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by TheLupineOne, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Not happening. This PR talk of keeping the 3DS supported is all about getting as much as they possibly can from the people who already own a 3DS and are still willing to buy games for it. Buying a new model of an outdated system is large step up from buying games for it. Not to mention, a new model would require people to buy a new system, and if you're choosing between a new model of 3DS and a Switch, the choice is obviously the Switch, seeing as there is nothing the 3DS can do that the Switch can't do better, with the minor exception of having two screens. It just wouldn't make any business sense.

Honestly, I'm kind of getting tired of this extended support of the 3DS. I haven't really cared that much about anything they've announced up until now, but if they keep this up, they'll eventually end up putting something on the 3DS that really should have been on the Switch instead. I already feel bad for fans of Luigi's Mansion.

2. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

You are right, the extended support is kinda annoying and in some ways unnecessary. But there's got to be some reason for this.

3. Vipsoccermaster

Vipsoccermaster Well-Known Member

The extended support for 3DS to beyond 2019 (like 2020 and 2021) is there for younger people who already has a 3DS to enjoy games for that platform. Also towards those who cannot afford a Nintendo Switch, because if you look at it, a 3DS costs $200 or less and usually a game thrown in, compared to a Switch that costs $300 and no game thrown in at this time. It's easier for younger people to gain access to Nintendo 3DS rather than the Nintendo Switch.

4. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

While I'm surprised that Nintendo is still bringing games out next year for the 3DS. I'm not surprised that new 3DS titles will coming out next year.

In previous Generations, we've had at least few titles on the older console coming out the same year as the first Pokémon game on the newer console, which is usually a year or two in to the life of the new system. The one of biggest selling DS game was Frozen in 2013, right next to the Pokémon XY: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._nintendo_games_of_2014_isnt_what_youd_expect In the west; Final Fantasy 6 Advance was released a few month before Pokémon D/P in their respective regions. (It was due to Pokémon Diamond is the reason I never got really far in the FF6 on the GBA.)

5. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~

6. Pokemon Power

7. Pokemon Power

Remind me what the last games on those systems were.

8. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

9. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

Furthermore, the line ups for the years they remained on the market are almost overwhelmingly tie in titles or weird offerings from companies people never heard of.
    For the GBA, notable releases basically stopped in 2006 and those were mostly third party offerings. Nintendo themselves stopped doing any significant franchise work around 2005. Mother 3 being the biggest outlier but still a 2006 release. Furthermore, the release so late into the GBA's life was one of several factors working into it not being brought here.
    The DS followed a similar track, but sadly wikipedia seems to have been mildly vandalized and has a lot of weird December 1 2009 (NA) placeholders. Or at least on my end? Anyway Pokemon BW2 really stood out because by that point Nintendo and its properties were just...done, basically, as were most other notable third parties, in 2011.

What's happening with the 3DS stands out because they keep making games for it seemingly without slowing down that much. Having some releases in year 2 of a new console isn't unusual, but there's an odd number of them this year and the fact there's stuff coming in 2019 from Nintendo is baffling to say the least.
    Especially when Wii support ended almost instantaneously for Nintendo. Nothing past 2012 for them so far as I can see and major releases by other third parties were similarly slim (not that they weren't already....). It was just shovel ware for years aside from things like maybe skylanders (which died?) and if you REALLY want to count, ubisoft's insistence on wii versions of just dance.

10. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

A lot of these notable games coming out are looking to be ports, games recycling existing engines, or localization of games that already came out in Japan, so I don't see an issue with them getting put on the 3DS right now. Off the top of my head, Captain Toad, Luigi's Mansion, Bowser's Inside Story, SMT: Strange Journey Redux, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2, and Etrian Odyssey X all fit under one or more of those categories. Granted Atlus is not first party and could be considered an outlier since this sort of extended support isn't uncommon for them, but their games are notable support nonetheless. These games likely don't take too much development time and look like they'd have an easy profit margin so this level of support makes sense to me, I doubt it takes too much away potential time they could spend on like, Switch games. Like they have the engine from Dark Moon and Superstar Saga already so I'm sure just reusing that engine cuts down development cost a fair bit, so why not?

As surprising as it is for me to see them push this much support, extended 3DS support just sounds like a net positive to me. I'm personally not against giving my 3DS more attention with EOX and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 at the very least.

11. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Hey, Deku, you looking up your name on Googl-?"

You can't simply stop making games for a console that has sold way too many millions until its successor goes off to a great start to convince you otherwise.

12. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I saw Mystery Dungeon out of the corner of my eye and got really excited for a second. I really need a new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game.

13. Pokemon Power

Four weeks left until Nintendo's E3 livestream. In terms of 3DS, the only game I'm hoping they announce is a remake of Donkey Kong 64, in similar vein to Super Mario 64 DS. you know, with a few additional playable characters and some extra Golden Bananas. Maybe a new world or two.

14. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

This game would be amazing on the New 3DS and maybe even have the option to save the photos you take of the Fairies on the SD card.

Pokemon Power likes this.
  15. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure they can do that. I would not surprise me at all if Donkey Kong 64 is in a sort of semi-limbo, where Nintendo can re-release it as is but not reversion it in any way.

That's a very specific hope to have out of nowhere, at any rate.

16. Pokemon Power

Hey, nobody predicted that there would be a 3DS remake of Metroid II, and look what happened.

17. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

I would argue that some people would have seen it coming due to the potential. It was a matter of when, and it didn't come as soon as people thought it might have (hence AM2R).

But more to the point, DK64 has a problem with its Rare licensing, which Rare themselves is now owned by a competing console manufacturer.

18. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

While I don't think DK64 will ever get (nor ever should, let it die) a remake, Nintendo likely owns the game in its entirety. At worst they'd remove or need special permission for the jetpack game. And for a remake that'd be probably even easier than releasing the original on vc was

to put it another way they've already gone through this song and dance
    [​IMG]

19. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

That's a good point, but I think with a game like DK64, if it were to be remastered, it would more likely be a Switch release than a 3ds one.

20. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

one would think but the 3ds continues to march on despite my best wishes