1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Direct Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by AuraChannelerChris, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dragalge

Dragalge ⎝╲⎝⧹⎝╲⎝⧹Turk⧸⎠╱⎠⧸⎠╱⎠

My overall thoughts on the Direct

Pros:
    - Good start with Luigi’s Mansion 3
    - 3DS titles were talked about quickly
    - Sooo many games announced in one Direct!
    - Animal Crossing 2019 + Isabelle in Smash
    - Final Fantasy support
    - Yoshi’s Crafted World looks decent
    - I’ll get to the actual criticism in the cons but the montage with the Mario characters in the Nintendo Online Service was both hilarious and adorable lol

Cons:
    - The way they presented the special offers felt like they just wanted to be done having the thing talked about. Don’t leave me hanging, Nintendo!

Overall a fine Direct with the Online Service presentation being my biggest gripe (mainly being the special offer thing)

2. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Mediocre Direct. Again, Nintendo keeps falling short of even my reduced expectations and offering next to nothing that interests me. Luigi's Mansion 3 was a nice surprise, but everything else was garbage and they didn't even announce any filler games that I wanted. Was hoping to see Prime Trilogy HD and/or Spyro Reignited but neither of them showed up. As it stands I have next to nothing to look forward to for the next 9 months or so with only Smash Ultimate and Yoshi being the only games of interest. And they told us almost nothing we didn't already know about the online and I still don't see nearly enough to justify the cost, when we see substantial rewards and retro games that aren't just the same NES games we've played 500 times, then we'll talk. Pathetic showing for this fiscal year Nintendo. Way to let my Switch collect dust.

Even before then, we rarely saw substantial announcements in a plain old Direct. Usually it was just a trailer or an in depth look at a particular mechanic on a previously revealed game. In general, going into a Direct expecting announcements on an unannounced 1st party game or to reveal concrete information on a title we know nothing about (as is the case with say, Metroid Prime 4 or the 2019 Pokemon game right now) is usually unrealistic, those kinds of announcements are typically reserved for E3. The Nintendo Directs are usually smaller announcements meant to tide you over for the next couple of months.

Really, I'd say that filling them with remakes, ports, DLC, and third party games is a more effective way of accomplishing that. That's the primary purpose of those types of games, and the fact that we have more of them shows the Switch has a lot more going for it than say, the Wii U. The larger issue here is that they have next to nothing in terms of large scale 1st party projects for the coming year with all of the announced games people are anticipating being 2019 or later. Don't expect a Nintendo Direct to fix that, the primary purpose of Nintendo Directs seems to be to provide filler in between E3s.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Minedreigon likes this.
  3. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

Guess it's time to start reading books or go outside.

4. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I felt excited and interested in a few of the games featured and mentioned. I’m especially hyped for Smash Ultimate, the FF main games, The World Ends With You Final Remix, Yoshi’s Crafted World, LGPE, and Kirby Epic Yarn for the 3DS.

5. Bolt the Cat

Well I do have a long list of older games I'm interested in playing that I can whittle down in the meantime, so it's not as if I have nothing to do. But it's still not good. A hardcore gamer should have more than 2 AAA games to play in 6 months, that's pretty barren.

6. Hydrohs

I hate to break it to you, but you're not a hardcore gamer if you only play games on one (current) system from essentially one publisher.

Dragalge and AuraChannelerChris like this.
  7. Bolt the Cat

Hardcore gaming is defined by how many hours you spend playing, not how many systems you own. You can play one system and still be a hardcore gamer, especially on Nintendo which has a much larger stable of IPs than the other devs. I would appreciate it if you didn't criticize my tastes in gaming thank you very much.

And for the record, I do have a PS4 as a secondary console but there's not much to play on that right now either. It's a bad year for gaming in both quantity and quality really.

lemoncatpower likes this.
  8. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Hardcore gaming is defined by nothing. It has no meaning. It certainly isn’t defined by “how many hours you spend playing.” What are the rules there, exactly?

Seems like here it tries to mean “I do X, Y, and Z, which is why it matters more when I said this Direct is bad and Nintendo is in trouble.

And if you have a Switch and a PS4 but you’re claiming it’s been an awful year for gaming, maybe the games aren’t the problem? I’m not criticizing being picky. Games are expensive and sometimes it just doesn’t feel worth the risk to try something unfamiliar. But when I say “I’d love to try this game, but I’m not positive I’ll enjoy it and I don’t want to spend the money on it,” I don’t follow it up by saying “...and that’s why it’s been a terrible year in both quality and quantity.” Maybe video games just don’t float your boat like they may once have.

04n70n10 likes this.
  9. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Nintendo is my go to video game company but I also will play Sony but all I have right now are a PS3 and Vita. The 3DS And Switch are what i have been playing the most recently because I’m moving and packed up my Wii and PS3 and my Vita is having issues right now.

10. Hydrohs

I'm having a pretty easy time keeping myself occupied with current releases, and even when I'm not, it doesn't bother me. Sometimes companies don't make games I like, that's fine.

11. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Honestly, Ever since the release of the Switch, Sony and Microsoft just seem to pale in comparison.

The only non-Nintendos game I've been interested in these last couple of years are Tekken 7 and Soulcalibur VI, and I'm patiently waiting for both to be ported to the Switch, the latter already being noted by the creative director to be a likely event.

12. Bolt the Cat

Um, no it's not meaningless. Hardcore vs. casual gaming affects a game's marketing and design for one (such as with LGPE), and it also affects whether or not a gamer will buy a handful of games or multiple games. There's no real "rules" that define what is or isn't a hardcore gamer, it's probably more accurate to view it as a spectrum with most gamers falling somewhere in between, but the distinction does matter within the context of target demographics.

No, it is the games. There's been less games this year across the board than usual and the ones we do have are either ports, remakes, or have generic gameplay. My tastes haven't really gotten pickier over time, if anything I've been stepping out of my comfort zone more and more the last couple of years. The industry just flat out isn't delivering this year.

13. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris 2 Cool 4 8-Bit School

You ain't hardcore.

You're just very pessimistic and feel like the industry owns you or something.

14. Hydrohs

Try to tell me again that Monster Hunter has generic gameplay.

15. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

It's been over a week. Don't you think it's time to lock up for now?

16. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

I was initially turned off by the Direct only because I wanted to see a certain character for Smash and didn't get it, but that's my own fault.

Looking back, I see it was a damn good Direct. I am pretty freakin' excited for the Final Fantasy games, as I am slowly getting into the series. The Yoshi game looks dope, and I am all for my little green buddy getting more solo games. While the paid service info was just repetitive nonsense, I'm still prepared to buy it this October (waiting a little longer).

There are still existing Switch titles I have yet to get, so I will definitely be stretching my catalogue over the next couple of years. I would do it sooner, but you know, bills.