• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo continues to mess with Earthbound/Mother fans, with some help.

woot21

super noob
Article

For those of you too lazy to click, you won't get to see the pic.

Roid is a "non-console" from developer Level 5, but rather, a web portal used by the dev to sell PC and mobile games. The new issue of Famitsu hints at what to expect.

According to the article, "A surprise, big title is also slated to appear." Below that is a picture of classic Japanese role-playing-game Mother, better known as Earthbound in the West.

Next to the picture is a capture stating that new titles are scheduled for ROID — like perhaps that RPG.

Mother first went on sale in 1989, and was created by Shigesato Itoi, who's a famed copywriter and TV personality in Japan. He also voiced Mei's father in anime My Neighbor Totoro.

In 2006, Mother 3 was released in Japan, but hasn't gotten an official English localization.

So, Nintendo continues to mess with our minds, and is getting help from outside the company now. Is Mother going to be on this "Roid" thing, will it be a new Mother, or is Mother in no way related to "Roid" and this is just a big joke for the next issue? Also, isn't the new Famitsu the April issue? Is April Fool's Day big in Japan? Or is Famitsu just being dumb, because those aren't the Mother or Earthbound sprites.

woot21 out dawgs

BCVM22

A Nintendo title appearing on a mobile/PC distribution service strikes me as unlikely. It's intriguing information but I would recommend avoiding jumping to any conclusions just yet.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
A Nintendo title appearing on a mobile/PC distribution service strikes me as unlikely. It's intriguing information but I would recommend avoiding jumping to any conclusions just yet.

Recommend all you want, but the amount of people that are going to jump to conclusions anyway will cause more fatalities then if Captain Falcon started Kickboxing.

All the same, I don't think this will reach England, true or not.

Chris

Old Coot
Not only this, but I really love how Mother fans seem to think Nintendo has some personal vendetta against the non-Japanese fanbase by not releasing anything outside of Japan.

Spindash Master

I really doubt it, a new Mother game in its self hard to believe even more so with it suppose to be appearing on this Roid thing.

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
Meh, Lucas and Ness are good characters in brawl, but I don't play EB.

But, I'll say this, Nintendo loves to mess with people's minds.

They give us a God pokemon, and no way to get it.

GENIUS.

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
Meh, Lucas and Ness are good characters in brawl, but I don't play EB.

But, I'll say this, Nintendo loves to mess with people's minds.

They give us a God pokemon, and no way to get it.

GENIUS.

Cyan

Mortal
If this existed, two things will happen:

1) BCVM will eat his hat. His good hat.

2) A pig will fly past my window and it'll start rainin' men.

BCVM22

That's not true at all.

I don't have nearly enough interest in Earthbound to wager any of hats, much less my good ones.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
You can now shut up about them torturing the western side of the Earth. Reggie has been talking to Iwata about localization.
Source
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009...ts-to-set-the-record-straight-about-mother-3/

Text
MTV Multiplayer: We used to talk about “Mother 3” [the highly-regarded 2006 Japanese role-playing game that has never been released in America, despite a fervent Internet fan movement]. And then I stopped asking you about it after a while.

Fils-Aime: I’m a big “Mother” fan. I have to set the record straight on this topic, because I have seen all of the hate comments. I’m a big “Mother” fan. Huge “Mother” fan. I would love to see “Mother” localized in our market. In fact, I’ve talked to [Nintendo president] Mr. Iwata about it because this is a game he has some history with. [pauses] But it is not on our announcement schedule. [laughs]

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
You can now shut up about them torturing the western side of the Earth. Reggie has been talking to Iwata about localization.
Source
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009...ts-to-set-the-record-straight-about-mother-3/

Text
MTV Multiplayer: We used to talk about “Mother 3” [the highly-regarded 2006 Japanese role-playing game that has never been released in America, despite a fervent Internet fan movement]. And then I stopped asking you about it after a while.

Fils-Aime: I’m a big “Mother” fan. I have to set the record straight on this topic, because I have seen all of the hate comments. I’m a big “Mother” fan. Huge “Mother” fan. I would love to see “Mother” localized in our market. In fact, I’ve talked to [Nintendo president] Mr. Iwata about it because this is a game he has some history with. [pauses] But it is not on our announcement schedule. [laughs]

Reggie is cake. Also, look what day it is for the next 7 minutes (At least for me anyways).

BCVM22

Didn't you pull up a hat-eating thing last time that idea was brought up?

I might have. M'hats are all still here, though.

Reggie is cake. Also, look what day it is for the next 7 minutes (At least for me anyways).

Even if that is a Fool's fabrication, he says what you'd expect, i.e. "we know there's a relatively small following for the series in America but we're not going to waste money localizing and releasing a last-generation title just to satisfy 10,000 people."

Last edited:

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
Let's be hypothetical for a second and say that this IS a new Mother game, then NOA and NOE would be downright insane not to release it in America and Europe after all the agro and nagging they got from Mother 3. Although it makes little sense to now release Mother 3, except for the inevitable compilation of all 3 games, i think Nintendo have learned their lesson for next time.