• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok, I guess I understand how to do the transfer now, and it seems everything, including streetpass plaza is transfered. I just have one question:
Should I copy my sd to my micro sd before or after the transfer?

You have to do it after the transfer.

Dragonite Fan

You have to do it after the transfer.

Why? Are some files locked? it would make sense to back up the data on the 32 gb micro sd before transfer, no?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Why? Are some files locked? it would make sense to back up the data on the 32 gb micro sd before transfer, no?

Part of the transfer transfers some things from the internal memory to the SD card, which then have to be recopied to the internal memory on the new system, so if you copy before you'll just end up having to copy again to complete the transfer anyway.

You could backup the SD beforehand if you wanted, but you wont be able to complete the transfer with the backed up data. Or if you have a micro SD to SD adapter you can copy all the stuff to it and just use the micro SD in the adapter to initiate the transfer in your old system, and then just stick it in the new system when it's time.

Dragonite Fan

You could backup the SD beforehand if you wanted, but you wont be able to complete the transfer with the backed up data. Or if you have a micro SD to SD adapter you can copy all the stuff to it and just use the micro SD in the adapter to initiate the transfer in your old system, and then just stick it in the new system when it's time.

If I understood you correctly, this is what I thought all along- back up current 32 gb sd to new 32 gb micro sd, preform system transfer through both systems, insert 32 gb micro sd to New 3ds. No data lost?
And thanks again for all the help, I must be a real pain :p

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
If I understood you correctly, this is what I thought all along- back up current 32 gb sd to new 32 gb micro sd, preform system transfer through both systems, insert 32 gb micro sd to New 3ds. No data lost?
And thanks again for all the help, I must be a real pain :p

Yes, that is roughly the plan. Nintendo made transferring data between systems relatively. I've done it several times between DSes and a Wii/Wii U, but I've never done it with 3DSes.

Phsy-Spark

your wish is my strong recommendation
Theme shop has been updated, with Shovel Knight Spotlight, Sonic, Amy, Shadow and Chao themes, with the Sonic themes having a 5.99$ CDN bundle.

SHADOWWWWWWWWWWW.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
I just hope with this new 3DS XL they're coming out with, they greatly improved on the sound. Am i the only one who thinks the quality is just terrible?! The Wii Game Pad, heck even the DSi XL have louder sound quality than the 3DS.

JigglyKirby

Hi there! I've bought my NEW 3DS XL along with Pokemon OR/AS a few weeks ago!
I'll do the transfer during the xmas hols but before I do so, here are some questions:
1. It is preloaded with a 4gb micro SDHC card. Can I use a larger capacity (e.g. 32gb) micro SDHC card, with speed up to 48mb/s before the transfer?
2. What is the most completely satisfactory method of transferring data from the old to new? (My suggestion would be Wireless Transfer, Limited Data)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi there! I've bought my NEW 3DS XL along with Pokemon OR/AS a few weeks ago!
I'll do the transfer during the xmas hols but before I do so, here are some questions:
1. It is preloaded with a 4gb micro SDHC card. Can I use a larger capacity (e.g. 32gb) micro SDHC card, with speed up to 48mb/s before the transfer?
2. What is the most completely satisfactory method of transferring data from the old to new? (My suggestion would be Wireless Transfer, Limited Data)

1. You can use any FAT32 formatted SD card.
2. There is only one way to system transfer.

Rio!

Composer
The original 3DS model has some of the best sound quality of heard from handheld systems. It greatly eclipses any of the DS models.

Yes, it does. It's saying something too when the 3ds has a better speaker system than a laptop a friend got a couple years ago.

Also, those 3DS XLs being given away at Gamestop look pretty neat.
I just wish it was the New 3DS model. I hope that gets announced for other countries soon...

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So the preloaded 4gb micro SDHC card contains a folder called 'Nintendo 3DS'.
Do I have to copy it to the 32gb micro SDHC card and insert it before starting up for the first time?

If you haven't actually saved anything to the system yet then you don't need to. It automatically creates any system files it needs.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
There's a new system update for Nintendo 3DS. Version update 9.3.0-21. Big changes to Home menu.

Sure. Big changes, alright:

1) A Shuffle Favorites feature has been added under Change Theme in HOME Menu Settings. Users can choose multiple themes and have their theme change when the system is left in Sleep Mode from the HOME Menu or turned on after being off
2) Available software updates can now be downloaded from the HOME Menu
3) Users can now capture screenshots with both the upper and lower screens included
4) Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Point two is welcomed, though. Saves time going to the eShop.

Last edited:

GravityStorm

Got it memorized?
Sure. Big changes, alright:

1) A Shuffle Favorites feature has been added under Change Theme in HOME Menu Settings. Users can choose multiple themes and have their theme change when the system is left in Sleep Mode from the HOME Menu or turned on after being off
2) Available software updates can now be downloaded from the HOME Menu
3) Users can now capture screenshots with both the upper and lower screens included
4) Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Point two is welcomed, though. Saves time going to the eShop.

This is actually a really cool update! The change to the software update system is going to be much better than the current method, and the Theme Shuffle option makes it even more tempting to buy some themes. I've held off up until now, but they've released some surprisingly impressive Home themes since launching the service.