• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Kids who break things out of impatience have anger issues. Plain and simple. :/

Kids that break things don't generally do it because they have anger issues. They do it because they're excited to play with their new toy, and they don't always have the patience to wait for the adult to assemble anything that needs assembling.

The lack of a charger, however, is a different story, but has a solution: BUY ONE YOURSELF. I assume (I know I should never assume but whatever) that Nintendo will but on the box: "Does not include an AC adapter." I hope parents are not so stupid that they will ignore this, have their kids complain about the non-rechargeable batteries, and then complain to Nintendo because of it. But then again, never underestimate people's stupidity.

In short: yes, there is no excuse. Parents who don't know any better will blab about how there is no way to recharge the n3DS they just bought for their spoiled brat kid, and it will be Nintendo's fault (somewhat, if the parents didn't bother to read the box).

That's the point though. Nintendo should just include a charger with the console. Generally, when you release a product, you want to release the product with everything needed to make it functional and self-sufficient. It would be the same as if Microsoft or Sony released their next gen consoles without power cords. Nintendo is the only company that is doing this with their game system. And it's one of the dumbest decisions I've seen one of the Big Three companies make (and I've called out MS and Sony on some dumb choices in the past too).

You can blame the consumer for not reading the fine print until you're blue in the face (which is the worst thing you can do when you run a company), but here's the reality of the situation. The consumer is the one paying for your product. The consumer is the one keeping your company afloat. The responsibility falls on you as the owner of the company to come up with ways to ensure the consumers come back to you when you release new products. Omitting an item necessary for your product to function is only going to isolate consumers and cause them to look to other companies that don't do this.

That customer that would have bought your console is more likely to say, 'Wait a second. There's no power adapter for that console, and the store I was planning to buy it at doesn't sell the adapter. Well, I don't want to drive all the way to another store to look for an AC adapter. So I'll just buy a $200 Tablet instead, which DOES have the power supply included.' I see customers like this all the time where I shop. People don't like to waste gas going to another store to buy something that the first store doesn't have in stock.

And I know what you're thinking. One customer isn't going to make a difference. This is true. One customer is only a loss of $200. But TEN customers is a loss of $2,000, and a hundred customers is a loss of $20,000. All of a sudden, it doesn't seem like such a minor issue anymore when you start isolating customers, especially when you consider the rule of fifths and hundredths.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Kids that break things don't generally do it because they have anger issues. They do it because they're excited to play with their new toy, and they don't always have the patience to wait for the adult to assemble anything that needs assembling.

He's not doing anything different than you are in saying that.

That customer that would have bought your console is more likely to say, 'Wait a second. There's no power adapter for that console, and the store I was planning to buy it at doesn't sell the adapter. Well, I don't want to drive all the way to another store to look for an AC adapter. So I'll just buy a $200 Tablet instead, which DOES have the power supply included." I see customers like this all the time where I shop. People don't like to waste gas going to another store to buy something that the first store doesn't have in stock.

You're extrapolating towards absurdity here.

And I know what you're thinking. One customer isn't going to make a difference. This is true. One customer is only a loss of $200. But TEN customers is a loss of $2,000, and a hundred customers is a loss of $20,000. All of a sudden, it doesn't seem like such a minor issue anymore when you start isolating customers, especially when you consider the rule of fives and hundreds.

One hundred customers and $20,000 would still be fractionally tiny. If anything, if Nintendo could fix the odds so that only one hundred consumers, out of what one imagines will be hundreds of thousands at least, will have (or create) some sort of issue with their hardware, they might take those odds.

TheDragonKing

King of dragons

I don't know about you, but if were a kid and I was excited to play my new game console, I'd try not to break it within the first hour. And there is nothing on the n3DS that needs assembling, so that point is completely irrelevant.

That's the point though. Nintendo should just include a charger with the console. Generally, when you release a product, you want to release the product with everything needed to make it functional and self-sufficient. It would be the same as if Microsoft or Sony released their next gen consoles without power cords. Nintendo is the only company that is doing this with their game system.

It may not be a big deal to you, or anyone else who doesn't really care where their money goes. But I'm a little bit more frugal with my money, and if I'm going to put $200 down for a console or device, I'm going to expect it to come with everything needed to make it functional. And yes, parents will complain about this (and potentially return the console).

You can blame the consumer until you're blue in the face (which is the worst thing you can do when you own a company), but here's the reality of the situation. The consumer is the one paying for your product. The consumer is the one keeping your company afloat. The responsibility falls on you as the owner of the company to come up with ways to ensure the consumers come back to you when you release new products. Omitting an item necessary for your product to function is only going to isolate consumers and cause them to look to other companies that don't do this.

That customer that would have bought your console is more likely to say, 'Wait a second. There's no power adapter for that console, and the store I was planning to buy it at doesn't sell the adapter. Well, I don't want to drive all the way to another store to look for an AC adapter. So I'll just buy a $200 Tablet instead, which DOES have the power supply included.' I see customers like this all the time where I shop. People don't like to waste gas going to another store to buy something that the first store doesn't have in stock.

And I know what you're thinking. One customer isn't going to make a difference. This is true. One customer is only a loss of $200. But TEN customers is a loss of $2,000, and a hundred customers is a loss of $20,000. All of a sudden, it doesn't seem like such a minor issue anymore when you start isolating customers.

You're saying that all like you're arguing, but I agree, not including an AC adapter was not the best decision on their part.

And no, you don't know what I'm thinking.

EDIT: To build on what BVC-whatever-your-name-is said, a few customers moving away from Nintendo because of one power cord will be next to nothing. They have been losing (and gaining) customers for years, that's how business is. 2000 dollars less in their pocket doesn't matter when they've got billions at their disposal.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I don't know about you, but if were a kid and I was excited to play my new game console, I'd try not to break it within the first hour. And there is nothing on the n3DS that needs assembling, so that point is completely irrelevant.

You're saying that all like you're arguing, but I agree, not including an AC adapter was not the best decision on their part.

And no, you don't know what I'm thinking.

EDIT: To build on what BVC-whatever-your-name-is said, a few customers moving away from Nintendo because of one power cord will be next to nothing. They have been losing (and gaining) customers for years, that's how business is. 2000 dollars less in their pocket doesn't matter when they've got billions at their disposal.

I wasn't necessarily arguing with you though (hence starting the post with 'Well, that's my point.'). And the whole 'I know what you're thinking' part wasn't really meant for you (it was meant for the reader in general, who might be thinking that). The only part that was a direct response to what you said was the first little paragraph. Everything else was just my take on it and for whoever might be reading this.

But what you have to understand when you're talking about a few customers is there is a rule in business called the Rule of Fifths and Hundredths (this is a rule that BCVM22 conveniently forgets when he tries to defend Nintendo's decisions). Basically, it goes like this. If a customer has a positive experience, you can expect them to tell up to five people. If a person has a negative experience, you can expect them to tell as many as a hundred. And the reason this happens is because people tend to remember the negative things for a longer time than the positive things. That's just a fact of life when it comes to the business world.

Last edited:

Recon

I wasn't necessarily arguing with you though (hence starting the post with 'Well, that's my point.'). And the whole 'I know what you're thinking' part wasn't really meant for you (it was meant for the reader in general, who might be thinking that). The only part that was a direct response to what you said was the first little paragraph. Everything else was just my take on it and for whoever might be reading this.

But what you have to understand when you're talking about a few customers is there is a rule in business called the Rule of Fifths and Hundredths (this is a rule that BCVM22 conveniently forgets when he tries to defend Nintendo's decisions). Basically, it goes like this. If a customer has a positive experience, you can expect them to tell up to five people. If a person has a negative experience, you can expect them to tell as many as a hundred. And the reason this happens is because people tend to remember the negative things for a longer time than the positive things. That's just a fact of life when it comes to the business world.

I guess Nintendo must be doing something right, because last I checked, they made a profit, and since they made a profit, they must have had more customers!

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I guess Nintendo must be doing something right, because last I checked, they made a profit, and since they made a profit, they must have had more customers!

They've always done right in games, but their hardware effing sucks.

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
No, their hardware is pretty dang good too. Don't forget, Nintendium.

If anything their devices are sturdier than others, at least when confronted with more... environmental hazards. Or they used to be, anyway. Haven't heard as many survival stories lately. They're always vulnerable to general wear and tear.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
No, their hardware is pretty dang good too. Don't forget, Nintendium.

If anything their devices are sturdier than others, at least when confronted with more... environmental hazards. Or they used to be, anyway. Haven't heard as many survival stories lately. They're always vulnerable to general wear and tear.

I don't mean sturdyness, but rather the OS (which i guess is software based rather than hardware based) and the hardware components packed into the 3DS and Wii U. They had to release a new handheld to stop the 3DS OS from sucking so much.

Recon

I don't mean sturdyness, but rather the OS (which i guess is software based rather than hardware based) and the hardware components packed into the 3DS and Wii U. They had to release a new handheld to stop the 3DS OS from sucking so much.

Like the Vita to the PSP? That went realllllll well.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna

Yeah, what's your point? Not like the 3DS will even be able to reach 1/3 of what the DS sold.

I was talking about my problem with the 3DS, not the freaking Vita.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

It did, the Vita's software is superior to the 3DS in everyway anyway.

Recon

It did, the Vita's software is superior to the 3DS in everyway anyway.

I'm talking sales wise. It's still at the bottom of the barrel in that regard. It does have a somewhat loyal fan base but not much in terms of game diversity outside of Japan , unless you really like to play old games.

That's how I see the N3DS doing really, not too great, but has a loyal enough fan base to have decent sales. At least it's able to use the regular 3DS library, so it's a little better than what the Vita tried to do.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I'm talking sales wise. It's still at the bottom of the barrel in that regard. It does have a somewhat loyal fan base but not much in terms of game diversity outside of Japan , unless you really like to play old games.

That's how I see the N3DS doing really, not too great, but has a loyal enough fan base to have decent sales. At least it's able to use the regular 3DS library, so it's a little better than what the Vita tried to do.

Nothing's ever going to top Nintendo's handheld line. PSP/Vita were doing far better than the rest. If sony didn't gimp with the memory cards, and released the slim at launch, Vita could have possibly been on top.

All Nintendo has is it's loyal fanbase at this point. Also the Vita has bigger library than the 3DS. It just doesn't have them system sellers like Pokemon which is annoying because there are a ton of people who legit but one only for that game.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
They've always done right in games, but their hardware effing sucks.

Yeah, being a Nintendo fan pretty much means accepting that they're going to be comparatively inferior in basically every area besides game software development.

Recon

Nothing's ever going to top Nintendo's handheld line. PSP/Vita were doing far better than the rest. If sony didn't gimp with the memory cards, and released the slim at launch, Vita could have possibly been on top.

All Nintendo has is it's loyal fanbase at this point. Also the Vita has bigger library than the 3DS. It just doesn't have them system sellers like Pokemon which is annoying because there are a ton of people who legit but one only for that game.

There's also a bunch of other issues with Sony's Vita campagin, but they can be lumped into not advertising aggressively

At least Nintendo can cash in on it. Last I heard, Playstation fans want a new Spyro and/or Crash Bandicoot. Instead, the Vita's getting a lot ports and pretty much the same anime-styled (dare I say it) crap.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna

If you're talking about this generation's hardware sales so far, the Wii U is the one that's still at the bottom of the barrel. The Vita has sold 2-3M more. And not a lot of diversity? Spoken like someone who probably doesn't even have a Vita. And what did the Vita do? The Vita Slim still plays every Vita game.

There's also a bunch of other issues with Sony's Vita campagin, but they can be lumped into not advertising aggressively

At least Nintendo can cash in on it. Last I heard, Playstation fans want a new Spyro and/or Crash Bandicoot. Instead, the Vita's getting a lot ports and pretty much the same anime-styled (dare I say it) crap.
Both Vita and Wii U suffer from a lot of things, but yeah lack of marketing affects them both a great deal. Both total flops.

Playstation has never owned Crash or Spyro. Activision owned them both after buying Universal, and Spyro is now as huge as COD thanks to the sweeping success of Skylanders. They're doing jacksquat to Crash though, and there has been hints of Playstation buying back Crash from Activision, but nothing concrete yet. And forget about what I said above. You do own a Vita. You buy and play so many Vita games, you are able to confidently say the anime styled games are crap because obviously you can't review something unless you've experienced it! I thought Persona 4 Golden was great, but if you say it's crap, I guess I'll have to go trade it in at GameStop for $0.50 store credit immediately.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

Those "crap" anime games are pretty much better than anything on the 3DS. In fact, the 3DS's best games are anime styled

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
While I find the idea that all anime style games on the vita are bad (Persona 4 Golden is one of the best JRPGs released) and games like Criminal Girls, Akiba's Trip, Mind/Zero and Freedom Wars being better than anything on the 3ds like SMTIV, Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter 3/4 Ultimate completely laughable (personally think the 3DS has more polished collection of JRPG and action games), this is not the thread for silly system/list wars so cut it out please.

Last edited:

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Those "crap" anime games are pretty much better than anything on the 3DS. In fact, the 3DS's best games are anime styled

Woah, that's a huge overstatement because I wouldn't rank any if the best 3DS games as being "anime styled".