• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Austratus

a paper man
Yeah, so far disappointed with the lack of a non-XL model-- that's the one I was really looking forwards to. Regardless, I still feel the need to upgrade my system because I'm getting weird memory card errors on my original.

What to do...?

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
After thinking it over this morning I've decided to wait a month or two after the New 3DS XL get's released. The Majora's Mask 3DS XL edition sold out in seconds, the MH4U bundle is tempting. Maybe if it's still in stock in March or April I'll pick that up. The New 3DS has some nice new features like better 3D effect, the C-stick, ZR & LR buttons, and faster processor. However it's not something that I absolutely need right away, and it's a little disappointing to hear the slight lag spikes in X/Y, and OR/AS are fixed. Maybe in an future system update that'll support past 3DS games.

Tangeh

I'd prefer the bigger screen regardless. Downgrading to a smaller screen would bug me. I have no problems with the portability of the 3DSXL and I'm presuming the new one isn't going to be significantly bigger. 99% of the time I use my 3DSXL in my own house anyways - the only reason I'd take it anywhere might be on a plane or to a friend's house and I'd take a bag with me in both of those scenarios anyways. Sometimes I'll take it out walking and it fits nicely in my jacket pocket - or in a purse during the rare time of the year when it's warm. xD

What exactly makes the new 3DSXL not portable? .-. Especially compared to the regular new 3DS - I doubt there's a huge difference? I can see maybe the pixely effect of the bigger screen bugging certain people but I rarely notice it on my current 3DSXL, so I honestly don't see the point of a regular new 3DS anyways besides the lower price point - and even that is kind of obsolete considering this is firmly a premium product to start with.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
The XL simply weren't designed with being portable in mind unlike the normal version. It's designing to be something the family can gather around, while being placed on the table. It doesn't fit well into pants pockets and having to carry it in a bag defeats the purpose of it being portable.

I regular n/3ds is small, and less bulky. Easier on pockets, and lighter as well. Not much else to it.

Trevenant

Banned
The XL simply weren't designed with being portable in mind unlike the normal version. It's designing to be something the family can gather around, while being placed on the table. It doesn't fit well into pants pockets and having to carry it in a bag defeats the purpose of it being portable.

I regular n/3ds is small, and less bulky. Easier on pockets, and lighter as well. Not much else to it.
Um... you're severely overstating how big the XL is LOL.

I can't think of a better way to word this but are people a bunch of infants (hand-size/etc)? The XL isn't big. The tablets and phones you people lug around are a lot bulkier and harder to carry around.
I'd also like to know how the screen on a regular one could ever look better when it's so much smaller. The sweet spot for a handheld screen is about 5-7 inches, regardless of resolution. (I wish the 3DS had a higher res than 240p, but eh. Stuff is still nice)

The original 3DS was incredibly small even for when it was being developed. At least the XL is closer to a better standard of 5".

I wonder if the New 3DS still has the problems with emulating DS games that the original 3DS (and to an extent the XL but the XL fixed it a bit) where everything is discolored and artifacted heavily.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Um... you're severely overstating how big the XL is LOL.

I can't think of a better way to word this but are people a bunch of infants (hand-size/etc)? The XL isn't big. The tablets and phones you people lug around are a lot bulkier and harder to carry around.
I'd also like to know how the screen on a regular one could ever look better when it's so much smaller. The sweet spot for a handheld screen is about 5-7 inches, regardless of resolution. (I wish the 3DS had a higher res than 240p, but eh. Stuff is still nice)

The original 3DS was incredibly small even for when it was being developed. At least the XL is closer to a better standard of 5".

I wonder if the New 3DS still has the problems with emulating DS games that the original 3DS (and to an extent the XL but the XL fixed it a bit) where everything is discolored and artifacted heavily.

I don't know what sort of phone you have, but all the phones I've had (even the near 5 inch ones) are smaller than an XL, both diagonally and obviously much thinner. In addition, screen size is not the only factor, the 3DS XL fails because it's just a larger screen at the same resolution, which just makes it look like garbage. If you can't notice it, great, hold on to that. Ignorance really is bliss.

As for what you're noticing with 3DS games, there's no issues with them. All that's happening is the DS' lower resolution is being scaled and stretched to fit the 3DS' higher resolution screen. If you hold start/select when starting the game it will match it in a 1:1 pixel ratio, you'll have black bars around the image but it will all display correctly.

Trevenant

Banned
I don't know what sort of phone you have, but all the phones I've had (even the near 5 inch ones) are smaller than an XL, both diagonally and obviously much thinner. In addition, screen size is not the only factor, the 3DS XL fails because it's just a larger screen at the same resolution, which just makes it look like garbage. If you can't notice it, great, hold on to that. Ignorance really is bliss.

As for what you're noticing with 3DS games, there's no issues with them. All that's happening is the DS' lower resolution is being scaled and stretched to fit the 3DS' higher resolution screen. If you hold start/select when starting the game it will match it in a 1:1 pixel ratio, you'll have black bars around the image but it will all display correctly.
How thick it is should be irrelevant. We're not dealing with 2 year old hands here. You're also insane to think a bigger screen can't equate to something looking nicer.

There's a reason TVs and monitors get bigger per year, you know.

You're also insane to say there's "no issues". Many games (Pokemon especially) get horribly artifacted and discolored. Sprite-based games take the worst hit but 3D games aren't exactly safe.
And yes, you could have it in "1:1" if you don't mind the screen being too small, parts of it being chopped off because it hangs out of bounds because its being placed stupidly on the edge of the screens. Why isn't it centered? Why can't Nintendo program an emulator properly when DS emulators have existed for years and do a much better job than the 3DS?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
How thick it is should be irrelevant. We're not dealing with 2 year old hands here. You're also insane to think a bigger screen can't equate to something looking nicer.

We're talking about fitting it in pockets here, not holding it.

There's a reason TVs and monitors get bigger per year, you know.

There's a reason that we have 4k and 8k, you know.

You're also insane to say there's "no issues". Many games (Pokemon especially) get horribly artifacted and discolored. Sprite-based games take the worst hit but 3D games aren't exactly safe.
And yes, you could have it in "1:1" if you don't mind the screen being too small, parts of it being chopped off because it hangs out of bounds because its being placed stupidly on the edge of the screens. Why isn't it centered? Why can't Nintendo program an emulator properly when DS emulators have existed for years and do a much better job than the 3DS?

There aren't any issues, I explained what's happening. It is unavoidable, there is absolutely nothing anyone in the world could have done to remedy it. Also, when using the 1:1 mapping, it is centred, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

If huge screens was what everyone wanted, the Vita would be selling like hotcakes.

It's not even the screens that are issue by themselves. If people like them, then good for them, but to only bring XL, the version who's games aren't even optimized for is stupid.

It's like selling a blu-ray player and only having TV's from the 90's to use with it.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
If huge screens was what everyone wanted, the Vita would be selling like hotcakes.

It's not even the screens that are issue by themselves. If people like them, then good for them, but to only bring XL, the version who's games aren't even optimized for is stupid.

It's like selling a blu-ray player and only having TV's from the 90's to use with it.

I would say it's more like selling HD TVs but only having DVD players or VCRs to use with them.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I still don't get the fuss behind the lack of the basic New 3DS over at US. Yes, it is cheaper and has customization, but come on, what matters really is gaming, people! And the XL one has bigger screens than the basic one! Yeah, the XL may be more expensive than the basic one, but it has its pros too.

Despite that, I haven't decided which model to buy, though lol.

...That's not the point. What's so hard to understand? There are people who don't want the XL for various reasons. And "what matters really is gaming, people!"? You just mentioned the smaller model was cheaper! It could have been sold for $160-$170, and while that's already a lot of money, people could still have saved $30-40 getting it instead of the XL, and even gotten a game with it. There's a reason why OPTIONS are a thing. If Nintendo does sell the n3DS, but only as a $500 bundle with the Wii U, will you accept it and say "what really matters is gaming, people!"? Of course not. You're not given an option to purchase the n3DS by itself and are forced to get something you also didn't want.

Trevenant

Banned
We're talking about fitting it in pockets here, not holding it.

There's a reason that we have 4k and 8k, you know.

There aren't any issues, I explained what's happening. It is unavoidable, there is absolutely nothing anyone in the world could have done to remedy it. Also, when using the 1:1 mapping, it is centred, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Are you thinner than Twiggy or something? How can you not have the 3DSXL in your pockets?

Which also come in "bloated" monitor sizes. 8K also isn't really a thing yet for consumers so it's pointless to mention that, hell, 4K is barely even a thing.
Must be sad, wondering why bigger screen-sizes would look nicer.

1:1 isn't centered. What the hell are you talking about? The top screen will cling downward toward the touch-screen and similar for the touch-screen (being thrusted upward). Neither screen is centered.
Also poor guy. Has no idea what upscaling is. :(

...That's not the point. What's so hard to understand? There are people who don't want the XL for various reasons. And "what matters really is gaming, people!"? You just mentioned the smaller model was cheaper! It could have been sold for $160-$170, and while that's already a lot of money, people could still have saved $30-40 getting it instead of the XL, and even gotten a game with it. There's a reason why OPTIONS are a thing. If Nintendo does sell the n3DS, but only as a $500 bundle with the Wii U, will you accept it and say "what really matters is gaming, people!"? Of course not. You're not given an option to purchase the n3DS by itself and are forced to get something you also didn't want.
It was cheaper because it was inferior and at that point, old. It wasn't cheaper because it was a same-time budget model or something.

You also fail to recognize that the New 3DS is a hardware revision. It is not a new console. Very few people are going to notice or share about it in the long run. It'll do better than most hardware revisions sans the GBA SP or others that were actually notable, but it will not be a blockbuster or must-have. It has what... one exclusive game so far? A port?

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Are you thinner than Twiggy or something? How can you not have the 3DSXL in your pockets?

Which also come in "bloated" monitor sizes. 8K also isn't really a thing yet for consumers so it's pointless to mention that.

1:1 isn't centered. What the hell are you talking about? The top screen will cling downward toward the touch-screen and similar for the touch-screen (being thrusted upward). Neither screen is centered.
Also poor guy. Has no idea what upscaling is. :(

So wait, you want them centered in the exact middle of the screen? The way they did it makes sense to me, but I guess having another option would be fine.

And unfortunately for you I know exactly what upscaling does, I think you may be the one who doesn't. What the 3DS is doing is upscaling. The upscaling could be better, but it will never compare to native resolution, that is the nature of the technology.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
It was cheaper because it was inferior and at that point, old. It wasn't cheaper because it was a same-time budget model or something.

What's your point? The n3DS still has the same hardware upgrades the n3DS XL has, and would have been cheaper to boot. No one but the hardcore cares if something is "inferior" or not. Why do you think there are still people buying DVDs instead of Blu-ray?

Tangeh

I've seen phones that come close in length / width (not thickness of course), the galaxys for example. The s5 is close to 6 inches. I think he was thinking more along the lines of an iPad though. xD

Why would I need to put a 3DS in my pocket in the first place? A phone you'd need to take out and check, but I can't imagine anybody doing this every few minutes with a 3DS. Unless you don't like carrying a bag around, which I guess could be understandable if the only thing you wanted to take with you somewhere was a 3DS (I carry a bag everywhere with me so xD). Still, saying a 3DSXL isn't portable is like saying a laptop isn't portable and you can probably guess which of those two devices leaves my house multiple times a day for class and which one almost never does.

Yeah I've heard a few people complain about the 3DSXL's resolution but I really don't notice it. If I look for it I can see it, but it isn't something that ever distracts from the game. I've never owned a regular 3DS so that could be why. The bigger picture absolutely makes it worth it in my opinion.

Zachmac

Small screens aren't all that bad, honestly. You get used to them.

I never would of upgraded to XL if my old 3DS didn't stop working.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah I've heard a few people complain about the 3DSXL's resolution but I really don't notice it. If I look for it I can see it, but it isn't something that ever distracts from the game. I've never owned a regular 3DS so that could be why. The bigger picture absolutely makes it worth it in my opinion.

A lot of people will never notice, and that's fine. I'm sure if you compared side by side you could probably tell, but even then there will be people that just don't care, or think it still looks fine. But there are those who do notice and don't fine it fine. It's just very odd to not have both options.

Tangeh

A lot of people will never notice, and that's fine. I'm sure if you compared side by side you could probably tell, but even then there will be people that just don't care, or think it still looks fine. But there are those who do notice and don't fine it fine. It's just very odd to not have both options.

I'd imagine because the majority of people would opt for the bigger screen - either because they don't care about (or aren't aware of, which I'm sure is mostly the case) the resolution, they think bigger = better, they feel it would be a downgrade from a 3DSXL, or they are a parent who figures the bigger screen will be better for their child's eyesight (...AKA my parents when I was a kid. I had to use one of those magnifying contraptions for my GBA lol). Probably other reasons too. If Nintendo feels that they'll make more money by only putting out the bigger size, then it's probably the case based on how well the 3DSXL sold vs the 3DS - it does make sense to me.

Trevenant

Banned
So wait, you want them centered in the exact middle of the screen? The way they did it makes sense to me, but I guess having another option would be fine.

And unfortunately for you I know exactly what upscaling does, I think you may be the one who doesn't. What the 3DS is doing is upscaling. The upscaling could be better, but it will never compare to native resolution, that is the nature of the technology.
Well yes, of course I'd want them centered. It's the only way it would make sense. Not like it matters. It's really awkward using the touch-screen when you downscale it to 1:1 like that.

That's not proper upscaling. The discoloration and blurriness are inexcusable.
You're also quite wrong. Upscaling can look a lot nicer in many cases. See: The HD mods for PS2/GC/Wii emulators. Those are upscaled yet are much nicer than the original consoles. I wonder why?

What's your point? The n3DS still has the same hardware upgrades the n3DS XL has, and would have been cheaper to boot. No one but the hardcore cares if something is "inferior" or not. Why do you think there are still people buying DVDs instead of Blu-ray?
No one but the hardcore care if something is inferior oh god my sides hurt.
Oh god.

Not even going to honor that one a serious reply.

Let's see, maybe because the age of digital started basically when Blu-Rays became big? Or because Blu-Ray players are still hellishly expensive for an unnoticeable quality increase?

It's cheaper to only produce one model, not two. The XL is the better model thus it is the only one made. Again, this isn't a new console. It's a hardware revision. If you do not need the revised hardware, don't buy it.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Well yes, of course I'd want them centered. It's the only way it would make sense. Not like it matters. It's really awkward using the touch-screen when you downscale it to 1:1 like that.

That's not proper upscaling. The discoloration and blurriness are inexcusable.
You're also quite wrong. Upscaling can look a lot nicer in many cases. See: The HD mods for PS2/GC/Wii emulators. Those are upscaled yet are much nicer than the original consoles. I wonder why?

As someone who has actually emulated all three of those consoles, there is so much more going on there than just upscaling.