• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Nintendo Direct Thread

Trevenant

Banned
Oh boy that Majora's Mask XL is horrific.

Why can't Nintendo get it through their thick skulls? Having cool colors or designs doesn't matter IF IT'S ON PARTS OF THE SYSTEM YOU WILL NEVER SEE. There is PLENTY of space for designs on the FRONT OF THE SYSTEM WHERE YOU'D ACTUALLY SEE IT (buttons/screen/etc).

Barring that, why are we back to the dual color (gold/black) design?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Q3 2012. Bayonetta 2, exclusive to the Wii U. I think it was announced on the very last Nintendo Direct before the Wii U launched.

I'd hardly call that a "bombshell". But yeah, they rarely announce big games in Nintendo Directs, most of their big games are saved for E3. The only exceptions I can think of are Pokemon XY (which got a Direct to itself) and Kirby Triple Deluxe.

Trevenant

Banned
Nintendo's issue with hyping is that they reveal every little detail of a game before its release. This was done with OR/AS, which just further served along with a colossal amount of other issues to make the final product so disappointing---zero surprises make it feel like it's pointless to get. You know exactly what's in it before it even comes out.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
That "Fire Emblem If" reveal trailer to start things off with... Really glad to see that Awakening is getting a sequel in a sense after the whole talk that Awakening was going to be the final entry in the series if it didn't sell well. When it first came up, I thought it was Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem - which is either canned in favor of this or is going to be held off until E3 if it's still alive.

It's also great to see that Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming to eShop along with other Wii titles since it makes the ridiculous high prices more easier to avoid while still getting a legit reward in a legit way.

Codename Steam has gone from a plausible to a definite yes after that reveal of amiibo functionality with Fire Emblem characters and all.

The only disappointment was Pokèmon Shuffle since it's a Freemium game. Business wise, It's smart and I like it that they are trying to keep up with modern times; Consumer wise, it's an addiction machine.

It's great to see that Donkey Kong is back as a playable character along with the addition of Rosalina in Mario Party 10. The best thing I have to say now about the game is the amiibo Party because it's a really clever edition to the series and kind of reminds you of the Mario Party eReader game. Though what would be interesting if we see future DLC make it's way in the future like Mario Kart 8.

Lastly, 'new' 3DS XL is coming out alongside MM3D in the states! Can't believe that it is going to be released here in about 30 days after the system was just announced today and Majora's announced back in November. I was expecting it to be sometime around the middle of March but early February is sure way better to me.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay, so they sure found a way to keep me interested for the whole Direct. Opening with a new Fire Emblem title? I'm interested, kinda hope it's a completely new game but another Mystery of the Emblem to Awakening type transition would be cool too. The battle transitions look fantastic as well. Hopefully they learned from Awakening's releases and don't have the US and especially EU waiting so long after Japanese release. Also delays.

No Pokemon outside of spin-offs was expected, though it's interesting to see them continue with a more puzzle centric variation of Trozei. They really do seem to be pushing this puzzle game thing though I'm not surprised. Also a lot of cool amiibo compatibility, I hadn't considered the Fire Emblem amiibos getting use in another game and fitting the art style is very clever.

Seeing Wii games added to the Wii U eShop is a fantastic addition too, Nintendo showed off a lot of neat stuff even if I'm really only interested in Fire Emblem.

Oh yeah, and with coverage on Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fossil Fighters and Splatoon feel free to bump those existing threads for those games/series.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So basically, we're getting Pokemon Trozei 3...Why?

Was there even anything major that set that game apart from Trozei 2?

sheld999

when people are hating on gamefreak for making pokemon shuffle when gamefreak didn't even made it...

we might wait till E3 for next stage of pokemon series main titles,, but gamefreak and nintendo are known to announce things surprisingly before e3 before

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod

Pokemon Shuffle is much more puzzle oriented and you can take your time while Battle Trozei was all about speed and scoring long combo streaks. This game is also free (hence the microtransactions) so it's basically a Pokemon equivalent of what many mobile games these days are like. Also Battle Trozei had no Mega Evolution so that's a new mechanic they're adding to this one.

I actually legitimately enjoyed Battle Trozei enough to 100% the game so I'll probably give this a shot too.

Trevenant

Banned

It's Candy Crush Pokemon Saga. Please don't call it Trozei. Please.

when people are hating on gamefreak for making pokemon shuffle when gamefreak didn't even made it...

we might wait till E3 for next stage of pokemon series main titles,, but gamefreak and nintendo are known to announce things surprisingly before e3 before
I agree. It's the oafs from Genius Sonority, responsible for ruining Dragon Warrior/Quest releases in America for many years because they wanted to break up Heartbeat. They didn't "go on hiatus", they broke off to do other projects.

Really lame Direct but who's really surprised. Waifu Simblem is probably the best announcement which is saying something.
Nintendo adopting freemium isn't a very good prospect considering they've already adopted season passes. I think they're becoming a bit too modern in some areas too quickly. The overfocus on Amiibo is going to quickly bite Nintendo in the *** really hard considering it's not helping their dead console and it won't do anything for the 3DS. Doesn't help that many people have no faith in them anymore due to the constant manufacturing "errors" and the fact that none of them look like their advertised pictures.

No rush to get the N3DSXL. Have to wait for the solid color models which cost more (dual color was a bad idea Nintendo, FYI), then you have to deal with the fact that Nintendo products never change in price. So there's really no hurry.

Zachmac

I'm satisfied. I didn't go in expecting much, so seeing a new Fire Emblem was good enough for me.

That Xenoblade Chronicles X Trailer was just beatiful.
Waifu Simblem is probably the best announcement which is saying something.
Have you ever even played an FE game not called Awakening, by the way?
Waifus are actually a new thing to the franchise.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Looks like Australia actually gets the themed new!3ds models, and MM/MH on the 14th of Feb. Oh well, one day later (and it's a saturday too, which suits if anything because work. :V) We also do not get the bundles, just the two separately. Oh well, at least we get it. Preordered the MH 3DS XL model, and will preorder the game instore... and pricematch later. >:]

Oh, and neat direct overall imo. Gotta try and nab Galaxy 2 for cheap when I get home (never played it), and I quite liked what they showed of Xenoblade X. So many environments already...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I never said that I blamed Gamefreak, or that that I wanted information on another Pokemon Game, I just thought a new puzzle game so soon was odd, especially when it, at least superficially, looked a lot like Trozei.

Pokemon Shuffle is much more puzzle oriented and you can take your time while Battle Trozei was all about speed and scoring long combo streaks. This game is also free (hence the microtransactions) so it's basically a Pokemon equivalent of what many mobile games these days are like. Also Battle Trozei had no Mega Evolution so that's a new mechanic they're adding to this one.

I actually legitimately enjoyed Battle Trozei enough to 100% the game so I'll probably give this a shot too.

The route they're taking with it though does disturb me. I only just got my first smart phone a couple of months ago, and the number of so-called "free to play" games that really weren't free was culture shock to me. I hope this isn't the start of a new trend. I'll play to whatever extant that I can play it having remain free, but I don't see myself pouring money into it.

Another question, is this game another cross over with that puzzle series mentioned before they announced this? I rewatched the video, and they seemed to look exactly the same, they were placed right next to each other, and they made no comment about them be different, but at the same time, they never said they were the same.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
He meant Marth is speaking in audible English, not just simply in English text boxes.

Screw consistency, right? I want to hear who's voicing him.

Spike Spencer, hopefully.

For real consistency.

Rakurai

Well, now I'm more hyped about Xenoblade X then ever.

Tons of diversity in the environments and no shortage of oversized creatures that probably aren't very friendly for the most part is going to make exploring thrilling.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I never said that I blamed Gamefreak, or that that I wanted information on another Pokemon Game, I just thought a new puzzle game so soon was odd, especially when it, at least superficially, looked a lot like Trozei.

The route they're taking with it though does disturb me. I only just got my first smart phone a couple of months ago, and the number of so-called "free to play" games that really weren't free was culture shock to me. I hope this isn't the start of a new trend. I'll play to whatever extant that I can play it having remain free, but I don't see myself pouring money into it.

Another question, is this game another cross over with that puzzle series mentioned before they announced this? I rewatched the video, and they seemed to look exactly the same, they were placed right next to each other, and they made no comment about them be different, but at the same time, they never said they were the same.
I've played candy crush (probably the most infamous free to play game ever) for literally years and it IS 100% free if you have an ounce of self control. I have spent exactly $0 on the game. Don't get tempted by extra power ups, lives, etc and you will be fine. With how much I've spent on Nintendo stuff recently it's kind of nice to have something free and I think its cool that they might attract a different type of person who likes those games more over to pokemon. If you don't like it, don't play it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I've played candy crush (probably the most infamous free to play game ever) for literally years and it IS 100% free if you have an ounce of self control. I have spent exactly $0 on the game. Don't get tempted by extra power ups, lives, etc and you will be fine. With how much I've spent on Nintendo stuff recently it's kind of nice to have something free and I think its cool that they might attract a different type of person who likes those games more over to pokemon. If you don't like it, don't play it.

The problem is that the F2P system intentionally puts in time limits and makes the experience very grindy to encourage you to pay for the microtransactions. So you lose either way, either you have to pay out the *** to play them or be limited to when you can play it.

Zachmac

The problem is that the F2P system intentionally puts in time limits and makes the experience very grindy to encourage you to pay for the microtransactions. So you lose either way, either you have to pay out the *** to play them or be limited to when you can play it.
The good news is that these games don't hold my attention for long periods of time anyway. I know that I will, at least, only play it in short burst regardless.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The good news is that these games don't hold my attention for long periods of time anyway. I know that I will, at least, only play it in short burst regardless.

If you don't, that's fine, but it's still pretty sleazy for the developer to tell you when you can or can't play.